CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

2012 Brunello Di Montalcino

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/1/2017 6:02:38 PM   
WineGuyCO

I did a search and didn't see any thread on this so sorry if there is one. Given the current state of generally really high prices of top Cab, Burgundy, California Pinot Noir, Rhone etc. given the quality of 2012 Brunello this seems like a no brainer.

I know it was a hot drought year and if the wines aren't over ripe I just don't know why you wouldn't add a bunch of bottles that can be found in the $40-$50 range?? I bought some Altesino and Castiglione Del Bosco but I'm thinking of adding more.

Anybody tasted any of these yet? I have several 2010's already doing there cool thing but as far as QPR this has got to be one of the worlds greatest values. Anybody buying this vintage in a meaningful way?

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 10/1/2017 6:12:24 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/1/2017 7:27:38 PM   
CranBurgundy

Skipped 2012 in favor of 2013. It seemed a little less bold of a vintage, and since I already had plenty of 2010 (another ripe vintage) to cellar for a decade or longer, I didn't need any more requiring so much patience.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 2
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/1/2017 7:51:46 PM   
Scott W

Agree with Cran I pretty much skipped 12, but I found some delicious 11 Collosorbo's that are ready to drink IMHO.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/1/2017 8:22:32 PM   
CranBurgundy

Rick, as a PDC (Purple Dranking Cretin) who favors a New World ripe profile, you should look for some bottles with a decade or more on them to see how Brunello ages. 2007 was a very good year in Italy, without being hugely tannic or having searing acidity, so they're VERY drinkable with a few hours of decanter time. 2000 and 2001 also fit this profile, '01 moreso than '00. You can easily find 1997 and 1998 too, and they're worth trying. All of them will still be relatively fresh, except you might pay a premium for the '97 vintage. All that being said, I think 2004 is the best vintage of the last 2 decades and many Italian wines from that year should be just entering a nice window unless they're tannic monsters.

You should skip 2002 and most of 2003, along with 2005. '02 is a horrendous year, and there's too much inconsistency with '03 and '05. 1999 might still need a lot of time as it was a bold tannic vintage.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 4
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/2/2017 5:36:16 AM   
KPB

I visited Montalcino in December (a miserable period for visiting there, cold and muddy, and the leaves are all down...). I spent a day with a local producer, Matt Fioretti, the winemaker at Cerbaiona. We tasted a number of wines during the day, including his 2012 and 2013s and 2014s, the latter from barrel, and the 2015. Then tasted wines at some neighbors. I was pretty impressed and I wouldn’t say that the distinction in style some reviewers have reported was evident to me. Neither vintage was as lush and fruit forward as the 2010s were on release, but both seem to have been outstanding for that area.

And I do plan to buy 2012 Brunello. My cellar is kind of full, but if I had room, I would certainly get a few cases. As it is, I’ve ordered a few bottles of top wines. Wonderful stuff!

At lunch, Matt tried to convince me that Cerbaiona should be consumed fairly young, within ten years or so of being bottled. He did this by opening some older bottles. Honestly, I was actually not convinced at all. But I wouldn’t say that Sangiovesi is a grape that blossoms with age. With age the fruit recedes and the acidity becomes a bit more evident, but the nose evolves and gains spicy complexity and floral dimensions that aren’t so obvious in the young, rather primary wines soon after release. Matt felt that by age 20 a kind of rancio tone creeps into the nose, and that the acidity can be a little shrill. I get that, but I would have called these secondary to the main story. Still, Matt has a point. Based on my mini vertical, I would say that these wines hit a peak fairly early, maybe within 15 years, and in the case of 2010, the wines have actually been amazing to drink right from the get-go and haven’t shut down either, at least from my cellar.

I’ve been drinking some of the 2006 Brunello from my cellar, and they seem as good as they are likely to get. Sort of confirms my impressions that age 11or 12 is the start of the peak drinking period for these wines.

In our modern world, nobody really buys wines to cellar for twenty years in any case, so Brunello seems like a perfect choice...

So while 2012 and 2013 are both outstanding vintages as far as my limited exposure lets me extrapolate, I would also say that that neither is as lush as 2010 was on release, and that while 2010 was perhaps already at a kind of early peak on release, 2012 will want two or three years in the cellar, and 2013 might, too. But both would seem capable of aging for a long time, despite what the winemaker may say! Neither is likely to still be gaining in complexity and quality by age 20, but both may still be really delicious...

< Message edited by KPB -- 10/2/2017 5:39:14 AM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

Post #: 5
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/2/2017 10:52:02 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Rick, as a PDC (Purple Dranking Cretin) who favors a New World ripe profile, you should look for some bottles with a decade or more on them to see how Brunello ages. 2007 was a very good year in Italy, without being hugely tannic or having searing acidity, so they're VERY drinkable with a few hours of decanter time. 2000 and 2001 also fit this profile, '01 moreso than '00. You can easily find 1997 and 1998 too, and they're worth trying. All of them will still be relatively fresh, except you might pay a premium for the '97 vintage. All that being said, I think 2004 is the best vintage of the last 2 decades and many Italian wines from that year should be just entering a nice window unless they're tannic monsters.

You should skip 2002 and most of 2003, along with 2005. '02 is a horrendous year, and there's too much inconsistency with '03 and '05. 1999 might still need a lot of time as it was a bold tannic vintage.

I had a fair amount of 2007 Brunello in my cellar but it was so good I drank it all I need to buy some bottles of 2007 to drink while I wait for my 2010's amd 2012/2 to develop. I have just over a case of 2010 so I didn't go that big. I will add in some 2012 and either 2011 or 2013 to fill in some sopts and to have some Brunello to drink right away.

Rick

Post #: 6
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/2/2017 10:59:19 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I visited Montalcino in December (a miserable period for visiting there, cold and muddy, and the leaves are all down...). I spent a day with a local producer, Matt Fioretti, the winemaker at Cerbaiona. We tasted a number of wines during the day, including his 2012 and 2013s and 2014s, the latter from barrel, and the 2015. Then tasted wines at some neighbors. I was pretty impressed and I wouldn’t say that the distinction in style some reviewers have reported was evident to me. Neither vintage was as lush and fruit forward as the 2010s were on release, but both seem to have been outstanding for that area.

And I do plan to buy 2012 Brunello. My cellar is kind of full, but if I had room, I would certainly get a few cases. As it is, I’ve ordered a few bottles of top wines. Wonderful stuff!

At lunch, Matt tried to convince me that Cerbaiona should be consumed fairly young, within ten years or so of being bottled. He did this by opening some older bottles. Honestly, I was actually not convinced at all. But I wouldn’t say that Sangiovesi is a grape that blossoms with age. With age the fruit recedes and the acidity becomes a bit more evident, but the nose evolves and gains spicy complexity and floral dimensions that aren’t so obvious in the young, rather primary wines soon after release. Matt felt that by age 20 a kind of rancio tone creeps into the nose, and that the acidity can be a little shrill. I get that, but I would have called these secondary to the main story. Still, Matt has a point. Based on my mini vertical, I would say that these wines hit a peak fairly early, maybe within 15 years, and in the case of 2010, the wines have actually been amazing to drink right from the get-go and haven’t shut down either, at least from my cellar.

I’ve been drinking some of the 2006 Brunello from my cellar, and they seem as good as they are likely to get. Sort of confirms my impressions that age 11or 12 is the start of the peak drinking period for these wines.

In our modern world, nobody really buys wines to cellar for twenty years in any case, so Brunello seems like a perfect choice...

So while 2012 and 2013 are both outstanding vintages as far as my limited exposure lets me extrapolate, I would also say that that neither is as lush as 2010 was on release, and that while 2010 was perhaps already at a kind of early peak on release, 2012 will want two or three years in the cellar, and 2013 might, too. But both would seem capable of aging for a long time, despite what the winemaker may say! Neither is likely to still be gaining in complexity and quality by age 20, but both may still be really delicious...

I find 10 plus years is the sweetspot for Brunello.It is so great with a little age on it. Cran mentioned 1997, 1998 and 1999 and I drank a LOT of Brunello during those vintages. They were so wonderful. A friend of mine and I split 3 cases of Il Pggione during those years and thoroughly enjoyed every bottle. I've only tried one bottle of 2010 and it was a BIG mistake. Uccelliera. It was so tannic and closed and I was so mad at myself for opening it but I just wanted to try it. It will be so good in another couple of years. I'm going to add some 2012 of several producers and just let them sit for a while. I'm a HUGE fan of this wine and given the prices a steal in the market but don't tell anybody except for other CTers. Now in search of some 2007.Thanks for the input.

Rick

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 7
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/4/2017 8:06:53 PM   
KPB

Had the 2012 Reneiri BdM tonight at a local restaurant. Way better than the VM 87 rating had me expecting, but maybe not quite at the JS 95 rating level from a sticker on the label. For me quite good, less ripe than 2010, needed decanting but very happy to have gone for it. My TN is under KPB.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 8
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 10:24:31 AM   
ob2s

$32 BdM

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 9
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 10:52:07 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

I find 10 plus years is the sweetspot for Brunello.

Rick

The 2006 Loacker Brunello di Montalcino Corte Pavone is drinking really well now.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 10
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 12:30:48 PM   
hankj

quote:

Ken thanks for this. Debatable characterization, but very clearly articulates my loose, mostly un-examined impressions of the Brunello aging curve. Like Matt, for me Brunello's window is a narrow one - has to be old enough to scrub down the tannins, but the "rancio" aspect sets in pretty quickly too. I get the feeling that some of mine from firmer years (like '10, the big wines from '06) might never actually hit the post-mouth full of oak splinters, pre-rancio window I favor, but rather wood and rancio will overlap.

Again all debatable, but I think it can be safely said that, unlikely BDX for instance, once you feel happy about a given Brunello that's your window; don't be afraid to start drinking it up because your window closes sooner than you think.

< Message edited by hankj -- 10/6/2017 12:33:07 PM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 11
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 12:48:48 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

$32 BdM

As far I could figure out this is relabeled 2012 Piancornello - $50 a bottle for the original label is the norm. In for 4, which is the cut off for free shipping.

Thanks for the heads up ob2s!

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 12
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 12:50:44 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

quote:

Ken thanks for this. Debatable characterization, but very clearly articulates my loose, mostly un-examined impressions of the Brunello aging curve. Like Matt, for me Brunello's window is a narrow one - has to be old enough to scrub down the tannins, but the "rancio" aspect sets in pretty quickly too. I get the feeling that some of mine from firmer years (like '10, the big wines from '06) might never actually hit the post-mouth full of oak splinters, pre-rancio window I favor, but rather wood and rancio will overlap.

Again all debatable, but I think it can be safely said that, unlikely BDX for instance, once you feel happy about a given Brunello that's your window; don't be afraid to start drinking it up because your window closes sooner than you think.

I completely agree with this. My experience has also been that they can start and lose fruit very quickly at a certain age. Case in point is 2 bottles of 2007 Altesino Brunello that I drank in the last two weeks. Now Altesino is not a long ager to begin with so you need to know the producer. That being said, I wouldn't have thought that the wine would be losing fruit so soon and that the rancio notes on the nose would be present in a wine this young.

Uccelliera on the other hand, is a long ager and so this is more difficult to drink when young. Especially in tannic years like 2010. Some of the 2010's like Altesino are enjoyable right now and Uccelliera is not. It's completely closed, tannic and devoid of much fruit. It's there, it's just buried.

The 2007 Altesino could have also been heat cooked which would account for the early maturation. I bought from a reputable wine store but that always creeps up in my mind. I like drinking Brunello 8-10 years after Vintage. I prefer more fruit and less rancio and I also don't like my wines getting "past" their prime where I wished I'd drank them earlier. Interesting take on Brunello however. Barolo now..........That's a different animal. 15-20 years and it's just getting started.

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 13
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 1:01:39 PM   
hankj

quote:

quote:

quote:

I completely agree with this. My experience has also been that they can start and lose fruit very quickly at a certain age. Case in point is 2 bottles of 2007 Altesino Brunello that I drank in the last two weeks. Now Altesino is not a long ager to begin with so you need to know the producer. That being said, I wouldn't have thought that the wine would be losing fruit so soon and that the rancio notes on the nose would be present in a wine this young.

Uccelliera on the other hand, is a long ager and so this is more difficult to drink when young. Especially in tannic years like 2010. Some of the 2010's like Altesino are enjoyable right now and Uccelliera is not. It's completely closed, tannic and devoid of much fruit. It's there, it's just buried.

The 2007 Altesino could have also been heat cooked which would account for the early maturation. I bought from a reputable wine store but that always creeps up in my mind. I like drinking Brunello 8-10 years after Vintage. I prefer more fruit and less rancio and I also don't like my wines getting "past" their prime where I wished I'd drank them earlier. Interesting take on Brunello however. Barolo now..........That's a different animal. 15-20 years and it's just getting started.

Rick

Rick thanks for the information here. I think I have half a case of 2007 Altesino, but the fancier one, the Montosoli. Haven't tried one yet but will very soon to get a temperature ... hopefully not going down hill just yet :)

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 14
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 1:11:08 PM   
WineGuyCO

hankj,

The 2007 Montosoli will be fine but since you have a few it might be worth trying. The Reserve Brunellos tend to go much longer. I would think that if it isn't in the window yet it's pretty close. I bet it's in the window.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 10/6/2017 1:12:51 PM >

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 15
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 1:34:09 PM   
Slye

I still have a fair number of 1997s sitting in the cellar (28 bottles in 13 different wines CT tells me). In February 2016 I hosted a tasting of about a dozen Tuscan wines from 1997, and I was incredibly surprised at how well some of them were holding up, including Argiano (which I rated a 92); Fanti (a 91, placing 6 out of 11); Castello Banfi (92 points); Casanova di Neri (89); La Fiorita (a beautiful wine, which I scored at 93); Tenuta Friggiali (90); Pietranera (this was by far the worst -- 82; this was stewy and without much fruit or complexity); Tenute Silvio Nardi (94 -- this was the group's number 1); and Validacava (91).

I am not sure why I did not record the group rankings except for a few of them. My impression was that some of these could last a good while longer.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 16
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 1:59:58 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

I still have a fair number of 1997s sitting in the cellar (28 bottles in 13 different wines CT tells me). In February 2016 I hosted a tasting of about a dozen Tuscan wines from 1997, and I was incredibly surprised at how well some of them were holding up, including Argiano (which I rated a 92); Fanti (a 91, placing 6 out of 11); Castello Banfi (92 points); Casanova di Neri (89); La Fiorita (a beautiful wine, which I scored at 93); Tenuta Friggiali (90); Pietranera (this was by far the worst -- 82; this was stewy and without much fruit or complexity); Tenute Silvio Nardi (94 -- this was the group's number 1); and Validacava (91).

I am not sure why I did not record the group rankings except for a few of them. My impression was that some of these could last a good while longer.

I drank those with you Ron, and definitely was happiest with the ones that came across as freshest and still somewhat fruity; turned off by the ones that seemed older. Our palates are pretty similar and "instruments" about equally sensitive - where we most differ is in reaction to older heavier red wines. You appreciate the "rancio" type of funk; I dislike that aspect of decaying alcohols/organic compounds.

Some very good wines in that big flight you provided to be sure though - not complaining! Looking forward to the next big flight of big reds you're bringing us in a few weeks, and not even so old this time around ;)

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 17
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 2:00:58 PM   
hankj

quote:

hankj,

The 2007 Montosoli will be fine but since you have a few it might be worth trying. The Reserve Brunellos tend to go much longer. I would think that if it isn't in the window yet it's pretty close. I bet it's in the window.

Rick

Thanks for the advice - if I pop one before this thread drops off into obscurity I'll let you know how it went :)

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 18
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 2:31:11 PM   
Yossarian

Some really interesting posts on this thread - KPB makes some interesting points I've never considered - the English default setting with regards to wine is "the older the better" so I read with interest about the age spans and how it might be better to drink "younger". I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) that the US is the biggest market for Italian wines outside of Italy, so I think you guys have much more choice than we do in England. There is still great choice here, but the US seems to be the go-to export market for our mad Italian friends.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 19
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 2:56:48 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

I think (and please correct me if I am wrong) that the US is the biggest market for Italian wines outside of Italy

That's because we have more Italians here than in Italy. Especially in the Philly to NY area.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 20
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 3:01:07 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

"Holding Up" is quite a bit different than drinking in the optimal window. Holding up to me means that the wines for the most part are way past their prime but are still just Ok?

As Yossarian mentioned, some people like older wines better than when they are younger. I am not in that camp. Everybody is different. I was just in Valpolicella recently and was drinking a lot of 2012 and 2013 Amarone and it was great. I do like it better with a little more age on it but they are nice with the vibrant fruit and more structure. It's a fine line and I'm sure everyone here has their own preference as to when they like to drink certain wines. There isn't a right or wrong. I see people drinking 2014 and 2015 Caymus Special Selection in restaurants around here and I just shake my head but it's their money.

Rick

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 21
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 3:21:36 PM   
hankj

Well took my all of 90 minutes to pop that 2007 Altesino Montosoli

And yep, thanks Rick, it's right in my wheelhouse.

It's a big and little wine: big aromatics, very long finish. Subtle and refined aroma channels, gentle resolved tannins. Relatively transparent, WWR progressing slowly to a mildly orange-y pale garnet core, no bricking at all, crystal clear. The cherry character is Kirshy but clean and crisp, not syrupy. Oak is fine, limited but along with the skin tannin asserts itself in ideal balance. Mild and pleasant barnyard funk laced with good-smelling dirt. Slight orange peel and gin botanicals aspect. All subtle and yet a big easy nose and very long. Not even remotely hot and also no push over. Seems almost similar to a feminine Barolo in some ways.

Really love it. Would take some more tertiary - some tea, (more) sandalwood, mushroom would be great. But not sure I want to trade the perfect balance ad beautiful settled-in freshness for it.

I think it's spot on timing wise now and into the next 3 years; Slye probably would let it rest another 10.

Anyway thanks, fully stoked on this Friday first pour!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 22
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 3:35:52 PM   
Slye

quote:

quote:

"Holding Up" is quite a bit different than drinking in the optimal window. Holding up to me means that the wines for the most part are way past their prime but are still just Ok?

As Yossarian mentioned, some people like older wines better than when they are younger. I am not in that camp. Everybody is different. I was just in Valpolicella recently and was drinking a lot of 2012 and 2013 Amarone and it was great. I do like it better with a little more age on it but they are nice with the vibrant fruit and more structure. It's a fine line and I'm sure everyone here has their own preference as to when they like to drink certain wines. There isn't a right or wrong. I see people drinking 2014 and 2015 Caymus Special Selection in restaurants around here and I just shake my head but it's their money.

Rick

Good point. For me it is not holding up, but in a prime drinking window. BUT, as hankj has noted, I tend to prefer wines with a bit of age on them. Not that I cant appreciate a younger wine -- I just love the subtlety that comes with older wines. But wines do get over the hill for me. That was definitely the case with the Pietrenara (though not clear if it would have been better earlier or not?).

While some commit infanticide, I am more likely to engage in euthanasia......

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 23
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 6:17:59 PM   
Eddie

Harrumph. Someone here, please pour me a Brunello that's "too old". I'm still trying to find one. My palate gravitates toward wines that are "long in the tooth"....

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 24
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/6/2017 6:57:12 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

Well took my all of 90 minutes to pop that 2007 Altesino Montosoli

And yep, thanks Rick, it's right in my wheelhouse.

It's a big and little wine: big aromatics, very long finish. Subtle and refined aroma channels, gentle resolved tannins. Relatively transparent, WWR progressing slowly to a mildly orange-y pale garnet core, no bricking at all, crystal clear. The cherry character is Kirshy but clean and crisp, not syrupy. Oak is fine, limited but along with the skin tannin asserts itself in ideal balance. Mild and pleasant barnyard funk laced with good-smelling dirt. Slight orange peel and gin botanicals aspect. All subtle and yet a big easy nose and very long. Not even remotely hot and also no push over. Seems almost similar to a feminine Barolo in some ways.

Really love it. Would take some more tertiary - some tea, (more) sandalwood, mushroom would be great. But not sure I want to trade the perfect balance ad beautiful settled-in freshness for it.

I think it's spot on timing wise now and into the next 3 years; Slye probably would let it rest another 10.

Anyway thanks, fully stoked on this Friday first pour!

That's awesome you popped it tonight!! GREAT Friday First Pour.!! I'm imagining how great this is. So what do you think? Will it get much better? Still tannic to go many years? Not rancio yet? Still lots of fruit?

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 25
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/7/2017 10:58:32 AM   
hankj

Rick the wine has structure but in balance with relatively light extraction. It's easy drinking and balanced right now. Ideally I'd like it best with more age and its current level of tannic backbone. But more age with this one is going to trade off against losing structure. It still has nice fruit, not even remotely soda pop like, rather dry and crisp and in equal measure to secondary aromas. Tertiaries like tea and mushroom would make it perfect, but by the time those really build in the wine's tannins will be lowish and the rancio more prominent.

To my palate anyway. For me window is now until 2022. For old wine palates wherein acid steps in front of tannins and primary notes fade to fully dried it could go a whole lot longer.

To thanks for prompting me to open one - would have let it lie too long otherwise.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 26
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/7/2017 3:30:47 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

Rick the wine has structure but in balance with relatively light extraction. It's easy drinking and balanced right now. Ideally I'd like it best with more age and its current level of tannic backbone. But more age with this one is going to trade off against losing structure. It still has nice fruit, not even remotely soda pop like, rather dry and crisp and in equal measure to secondary aromas. Tertiaries like tea and mushroom would make it perfect, but by the time those really build in the wine's tannins will be lowish and the rancio more prominent.

To my palate anyway. For me window is now until 2022. For old wine palates wherein acid steps in front of tannins and primary notes fade to fully dried it could go a whole lot longer.

To thanks for prompting me to open one - would have let it lie too long otherwise.

Glad it's in the window. Brunello can be tannic but it's rarely overextracted to my taste. That's why I love Brunello so much. No matter when you drink it is always so floral and easy to drink (except in the early tannic years) The greatest expression of Sangiovese by far. I don't think I'll ever get tired of drinking this. Can't wait to read your review.

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 27
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/11/2017 3:53:03 PM   
Wine_Strategies

I tasted a few (ok, all of them) earlier this year 2012 BdM, here's part I

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 28
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/11/2017 3:56:58 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

If you prefer the dumbed-down version of things, you should stop reading now.

Luv it!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 29
RE: 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino - 10/11/2017 6:11:32 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

I tasted a few (ok, all of them) earlier this year 2012 BdM, here's part I

Which is more over ripe 2010 or 2012? Which vintage do you like better and why? Your pictures are incredible. Manca Italia.

Rick

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2012 Brunello Di Montalcino Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI