CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 1:43:53 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

The dryness, particularly on the finish, is most certainly tannin. Strong reds need years to resolve. The problem some people have is that as the tannins / polyphenols bond and form sediment, they also bond with some of the flavor and color molecules so the wine loses some fruit and starts to lighten to what's often described as "brick" on the edge. Personally, I like a well resolved wine that has developed nice secondary / tertiary notes yet still has decent fruit.

+1

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 121
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 2:13:14 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

Well...Finally a Washington Syrah I can get my arms around. I still need to drink more Reynvaan but it's a different style. Opened a 2009 Betz La Cote Rousse Red Mountain. I like it YAY !!! So far I'd give it a 90 but only been opened an hour.

Nice dark purple, nice fruit and more of a Syrah that I'm used to but not as sweet and over ripe which I really like. The only knock I have is it has a certain dryness or dried out taste but not horrible? Is this dried tannins? Trying to think if this is something I've tasted before but don't think so. Would like other opinions on what this dryness is. It was worse on opening and seems to be getting better though.

This will be great with pepperoni homemade pizza. Diet is out the door. Eff It....Holiday Season has started

Rick

Do you mean a mouthdrying effect aka. astringency or a dry taste (as opposed to sweetness)? The first one is - as Cran said - most certainly tannins. Tannins normally aren't perceived as a taste, but instead as a mouthdrying sensation. They also contribute to the texture and mouthfeel of the wine. Only in massively tannic wines the concentration starts to get so high that the tannins can be also tasted as a rather bitter taste. However, the second one (non-sweet taste) could be practically anything.

Also, there is no such thing as "dried tannins". :)

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 122
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 11:58:09 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

quote:

Well...Finally a Washington Syrah I can get my arms around. I still need to drink more Reynvaan but it's a different style. Opened a 2009 Betz La Cote Rousse Red Mountain. I like it YAY !!! So far I'd give it a 90 but only been opened an hour.

Nice dark purple, nice fruit and more of a Syrah that I'm used to but not as sweet and over ripe which I really like. The only knock I have is it has a certain dryness or dried out taste but not horrible? Is this dried tannins? Trying to think if this is something I've tasted before but don't think so. Would like other opinions on what this dryness is. It was worse on opening and seems to be getting better though.

This will be great with pepperoni homemade pizza. Diet is out the door. Eff It....Holiday Season has started

Rick

Do you mean a mouthdrying effect aka. astringency or a dry taste (as opposed to sweetness)? The first one is - as Cran said - most certainly tannins. Tannins normally aren't perceived as a taste, but instead as a mouthdrying sensation. They also contribute to the texture and mouthfeel of the wine. Only in massively tannic wines the concentration starts to get so high that the tannins can be also tasted as a rather bitter taste. However, the second one (non-sweet taste) could be practically anything.

Also, there is no such thing as "dried tannins". :)

When I taste young wines I know they are tannic when they are covering up the fruit and are mostly unapproachable. This was just a general dryness of the taste. I'm trying to remember if I've tasted that before. Most Syrah I drink has a certain sweetness to it. This wine not only wasn't sweet but had a "dry" finish to it (hardness). I Don't think it was a tannin thing but no idea what it was. I read dry tannins in a review once so kind of just used it because I didn't have a better description. ChrisinSunnyside says he has a bottle so when he drinks it maybe he can describe what this is to all of us.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 11/16/2017 11:59:50 AM >

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 123
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 2:02:26 PM   
Slye

It sounds like it might be an absence of fruit, or perhaps a bitterness near the end/finish?

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 124
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 3:09:50 PM   
hankj

That sensation of bitter dryness that covers up fruit in younger wine is mostly oak tannin.

The other meaning of dry that you notice in the Betz Syrah and refer to, low or no residual sugar, come into play as well. Follow me here:

I've complained now for a decade at least about this aspect of big, extracted, structured WA wines (I know, big surprise ...): they are fermented to bone dry (or close) leaving no residual sugar to buffer the effects of all that structure. Woodinville in particular has made tens of thousand of gallons of big red wines in this style. But big, extracted, structured reds need a little bit of RS or else they come across as harsh because without the sugar you taste the tannin and the alcohol more. Think about Amarone, or Port - both would be intolerably dry/harsh/bitter without the sweetness. So many of these big WA reds are built as big as an Amarone, or a huge Napa Cab, or a Paso Zin, but those wines have more RS to buffer and balance the harshness that comes with more of everything. Some only have a little more sugar and drink as if they are quite dry, but that little is enough to smooth things out.

To be fair to Washington, I drink fewer and fewer great big truly bone dry WA red nowadays - it seems that the industry has refined in that aspect. But yeah, bone dry and not harsh are nearly always a "pick one" when it come to 15% ABV reds with a lot of stuffing.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 125
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 3:14:21 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

It sounds like it might be an absence of fruit, or perhaps a bitterness near the end/finish?

and Slye btw Cayuse does a great job of managing that little bit of RS - Though big fully packed wines with plenty of alcohol, Cayuse has smooth mouth feel and the tanninic aspects are under control. And yet to the palate they seem completely dry. CB is quite expert at managing balance while simultaneously leave terroir alone! I'm sure that's much harder than it seems ....

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 126
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 3:43:44 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

That sensation of bitter dryness that covers up fruit in younger wine is mostly oak tannin.

The other meaning of dry that you notice in the Betz Syrah and refer to, low or no residual sugar, come into play as well. Follow me here:

I've complained now for a decade at least about this aspect of big, extracted, structured WA wines (I know, big surprise ...): they are fermented to bone dry (or close) leaving no residual sugar to buffer the effects of all that structure. Woodinville in particular has made tens of thousand of gallons of big red wines in this style. But big, extracted, structured reds need a little bit of RS or else they come across as harsh because without the sugar you taste the tannin and the alcohol more. Think about Amarone, or Port - both would be intolerably dry/harsh/bitter without the sweetness. So many of these big WA reds are built as big as an Amarone, or a huge Napa Cab, or a Paso Zin, but those wines have more RS to buffer and balance the harshness that comes with more of everything. Some only have a little more sugar and drink as if they are quite dry, but that little is enough to smooth things out.

To be fair to Washington, I drink fewer and fewer great big truly bone dry WA red nowadays - it seems that the industry has refined in that aspect. But yeah, bone dry and not harsh are nearly always a "pick one" when it come to 15% ABV reds with a lot of stuffing.

I always learn something from you Hankj! This makes perfect sense.

I agree about Cayuse. Though I have had a few that seem flatter (not enough acidity I think). If my memory serves, it tends to be either the 2005s or 2006s (I think 05s actually). With that exception, I completely agree!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 127
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/16/2017 4:09:13 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

Wow.......This makes perfect sense and what a great explanation. The word "harshness" is what I was looking for even as mild as it was. So if they picked the grapes a little later they would have more RS and the harshness would go away? Interesting. I've also read that some wineries actual add sugar to the mix before fermentation maybe for this reason? I'm not a wine maker but great explanation.

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 128
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 12:40:32 AM   
forceberry

quote:

My oh my, this piece here must be a living and breathing example of the famous "American taste"! :D

I've visited many wineries that make very bold, tannic and structured reds and been to many tastings where these wineries are presenting their wines. Every once in a while I come across a wine that is unpleasantly sweet, soft and almost jammy, bearing no relation whatsoever to the style of the other wines nor the regional style. When I ask "what gives?", the answer is usually along the lines of "I don't know, apparently the love these kinds of wines in the USA, because this is our best-selling product".

I usually find red wines that are above the 2-3 g/l RS pretty jammy and more crowdpleasers than anything interesting. This is mainly because I'm a big fan of high acidity and contrary to what you say, residual sugar does not really mask tannins or bitterness, but instead acidity. That is why you can have sweeter German Rieslings with +10 g/l of acidity taste like normal wines and not battery acid. Contrary to your evidence, Amarone is noticeably bitter because of its very high dry extract - especially towards the end of the aftertaste. Also young Vintage Port is often almost forbiddingly tannic, despite its 100 g/l of residual sugar. Also, because of the high residual sugar, I find many US wines quite unpleasantly sweet and often quite jammy. Of course there are lots of fully dry wines - some that are really wonderful - and every once in a blue moon I come across a well-made wine with higher RS, but it's pretty difficult to find those nice wines when if you can't see the technical analyses first.

I've seen some argue that the bitterness from the oak often comes from many other compounds than wood tannins, because modern coopers try to leach out all the wood tannins by conditioning the oak planks to rain for years before crafting them into barrels. The excessively harsh and bitter wood tannins (also a key contributor to the green dill note of American oak barrels) tend to be more a thing of the past and the bitterness chiefly comes from compounds like coumarin and lignans (also a polyphenolic, like tannin, yet distinct).

quote:

Wow.......This makes perfect sense and what a great explanation. The word "harshness" is what I was looking for even as mild as it was. So if they picked the grapes a little later they would have more RS and the harshness would go away? Interesting. I've also read that some wineries actual add sugar to the mix before fermentation maybe for this reason? I'm not a wine maker but great explanation.

Actually, picking more ripe grapes results in more sugar in the must and, thus, higher potential alcohol, but it doesn't really have to do much with residual sugar. If you want to have some residual sugar, you have to halt the fermentation before the wine reaches complete dryness - usually by halting the fermentation by cooling the wine so that yest activity stops, then stunning the yeast with big enough dose of sulfite and finally filteriing the yeast out. The another way to do this is to let the wine finish the fermentation, filter the yeast off and then add rectified grape must concentrate (viscous, syrupy stuff made from cooking most of the water off from red wine must) to increase the color and RS of the wine.

Of course, if you make a 14,5% dry wine and you want to have 10 g/l of residual sugar, you have to halt the fermentation at 14%. If you want to have the wine at 14,5% and still have the 10 g/l RS, you have to let the grapes ripen more so they accumulate more sugar so that the grapes reach potential alcohol of 15%, but the fermentation is halted at 14,5%. Of course this means that the wine will be lower in acidity, as the acidity drops as the grapes ripen.

Adding sugar to the must before fermentation does not result in RS, but instead in higher potential alcohol. This is called chaptalisation and it is used chiefly in cooler regions where the wines might struggle to reach high enough potential alcohol. Adding sugar to the wine to contribute to the residual sugar and sweetness is in many parts of the world forbidden, and where it isn't it is often frowned upon.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 129
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 7:01:09 AM   
hankj

quote:

My oh my, this piece here must be a living and breathing example of the famous "American taste"! :D

I've visited many wineries that make very bold, tannic and structured reds and been to many tastings where these wineries are presenting their wines. Every once in a while I come across a wine that is unpleasantly sweet, soft and almost jammy, bearing no relation whatsoever to the style of the other wines nor the regional style. When I ask "what gives?", the answer is usually along the lines of "I don't know, apparently the love these kinds of wines in the USA, because this is our best-selling product".

Not even close Forceberry. I dislike Belle Glos and Blue Eyed Boy probably more than you do.

RS in dry red wines is like salt in food - it needs just enough to not notice it's there. I think it must be hard to imagine the type of wine I'm referring to above as it isn't really made or exported to Europe.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 130
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 7:04:21 AM   
hankj

quote:

Rick

To be even more fair to Washington and Betz in particular, sometimes cellar time helps fix the harshness - some of the tannins bind and drop out of suspension, body of the wine thins a little, some of the alcohol softens up a little, and the wine finds balance.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 131
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 8:51:33 AM   
forceberry

quote:

Not even close Forceberry. I dislike Belle Glos and Blue Eyed Boy probably more than you do.

Phew, a good thing. You got me worried there for a bit. :D

quote:

RS in dry red wines is like salt in food - it needs just enough to not notice it's there. I think it must be hard to imagine the type of wine I'm referring to above as it isn't really made or exported to Europe.

I still beg to differ. I can easily tolerate some 2-3 g/l of residual sugar, because that's the range where most of the dry red wines normally reside. Although fermentation can stop at any point, usually any more than that requires some intervention from the part of the winemaker, which is the first thing that rubs me the wrong way.

Secondly, I can understand your analogy to salt in food, but the thing is that residual sugar does not really work that way. It boosts the sweetness of the fruit at the levels there the sugary sweetness is still imperceptible, but it really doesn't mask away the bitterness and tannins. The tannin thing is simple: tannins are bound to proteins, not carbohydrates - sugar does not do anything to them. Neither is sugar and tannins registered on our palate through same mechanisms, so they really don't counteract each other that way either. As I stated before, drinking a recent release of a Vintage Port is an easy way to prove this.

I can understand that an extracted full-throttle Syrah can be quite aggressive and unpleasant when it is young, but so does a Côte-Rôtie or a Hermitage. If you ask me, the easiest way around the problem in question is to age the wine so it softens up, not by spoofing it with extra RS. I can imagine you'd end up tarred and feathered if you went to Norther Rhône to ask them leave some RS to make their wines more palatable!

But you are correct that I haven't tasted the specific wine in question and rather rarely I get to taste these bone-dry WA Syrah extraction bombs, so all I'm talking here is based on assumptions. Still, just saying that leaving a few grams of RS into the wine to make it more approachable sends instant chills down my spine.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice you already discussed cellaring in a more recent post.

< Message edited by forceberry -- 11/17/2017 8:52:26 AM >

My CT profile

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 132
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 11:57:47 AM   
WineGuyCO

This is turning out to be quite the interesting thread not to pat myself on the back. Syrah lends itself to these contrasting styles and since I was so new to the Washington State style I thought the thread was good from a learning standpoint for me.

To further add to this and my learning I need to go back and buy some Northern Rhone wines which I haven't bought for a while. I have one bottle of Jaboulet Crozes Hermitage but it isn't a top wine from the region. I will explore some of the higher end, aged wines from Hermitage, Cote Rotie and Cornas.

I'm feeling that given the change in my palate, the increasing prices of California Cab and French Bordeaux that my cellar will migrate from 42% Cab and 21% Syrah to the other way around at some point. I REALLY love Syrah and it's various styles.

Rick

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 133
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 12:46:49 PM   
forceberry

quote:

This is turning out to be quite the interesting thread not to pat myself on the back. Syrah lends itself to these contrasting styles and since I was so new to the Washington State style I thought the thread was good from a learning standpoint for me.

To further add to this and my learning I need to go back and buy some Northern Rhone wines which I haven't bought for a while. I have one bottle of Jaboulet Crozes Hermitage but it isn't a top wine from the region. I will explore some of the higher end, aged wines from Hermitage, Cote Rotie and Cornas.

I'm feeling that given the change in my palate, the increasing prices of California Cab and French Bordeaux that my cellar will migrate from 42% Cab and 21% Syrah to the other way around at some point. I REALLY love Syrah and it's various styles.

Rick

Northern Rhône Syrah is a whole different story and definitely one to dig into! If you are planning to dig deeper into the Northern Rhônes, it always helps to know what you are looking for. The main styles go somewhat along these lines:
-Crozes-Hermitages: Generally the lightest, most straightforward and simplest of styles. Wines tend to be bone-dry, light in body, high in acidity and low in tannins. Something not unlike Pinot Noir made from Syrah.
-St. Joseph: Very uneven region, mainly making somewhat bigger but still rather forgettable wines. However, there are some outstanding producers making some of the greatest wines of the whole region - definitely a region not to be overlooked, even though you really can't go buying blindly from here.
-Cornas: Overall considered to be making the most rustic and toughest of wines. Some can be very impressive and rewarding, whereas some can be pretty dead-serious and unyielding.
-Hermitage and Côte-Rôtie: The top wines of the region. The wines are generally the fullest-bodied and attain the highest ripeness here, but produce wines of more depth and finesse than in Cornas. Definitely reward aging.

Overall the Northern Rhône Syrah wines tend to be lighter, drier and higher in acidity than their US counterparts, so very rarely even the top wines are "big" and particularly extracted, even though they can show impressive complexity and sense of concentration. Expect elegance more than power.

You should also remember that the producer is what counts. A terrific producer can make more spectacular wine in Crozes-Hermitage or St. Joseph than a middling producer with poor sites in Hermitage and Côte-Rôtie.

My CT profile

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 134
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 1:17:47 PM   
WineGuyCO

forceberry,

Thanks for the notes. I've had Hermitage and Cote Rotie years ago but haven't had recently. I know they are a different style and want to try some again. Cornas, I've never had but sounds interesting. I'l maybe start with some older vintages of a few bottles. St Joseph, never even heard of.

Thanks,

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 11/17/2017 1:18:12 PM >

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 135
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 1:43:09 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

St Joseph, never even heard of.

You've never heard of children's aspirin?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 136
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 2:20:39 PM   
hankj

Have you made wine or beer Forceberry? [EDIT - this sounds arrogant but I don't mean it like that, just have many times personally struggled with RS in the dynamic outlined hereafter] I've made a little of the former and a lot of the latter, and can tell you from that experience that the strain or strains of yeast a vintner or brewer chooses make a big difference in how dry "fermented to dry" is. Some strains, like for instance Epernay, voraciously consume every last bit of sugar and make the wine bone dry. Other strains are slower working, and/or have a lower affinity to fructose, and/or aren't as effective in cooler fermentations, and so are choked into dormancy by soaking in alcohol before they eat up every last bit of fructose (I think that's how the science works - the alcohol physically throttles the yeast one by one :).

So be clear I'm not saying dry red wines with just enough sugar to buffer harshness/find balance are made on the bench with simply syrup and/or arrested fermentation. Rather the are made by pitching must with reasonable density with the right combinations of yeast at the correct fermentation temperature. And then sometimes making very small adjustments - intervention can be a good thing.

I very much like Northern Rhone wines too. And they are usually really dry - dry as a bone Rhone - and should be - they are the correct weight for their given RS levels.

The Washington wines I"m talking about though are fundamentally different. WA State is appreciably hotter. Our riper, heat-toughened thicker-skinned grapes are too often soaked longer and warmer. And then it seems like they get pressed harder. And then pitched with an really aggressive commercial yeast that burns very nearly all of that abundance of sugar into alcohol, leaving all of this structure and density unbalanced and unbuffered.

As I repeatedly hedge, there are fewer and fewer of these types of wines made in my area, which is great - more and more I'm impressed with my local wines and winemaker. 15 years ago though it seemed like the above was the rule, not the exception.

I think the fundamental crux of our friendly disagreement here though are our competing notions of how sugar and bitter balance (or don't) on the palate. You wrote:

quote:

Secondly, I can understand your analogy to salt in food, but the thing is that residual sugar does not really work that way. It boosts the sweetness of the fruit at the levels there the sugary sweetness is still imperceptible, but it really doesn't mask away the bitterness and tannins. The tannin thing is simple: tannins are bound to proteins, not carbohydrates - sugar does not do anything to them. Neither is sugar and tannins registered on our palate through same mechanisms, so they really don't counteract each other that way either. As I stated before, drinking a recent release of a Vintage Port is an easy way to prove this.

Let me propose Campari as an object example. Sure the sugar doesn't "mask" the bitterness - it doesn't make it go away or become invisible to one's sensory organs. But can you imagine how harsh Campari would taste without the sugar? I think it is very clear that if you gave taster both Campari and Campari with no sugar, then asked them which was more bitter and more harsh they'd invariably and without hesitation say the one without the sugar. Even if technically the Campari with sugar is firing the same exact number of bitter-sensing taste buds, the sugar is also firing the receptors with an affinity for it, and because that info is comingled with the bitter signals the brain perceives less bitter and less harsh. And in the end the perception is what matters - it's the only way aesthetics are transparent to us and so is as good as reality (or, depending on your favored epistemic stance, is reality). So yes, I stand by the notion that a smidge of RS actually makes big extracted reds less harsh.

But maybe everyone's favorite nanny said it better? :) Have a great day!

< Message edited by hankj -- 11/17/2017 2:26:03 PM >

Post #: 137
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 3:33:31 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

I very much like, Northern Rhone wines too. And they are usually really dry - dry as a bone Rhone - and should be - they are the correct weight for their given RS levels.

The Washington wines I"m talking about though are fundamentally different. WA State is appreciably hotter.

No, it's not. Washington is also not hotter than Napa, despite the fact it does get hot here.

The standard used by the entire wine world based on decades of climate data is the Davis or Winkler index.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winkler_index

You'll see here that Prosser Columbia Valley WA is right above Northern Rhone, a bit cooler on average, while Napa is further down the list as a warmer region.

Yes, some areas of WA are warmer, some years are warmer, but the average and general trends of climate are true based on the historical data.

hankj, you make these claims constantly and the data just doesn't support it. You sound a whole lot like a climate change denier ignoring 98% of the climatologists in the world.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/17/2017 4:21:38 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 138
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 4:32:14 PM   
hankj

How high high temperatures regularly get is a different thing than GDD's to be sure, but both affect fruit. I think it's a form of denial to say "Davis Index, end of story" - absolute levels of heat matter too.

Vines act differently in the 90's compared to the 80's. The Davis formula for figuring growing degree days, which you cite, actually acknowledge and accounts for this.

< Message edited by hankj -- 11/17/2017 4:40:29 PM >

Post #: 139
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 4:39:42 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

How high high temperatures regularly get is a different thing than GDD's to be sure, but both affect fruit. I think it's a form of denial to say "Davis Index, end of story" - absolute levels of heat matter too.

Yes "levels of heat matter too". At high heat, above about 95 F, the growing maturation actually slows or stops. So the peak days in the Columbia Valley if discounted for that, would be further up the chart (up being cooler) than constantly temperate wine regions.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/17/2017 5:04:42 PM >

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 140
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 4:44:35 PM   
hankj

So are we on the same page then? Can I call Eastern WA hotter than the Northern Rhone because it is?

Or do I need to acquiesce that the place with more hours over 50 degree during a growing season is actually "hotter"?

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 141
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 4:50:54 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

So are we on the same page then? Can I call Eastern WA hotter than the Northern Rhone because it is?

Or do I need to acquiesce that the place with more hours over 50 degree during a growing season is actually "hotter"?

Are we talking about the weather's affect on growing wine grapes? If we are, since this is a wine forum, then yes, more degree days equals warmer.

Also, you apparently didn't understand my comment about very hot days deterring growth rather than enhancing it.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/17/2017 4:53:14 PM >

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 142
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 5:09:52 PM   
hankj

Okay, so grapes grown in a season of 3000 hours averaging 58 degrees are hotter climate fruit than grapes grown in a season of 2500 hours averaging 93 degrees?

Balderdash I say - literally, the Davis Index itself notes temps over 30c as suboptimal. GDD's help farmers decide what to plant where for a saleable product. But hot is hot, and high heat effects character (and I'd argue quality), and by and large Eastern Washington is hotter than both the Northern Rhone and NorCal.

Post #: 143
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 5:14:14 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Okay, so grapes grown in a season of 3000 hours averaging 58 degrees are hotter climate fruit than grapes grown in a season of 2500 hours averaging 93 degrees?

What in the world are you talking about?

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/17/2017 5:15:18 PM >

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 144
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 5:17:22 PM   
hankj

quote:

Also, you apparently didn't understand my comment about very hot days deterring growth rather than enhancing it.

Wait so we are on the same page. Or do you argue that heat sufficient to deter growth doesn't effect character? That the fruit just hang there in some sort of very hot state of suspended animation?

Post #: 145
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 5:36:10 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

What in the world are you talking about?

Yeah sorry Chris - I was trying to capture the notion that GDD degrees cut off at 90 degrees but my example totally failed! And does look pretty bone-headed. Really not even remotely helpful. Whoops!

My greater point is that a place that has average highs in the 80's but stays warmer later in the evening might be hotter on the Winkler Scale than a place with average highs above 90 that cools off faster. And I think that daily high heat has effects - thickens skins, dehydrates - that don't happen to long warm day fruit. Doesn;t necessarily mean worse, but it does something. Because IT IS HOTTER ;)

< Message edited by hankj -- 11/17/2017 5:39:36 PM >

Post #: 146
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 5:42:12 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I give up hankj, please drink whatever you like.

We had a gorgeous sunset here in the Palm Springs of Washington tonight. Hope you have the same over the Sound.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 147
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/17/2017 5:45:08 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

I give up hankj, please drink whatever you like.

We had a gorgeous sunset here in the Palm Springs of Washington tonight. Hope you have the same over the Sound.

I, my friend from a hot hot land, was too busy looking at my phone to notice :) You have a good night too

Also Palm Springs is hotter than Yakima. Yuhhuh.

< Message edited by hankj -- 11/17/2017 5:46:47 PM >

Post #: 148
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/18/2017 3:50:42 AM   
forceberry

quote:

Have you made wine or beer Forceberry? [EDIT - this sounds arrogant but I don't mean it like that, just have many times personally struggled with RS in the dynamic outlined hereafter]

No, unfortunately not, but I've read quite a bit of theory and chemistry on both. I also have close to 10 homebrewer friends whose work I often follow and whom I occasionally even consult on some chemistry-related questions. My own homebrewing experiences are mainly related to making homemade mead every spring (a Finnish thing).

quote:

I've made a little of the former and a lot of the latter, and can tell you from that experience that the strain or strains of yeast a vintner or brewer chooses make a big difference in how dry "fermented to dry" is. Some strains, like for instance Epernay, voraciously consume every last bit of sugar and make the wine bone dry. Other strains are slower working, and/or have a lower affinity to fructose, and/or aren't as effective in cooler fermentations, and so are choked into dormancy by soaking in alcohol before they eat up every last bit of fructose (I think that's how the science works - the alcohol physically throttles the yeast one by one :).

I'm very familiar with how different yeast strains work, that they produce during the fermentation, what they require for the fermentation to run smoothly, etc. etc. I also know how some yeast strains can consume the wine bone dry, while some start to struggle close to the finishing line - that might also be because of the WA preference to make wines wines often up to 15% alcohol and even higher. It's quite normal for a yeast to struggle in alc% that high.

However, it's pretty normal in Northern Rhône - and other parts of the world - to ferment the wine spontaneously and then let the wine finish its fermentation in barrels or in casks so even that a majority of yeasts might struggle, there are always some strains that will live on, finishing the wine bone dry - given there's enough nutrients for the yeasts to work.

quote:

So be clear I'm not saying dry red wines with just enough sugar to buffer harshness/find balance are made on the bench with simply syrup and/or arrested fermentation. Rather the are made by pitching must with reasonable density with the right combinations of yeast at the correct fermentation temperature. And then sometimes making very small adjustments - intervention can be a good thing.

I'd say making the wine finish with a touch of RS, say 6-10 g/l, is much easier - and feasible - to make by arresting fermentation than by making calculations how much precisely one might need yeasts etc. to make the wine finish at that range and not, say, 5-20 g/l of residual sugar. I agree that intervention can be a good thing, but in my preferences that kind of intervention usually means by adding a minimum effective amount of sulfites to keep the levels of acetic acid rising etc. - i.e. making the wine stay good and drinkable as long as possible. Intervention can be a good thing when you try to keep your wine good. However, I think we're quite a bit in a different territory, where intervention and small adjustments to make the wine more palatable are acceptable - those kinds of gimmicks are usually reserved for the industrial wines. If a wine doesn't become better with aging, be it in barrels or bottles, I don't think that the winemaker should change the wine to be more easily approachable for a wider audience - those, who like the wines, will eventually find them. Maybe, instead of suggesting that the winemakers would make wines better suited to you palate, you should just keep avoiding the WA Syrah wines? For example I can't understand the boring appassimento wines of Veneto or modern, over-extracted Bordeaux wines, but I'm not saying they should change their style to fit my palate. I just keep avoiding them.

quote:

I very much like Northern Rhone wines too. And they are usually really dry - dry as a bone Rhone - and should be - they are the correct weight for their given RS levels.

The Washington wines I"m talking about though are fundamentally different. WA State is appreciably hotter. Our riper, heat-toughened thicker-skinned grapes are too often soaked longer and warmer. And then it seems like they get pressed harder. And then pitched with an really aggressive commercial yeast that burns very nearly all of that abundance of sugar into alcohol, leaving all of this structure and density unbalanced and unbuffered.

I've never been to either one of the places, but from what I've heard from my friends who have visited Côte-Rôtie and other places in the northern Rhône, they aren't particularly cool places. But they do have noticeably big diurnal variation in the temperature.

However, some points you addressed might be at the core of our little dispute here. Long soak times, hard pressing, aggressive commercial yeasts etc. To me, these sound like rustic winemaking practices that have died out in many parts of the world. Reminds me of the winemaking practices from 40-50 years back in Northern Rhône, really. So maybe, instead of trying to spoof the wines by manipulating the wine in attempt to leave a little bit of residual sugar, they should improve their winemaking practices? So instead of increasing the manipulation, they could actually decrease it by very minor adjustments in their winemaking process. Not letting the grapes ripen too much, delicate pressing and softer extraction, natural yeasts, no new wood to contribute to the excess bitterness? Sounds like a wine right up my alley!

quote:

I think the fundamental crux of our friendly disagreement here though are our competing notions of how sugar and bitter balance (or don't) on the palate.

Let me propose Campari as an object example. Sure the sugar doesn't "mask" the bitterness - it doesn't make it go away or become invisible to one's sensory organs. But can you imagine how harsh Campari would taste without the sugar? I think it is very clear that if you gave taster both Campari and Campari with no sugar, then asked them which was more bitter and more harsh they'd invariably and without hesitation say the one without the sugar. Even if technically the Campari with sugar is firing the same exact number of bitter-sensing taste buds, the sugar is also firing the receptors with an affinity for it, and because that info is comingled with the bitter signals the brain perceives less bitter and less harsh. And in the end the perception is what matters - it's the only way aesthetics are transparent to us and so is as good as reality (or, depending on your favored epistemic stance, is reality). So yes, I stand by the notion that a smidge of RS actually makes big extracted reds less harsh.

Now you try to substitute a wholly another thing entirely into the discussion. Tannins are about astringency, Campari is about bitterness. While tannins can contribute to bitterness, the really don't do it unless in noticeably high concentrations. Of course I can understand the relevance of this analogy, because both bitterness and astringency can contribute to the roughness of the wine.

I'd love to taste Campari without sugar. However, as sugar neither counteracts bitterness, I'd say that un-sugared Campari might actually taste quite as bitter as the normal version. After all, with that much sugar, normal Campari should be like some easy-drinking soda, but instead on its own, it is almost unbearably bitter to many people I know. Of course sugar can help a bit, because of the comingling phenomenon you described. Of course boosting residual sugar in a wine makes it more approachable, that much I'm not trying to refute here, but unlike you propose, it really doesn't lessen the perception tannins or the bitterness. And I'd say that at the "smidge" level you propose (I'd love to hear how much that would actually be), the effect against bitterness OR tannins is pretty minuscule. It mainly makes the fruit feel jammier, pretty little beyond that. If you have a wine that feels excessively bitter wine, you'd have to leave much more than just a "smidge" of residual sugar.

As my final statement, I think that you are somewhat on the right tracks, but trying to fight the cause with wrong means. First off, if I were you, I'd just keep on avoiding the WA Syrah wines instead of arguing why they should change their style to suit your particular taste. Secondly, I think that you've located the heart of the problem (the winemaking practices), but instead of trying to change the problem itself, you want to fix only the symptoms. It feels like you are - as a Finnish proverb goes - trying to climb a tree ass-first.

My CT profile

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 149
RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California - 11/18/2017 7:41:24 AM   
hankj

Wow we've come a long way from my assertion that bone dry big extracted reds are harsher than those that preserve a little residual sugar. You color me as something of a wine eugenicist at this point, as if my local wines and local wine industry, an industry that is essentially younger than I am, is some sort of naturally set thing that ought not be subject to suggestions about revision. From a position, btw, wherein you"ve almost certainly never tasted a singe Washington wine, and I've tasted more than 1000 times over 30 years. That's like me lecturing a Finn about which pocket should house his vodka and which boot should hold his knife (oh not all Finn's, just like we all aren't declasse slobs with a sugary "American palate").

But sure, I can be done here too. I give up! And assent to the following composite statement:

Eastern Washington is not hot, and certainly not compared to NorCal wine country. This relatively cool place does though produce very sweet grapes with a lot of stuffing. These should be soaked a long time, not watered back, fermented as dry as possible,. RS levels should not be adjusted on the bench because these wines are naturally the way they are; any locals who can't abide this almost-as-ancient-as-Pong traditional style need to remain silent and just drink wine from elsewhere. And beside RS doesn't change the perception of harshness in big, structured high alcohol reds anyway - Port is sweet simply so as to be more suitable for children.

Okay, glad I came around to the correct POV! Hopefully the WA wine industry can now stop its disgusting seachange of late away from dry hot power and toward more balance!

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Syrah.. Washington Vs. California Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI