CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Bordeaux Blanc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Bordeaux Blanc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bordeaux Blanc - 1/11/2018 4:26:50 PM   
Smaragd

Ok, what is it about this wine that makes it so distinctive and recognizable? A note, a character, I dunno... I can identify this flavor profile a mile away but i don't have a "note" to call it.
Post #: 1
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/11/2018 4:28:27 PM   
Smaragd

PS if you have a good Bordeaux Blanc suggestion, I"m all ears.

PPS I must create a thread about wines that we first tasted in our "youth" -- and still have nostalgic power.

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 2
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/11/2018 4:33:45 PM   
khmark7

Enjoy Bordeaux blanc in it's youth, but they can age. For me it's the waxy lemon curd Semillon character that i enjoy with a touch of oak.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 3
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/11/2018 4:51:28 PM   
Smaragd

I think you are on to something.. the note I"m recognizing might be simply the character of Semillon or Sauvignon unoaked

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/11/2018 8:49:48 PM   
CranBurgundy

The waxy lemon / grapefruit citrus flavors are what stick out to me. We don't drink it much, but sometimes you just need a glass or two. Luckily, there's a few good inexpensive brands. Our latest fancy is courtesy of Robert on WB: Chateau Graville-Lacoste Blanc. I challenge you to find a better value!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 5
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/11/2018 10:41:08 PM   
jmcmchi

Big issue is to avoid overload of oak

Most frequent characteristics for me are citrus (mainly lime end), mineral (flint) and verbena depending on source. I also get seashells or salt

Frankly, some of the big names so overdo the oak that it is difficult to taste anything else. Entre deux mers labels are generally better value than Graves/Pessac Leognan.

An alternative, depending on price, is the SSB or SBS blends from Margaret River

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 6
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/12/2018 3:47:30 AM   
racerchris

My current go-to is Ch. Cote Montpezat Cuvee Compostelle Blanc.
The best I've had was a bottle of 2014 Ch Carbonnieux, (Pessac-Leognan)
Other white Bordeaux I've enjoyed include Ch. de Chantegrive, Ch. Ducasse and Ch. Villa Bel-Air (Graves)
I have a couple bottles of de Chantegrive Cuvee Caroline in line for next white wine to open.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 7
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/12/2018 12:16:11 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

I think you are on to something.. the note I"m recognizing might be simply the character of Semillon or Sauvignon unoaked

For me it is the Semillon that stands out not the unoaked SB. You can find the later in many places like say Sancerre.

-Mark

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 8
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/12/2018 3:46:12 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

Yes to that Semillon fattening things up a hair, and changing the fruit profile. These wines can be surprisingly ageable, I should really dabble more in this space. Good question and post!

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 9
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/12/2018 5:21:21 PM   
Smaragd

I think you both are right... it's perhaps Semillon which is so distinctive in white bordeaux. I don't drink Semillon ever except in Sauternes, which is a totally different expression. The taste is dry but fruity, but I suppose waxy, woody, and resinous too.

My experiences of Sauvignon Blanc tend toward cat pee, ammonia, and vinegar, so I should not have confused them.

BTW I was recently drinking 2015 Chateau Tour du Fossat.

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 10
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/12/2018 5:59:53 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

The waxy lemon / grapefruit citrus flavors are what stick out to me. We don't drink it much, but sometimes you just need a glass or two. Luckily, there's a few good inexpensive brands. Our latest fancy is courtesy of Robert on WB: Chateau Graville-Lacoste Blanc. I challenge you to find a better value!

Completely agree on the Graville-Lacoste Blanc. Superb stuff.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 11
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/13/2018 4:17:28 AM   
hamishwm

I also adore white Bordeaux.
For me the best example is Haut Brion Blanc (if someone else is paying) or Domaine de Chevalier (if I am paying).
The Haut Brion Blanc is a very small production wine (normally +-500 cases). It has an incredible pure saline, lime, zesty, fresh element that is beguiling. It is not big or loud, it is charming.
Domaine de Chevalier is slightly waxy and citrus to start, but I find this wine one of the weirdest wines to age. It seems to get a funky almost oxidative style (like stewed apples), but retains its acidity well.

Although white Bordeaux used to be more than 50% of Bordeaux production (before 1956) it is now down to single digit volume.
The terroir of Pessac Leognan has that mineral fine element that does not push fully blown Sauv Blanc.

Also Chateau Bouscaut is 'under the radar' for quality and still good value.

In the Entre Deux Mers you still have to kiss a few frogs before you find the Prince. Marjosse (Pierre Lurton's private Chateau) is good quality/value.

And a white Bordeaux definitely to look out for is Clos des Lunes. These wines are actually made at a winery very close to Yquem in Sauternes, but they are dry Bordeaux wines. The estate is owned by the Bernard family (who own Domaine de Chevalier) and is run by Hugo Bernard. They have some of their own vines, but they also source fruit from quite a few other growers for their brand. There are a few different Bronze, Silver and Gold wines in the range. Definitely worth exploring.

www.bellawinetours.com
@hamishwm
Blog: http://bellawines.blogspot.com/

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 12
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/13/2018 4:19:48 AM   
hamishwm

And to answer Smaragd's original question, the French would say that the uniqueness comes from the terroir rather than the grape variety.
Many Bordeaux whites are blends of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon and increasingly Sauvignon Gris, but they can be tricky to pick in a blind tasting.

www.bellawinetours.com
@hamishwm

(in reply to hamishwm)
Post #: 13
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/13/2018 4:28:04 AM   
hamishwm

Some interesting (if slightly dated figures from 10 years ago):

White Grape Plantings:

54% Semillon

36% Sauvignon

7% Muscadelle

3% Other whites (other allowable whites are ugni blanc, colombard and folle blanche)

www.bellawinetours.com
@hamishwm

(in reply to hamishwm)
Post #: 14
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/17/2018 11:02:19 PM   
ob2s

I had my first 'high end' Bdx Blanc, 2010 Domaine de Chevalier. More than I spend on almost any other bottle, since the lads on their trip with Hamish loved it so much. Opened for Christmas with high expectation, but was corked. The vendor 'Grand Vin Wine Merchants' in Olympia, WA told me to get f*cked. I have one more, but unless it is the business, it will be my last, save for the under $20 bottles.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to hamishwm)
Post #: 15
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 2:39:15 AM   
Ricardo

I love these when they are on song, some are capable of very long ageing; stand-outs from my consumption list:

Carbonnieux (1978, drank like it was 20 years younger, super..), I've had quite a few of these from various vintages (one was corked)
Laville-Haut-Brion - not sure if this has the same name now..
"G" de Guiraud (so-so)
Smith Haut Lafitte - very good usually

Also Blanc de Lynch Bages - can be excellent but is a bit hit and miss IMO and hard to find, it's not cheap either..

Plenty of cheaper stuff available, some good, some execrable..

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 16
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 3:06:05 AM   
oskiwawa

I have had one Blanc de Lynch Bages ( 1995 ) which was consumed in 2015. I got lucky and it was on the hit side of your experience. Even at 20 years it was closed upon opening and took an hour decant to beging singing. Really great wine Looking at others notes on this it looks like many of these are over the hill at this point. Certainly was not the case in the one we had.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I love these when they are on song, some are capable of very long ageing; stand-outs from my consumption list:

Carbonnieux (1978, drank like it was 20 years younger, super..), I've had quite a few of these from various vintages (one was corked)
Laville-Haut-Brion - not sure if this has the same name now..
"G" de Guiraud (so-so)
Smith Haut Lafitte - very good usually

Also Blanc de Lynch Bages - can be excellent but is a bit hit and miss IMO and hard to find, it's not cheap either..

Plenty of cheaper stuff available, some good, some execrable..

< Message edited by oskiwawa -- 1/18/2018 3:08:48 AM >

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 17
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 3:20:13 AM   
Claude Bizon

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

quote:

I had my first 'high end' Bdx Blanc, 2010 Domaine de Chevalier. More than I spend on almost any other bottle, since the lads on their trip with Hamish loved it so much. Opened for Christmas with high expectation, but was corked. The vendor 'Grand Vin Wine Merchants' in Olympia, WA told me to get f*cked. I have one more, but unless it is the business, it will be my last, save for the under $20 bottles

There is a multitude of excellent and cheap dry Bordeaux wines, apart from the classified wines. Formerly, I had bought 12 bottles of Château Carbonnieux 1975 but I was disappointed, it was a discreet wine, flat, without large size, on the other hand if you find them, here are good addresses: Château Thieuley, vintage Francis Courselle (excellent), about $ 10, Chateau Civrac-Lagrange (Graves less than $ 10) excellent guard, château Suau oak barrel in Capian (Gironde) (about $ 8), Entre Deux Mers "vintage Hortense" about $ 6 . We do not ruin and we are greatly pleased!
Otherwise, take a tour of Montravel and Bergerac. Many dry white wines are worth great dry white Bordeaux!

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 18
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 5:04:08 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

I had my first 'high end' Bdx Blanc, 2010 Domaine de Chevalier. More than I spend on almost any other bottle, since the lads on their trip with Hamish loved it so much. Opened for Christmas with high expectation, but was corked. The vendor 'Grand Vin Wine Merchants' in Olympia, WA told me to get f*cked. I have one more, but unless it is the business, it will be my last, save for the under $20 bottles.

Fingers brought a bottle of this to the Golden Truffle when we were out there visiting, and it was outstanding--one of the best white wines I've ever tasted. I didn't know that Bordeaux Blanc could be so good. Don't give up on it yet.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 19
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 5:45:54 AM   
racerchris

Last night we finished a bottle of 2014 Chateau de Chantegrive Cuvee Caroline. (50% Sauv Blanc, 50% Semillon)
Its a very nice food wine but I didn't enjoy it as much on its own.
A bit more on the mineral side, and very dry.
I opened another Bordeaux blanc to have a glass on the heels of the Chantegrive - 2016 Ch. Cote Montpezat Cuvee Compostelle Blanc.
It didn't have the same intensity as the Chantegrive but was almost as enjoyable as an accompaniment to mushroom ravioli in Alfredo sauce.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 20
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 6:46:03 AM   
KPB

In fact it is the minerality that draws me to these wines. I don’t cellar them so I perhave missed the aging opportunities people are describing, and don’t order them often. But I’ve enjoyed them, especially with shellfish, because of that crisp mineral dimension

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 21
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 6:47:42 AM   
KPB

PS: Y d’Yquem and Haut Brion blanc were my two favorites. But they used to be pretty cheap. Not the case these days...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 22
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 10:24:55 AM   
skifree

I'll also plug Domaine de Chevalier as a go-to white Bordeaux. I bought some Malartic-Lagraviere from 2010 that was excellent for under $40, though have not tried other years.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 23
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 11:16:03 AM   
ROEL

Caillou Blanc de Chateau Talbot was an eye-opener for Bordeaux blanc for me, many years ago. Even though prices have gone up considerably since then, I think it is still a good choice.

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 24
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 5:41:40 PM   
Scott W

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

This big time...imho

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Post #: 25
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/18/2018 5:52:21 PM   
Smaragd

Well, in response to my original question, yes it's def. the semillon :)

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 26
RE: Bordeaux Blanc - 1/19/2018 6:38:40 AM   
jeff leve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

Ok, what is it about this wine that makes it so distinctive and recognizable? A note, a character, I dunno... I can identify this flavor profile a mile away but i don't have a "note" to call it.

I like White Bordeaux. They can be quite, fresh, vibrant, refreshing wines with great minerality and lots of ripe, juicy, yellow citrus fruits. Most are quite inexpensive. But the best can be pricey, as not much is produced.

This page should give you a better idea on most of what you need to know about Bordeaux Blanc - https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/wine-topics/guide-white-bordeaux-wine-chateaux-taste-character-grapes/

www.thewinecellarinsider.com

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Bordeaux Blanc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll