CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and are still nostalgic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and are still nostalgic Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and are ... - 1/11/2018 4:32:33 PM   
Smaragd

as promised.

Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and are still powerfully nostalgic today...

(By youth, I mean when you/we first started sourcing and buying wines on your own.)

i'll go first: Taurino Salice Salentino, and Barton & Guestier Bordeaux Blanc (both around 1998)

< Message edited by Smaragd -- 1/12/2018 9:10:30 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/11/2018 6:42:26 PM   
oskiwawa

1982 Bordeaux

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 2
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/11/2018 7:07:28 PM   
KPB

Dunn’s early Howell Mountain cabs: 1981-1983... did they ever ease up, at all?

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 3
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/11/2018 8:56:07 PM   
CranBurgundy

Arrowood Cabs. The 90's Reserve Speciale Cabs just keep getting better. We had a 2001 Grand Archer a couple years ago that was still gorgeous, and that was their entry level Cab back then.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 4
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/11/2018 10:53:53 PM   
jmcmchi

1966 Pichon Lalande my first bargain buy

1959 LeCrock showed me what Bordeaux could do (in 1971)

1970 Bonnes Mares from Jadot

Le Villageois in plastic magnum drunk on Nice beach, must have cost 7 francs

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 5
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 3:51:24 AM   
BornToRhone

Started drinking wine "in my youth" at the age of 45 or so.

BV Napa cab, Cline Cashmere, and Seghesio were my norms then.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 6
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 5:45:34 AM   
racerchris

Merryvale Profile.
Sadly I can't afford to buy new vintages anymore.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 7
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 9:51:29 AM   
bretrooks

Many of the early "nice" bottles my wife and I had when starting to explore wine in the mid-2000's were high-density fruit-forward reds from Paso (with some from SLO and Santa Ynez). I've gravitated away from that style over time, but when we do have one, I'll still often enjoy it for what it is and let it connect me back to those earlier years.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 8
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 10:24:05 AM   
lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I'll let you know soon. I have two bottles of the 1982 Howell Mountain that I laid down at release, and have been looking for an excuse to try one.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 9
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 10:25:16 AM   
bacchus

1964 brand cantenac got me into the game in the '70's. Enjoyed a bottle a few years ago that was holdiing up well. Have enjoyed many vintages after that. 1966, 1967, 1970, 1975, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2000.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 10
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 10:26:00 AM   
lockestep

For me the game changer was a 1974 regular Mondavi Napa Cab that I tried around 1984. It seemed perfect at the time, and started the madness.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 11
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 10:26:32 AM   
oskiwawa

do post a note when you crack one. I have one that has been laying on it's side for a very long time. '82 was our wedding year and I have this one targetted for 2022

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I'll let you know soon. I have two bottles of the 1982 Howell Mountain that I laid down at release, and have been looking for an excuse to try one.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 12
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 11:54:40 AM   
hankj

When I was a kid waiting tables at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla, our first special wines promotion was anchored by Far Niente Chardonnay and Cakebread Cab. This was the early 1990's and these wines were smaller production and better quality back then than they are today; I still though feel that same little sense of wonder that there's a lot of good stuff out there when I see these labels. Even though I know there are dozens of equivalent (or better) top-shelf supermarket wines from Napa, I still associate these two particularly with good times and seemingly endless youth :)

I think this was what your were getting at OP? Bottles that make you nostalgic?

< Message edited by hankj -- 1/12/2018 12:20:36 PM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 13
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 11:59:57 AM   
WineGuyCO

My first memorable purchases were four cases of 1978 BV Private Reserve and I still buy a little of this wine today. I don't think todays wines are nearly as good as some of these in the 70's and early 80's but my memory is fading. I actually traded a case of 1978 BV Private reserve for a case of 1986 Pichon LaLande and THAT was the beginning of my Bordeaux adventure.

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 14
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 12:21:18 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

My first memorable purchases were four cases of 1978 BV Private Reserve and I still buy a little of this wine today. I don't think todays wines are nearly as good as some of these in the 70's and early 80's but my memory is fading. I actually traded a case of 1978 BV Private reserve for a case of 1986 Pichon LaLande and THAT was the beginning of my Bordeaux adventure.

Rick

Cool story, and well played Rick

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 15
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 12:46:31 PM   
Smaragd

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

I think this was what your were getting at OP? Bottles that make you nostalgic?

Exactly what i was getting at!

There was a wine piece in the NY Times a couple years back about Salice Salentino in which the author described how Taurino SS was his go-to grocery store wine many years ago. I recalled that the same was true for me. I have to say though, the vintages I was drinking (96, 96, 98?) were full of classic "rose petal and tar" notes that I almost don't find anywhere anymore - except very expensive Taurasi and Barolo. Either the wines changed or my tastebuds have dulled - maybe both.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 16
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 12:58:04 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

There was a wine piece in the NY Times a couple years back about Salice Salentino in which the author described how Taurino SS was his go-to grocery store wine many years ago. I recalled that the same was true for me. I have to say though, the vintages I was drinking (96, 96, 98?) were full of classic "rose petal and tar" notes that I almost don't find anywhere anymore - except very expensive Taurasi and Barolo. Either the wines changed or my tastebuds have dulled - maybe both.

Taurasi - now there's quite the sophisticated supermarket wine for a fairly fledgling enthusiast. Probably set you up well to make far fewer cellar mistakes than if you'd started with some fat boozy red.

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 17
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 1:07:20 PM   
Slye

The wine that got me hooked was a 1971 Chateau Lyonnat. I have a few of them (later vintages) just in my cellar purely for nostalgia's sake.

I also remember a 1974 Sterling Cab back in those days -- and I still have one of those in my cellar, from my first few years of wine madness. Still waiting for an appropriately special occasion to open it.

I also remember Salice Salentino as a go-to red in the 1980s and later. My other go to reds back then were Riojas -- if one splurged between 5 and 10 dollars there was an amazing wine inside. I remember a 1971 Rioja for about $5 (I can't for the life of me remember what it was, other than it was not one of the more well known houses), and it was just incredible. It drank beautifully on opening, and a few days later was still growing strong. I do wish I had kept some of those.

Swerve! Off of memory line. Back to today. Thanks for the detour!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 18
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 1:08:46 PM   
Smaragd

quote:

Taurasi - now there's quite the sophisticated supermarket wine for a fairly fledgling enthusiast. Probably set you up well to make far fewer cellar mistakes than if you'd started with some fat boozy red.

No no, my point was that i was getting very good grocery store Salice Salentino, and that the only place i can get as similar experience today is taurasi and barolo...

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 19
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 6:16:21 PM   
KPB

On the nostalgia front, I vividly remember a marathon tasting with a Robert Arnoux in Burgundy that culminated with the 88 Romanee St Vivant from the barrel. OMG, what a wine. I would love to try that today.

But the Dunn HM 83 brings back a story too. I took that wine to a tasting in the U.K., thinking it would be Napa at its best. WA gave it 99+pts and I trusted the TN. So we get to the tasting, which tuned out to be noveaux Beaujolais, and attended mostly by blue-collar families. The Dunn was ferocious. But these British metal workers... tough guys. So, they pretended to love the stuff... real manly wine...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 20
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/12/2018 6:57:34 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

Cool story, and well played Rick

hankj ,

Up to the trade for the 1986 Pichon LaLande I had only drank California Cabs but some good ones in great/good vintages 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978& 1979 from Krug ( 1974 Charles Krug was an early Ah ha moment) Mondavi & BV. I waited tables in fine restaurants to put myself through college so got into fine wine young.

A friend of mine was the wine buyer at a local grocery store who was also close to my age and had a small wine Group and also knew his wines. I hadn't ever had a Bordeaux and I tried a few with his group. Eye opener for sure and a different animal than what I had been drinking.

I was down to two cases of the '78 BV PR and asked him if I could trade a case straight up for the Pichon LaLande and he did. I think the Pichon was $39.99 at the time so good trade.

Shortly thereafter I started my own wine Group with some financial advisor friends who still meet to this day. One of them New a Superior Court judge in SD who piggy backed on Liquor Barn (now defunct) 1st traunch Bordeaux Futures. We bought Bordeaux futures starting in 1987 which was a short list but bought a lot in 1988, 1989 & 1990. I back filled 1982, 1985 & 1986 so drank a lot of Bordeaux for many years.Have enjoyed this great hobby for many years. I lament the current Bordeaux prices and only dream of the good old days.

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 21
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/13/2018 7:29:29 AM   
avalonandl

1975 Leoville Las Cases

Drinking and collecting wine since 1979. A 1974 Mondavi Cabernet was my AHA moment....

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 22
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/13/2018 10:35:06 AM   
jmc167

Well unluckily (or perhaps luckily?) it was only two or three years ago that I decided if I am going to drink wine as might as well learn about and drink good wine. Since I am on the other side of 55 I would say that while I am young, I do not think I will have a "youth" as far as wine goes....

That being said, the thing that made be passionate about wine was a fantastic tour I had in the Northern Rhone with a former wine maker, this guy was just awesome. We stopped in multiple fields and learned about the different trellising techniques, talked about the age of the vines and how that impacted the soil, got into the dirt and compared the composition of the different fields, and all this set the context for our visits to the vineyards. Then when tasting wines we could "make sense of the terrior".

So the "nostalgic" wine for me (although I am still aging the bottles I brought back) is the Pierre Gaillard Côte-Rôtie Rose Pourpre. This is a single block wine and of all the wines we tasted from Condrieu, Cotie Rotie, Saint Joseph, and Hermitage, the one that stood out.

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 23
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/13/2018 11:01:35 AM   
Smaragd

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmc167

Well unluckily (or perhaps luckily?) it was only two or three years ago that I decided if I am going to drink wine as might as well learn about and drink good wine.

Oh, I didn't learn about wine really until about 5 years ago, after a good 15-20 years of drinking it constantly. I was amazed by the fact that one can drink it so regularly and really not learn much about what one is tasting until putting the effort in. Nevertheless, those tastes (Salice Salentino, White Bordeaux) were hugely impressive because when I somewhat recently started reading about and taking notes on what I was tasting, I had some wines that brought back very powerful nostalgic feelings and they turned out to be wines that showed strong identity or terroir.

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 24
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/13/2018 11:48:37 AM   
dsGris

Back in the 70s I started making wine out of local and not so local grapes with the intent of making better wine than I could by, nothing fancy or expensive, though you could buy a good bottle for well under $10, my cost being in the $5 range. I would take wine making classes, one being given by a local beer aficionado, Fred Eckhardt who was developing sake recipes and a legend in the beer community. These classes ended up being tasting sessions of the wines we were making. For the last class, Fred brought a good Bordeaux for us to sample, no smart phone to take a pic and for the life of me cannot remember the name, but I can still remember the taste! I made a range of red and white wines, trying to get a bold Pinot, but failed and got a weak, insipid AFWE red that mirrors what I drink and enjoy now. It only took 40 years.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 25
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/13/2018 5:00:23 PM   
khmark7

Cheap German white wines when i was in college (early 90's) & California Zinfandel (both red & white)

Recent years - 1996 Cinq Cepages, 1996 Bordeaux, assorted South African reds just post apartheid.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 26
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/13/2018 7:31:07 PM   
jmc167

Smaragd - Thanks for the feedback, I was the same way and just got tired of mostly mediocre wines. Seems we have walked similar paths...

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 27
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/14/2018 6:07:17 PM   
PinotPhile

Santa Rita 120 Merlot. Actually prefer the Cab now, but the Merlot gets credit for starting me on red wines. Still love Chilean reds and respect the value they can deliver. One of our highest-ranked reds last year was a Chilean Syrah.

Big red Cheers!

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 28
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/15/2018 5:40:11 AM   
Smaragd

So generally, most of you sound like your first sips of wine were pretty high-end and/or well informed!

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 29
RE: Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and ... - 1/15/2018 6:23:50 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

So generally, most of you sound like your first sips of wine were pretty high-end and/or well informed!

Arrowood certainly wasn't the first wine I tried. It was the first Cab I bought for myself in any quantity more than a single bottle though. Ruffino's Ducale Oro Riserva was my favorite Italian wine back then. So my small wine rack in the dining room consisted of Arrowood Reserve Speciale, Arrowood Grand Archer, Ruffino Ducale Oro, and Ruffino Chianti Classico. That's it - 4 bottles from 2 producers were my regular purchases in the beginning at my first apartment, mostly because I drank dark beer or rums more often.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wines we first tasted in our "youth" and are still nostalgic Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI