CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: How much would you pay for this meal?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How much would you pay for this meal? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 2:36:38 AM   
Tpety

I think I'd still have to stop at Chipotle on my way home.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 31
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 1:03:03 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I find this thread peculiar: if you would consider a $250 bottle of wine for a special event, wouldn’t you expect the dinner to cost 2x or 3x more? Sure, I don’t drink $250 bottles of wine often. Nor do I often eat in 3* restaurants. But at the top, it just costs what it costs!

By the way, for that splurge, Daniel Boulud would be my first choice, not Robuchon...

This is how I thought about it. I've never spent $325 for a bottle of wine. I've never spent $250 for a bottle of wine. I would be much more inclined to spend $250-$325 for a bottle ( it better be amazing) of wine than I would for a dinner.

My wife's family took us to a couple of pricey, French restaurants in Chicago and I always left hungry. I'd much rather go to one of the great American Steakhouses than eat fancy, foo foo food that looks pretty and costs a lot.

Better yet would be to buy a Guigal La Las and make an amazing dinner myself at home. I would spend $325 for some great seats at a sporting event or concert but not dinner. I think everyone has a limit on what they will spend or not spend on things.

Rick

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 32
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 1:06:25 PM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

quote:

I find this thread peculiar: if you would consider a $250 bottle of wine for a special event, wouldn’t you expect the dinner to cost 2x or 3x more? Sure, I don’t drink $250 bottles of wine often. Nor do I often eat in 3* restaurants. But at the top, it just costs what it costs!

By the way, for that splurge, Daniel Boulud would be my first choice, not Robuchon...

This is how I thought about it. I've never spent $325 for a bottle of wine. I've never spent $250 for a bottle of wine. I would be much more inclined to spend $250-$325 for a bottle ( it better be amazing) of wine than I would for a dinner.

My wife's family took us to a couple of pricey, French restaurants in Chicago and I always left hungry. I'd much rather go to one of the great American Steakhouses than eat fancy, foo foo food that looks pretty and costs a lot.

Better yet would be to buy a Guigal La Las and make an amazing dinner myself at home. I would spend $325 for some great seats at a sporting event or concert but not dinner. I think everyone has a limit on what they will spend or not spend on things.

Rick

Would. not. go. there. Expensive ingredients duly noted, but just no appeal at that price and in that location.

Rick, +1 on the choice of splurging for a fab wine and having fun doing a home pairing. Or even outsourcing a $50-$60 meal from a restaurant. And staying home. Vastly preferred at our age....

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 33
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 1:27:59 PM   
KPB

Honestly, I recommend saving up and just once, eating at a top place, which could be Robuchon, or Daniel, or one of the others. Just to see what the fuss is about. These guys really take it to another level. They turn the food into a kind of sensory experience that you could never replicate on your own.

I’ve often eaten in these kinds of restaurants: my father in law is nuts for them. And I do get it.

For me, personally, they had some appeal up until one particular week when I was helping the CEO of a major company with a business trip in Europe. Our clients wanted to impress him, so every day we ended up having two of these three star meals: in the big cities in Europe every single company has access to that level of chef or restaurant. Plus the wines hadn’t to be at that level too, so we were drinking the really big guns, lunch and dinner.

Hard to believe it but this intensive eating and drinking burned it out of me. I’ve never enjoyed it as much again.

So I do not recommend doing it marathon style. But I definitely recommend it as a once in your life experience kind of thing. Maybe even once every few years... dress well, by the way. Suit and tie for men, dress and jewelry for women. Eat very slowly, ask their advice for what wines to order with the dishes, discuss the options at length. Make it into a kind of live-in theater experience. You’ll see: it is definitely worth it. Then you may still decide it isn’t your think, for sure. But at least you won’t die without knowing what the world’s best chefs are capable of when money is no object...

< Message edited by KPB -- 1/14/2018 1:28:37 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 34
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 2:27:18 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

Maybe even once every few years...

This.

Not sure I could do it all the time. And if so, why would it be special?

Had some high-end outstanding meals… and paid dearly for them.

Same goes for a big steak house kind of meal. Who the heck can do that day in & day out?

We have Blue Stem, a high-end restaurant here in KC. Went with a number of fellow CellarTrackers for a 10-course meal that was sublime. We'd made arrangements earlier to bring our own wine (quite a bit of it), and negotiated having a flat corking charge. That saved us some bucks.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 35
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 3:26:55 PM   
Smaragd

I've gotten to be a good enough cook that, in NYC, I can't buy a better meal for less than $250 (for two)... So a lot of the time we just save our $$ and eat in.

Have paid very high sums for meals at Le Bernardin and Daniel (totally worth it) and have been lucky to be invited and treated to Del Posto three times - DEFINITELY worth it.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 36
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 3:31:09 PM   
avalonandl

I'd rather spend the $325 on the wine and about 120 on dinner at Bern's Steak House......

Drinking and collecting wine since 1979. A 1974 Mondavi Cabernet was my AHA moment....

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 37
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 3:43:05 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: avalonandl

I'd rather spend the $325 on the wine and about 120 on dinner at Bern's Steak House......

Wellllll..... I don't know. Bern's is very good, but their food is not why wine nerds go there. It's the cellar that's the attraction. I've had several better slabs of beef than even the dry aged chateaubriand at Bern's. However, NOBODY matches the wines at Bern's. NOBODY. Especially when you consider the price!

If I were paying that kind of coin for dinner, I'd be at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Or getting a Kobe filet at one of the few excellent Japanese / Asian places in the Philly area. Carnivore's delight.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 38
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 3:47:52 PM   
avalonandl

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: avalonandl

Wellllll..... I don't know. Bern's is very good, but their food is not why wine nerds go there. It's the cellar that's the attraction. I've had several better slabs of beef than even the dry aged chateaubriand at Bern's. However, NOBODY matches the wines at Bern's. NOBODY. Especially when you consider the price!

If I were paying that kind of coin for dinner, I'd be at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Or getting a Kobe filet at one of the few excellent Japanese / Asian places in the Philly area. Carnivore's delight.

Cran: I agree but I was studying the wine list online and realizing I often travel to Naples FLA and its only a 2 hour drive sooooo....

Drinking and collecting wine since 1979. A 1974 Mondavi Cabernet was my AHA moment....

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 39
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/14/2018 5:15:29 PM   
S1

this thread is funny

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 40
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/15/2018 6:29:04 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

if you would consider a $250 bottle of wine for a special event, wouldn’t you expect the dinner to cost 2x or 3x more

Not really; I typically pay at least as much for the wine as the food for two, unless BYOB

This is an interesting discussion too. Before we were very into wine I remember thinking that my wine purchase should ideally be less than the food purchase. Now, unless BYO'ing (and even sometimes then) I find I usually spend significantly more on the wine than the food (at least when it's a personal thing and we're doing wine). Does that vary for ppl? We were on a wine trip last week and had multiple meals where the food was a fraction of the wine (perhaps the craziest where everyone was eating $15 burgers and we shared multiple bottles in the triple digits).

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 41
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/15/2018 1:37:25 PM   
Blue Shorts

A meal like that is all about the experience, the artistry, and of course the unique flavors. It's not a meal. You are paying for the experience and artistry from people at the top of their profession.

Add wine and you are over $500 a person.

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 42
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/15/2018 3:02:11 PM   
PinotPhile

$ for wine vs. food varies for us. For some holiday/weekend meals I enjoy cooking, and building the menu around a key wine. In those situations, the wine almost always exceeds total food cost.

If we splurge for restaurant takeout from a slightly upscale place, we may spend more on the food.

We almost never dine in a restaurant, so no opinion there.

Read an interesting story this am about challenges for the restaurant industry. Granted, we may be talking primarily lower-cost venues, but still.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2018/01/15/minimum-wage-hikes-sending-restaurants-way-shopping-mall.html

Still frugal here Cheers!

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 43
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/15/2018 3:50:50 PM   
musedir

At Christmas we visited every high end resturant in Asheville as a celebration of the holiday and because we were on the verge of buying a new home. We argued that the fun times were much less than we would have paid in NYC (food and wine) so we sorta splurged. Now that we’re new home owners we are set to return to NYC at the end of the month to see the Michaelangelo exhibition at the Met plus other gallery/museum exhibits . I’ve already mentioned to Dr. And our wonderful travel companions that I want to economize on the food and wines as the pending renovations, appliances, etc. are looking daunting... but Dr. M is dfinitely looking at early retirement so maybe we’ll splurge on the special dinner then.

BTW, Daniel is worth every red cent... so is Moulin de Mougins in southern France. In fact we couldamass a list of the great meals we’ve had and laugh at the ridiculous sums we paid...

but as S1 said, this is funny.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 44
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 8:00:49 AM   
Tanatastic

I'm really struggling to see the difference between an expensive bottle of wine and an expensive meal.

Surely if you understand the intrinsic value of one, you can instantly see the value of the other?

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 45
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 8:08:19 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanatastic

I'm really struggling to see the difference between an expensive bottle of wine and an expensive meal.

Surely if you understand the intrinsic value of one, you can instantly see the value of the other?

Not necessarily. In my internet travels, I've seen people who collect vintage clocks who don't understand, and even dismiss, people who collect vintage wristwatches - and they were members of the same organization.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Tanatastic)
Post #: 46
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 8:58:32 AM   
fingers

Is this the “Can’t we all get along” thread

< Message edited by fingers -- 1/16/2018 9:01:31 AM >

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 47
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 9:44:40 AM   
Blue Shorts

Let That Be Your Last BattleField - A great Star Trek episode with Frank Gorshin. Great metaphor, fingers.

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 1/16/2018 9:45:09 AM >

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 48
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 11:47:57 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

Smaragd
I've gotten to be a good enough cook that, in NYC, I can't buy a better meal for less than $250 (for two)... So a lot of the time we just save our $$ and eat in.

Same applies to my wife's cooking....

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 49
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 2:53:29 PM   
Smaragd

AFWE Rant:

For me, the real meaning of wine is cuisine. I drink European wines almost exclusively and while I"m searching for terroir and winemaking culture I'm also searching for representative recipes and food attitudes that contextualize the wine and help it to make sense. That's the whole idea.

I appreciate simple food, but that's of course putting it too simply. Some great simple cuisines are extremely difficult to prepare. Also, some complexity in cooking can be very satisfying.

Generally I don't lean toward restaurants that feature foam and lots of gimmicky trendy flavors. For example I'd rather eat at Del Posto than Eleven Madison Park - the latter has that "international modernist rich people" aesthetic... What I call the Taste of Taste. But that's a personal preference -- I am interested in history and geography, and food and wine are part of that exploration.

Winos who say "Oh just lay down some nice charred meat and we'll be fine popping open our expensive bottles" are missing the fun and, in my opinion, not doing the homework ;)

(in reply to Tanatastic)
Post #: 50
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 4:16:31 PM   
mye

quote:

My wife's family took us to a couple of pricey, French restaurants in Chicago and I always left hungry.

That's really interesting.. what are other people's experience?

For me, I've never left a Michelin star restaurant's tasting menu meal feeling hungry.. in fact i'd say 40% of the time, i'm full and comfortable... 60% of the time i'm so full by dessert i cannot finish the food. I basically eat very little bread now, even tho some bread service can be AMAZING..

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 51
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 4:32:19 PM   
Smaragd

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

quote:

My wife's family took us to a couple of pricey, French restaurants in Chicago and I always left hungry.

For me, I've never left a Michelin star restaurant's tasting menu meal feeling hungry.. in fact i'd say 40% of the time, i'm full and comfortable... 60% of the time i'm so full by dessert i cannot finish the food. I basically eat very little bread now, even tho some bread service can be AMAZING..

AGREE I have been to some very swank places and mostly find they stuff you to the gills --- it's bad, actually. The tasting menu scene in NYC is not well done at all. At all the top restaurants, I've found the tasting portions to be too large by about one bite, and all that adds up to make you feel like a house by the time dessert rolls out. THEN they try and offer you complimentary biscuits or home-made candies and I start to regret the whole evening. They should work on that.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 52
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 6:07:07 PM   
jmcmchi

I have a degree of skepticism about "rated" restaurants. While I lived in Chicago I had dinner at a restaurant rated highly by WS, especially for its wine.

I ordered a Burgundy, which was out of stock, and was offered a Chateauneuf as a similar wine.

Enough said.

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 53
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/16/2018 6:28:52 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

I have a degree of skepticism about "rated" restaurants. While I lived in Chicago I had dinner at a restaurant rated highly by WS, especially for its wine.

I ordered a Burgundy, which was out of stock, and was offered a Chateauneuf as a similar wine.

Enough said.

....but ....but ....it's still RED wine from Europe.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 54
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 6:30:31 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

quote:

quote:

AGREE I have been to some very swank places and mostly find they stuff you to the gills --- it's bad, actually. The tasting menu scene in NYC is not well done at all. At all the top restaurants, I've found the tasting portions to be too large by about one bite, and all that adds up to make you feel like a house by the time dessert rolls out. THEN they try and offer you complimentary biscuits or home-made candies and I start to regret the whole evening. They should work on that.

+1

I've done several fine dining tasting menu's and have never left hungry.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 55
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 8:18:58 AM   
WineGuyCO

I guess I'm the odd man out here. One of the meals was at Froggy's in Highwood Illinois North Chicago. I remember ordering the Capon along with my then brother in law. Three really nice but small pieces showed up and I was like, "That's it?". We literally stopped at a burger joint on the way home. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing? The women seemed fine with the meal. My brother in law and myself, not so much.

Rick

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 56
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 8:37:00 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

Rick,

I think the difference is what you describe above is an undersized single entree. I agree that at times the portions, especially given the prices can be "too" small. And there have certainly been times when I've left a restaurant and felt like stopping at a burger joint. But the OP is for a specific meal, with multiple courses. I think one has to be careful to stick to the original question, as once you detour it can take on way too many variables. Just my opinion.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 57
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 12:07:24 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanatastic

I'm with you, the distinctions posed seem quite murky to me. Although wine does get you significantly drunker than food.

< Message edited by hankj -- 1/17/2018 12:11:18 PM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Tanatastic)
Post #: 58
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 2:02:04 PM   
Slye

quote:

quote:

I dont think I have as much experience with these things as you do mye (at least recently), but my experience has been the same as you. I have never left such meals hungry. In fact I find they usually hit the mark just right. The best ones are all about intense individual tastes -- I am thinking of Alinea in its early days as a great illustration of that.

I tend to be in the camp now of cooking myself and opening up a great bottle of wine that I have cellared for years -- the marginal cost, not to mention the comfort of home, is more preferable (particularly now with a one year old running around!). But I would echo KPB, if you have not gone to a really great restaurant once, you should try it. It can be such a great experience if done well -- far better on the food, ambience, service, and overall experience than at home. It all really has to do with our spending priorities

Mye -- on a bread course. Have you been to Willows Inn on Lummi? In the middle of their tasting menu they have a course of fresh baked bread and chicken drippings. That description does not do the course justice at all. It was amazing. I don't quite know why. They take four or five days making the bread. The chicken drippings are so pure -- not a hint of bitterness. It was an evening of amazing food, and we all agree that the bread and gravy was the best course. (A downside was that we bought a Bionic Frog for our cellar -- I think 2003), and it was corked.......)

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 59
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/17/2018 3:30:22 PM   
mye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

Mye -- on a bread course. Have you been to Willows Inn on Lummi? In the middle of their tasting menu they have a course of fresh baked bread and chicken drippings. That description does not do the course justice at all. It was amazing. I don't quite know why. They take four or five days making the bread. The chicken drippings are so pure -- not a hint of bitterness. It was an evening of amazing food, and we all agree that the bread and gravy was the best course. (A downside was that we bought a Bionic Frog for our cellar -- I think 2003), and it was corked.......)

not yet! but it actually is in the plans this year with two other couples. if we can get our ducks straights and execute on it!!
that sounds amazing.. good bread courses can be eye opening.. but man it makes you full and it ends up being a toss up between the last meat course, the cool creations of the pastry chef, or more bread.. tough call!

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How much would you pay for this meal? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI