CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? - 11/9/2018 3:10:04 PM   
Pianist718

Hi all,

I am looking to stock up a bit on futures wine. Curious to know what you are buying this month (or recently). I am specifically looking at Bordeaux and Napa cab heavy wines. Budget .... under $70/bottle.

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? - 11/9/2018 3:15:12 PM   
S1

Lewelling and Schrader are both pay-ahead Napa Cabs but I'm pretty sure both have lengthy waiting lists.
oops--Schrader is way north of 70 bucks

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Pianist718)
Post #: 2
RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? - 11/9/2018 3:23:46 PM   
CranBurgundy

Lemmesee.... Pre-ordered some '17 Prum Graacher Himmelreich (is anyone surprised?) a while back, and some '12 Prum Graacher Himmelreich (late release from Prum).

It isn't Bordeaux or Napa Cab, but it does meet the under $70 per bottle criteria.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? - 11/9/2018 3:38:09 PM   
KPB

You would probably be happy with wines like Meyney, Gruard Larose, Talbot, La Lagune.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? - 11/9/2018 3:44:09 PM   
KPB

PS: Neal Martin has a whole article on 2016 Bordeaux and in fact his focus was below your price point. Some of the top ranked wines in that article included Bibian, Tayac and Haut Marbuzet. The ones I mentioned are reliable strong producers, but I haven't tasted the 2016 versions. You would be priced out of the very top of the market.

CellarTracker's main database has a way to sort wines by price and then by score. So you could search for 2016 Bordeaux, look within your price range, and see what people are saying. There are already a fair number of TNs.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5
RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? - 11/10/2018 9:56:07 AM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pianist718

Hi all,

I am looking to stock up a bit on futures wine. Curious to know what you are buying this month (or recently). I am specifically looking at Bordeaux and Napa cab heavy wines. Budget .... under $70/bottle.

Thank you.

Hmmm, not sure how to answer this but will try for Bordeaux. The only thing I bought recently was 2015 Larrivet Haut-Brion, which I had at the Union des Grand Crus (UGC) tasting of the 2015 vintage in SF last January and loved. It was under $40, and had the freshness and pure fruit of the 2015 vintage and the minerality I love of a Pessac-Leognan.

The stores I use have mostly 2017 Bordeaux for futures sale, but I bought the high end for that year - the April frost hit some of the sites away from the river quite hard. Total Wine has a nice list for sale here Total Wine Futures Sale along with reviewer notes. They have Leoville Poyferre, which I bought.

The best recommendation I have is to buy some 2015 in bottle right now, try it, and see what you like. I restocked my daily drinkers with 2015 Bordeaux under $25 (Poitevin, Clos du Roy, Fourcas Dupre, Haura, L'Argenteyre, Les Cruzelles) as it is an early drinking vintage. Can also recommend Dauzac from Margaux and Carbonnieux from Pessac for 2015. As for 2016, which is an exceptional vintage in Bordeaux, I think the UCG is coming to NY in late January, and you can try LOTS of 2016's in a few hours - and decide what you like.

Finally, if you really want futures, suggest finding a local retailer who will offer the 2018 vintage this coming spring - like 2016 it is an excellent vintage. See this: Gavin Quinney 2018 vintage. But if you do want to buy 2016, I just checked and Flickinger's still has lots of futures for sale, including lots under $70

< Message edited by skifree -- 11/11/2018 9:21:12 PM >

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Pianist718)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI