CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: How do you grill?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How do you grill? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How do you grill? - 8/24/2019 1:38:44 PM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Charbroil 2-burner that does a great job. Perfect size for 4-6. Not allowed charcoal/open flames on the decks per HOA nazis.

Aren't you President!?

Nope! Had enough of being in charge for my work life. Just a humble member at large sir.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 31
RE: How do you grill? - 8/24/2019 1:59:25 PM   
Redrunners

I love to grill and use it several times a week, including all winter after clearing away the snow.
We entertain most weeks and can have a big crowd. Have grilled for crowds as big as 50 or 60 on occasion

A couple of years ago we put in a large stone patio, with a built in 40” grill and permanent gas line.
Cook everything on there from chicken on the rotisserie, flank steaks, chicken, ribs, salmon, grilled pizza, roasted vegetables.

If it can go on the grill it does.

Got a sous vide for last Christmas, that has cut a little into my grill use. Like to experiment with recipes and often finish in a hot cast iron skillet.

Having a big crowd of neighbors in September. This was a good reminder to start planning a menu for what to throw on the grill.

Patio with Grill

< Message edited by Redrunners -- 8/25/2019 6:34:06 AM >

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 32
RE: How do you grill? - 8/24/2019 6:41:45 PM   
CaliRed

As a few others have mentioned.... every great steak starts with a cast iron skillet sear. I'll keep a fillet in the skillet but the fattier cuts finish on the grill (your choice). Salt and pepper with a light EVO coat. I'll add garlic and thyme on my fav fillet recipe. A good meat thermometer (e.g. thermapen) is a must.

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 33
RE: How do you grill? - 8/27/2019 10:29:36 AM   
charleshoward

I love, Love, LOVE to grill! Several times a week, year round. I have a large back patio that I do not shovel, but I do make a path with the snow blower from the back door to the grill. I have a cheapo Charbroil 4 burner with side-burner, a Weber charcoal and just recently tossed a 4 rack meat smoker. I'm waiting for a smoker that I can control anywhere from my smartphone. That's my dream setup.

Love to grill steaks, salmon, and chicken. I'm a big kid who does not eat my vegetables, but everyone else loves the asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash on the grill. Also love to throw some onions on.

Depending on the dish, I like to put a little aluminum foil pan under the hottest part with a 50/50 mix of water and cheap wine to create a little steam.

I could go on forever! My quirky trademark is that I throw some mesquite chunks on while the grill warms up so the neighborhood knows I'm grilling!

(in reply to CaliRed)
Post #: 34
RE: How do you grill? - 8/27/2019 5:50:58 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: charleshoward

I love, Love, LOVE to grill! Several times a week, year round. I have a large back patio that I do not shovel, but I do make a path with the snow blower from the back door to the grill. I have a cheapo Charbroil 4 burner with side-burner, a Weber charcoal and just recently tossed a 4 rack meat smoker. I'm waiting for a smoker that I can control anywhere from my smartphone. That's my dream setup.

Love to grill steaks, salmon, and chicken. I'm a big kid who does not eat my vegetables, but everyone else loves the asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash on the grill. Also love to throw some onions on.

Depending on the dish, I like to put a little aluminum foil pan under the hottest part with a 50/50 mix of water and cheap wine to create a little steam.

I could go on forever! My quirky trademark is that I throw some mesquite chunks on while the grill warms up so the neighborhood knows I'm grilling!

Credit to you during the winter, especially a Chicago winter. Dark, windy & cold.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to charleshoward)
Post #: 35
RE: How do you grill? - 8/28/2019 10:07:10 AM   
GalvezGuy

With grilling being a year around activity I have made a recent switch. Have gone to a Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill with a sear box on the side. The sear box get up to 900 so does a great sear. My preference for grilled items is to smoke them at 220 within 5-10 degrees of desired temp (depending on thickness) and finish on the sear box. For smoking, the pellet grill is hard to beat. It is truly set and forget with no need to add wood, adjust vents, and all of the other fussy things that happen with traditional smokers.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 36
RE: How do you grill? - 8/28/2019 12:11:13 PM   
oskiwawa

sounds like a good set up. Essentially the same that I do a lot. Indirect on the Green Egg with smoke and then finish on the DCS gas grill. Works awesome on country pork ribs.

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

With grilling being a year around activity I have made a recent switch. Have gone to a Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill with a sear box on the side. The sear box get up to 900 so does a great sear. My preference for grilled items is to smoke them at 220 within 5-10 degrees of desired temp (depending on thickness) and finish on the sear box. For smoking, the pellet grill is hard to beat. It is truly set and forget with no need to add wood, adjust vents, and all of the other fussy things that happen with traditional smokers.

quote:

Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill

< Message edited by oskiwawa -- 8/29/2019 1:03:02 AM >

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 37
RE: How do you grill? - 8/28/2019 1:08:40 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

sounds like a good set up. Essentially the same that I do a lot. Indirect on the Green Egg with smoke and then finish on the DCS gas grill. Works awesome on country pork ribs.

Kevin

quote:

quote:

Assume you just add wood chips somewhere in the EGG? When i smoke anything i just use a bin full of wood chips and place them on the grill when i'm warming everything up. I don't own a smoker and really just don't get most charcoal grills.....growing up my friends who owned charcoal grills didn't know what they were doing and everything was awful.

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 38
RE: How do you grill? - 8/28/2019 7:29:57 PM   
oskiwawa

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

Kevin

quote:

quote:

Assume you just add wood chips somewhere in the EGG? When i smoke anything i just use a bin full of wood chips and place them on the grill when i'm warming everything up. I don't own a smoker and really just don't get most charcoal grills.....growing up my friends who owned charcoal grills didn't know what they were doing and everything was awful.

i cook with indirect heat by putting the hardwood charcoal on one side. I then have a bunch of wood chunks I put on top of the hardwood charcoal stack. The chunks are around 2x2x2 inches or so. My preferred wood is hickory

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 39
RE: How do you grill? - 8/28/2019 10:54:03 PM   
ikileo

weber grill with hardwood lump charcoal. on occasion with briquettes for convenience.
love chimney starters.

i have an old school clay Chinese charcoal stove from my grandma that i use for small pieces.

A bottle a day keeps my money away.

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 40
RE: How do you grill? - 8/29/2019 4:21:56 AM   
racerchris

George Foreman

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 41
RE: How do you grill? - 8/29/2019 4:22:05 AM   
BornToRhone

A friend of mine (thanks, Oskiwawa) clued me in to the Green Egg quite a few years back and I would not trade it for the world. I only have the Egg and no other grills, and I do my salmon, pork butts, pork ribs, shrimp, fish, pork tenderloins, etc on the egg. Pretty much everything except as of late, some steaks I have been sous vide-ing and finishing in my large Mauviel carbon-steel pan.

Charcoal got a bad name from the briquettes soaked in lighter fluid but the lump charcoal which still looks like wood tree branches works great and adds flavor. For more flavor, add wood chunks of your favorite tree - I like apple for pork, hickory/mesquite for beef, and Alder for fish.

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 8/29/2019 4:27:08 AM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 42
RE: How do you grill? - 9/2/2019 4:48:00 AM   
khmark7

OK, just ordered a medium Green Egg. Been doing some research, but one thing i can't figure out if going from indirect cooking to searing, in the same cooking session. I found an interesting recipe on the website that calls for 30 mins indirect cooking, then followed by a quick sear. How on earth do you remove the indirect cooking ConvEGGtor when the coals are buring? Any suggestions?

Looking forward to experimenting this fall.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 43
RE: How do you grill? - 9/2/2019 5:35:14 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

You will need a good pair of insulated glove/mitts. And important in your setup to have a heat resistant place to set the ceramic plate. My buddy didn't take this into account and promptly set his picnic table on fire.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 44
RE: How do you grill? - 11/6/2019 4:55:55 AM   
khmark7

Read something online about using grape vines for smoking. Anyone try this. Since i have ample vines to erm..... prune, i will have plenty of opportunities to try this. If anyone needs any just DM me.

Also, anyone try smoking with pear wood? Any other interesting wood chips?

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 45
RE: How do you grill? - 11/6/2019 5:13:38 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedRedMoreRed

You will need a good pair of insulated glove/mitts. And important in your setup to have a heat resistant place to set the ceramic plate. My buddy didn't take this into account and promptly set his picnic table on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchwE9zVdnw

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 46
RE: How do you grill? - 11/6/2019 5:34:08 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 47
RE: How do you grill? - 11/6/2019 7:37:50 AM   
MCrawford

We love to grille!!! Remodeled our upper deck area a couple of years ago and built an outdoor bar area. Spent the money to have NG run and bought a Blaze commercial grille.

https://www.bbqguys.com/blaze-outdoor-products/lte-32-inch-4-burner-built-in-natural-gas-grill-with-rear-infrared-burner-grill-lights-blz-4lte2-ng

Don't regret it a bit. Even in OH, we just shovel the snow and fire it up!!! No tanks to switch and endless gas available.

- You drink beer and sip whiskey but you share wine!

Post #: 48
RE: How do you grill? - 11/6/2019 8:15:14 AM   
racerchris

quote:

Read something online about using grape vines for smoking. Anyone try this.

I use grapevine smoked culinary flake salt every day. It adds a nice subtle flavor to anything that needs a little salt.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 49
RE: How do you grill? - 11/6/2019 8:47:38 AM   
Hooters

quote:

ORIGINAL: desertwine

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Sorry, I don’t get the sous vide thing on tenderloin and scallops. Aren’t they already tender?

It's not about tender, it's about perfectly cooked through, then marked.
Great cooking method for many things. Did beef Wellington for 30 and souvided the tenderloins to medium rare mostly and 1 quite rare. Then add the duxelle on top, then put together. In the time to get the puff to rise, there is no way to be sure of even doneness on the meat.
Sorry to hijack to a sous vide comment.

I've never even thought to SV for a wellington - what a good idea!

As to the topic, another 3 grill Weber here. Absolutely anything gets grilled, though slow cooked baby back ribs with a simple rub are definitely one of the winners.

“I love everything that is old; old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines.”
― Oliver Goldsmith, The Vicar of Wakefield

(in reply to desertwine)
Post #: 50
RE: How do you grill? - 11/6/2019 9:47:27 AM   
rwilk_2000

Traeger, Weber Kettle and Weber 3 burner NG grill. Find myself using the traeger 99% of the time now, although I do miss charcoal from time to time. The Traeger just keeps everything so simple and meats come out so well on it.

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Post #: 51
RE: How do you grill? - 3/8/2020 7:02:43 AM   
khmark7

Grilling season in Chicago is open with DST now giving us more light in the evening and our improving weather (no snow on the ground). Got my Green Egg out and tonight have a giant ribeye planned. Also have saved a "lot" of grape cuttings for smoking, along with a fair amount of additional apple wood cuttings from my trees.

Anybody breaking in a new grill setup?

Post #: 52
RE: How do you grill? - 3/8/2020 7:43:00 PM   
BornToRhone

quote:

Grilling season in Chicago is open with DST now giving us more light in the evening and our improving weather (no snow on the ground). Got my Green Egg out and tonight have a giant ribeye planned. Also have saved a "lot" of grape cuttings for smoking, along with a fair amount of additional apple wood cuttings from my trees.

Well - how'd the ribeye go tonight?

No new grill here but last weekend I did a 10 hour cook on a pork shoulder which I subsequently shredded into some nice Carolina style pulled pork sandwiches (with the vinegar based slaw on top). Hmmm!

I did recently get a Flame Boss 500 controller for my BGE which is major cool. It controls the fan to keep the internal temps correct while also giving you the internal temp, fan speed, meat temp, and any out of range warnings all on your cellphone. It means you can even leave to go down to the bar and monitor your 15 hour cook remotely.

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 3/8/2020 7:46:22 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 53
RE: How do you grill? - 3/10/2020 5:17:13 AM   
daviladc

We are just finishing up our outdoor kitchen. The granite goes in on Thursday and all the components are ready to be installed next week when the propane lines get installed. This deck/kitchen project has been going on since November and I'm ready to be done.

27" Lynx Professional Grill
Lynx Power Burner
Evo cast iron flat top skillet
Ooni Pizza Oven wood burning and propane hook-up.

Since we mainly use the sous vide for steaks, we never entertained the thought of a Green Egg.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

Post #: 54
RE: How do you grill? - 3/19/2020 5:36:11 AM   
daviladc

Our Lynx Professional is finally hooked up and the Trident searing station is AWESOME! Prime Ribeye sous vide at 130° for 2.5 hours and then seared at 1000°+ for 2 minutes each side. Absolute restaurant quality!

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 55
RE: How do you grill? - 3/19/2020 6:23:41 PM   
Montana Chancellor

ok, something a bit different. We live in a condo in Montana. We use a small Charbroil electric infared grill. Its gets hot fast, and puts a nice char on a steak. Plus its our only real option in a condo. That's the Country Courthouse in the background, and yes, there is still plenty of snow in Great Falls.

https://oi350.photobucket.com/albums/q402/deultgen/20200319_190327_zpsruub5kqr.jpg[image][/image]

< Message edited by Montana Chancellor -- 3/19/2020 6:41:31 PM >

Montana Chancellor

"Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath, and a glass of wine" St. Thomas Aquinas

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 56
RE: How do you grill? - 3/20/2020 3:25:53 AM   
Yossarian

When it comes to BBQ - I insist on Weber. You yanks know what you are doing when it comes to BBQs - no question.

Really so much better than any other brand over here for the money - I've just spend £1,400 on a new Weber gas Genesis - replacing the crappy old Australian piece of crap we had. We've also got a standard charcoal Weber that has happily sat in our garden for 12 years and still looks brand new.

We usually cook all the meat outside on the gas BBQ now to ensure I can get a nice sear on the meat without smoking out the house. We use the charcoal one for smoking chickens.... lovely stuff. Damn! Looks like I'll be doing a BBQ today

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 57
RE: How do you grill? - 3/20/2020 6:27:33 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

When it comes to BBQ - I insist on Weber. You yanks know what you are doing when it comes to BBQs - no question.

Really so much better than any other brand over here for the money - I've just spend £1,400 on a new Weber gas Genesis - replacing the crappy old Australian piece of crap we had. We've also got a standard charcoal Weber that has happily sat in our garden for 12 years and still looks brand new.

We usually cook all the meat outside on the gas BBQ now to ensure I can get a nice sear on the meat without smoking out the house. We use the charcoal one for smoking chickens.... lovely stuff. Damn! Looks like I'll be doing a BBQ today

Flannery KC strip on the Charcoal Weber tonight

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 58
RE: How do you grill? - 3/20/2020 6:36:37 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: BornToRhone

quote:

Well - how'd the ribeye go tonight?

No new grill here but last weekend I did a 10 hour cook on a pork shoulder which I subsequently shredded into some nice Carolina style pulled pork sandwiches (with the vinegar based slaw on top). Hmmm!

I did recently get a Flame Boss 500 controller for my BGE which is major cool. It controls the fan to keep the internal temps correct while also giving you the internal temp, fan speed, meat temp, and any out of range warnings all on your cellphone. It means you can even leave to go down to the bar and monitor your 15 hour cook remotely.

I'm still learning on the Egg, so i overshot the ribeye but i did get a nice char on it. I have a pork tenderloin i will experiment with next, that i can use my remote thermometer on.....that will be smoked nicely.

Waiting on some decent weather right now before i grill outside again.

Post #: 59
RE: How do you grill? - 3/20/2020 12:55:19 PM   
fasteddie35

Regular Weber kettle. Hard wood charcoal. Electric starter. Easy to grill 12 months a year here in Seattle. Although I did it all year long in Chicago. My wife preps, and I grill everything. Cheers, Ed

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: How do you grill? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI