CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Wine fridge for a newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wine fridge for a newbie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/23/2020 2:03:45 PM   
Wine Grove

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ceriano

What’s the difference between high end wine coolers like EuroCave and the cheap thermoelectric ones like the new air other than capacity? Neither one has a humidity control unit I don’t think.

I’ve no doubt that I will eventually set up a proper cellar and start a collection at some point, I just hate the initial cost keeping me away from the hobby. Off site wine storage unit would be a good option in my case but unfortunately we don’t have any in our area.

The difference is, Thermoelectric does NOT Have a compressor, so it cannot get very cold like a typical wine fridge with a compressor. Thermoelectric can only get like 10 degrees cooler than the temp it is surrounded by, whereas the compressor will crank on the cooling and cool whites like a normal fridge, if it has the range. My old small 40-bottle wine fridge has a compressor, and 2 zones one for Reds and one for whites. You can pick something like this up around +/- $100 or so

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 31
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/23/2020 2:14:39 PM   
Wine Grove

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

What a coincidence.... there's a thread on Wine Berserkers about a vertical of MacDonald going back to 2009. The 2009 is very rare as it was not offered to the public and only 22 cases were made in total. The owner of the vertical offered it up to charity, the auction listed it, but when the donor went to his offsite storage facility to take pictures for the listing he could NOT find that bottle of 2009. Read here for more details - he's post #6 / Alex Gillette:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2967464#p2967464

Given that the regular bottles of MacDonald sell for $400 - $750 at retail depending on the vintage, what do you think that single bottle was worth....$900? $1000 or more? If it were me, I'd be swinging the aluminum bat, demanding that bottle be "found" and returned OR ELSE. I wouldn't want to hear that the employees, manager, or owner "have an explanation of what they think happened".

I wish Maureen Downey was a regular contributing member of CT so she could expound on all the cases (pun completely intended because it surely can be taken either way) of wine stolen out of storage facilities she's handled.

To the OP again: of course, you can do what you choose. The 1 or 2 incidents that we hear about each year or so doesn't mean the entire wine storage industry is stacked with thieves. However, I refuse to take the risk - not only of losing valuable wine, but potentially going to jail for felonious assault (or worse) when I flipped out on the staff.

EDIT for a quote by Charlie Fu, Berserker Moderator: ".... all the security in the world doesn’t matter when the people inside are shady."

Cran,
check out this story, I recall this as it is local to me in Orange county, CA. dude robbed his own kid's clients/storage facility.

https://www.ocregister.com/2013/11/27/the-27-million-wine-heist/

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 32
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/23/2020 2:54:25 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove

Cran,
check out this story, I recall this as it is local to me in Orange county, CA. dude robbed his own kid's clients/storage facility.

https://www.ocregister.com/2013/11/27/the-27-million-wine-heist/

Yes, I know about Legend Cellars.... and Safe Harbour, and Domaine Cellars (Marc Lazar), and Esquin Cellars, and Chelsea Wine & Storage, and Valley Wine, and Mare Island.....

If these were all reported major thefts, imagine how many lesser thefts (by overall amount) go untold in the media or even unreported? I'm not even getting into the scams artists either, like John Fox / Premier Cru, Carolina Wine, Fire Wines / Maurice, etc. Lotsa people looking to separate wine buyers from their money or valuable bottles.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 33
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/23/2020 3:50:50 PM   
mye

quote:

What’s the difference between high end wine coolers like EuroCave and the cheap thermoelectric ones like the new air other than capacity? Neither one has a humidity control unit I don’t think.

Eurocave and LeCache DEFINITELY has humidity control.. these wine cabinets weigh hundreds of pounds EMPTY.

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 34
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/24/2020 12:13:20 PM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

I started with a 29 bottle GE Profile wine cooler (compressor) in 2007... I still have it as my only home wine fridge. I store 90-95% of my wine at an off-site wine locker.

I'm probably jinxing myself, but I had that cooler almost 13 years, moved it 6 times and no less than 1 flight of stairs each time and twice 3 flights of stairs (up and down once each time).

I think generally speaking thermoelectric are cheaper fridges. The benefits are lower electric usage and quieter... cons can't do white temps well and as notes above only good at lower the outside air temp 20 degrees to chill your wines.

Article on thermoelectric vs. compressor...

https://www.newair.com/blogs/learn/thermoelectric-wine-coolers-compressor-wine-coolers

quote:

quote:

vinopkm

Thanks Vinopk. The Frigidaire unit uses compressor. Should I stick to thermoelectric units of compressor is fine too?

This is a more current article from the site Vinopkm provided. I think it does a little better job explaining both types of units. In the end, it gets down to your environment and your preferences. https://www.newair.com/blogs/learn/compressor-wine-coolers-vs-thermoelectric-wine-coolers

PlanoWino

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 35
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/25/2020 8:39:53 AM   
Ceriano

Very interesting article mjobtx! thanks for sharing. The smaller thermo. units are cheaper than compressors but the cost goes up exponentially. This explains why.
I think for now I will go with a small thermo unit and start experimenting until I'm more invested in the hobby. I have narrowed down my search to these two units. Both are very reasonably priced and I don't mind giving them away when I'm ready to upgrade.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/newair-28-bottle-wine-cooler-stainless-steel/8966644.p?skuId=8966644

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-28-Bottle-Wine-Cooler-in-Black-MCWC28B/205375889?modalType=drawer

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 36
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/26/2020 4:23:04 AM   
Jenise

I've never known anyone who went small who wasn't sorry almost immediately--as soon as you've got that space, you'll fill it. 28 bottles for someone who thinks they want to have a collection someday is nothing. In a year you'll wish you had room for 100-300. Especially in these weird times--you're going to see wine deals like you've never seen them before. Might as well be prepared to jump on them! Go ahead, buy something bigger--what you spend on the unit you'll save on wine and you'll be so much further ahead in building your collection.

< Message edited by Jenise -- 4/26/2020 4:52:00 AM >

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 37
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/26/2020 5:10:52 AM   
Paul852

I agree entirely with Jenise - get something bigger. I went with a fridge holding about 160 bottles a couple of years ago, and it's already the restraint that stops me grabbing some of the great offers around at the moment. I could easily fill another one.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 38
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/26/2020 12:08:09 PM   
Ceriano

I was thinking to use the fridge to store higher end wines ($60+). I have well over 200 bottles right now but most are in $20-$40 dollars range and based on what I gathered so far they don't really need to be stored in a fridge for short term. I'm very new to nicer wines and I'm sure I have a lot of learnings to do.

[image][/image]

< Message edited by Ceriano -- 4/27/2020 6:08:20 PM >

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 39
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/26/2020 3:48:06 PM   
Jenise

quote:

I was thinking to use the fridge to store higher end wines ($60+). I have well over 200 bottles right now but most are in $20-$40 dollars range and based on what I gathered so far they don't really need to be stored in a fridge for short term. I'm very new to nicer wines and I'm sure I have a lot of learnings to do.

Understood. But those of us who have been at this for a long time are drinking a lot of GREAT $20-$40 bottles from ten years ago. Don't presume that just because you didn't pay a lot for it, it won't reward cellaring or protecting.

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 40
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/26/2020 6:15:01 PM   
Ceriano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

quote:

Understood. But those of us who have been at this for a long time are drinking a lot of GREAT $20-$40 bottles from ten years ago. Don't presume that just because you didn't pay a lot for it, it won't reward cellaring or protecting.

Absolutely and I guess that'd be part of my learning process. One thing for sure, moving forward I will only buy cases of wines I absolutely enjoy regardless of the price. I have impulse bought several cases of wine at close outs in the past, just because at the time I felt I was getting a good deal. I did not enjoy them much back then and I still don't enjoy them.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 41
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/27/2020 2:31:52 PM   
Jenise

Been there, done that. Still do sometimes--it's easy to get caught up in a good pitch and there are a lot of masters out there who can make any dreck sound magical (like Stefan Blicker of Last Bottle and Jon Rimmerman of Garagiste). But I rarely buy cases. I crave variety and experimentation, and am a very unprogrammed shopper so I buy lots of three's and four's and rarely more than six of any one thing.

(in reply to Ceriano)
Post #: 42
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 4/27/2020 5:35:44 PM   
mclancy10006

A visual journey for you on the wine fridge.

Prior to 2003 - Picture #1 the original "cellar"
2003-2013 - Picture #2 the first cooler with plenty of off site storage in the mix ~40 bottles. Used this for ready to drink back from storage and just arrived to send out to storage. (NYC life)
2013+ - Picture #3 the "on site cellar" - Still have bulk in offistes, but needed more options (408 in double deep racks). Sub-urban life

#2 cheap Haier unit that still works.
#3. http://www.lecachewinecabinets.com/le-cache-3800-classic

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 43
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 2/13/2024 5:34:10 AM   
Wademartin

Investing in a wine fridge to store your higher-end wines ($60+) is a wise decision. While wines in the $20-$40 range may not necessarily require refrigeration for short-term storage, higher-end wines can benefit from the consistent temperature and humidity control provided by a BougeRV e series fridge. It's a great way to ensure that your valuable wines age gracefully and maintain their quality over time. Plus, as you continue to explore the world of finer wines, having a dedicated storage space will give you the opportunity to learn and appreciate their nuances and complexities.

< Message edited by Wademartin -- 2/25/2024 7:17:49 PM >

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 44
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 2/13/2024 7:34:38 AM   
DoubleD1969

Nice thread-find wademartin! Welcome to CT!

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006
A visual journey for you on the wine fridge.

This is so true. Lol

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 45
RE: Wine fridge for a newbie - 2/16/2024 3:52:37 AM   
#winewithryan

We ended up going with a Danby 72 bottle wine fridge. We keep anywhere from $20 wines up top to $200+ at the bottom. We keep it around 16-17 degrees Celsius which is perfect for most reds we enjoy. For the whites and roses, the little chill helps us to get them colder before we put them into our larger fridge when we enjoy. Love the aesthetics in our kitchen with this and it becomes a conversation piece for those coming over who aren't wine lovers yet.

Budding wine lover since 2013
Making wine videos and posts to compile an online wine library
Insta: ryan_baliski
Youtube; musclecarfan1 & #winewithryan https://www.youtube.com/@musclecarfan1/shorts
Tiktok: @winewithryan

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Wine fridge for a newbie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI