CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/17/2020 12:43:49 PM   
joebigwig

Had a debate about this the other night, but I wasn't with wine drinkers experienced enough to know what they are talking about. SO I told the group that I was going to post on here. Lets just say you did not own a wine refrigerator. For red wines stored for long term/5yrs+, would you store those in a regular refrigerator (40 degrees) or at room temp (say 72 degrees)?

Would love to hear from those of you who know about the science of what happens inside the bottle over time.
Post #: 1
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/17/2020 2:10:51 PM   
Jenmermaidia

Room temp. Long term refridgeration will dry out the corks. 72 isnt ideal but it isnt horrible either if it stays constant.

(in reply to joebigwig)
Post #: 2
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/17/2020 2:35:20 PM   
Blue Shorts

Neither method is ideal.

In a refrigerator, the corks may dry out (as the other poster mentioned). Also, at 40 degrees, the wine won't really "age" much in 5 years or less.

At 72 degrees, the wine should be fine, but I wouldn't push it with ageing.

The general consensus is that around 54 F is the ideal temperature for ageing. It is the balance between the good chemical reactions and the bad ones. As the temperature increases, the bad chemical reactions increase more quickly than the good ones.

(in reply to joebigwig)
Post #: 3
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/17/2020 4:28:59 PM   
CranBurgundy

My answer is it depends on the type of wine. Some grapes are heartier than others. 72˚ shouldn't hurt Cabernet based wines. Nor Port of any type.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 4
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/17/2020 7:34:44 PM   
DoubleD1969

If it is a red wine, storing for 5 years won’t make a difference on the wine; 72F may even help it. 10 years will probably not impact the wine, assuming the wine can or should be aged that long. The cork will start to dry out by Year 10 without proper humidity. At 20 years, neither option is good. 72F (assuming all year round) will accelerate the aging process and not necessarily for the better e.g, browning at the edges of the wine in the glass.

For white wines, 5 years won’t make a difference in either storage option. At 10 years, constant 72F may make the wine turn a maize yellow and give it an oxidized note. There aren’t a lot of white wines that can age 20 years+.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 5
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/17/2020 8:35:42 PM   
Sourdough

There are more considerations than listed so far..in addition to red/white, sweet/dry, cork quality and length are also factors. As are light, temperature variation, and potentially vibration. I stored two bottles of primo 1968 Napa Cab S from 1971 to 1993 at room temp in a chest of drawers wrapped in sweaters to minimize temperature swings and we tried to keep our house at constant temp year round. After 20+ years both bottles were superb though the corks were really fragile. If all is good room temp can work well. But I have also seen bottles less ideally stored at room temp show problems within a year. But I have seen more problems with whites in a conventional fridge. (Subzero reefers have higher humidity and don't seem to shrink corks so badly). So I favor room temp but with t h e caveat that it should be carefully stored, dark, insulated, etc.

< Message edited by Sourdough -- 10/17/2020 8:41:51 PM >

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 6
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/18/2020 11:48:46 AM   
bacchus

I have had many red wines stored at 68 degrees with no deleterious effects for up to 30 years. Storing at 56 degrees might have added some longevity but I won't live that long. Temperature constancy is said to be an important factor. I agree that lack of humidity can do a number on some older corks. Modern enclosures seem to be immune to this.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 7
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/19/2020 1:29:35 PM   
RedLoverJim

I'd go with room temperature, but make sure it's in a dark place, on their sides. Other's have mentioned insulating them in some way (sweaters, etc.) and that'd be good. Early in my wine buying I had some bottles I stored in a front living room in open air, well lit and subject to heat variation. They were ones I just didn't have room for in free standing wine cellar I had at the time. I still have a couple from then that I'm very suspicious about judging by the cork condition.

RLJ

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 8
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/19/2020 5:00:51 PM   
Sourdough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sourdough

There are more considerations than listed so far..in addition to red/white, sweet/dry, cork quality and length are also factors. As are light, temperature variation, and potentially vibration. I stored two bottles of primo 1968 Napa Cab S from 1971 to 1993 at room temp in a chest of drawers wrapped in sweaters to minimize temperature swings and we tried to keep our house at constant temp year round. After 20+ years both bottles were superb though the corks were really fragile. If all is good room temp can work well. But I have also seen bottles less ideally stored at room temp show problems within a year. But I have seen more problems with whites in a conventional fridge. (Subzero reefers have higher humidity and don't seem to shrink corks so badly). So I favor room temp but with the caveat that it should be carefully stored, dark, insulated, etc.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 9
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/19/2020 5:58:18 PM   
WineGuyCO

If you had put 2005 Left Bank Bordeaux in a refrigerator they might never be ready to drink. On the other hand keeping them at room temperature would have made them a bit more accessible earlier. Room temperature would be my pick between the two. Room temp in my CO basement is about 60 degrees all year long. Slightly warmer than my cellar.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 10/19/2020 6:00:11 PM >

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 10
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/20/2020 10:13:17 AM   
BrentwoodAuctions

I agree with everything that's been said here. I only put red's in the fridge if I opened but didn't finish the bottle. For long term storage consistent room temp is much better, however I wouldn't age it past a few years. 5 is pushing it but doable.

Another thing to note is that 5 years at room temp will ruin all resale value of the wine. If you plan on reselling these wines you will need better storage conditions.

Stephen Allison
Brentwood Wine Company
https://www.brentwoodwine.com/

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 11
RE: Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp - 10/20/2020 2:13:20 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrentwoodAuctions

If you plan on reselling these wines you will need better storage conditions.

Reselling your wines????? Blasphemy

I actually traded a case of wine once long ago. A case of 1978 BV Private Reserve for a case of 1986 Pichon LaLande. I had never had a Bordeaux at that point. Needless to say....I got it !! That my friends is how I got into Bordeaux. The rest is history.

Rick

(in reply to BrentwoodAuctions)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Long term - Refrigerator or Room Temp Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI