CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/9/2021 9:07:15 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Speaking of chenin they excel in the sweeter realm too. I like Sauternes--a lot--but sweet chenins are more intriguing. A local store had three of the 2018 Huet Le Mont Premiere Tries on their shelf and I patiently waited months until the annual 15% off everything sale on February 1st before I swept in and took them all for low $40's.
It's sometimes useful to move bottles to the back of a shelf and put a row of cheap plonk in front. Or better yet move them to the cereal aisle behind the shredded wheat. This last one is harder to do in a dedicated wine shop.

Now that's what I call risk management or altruism?

< Message edited by jmcmchi -- 2/9/2021 9:08:15 AM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 121
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/9/2021 10:17:11 AM   
Sean McGrath

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean McGrath

quote:

Do we have an audience for Chenin here? ... spirited discussion elsewhere suggests we do! I thought it would be fun to have an ongoing discussion here --- Chenin is worthy of its own thread.

So, who's a fan? Why? How did you come into Chenin? --- it's not exactly as ubiquitous as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. What do you love (or hate!) about it? Particular food pairings where Chenin kills it?

Interesting, I just checked my cellar report: I have thirty-eight different "master varieties" in my cellar, and not one bottle of Chenin Blanc!

Aside from maybe sparkling, it is never really spoken to me (I only know the Loire, not the SA). Out of curiosity, are you mostly speaking about the off-dry from the Loire, or what type do you mostly go for?

Well, I'm interested in talking about Chenin in all of its forms from every corner of the world. As for myself, I tend towards the dry versions from the Loire.

Thanks, Graf. Not sure I've had a dry one. Loire is easy to get here -- do you have a suggestion for what to try?

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 122
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/9/2021 1:17:00 PM   
grafstrb

Vigneau-Chevreau
Chidaine
Huet
Guiberteau
Benoit Courault
Thibaud Boudignon
Jacky Blot
Foreau

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Sean McGrath)
Post #: 123
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/9/2021 1:31:09 PM   
wineismylife

Just picked up 6 x 2019 Sadie Family Skurfberg Olifants River Valley.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 124
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/10/2021 4:36:44 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

By reputation and CT tasting notes, that seems to be one of the most sought after around, with a price to match. Though clearly on a quite different level from the pricing of wines of that quality from more prestigious origin.

I've just noticed that Alheit's most sought-after single vineyard wine, Magnetic North Mountain Makstok, is also Olifants River.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 125
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/10/2021 2:45:19 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

The only two Sadie Family wines I've had (neither the Skurfberg) suggest to me you're in for a real treat!

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 126
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/10/2021 8:00:46 PM   
BenG

Hey Grafstrb (did I pronounce that right?),

I noticed you bought some Chappellet Dry Chenin Blanc and looking back through its TNs, it seems they produced dry Chenin Blanc for a few decades, stopped around 2004 (I read they pulled out their vines and replanted in 2009) and started up again in 2019. There are a few TNs that gave some older vintages high accolades for cellaring beyond 20 years. Did you get any sense that the modern iteration of Chappellet Dry Chenin Blanc will age?

Shane

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 127
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/13/2021 11:19:03 AM   
MrAndMrsCulshaw

Until I started educating myself with a ten week “World Of Wine” course from our local wine school I can say I had only had about 10 bottles of any whites in 15 years….
First the Vouvray of the Loire opened my eyes but then as we discovered Chenin Blanc from South Africa it was something that truly opened my eyes to this underappreciated variety..
Much sampling later and a firm favourite has become the punningly titled “Jonty’s Ducks Pekin White” from the Avondale Wine Estate in Paarl.
The Ducks refers to the “posse” of ducks, which patrol the vineyard looking for and destroying snails, which eat the vines. The ducks are an eco-friendly way to avoid using harmful chemical poisons to kill pests and act as The Guardians Of The Vines on Avondale.
Chenin Blanc driven with a careful balance of Roussanne, Viognier and Semillon lead to aromas of floral notes, peach and a hint of honey. On the palate the peach continues with other citrus notes and some saltiness peeping through as well.
Overall, simply delicious!

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 128
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/13/2021 2:10:36 PM   
lockestep

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

I was drinking Chenin back in the late 1970s. This was before Chardonnay became the Cool Kid and the must drink white wine. I need to go diving in my old notebooks and see who I really liked back then.
Today Sandlands is filling that slot for me. I’m trying to hold out and get 5+ years on some bottles. I think it will be more than worth it, but with small allocations and being pretty tasty now, it is hard to hold off. I do have 1 bottle left of the 15 Lodi and 3 of the 16 Amador, so some have made it.

I would *love* to hear which Chenins you were drinking back in the day! Sandlands I have not yet tried, but it's at the top of my domestic list, with William Kelley's "Beau Rivage" right behind it, as ones I want to try.

How would you compare the Sandlands to examples from the Loire?

Finally pulled out my old notes from the late 70's. The best two that early 20's me left notes on were Alexander Valley Vineyards and Beringer. Had kind of a poor showing from Mondavi on the other hand.
If you handed me a glass of Sandlands Amador and told me it was French, I would guess Anjou, not Vouvray.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 129
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/13/2021 2:58:25 PM   
fingers

quote:

Finally pulled out my old notes from the late 70's. The best two that early 20's me left notes on were Alexander Valley Vineyards and Beringer. Had kind of a poor showing from Mondavi on the other hand.
If you handed me a glass of Sandlands Amador and told me it was French, I would guess Anjou, not Vouvray.

cue: Seinfeld
Not that there's anything wrong with that

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 130
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/22/2021 10:57:23 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

Hey Grafstrb (did I pronounce that right?),

I noticed you bought some Chappellet Dry Chenin Blanc and looking back through its TNs, it seems they produced dry Chenin Blanc for a few decades, stopped around 2004 (I read they pulled out their vines and replanted in 2009) and started up again in 2019. There are a few TNs that gave some older vintages high accolades for cellaring beyond 20 years. Did you get any sense that the modern iteration of Chappellet Dry Chenin Blanc will age?

Shane

No. Not at all. I have two bottles remaining, and they will be gone before the summer is over. It's just a bit too big with not enough tension to age well, imo. But it is a delicious wine that is worth buying.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 131
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/22/2021 10:59:13 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was drinking Chenin back in the late 1970s. This was before Chardonnay became the Cool Kid and the must drink white wine. I need to go diving in my old notebooks and see who I really liked back then.
Today Sandlands is filling that slot for me. I’m trying to hold out and get 5+ years on some bottles. I think it will be more than worth it, but with small allocations and being pretty tasty now, it is hard to hold off. I do have 1 bottle left of the 15 Lodi and 3 of the 16 Amador, so some have made it.

I would *love* to hear which Chenins you were drinking back in the day! Sandlands I have not yet tried, but it's at the top of my domestic list, with William Kelley's "Beau Rivage" right behind it, as ones I want to try.

How would you compare the Sandlands to examples from the Loire?

Hmmmm, o.k.. Interesting. Thanks for the response.

And how the hell did you find your notes from 40+ years ago?!!?

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 132
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/22/2021 11:00:14 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

cue: Seinfeld
Not that there's anything wrong with that

Heck no, there's not! Thibaud Boudignon is out of Anjou, and the 2015 I had of his is rip-roarin' awesome!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 133
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/27/2021 9:16:54 AM   
ImUrHuckleberry

Any thoughts on if a dry unoaked Loire chenin blanc would pair well with seared scallops? Likely butter and lemon, but I could mix that up a bit to make it work better with chenin blanc. (Normally I would go with White Burgundy or a N. Coast chardonnay for scallops, but I'm in the mood for a chenin blanc.

I've searched a bit online, but it's hard to tell because there are many styles of Loire chenin blanc.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 134
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/27/2021 2:38:20 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: ImUrHuckleberry

Any thoughts on if a dry unoaked Loire chenin blanc would pair well with seared scallops? Likely butter and lemon, but I could mix that up a bit to make it work better with chenin blanc. (Normally I would go with White Burgundy or a N. Coast chardonnay for scallops, but I'm in the mood for a chenin blanc.

I've searched a bit online, but it's hard to tell because there are many styles of Loire chenin blanc.

dry Chenin from the Loire is, possibly, my *favorite* wine to pair with scallops (if not Champagne). Let us know how it goes for you!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 135
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/27/2021 3:21:06 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

quote:

dry Chenin from the Loire is, possibly, my *favorite* wine to pair with scallops (if not Champagne). Let us know how it goes for you!

Thanks. I asked kind of last minute and hadn't heard back from anybody so I went for it. It worked very nice. I kept the scallops very simple, seared in oil and butter and then squeezed lemon juice on them and salt/pepper to taste. Had broccoli and couscous as sides.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 136
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/27/2021 5:03:15 PM   
khmark7

quote:

When i did scallops just earlier this week i opened a Michigan Gewurztraminer. Since then i've been pan searing shrimp and pairing with fettuccini in a white sauce with a bottle of Croatian white wine.....no idea the varietal but it was similar to Pinot Gris.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 137
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 2/27/2021 11:44:28 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks. I asked kind of last minute and hadn't heard back from anybody so I went for it. It worked very nice. I kept the scallops very simple, seared in oil and butter and then squeezed lemon juice on them and salt/pepper to taste. Had broccoli and couscous as sides.

Awesome! Broccoli and cous cous make regular appearances at our address, too.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 138
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 3/30/2021 12:42:48 AM   
grafstrb

Had a slightly corked 2019 Huet - Clos du Bourg Sec last week. Obviously, the TCA was a deal-breaker, but those couple sips did reveal what seemed like an amazing wine underneath. Worth seeking-out.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 139
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 1/24/2024 12:52:40 PM   
grafstrb

couple weeks ago I found one worth adding to the Rebuy list: Chateau Yvonne, out of Saumur. Tried both the 2020 and 2021, just the standard Saumur blanc.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 140
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 1/24/2024 2:02:51 PM   
wineismylife

quote:

couple weeks ago I found one worth adding to the Rebuy list: Chateau Yvonne, out of Saumur. Tried both the 2020 and 2021, just the standard Saumur blanc.

Fass purchase?

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 141
RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. - 1/24/2024 2:09:00 PM   
grafstrb

Nope. Purchased from a local brick and mortar ---- Wine House.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 142
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Chenin Blanc . let's talk. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI