CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Costco ( Kirkland) wines ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 6:15:17 PM   
Eduardo787

So went to Costco and bought a prime Tomahawk ribeye to have as lunch today. Went to the wine section and saw a guy buying about 20+ bottles of "Kirkland Bordeaux Superieur 2019 " wine ( red). I have seen many times Kirkland wines but I have never bought them and if buying cheap wine I always decide to buy other brands, not the generic Kirkland. So today I took the bite and bought a bottle for the laughable price of $7. I decided to open it and I emptied the whole bottle during the course of preparing and eating the 3-pound tomahawk. To be honest, it was a very nice bottle of wine that could rival wines in the $15-$20 range without any problem. For me it was a 87 pointer and for everyday drinking it was excellent.

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with other Kirkland wines as they do offer Oakville, Napa, Mendoza , chianti, options as well.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 6:47:14 PM   
JohnWino

I tried that wine and wasn't impressed. Costco has some decent offerings even into the high end, but beware the low end. Any wine that says SUCKLING 92 rating that sells for $5, is not going to turn out well. I think it is a general rule that you drink a bottle before you buy a case.

One thing that annoys me about Costco is that they have dozens of Bordeaux, Napa CS, several Burgundy, lots of Chardonnay, rose, and champagne, but they never stock more than one Beaujolais, if at all.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 6:52:17 PM   
WineGuyCO

I use these wines in Beef Bourguinon

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 3
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 7:13:39 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 4
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 7:39:20 PM   
peeks13

I think the cutoff is $7 for the decent Kirkland reds. Currently, the malbec at $7, the CdR Villages at $7.49, Carneros pinot at $10 are solid buys. You'll definitely have to decant the CdR and malbec to let it get some air and put on weight. I would pass on the Chianti, Toscana IGT and Rioja as I found them quite thin and watery and unexciting.

The Napa cabs/red blends/meritages can be excellent for the price but as JohnWino says buy one and if you like go back and load up as there are some misses in this category. Keep an eye out for the seasonal Barolo/Brunello/Gigondas under Kirkland label as they are great QPR, all sub $20.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 5
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 8:21:27 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnWino

I think it is a general rule that you drink a bottle before you buy a case.

+1
Some really good stuff (CdP, NZ Sauvignon blanc, Chablis), some crap (most of the Napa Stuff)…..but it varies by vintage

(in reply to JohnWino)
Post #: 6
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 10:20:21 PM   
hadukla

Fred is applauding from his grave at this post

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 7
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/2/2022 10:49:23 PM   
oskiwawa

Bacon, wine, bread, beef, paper plates …….. Costco products are always a fair and some times a good deal . Above average not outstanding. Obviously a generalization but in my experience that pretty much defines their strategy and brand.

(in reply to hadukla)
Post #: 8
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/3/2022 3:17:02 AM   
grafstrb

I find the following quite useful:
Barolo (for drinking)
Gigondas (for drinking and cooking)
CdR Villages (drinking/cooking)
Pinot Grigio (cooking)

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 9
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/3/2022 12:31:42 PM   
jmcmchi

I’ve just bought a Columbia Valley red wine made by Gilles Nicault for $16. A 2020, so presumably a distress sale of otherwise interesting fruit.

Worth a try

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 10
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/3/2022 6:08:48 PM   
Poppacork

Out of my 5 lowest rated wines in CellarTracker, 4 of them were Kirkland brand.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 11
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/4/2022 3:58:16 PM   
wdcwineguys

I never buy Costco wines, but on my last visit I decided to buy three bottles. Their Malbec for $7, Anderson Valley 2019 Cab $10, and a Rioja for $6.
I opened the Malbec. For the price it’s a decent wine. I gave it 87 points. It looked, smelled and tasted like Malbec.

I’ve had several people tell me good things about their champagnes.

It was a fun experiment to pick some up.

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 12
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/4/2022 4:27:32 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poppacork

Out of my 5 lowest rated wines in CellarTracker, 4 of them were Kirkland brand.

I pretty much agree, although the CdR Villages is usually a quaffable cooking wine.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 13
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/4/2022 7:58:23 PM   
daviladc

A friend of mine manages the wine section at our local Costco. He was also a wine maker before he retired to Myrtle Beach.

He loves the Kirkland wines but states they are very vintage dependant. This is because the source winery can vary year on year.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 14
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/5/2022 9:54:46 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

I think the cutoff is $7 for the decent Kirkland reds. Currently, the malbec at $7, the CdR Villages at $7.49, Carneros pinot at $10 are solid buys. You'll definitely have to decant the CdR and malbec to let it get some air and put on weight. I would pass on the Chianti, Toscana IGT and Rioja as I found them quite thin and watery and unexciting.

But beware. Costco often buys their bulk juice from more than one source within the same vintage. The malbec you liked in Illinois isn't neccessarily the same one someone hated in Seattle.

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 15
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/5/2022 10:17:29 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche
quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Hey, I actually did that recently with their Washington Cab, and the dish was still delicious. The wine itself was fine to drink, and I would not hesitate to serve it to non-wino friends or serve it blind to wino friends. 😀

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 16
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/5/2022 10:40:06 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Hey, I actually did that recently with their Washington Cab, and the dish was still delicious. The wine itself was fine to drink, and I would not hesitate to serve it to non-wino friends or serve it blind to wino friends. 😀

Can't speak for the current vintage but the Washington Cab has for years been de-classified Long Shadows cabernet and very, very good.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 17
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/5/2022 10:52:58 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Can't speak for the current vintage but the Washington Cab has for years been de-classified Long Shadows cabernet and very, very good.

It was $9! No brainer when I was looking at $15-$20 options!

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 18
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/5/2022 10:56:56 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

But beware. Costco often buys their bulk juice from more than one source within the same vintage. The malbec you liked in Illinois isn't neccessarily the same one someone hated in Seattle.

This makes sense, and actually follows pattern I know from some other Costco goods. Their US stores are broken down into regions, and vendor may have a contracts to supply X number of regions, sometimes all including export, but more commonly I think based on geography to optimize supply chain costs.

It's also not surprising that their buyers buy bulk wines that get bottled and branded Kirkland. One thing I wonder is if there are any markings, lot numbers, etc.. that might differentiate for the "same" wine?

I've never tried their wines, but have tried a few spirits and beer. Those products are also hit or miss on quality imo, but don't know how that may differ by region.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 19
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/5/2022 11:51:27 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

quote:

This makes sense, and actually follows pattern I know from some other Costco goods. Their US stores are broken down into regions, and vendor may have a contracts to supply X number of regions, sometimes all including export, but more commonly I think based on geography to optimize supply chain costs.

It's also not surprising that their buyers buy bulk wines that get bottled and branded Kirkland. One thing I wonder is if there are any markings, lot numbers, etc.. that might differentiate for the "same" wine?

I've never tried their wines, but have tried a few spirits and beer. Those products are also hit or miss on quality imo, but don't know how that may differ by region.

The two current Columbia Valley reds are shown as being bottled by different winemakers.
The French bottlings had the same barcodes in the US and UK, for what it’s worth

Post #: 20
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/5/2022 2:54:25 PM   
Jenise

quote:

One thing I wonder is if there are any markings, lot numbers, etc.. that might differentiate for the "same" wine?

I know there can be different labels. From up here in WA I recommended a vintage of Argentina Malbec to a friend looking for a party quaffer in Los Angeles. They bought the wine; I flew down. Was horrified to show up and find same vintage/wine/cost but with a different label design, and it was awful.

Post #: 21
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/15/2022 5:57:48 PM   
BenG

Just opened a Kirkland Gigondas (2019), that was left behind for a few months. Awesome value! Looking forward to when the next vintage comes out - they normally sell out within 3-4 weeks.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 22
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/15/2022 5:59:48 PM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

The Napa cabs/red blends/meritages can be excellent for the price but as JohnWino says buy one and if you like go back and load up as there are some misses in this category. Keep an eye out for the seasonal Barolo/Brunello/Gigondas under Kirkland label as they are great QPR, all sub $20.

Very impressed with the Gigondas and enjoyed the Barolo so far. Will have to look out for the Brunello. Thanks for the tip.

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 23
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/23/2022 3:33:48 PM   
BenG

… and Brunello 2017 is now available

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 24
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/24/2022 11:11:34 AM   
skifree

There was a very funny article in the Seattle Times yesterday about a TikTok thread called "Can you Kirkland?". Some guys in a band in LA have gotten 5.7 million views (!) by seeing if name brand alcohol can stand up to the Kirkland equivalent, they pound down the booze as a comparison and decide if the name brand can stand up to the Kirkland equivalent.

I know, the fact that I read about this instead of finding it on TikTok puts me in the "digital dinosaur" category.

Also, I will say that the Kirkland XO cognac is more than acceptable.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 25
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/24/2022 1:29:12 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

I know, the fact that I read about this instead of finding it on TikTok puts me in the "digital dinosaur" category.

Also, I will say that the Kirkland XO cognac is more than acceptable.

+1

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 26
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/24/2022 5:04:27 PM   
mqvn

If we're going to go into liquor, I am a fan of the Kirkland XO cognac *and* the Islay Single Malt Scotch.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 27
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/26/2022 11:53:35 AM   
bretrooks

I haven't gone through a lot of the Kirkland wines, but the ones I've seen and tried which have been good have mostly been Rhone reds and occasionally the Ti Point SB (although that's not really a go-to style for me). One vintage of the Rioja was decent, but the others I've tried have disappointed, even at <$10.

That said, there's a 2019 Kirkland Saint-Julien out there ($17.99 at the SLO store) which is quite decent for the price. It's certainly the best Kirkland-branded wine I've tried, myself.

< Message edited by bretrooks -- 11/11/2023 9:51:16 AM >

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to mqvn)
Post #: 28
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 10/31/2022 3:56:49 PM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenG

… and Brunello 2017 is now available

Reverese Wine Snob tells me that this is the same producer as the 2016 - Gianni Maccari, after they changed from 2015 with Fattoria dei Barbi. The price is the same as 2016 - $19.99 (down from 2015 - $26.99) and the number of bottles increased significantly.

I am very unfamiliar with Brunello di Montalcino but this one reminds me quite a bit of a Langhe Nebbiolo (different grape, I know) - acid, savoriness, light colour and big but elegant flavor. I'd be curious to know if you Brunello fans out there think it shows enough to give someone the feel for how Brunello should taste.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 29
RE: Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? - 11/5/2022 10:51:55 AM   
LCHammer

I’m envious of you downing a 3 pound tomahawk for lunch.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Costco ( Kirkland) wines ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI