CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Clos de los Siete / Monteviejo / Val de Flores / etc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Clos de los Siete / Monteviejo / Val de Flores / etc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Clos de los Siete / Monteviejo / Val de Flores / etc - 11/27/2005 1:55:29 PM   
andrew

(The original information on these wineries is preserved below the line for historical purposes.)

Clos de la Siete refers to a batch of operations in Argentina. The only wine that explicitly carries this name on the label is "Clos de la Siete." This is entered in Cellartracker as Clos de la Siete (Michel Rolland) Clos de la Siete.

Searching for 'clos de la siete' will return several other wines that are part of the grouping but independent. Each has several wines.

Cuvelier de los Andes
Monteviejo (including the Lindaflor label)
Diamandes

Michel Rolland also produces a couple of other labels from this area and these also have Clos de la Siete as a hidden search term as they are explicitly listed within Clos de la Siete's information.

Val de Flores
Miraflora

Correcting below:

Flecha de los Andes is an exisiting winery (part of Domaines Rothschild) but is not part of Clos de la Siete.

Herbaflor, Mariflor and Los Dassos appear to have never reached the stage of production.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 6+ months I have been working for Eric, this has to be the most confusing and inconsistent set of nomenclature I have encountered.  If you are in the posession of any wines that mention "Clos de los Siete" anywhere (front or back label) , please read the following. If there is any confusion or question, please contact Eric or myself before creating a new wine in Cellartracker. Here goes ...

In 1998, Darth Rolland brought the Dark Side of the Force to Argentina in a big way. With six other compatriots, he created Clos de los Siete (Enclosure of the Seven). An entirely new vineyard was created de novo near Vista Flores in the Uco Valley of the Mendoza region of Argentina. The arrangement was that each of the partners (all notables in the French wine world) would be responsible for the creation of their own wines and labels from this enterprise as well as contribute to the joint wine to be branded with the Clos de los Siete name and to be make by Michel Rolland. The first vintage of this wine was 2002 and it was released with a very amenable price point (~15$) and critical praise. The other labels have then followed or will be following.

The biggest source of confusion is that there is no consistency to wine writers and merchants use of the nomenclature for these wines. In addition, Clos de los Siete has not been attached in a prominent or branded fashion to the other production wines.

Clos de los Siete is the most widely available and known wine. It is a blend based on Malbec and was first produced in 2002. In Cellartracker, the wine's producer is listed as "Clos de los Siete (Michel Rolland)" to reflect the wine's label. The 2003 vintage here

Lindaflor was the first off the blocks to produce wines under its own name. None of the front labels I have seen mention Clos de los Siete. There are four wines in Cellartracker. The producer is listed as "Lindaflor (Clos de los Siete)." NB - Many sources will list Lindaflor wine as being produced by the Bodega Monteviejo. This is not quite correct, as will be explained below.

Monteviejo is the name of the actual winery in which these wines have been produced while the Seven construct their own facilities. To make matters more confusing, the Monteviejo name pre-exists the production in the Clos de los Siete. Bodegas Monteviejo is the producer of record for a Malbec from half-century old vines in Vista Flores. Working with winery was the impetus for Rolland to discover the eventual site of the Clos. This wine has now become Val de Flores, made by Rolland (see below). Wines emanating from Clos de los Siete have the producer designated as "Monteviejo (Clos de los Siete)." Tiago is the most prominent.

Cuvelier de los Andes and Flecha de los Andes are two more producers in the Seven. They are designated in Cellartracker as "Cuvelier de los Andes (Clos de los Siete)" and "Flecha de los Andes (Clos de los Siete)".

Altamira is also the name of a wine from Achaval-Ferrer. This is NOT the same wine. It is named in CT as "Altamira (Clos de los Siete)."

Altaflor, Mariflor, Herbaflor and Los Dassos are the final names attached to this project. (Yes, I am well aware that that makes eight total.) As of 11/2005, none of these wines have been entered into Cellartracker nor have there been reviews. When these wines are more than vaporware, they should be entered into Cellartracker like the preceding : NNNNN (Clos de los Siete).

Val de Flores is a seperate wine, though it is vinified at/by Monteviejo. From old Malbec vines, it used to be Bodegas Monteviejo Malbec. It is now named and listed in Cellartracker as Val de Flores Malbec. This wine is not part of the Clos de los Siete project, though it gets lumped with it by some sources.

Hopefully we can maintain this arrangement as the future wines are released and the operation produces at full capacity. If there are any questions or concerns, please let me know.

A.

< Message edited by andrew -- 3/8/2013 10:27:58 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Clos de los Siete / Monteviejo / Val de Flores / etc - 4/5/2012 4:09:50 PM   
PAMartin

To add to the confusion I have just purchased a 2011 Malbec from Sierra los Andes, Mendoza, Argentina (UPC 7798151450012). The bottle has been re labeled. The original label underneath is "Siete Soles", Mendoza (UPC 7798151450371).

(in reply to andrew)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Clos de los Siete / Monteviejo / Val de Flores / etc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI