CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 10/27/2023 2:56:27 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Hello Again One and All! NOTE: New HEAD ELF, just like one of the Old Elves! ChrisinCowiche will be taking the lead this year, while crispino gets a break unless it gets too big for my pea brain.

So here we go!

Perhaps you, like me, have felt that certain tingling sense of late, that inexpressible quality that seems to float in the very air that surrounds you, and you just know: something’s missing. And that thing is Secret Santa. But no more. Time for Secret Santa 2023!

IMPORTANT DATES AND INFO

Registration Deadline: Friday, 11/17/23

Shipping Deadline: Monday, 12/4/23

Reveal Day: Saturday, 12/16/23

If you’re new to Secret Santa this year, welcome! Please make sure you read everything in this post.

If you’re already familiar with the game, the highlights:
- The registration form is below in Section 1 (appropriately titled “Register For Secret Santa”).
- Bottle cost is $50.00, BEFORE any taxes and shipping.
- When you ship, send a PM to your Head Elf with the appropriate info - ESPECIALLY THE TRACKING NUMBER (see Section 3.5).
- When you receive your own shipment from your SS, send your Head Elf a PM to let them know (Section 3.6).
- Once the Reveal Day threads open, if someone guesses you as their SS, please post whether or not they’re right (Section 4.3).

You can skim the rest.
Enjoy, and let the Games begin!

INTRO: WHAT IS SECRET SANTA?

Secret Santa (SS) is a round-robin wine exchange. Legends tell us that the ritual was started long ago, circa 2009, by Jedi Master Hollowine. The way it works is this: you are given a name from a list of participants, and you buy that person a bottle of wine valued at 50 dollars (before taxes, shipping, etc.). While you are doing this, someone else on the list sends you a bottle, and someone else sends that person a bottle, and so on. Everyone opens their package on a prearranged date (the Reveal Day) in early December. A new forum thread is started on Reveal Day, and everyone posts what they received. Then you try and guess who your Santa is. Hilarity ensues, many thanks are exchanged, and everyone goes home happy. In short, it’s a great way to meet new people on the forum, and to give (and get) a tasty bottle to enjoy.

THE SECRET SANTA PROCESS:
Following are the nitty-gritty details. Again, if you are new to the game or need/want a refresher, please read everything.

1. REGISTER FOR SECRET SANTA
To register for SS, copy and paste the following registration form into a PM, fill it out, and send the PM to ChrisinCowiche. The deadline for submissions is Friday 11/17/23.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
REGISTRATION FORM - return to ChrisinCowiche by Friday 11/17/23
Note: Items 1-6 must be filled out in order for your form to be accepted.
1. Your exact CellarTracker user name (not your forum user name):
2. Your real name:
3. Is your CT Cellar set to Public or Private?
4. Your preferred SHIP TO address:
5. Is the above address a residence or business address?
6. A contact phone number (most carriers require this, therefore you must provide one):
7. Any dates on which you cannot receive your wine (e.g., because you are on vacation, out of town on business, etc.):
8. Any other pertinent information (e.g., type(s) of wine you would prefer or prefer not to receive, any carrier restrictions, special instructions, etc.):
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Pro Tip! Unless you really don’t care what kind of wine you’re getting (which is fine), include a little preference info in #8. Most people find it helpful.
I will start a list of SS participants in the second post of this thread. If you see your name on the list, it means I have all your info and you are registered. If your name’s not on the list, you’re not registered. If you think you should be registered but don’t see your name, it’s your responsibility to PM me and follow up.

2. PICK A WINE FOR YOUR RECIPIENT

2.1 Receive Your Recipient’s Name and Info
Once registration closes, I will put all the names into the proverbial hat and we will assign everyone a recipient. The matchups will be done randomly, although there may be some minor re-drawing of names to avoid previous matchups. There will be no considerations given to geography; you might wind up with someone in the same city, or it could be someone on the opposite coast!
The Head Elves will distribute the names and info of recipients to everyone by Monday 11/20/23. Whoever you get your info from, that’s your Head Elf! That will be your point of contact throughout the rest of the event. If you don’t get your info from either of us by Monday 11/20, PM ChrisinCowiche with questions or concerns.

2.2 Do A Little Research
For many people, this is one of their favorite parts! When you receive your recipient’s name and info, it’s time to start sleuthing. It’s often helpful to browse your recipient’s cellar contents, tasting notes, and/or forum posts to get an idea of their likes/dislikes. Ultimately, this step is not strictly necessary – some people don’t have oodles of time to spend perusing someone else’s giant cellar – but if you can put at least some time into it, it’s sure to be appreciated by your recipient. When researching a wine, be sure to take into account any information your recipient has provided in their registration form, particularly about wine likes/dislikes, etc.
Some people have their cellars marked as “Private,” which means that you won’t be able to view their inventory. If this is the case, send your Head Elf a PM to let them know. Your Head Elf will PM your recipient and ask him or her to make “CT Santa” a CT Friend. If your recipient agrees, then your Head Elf will give you the login information for CT Santa. You can then log in to CT as CT Santa and view your recipient’s cellar.
Pro Tip! It’s always a nice touch to try and include some sort of note/message in the package explaining why you picked the wine you did. If you are shipping the wine yourself, this is easily done; if you use a retailer, you can ask them to include a message for you. Most are quite accommodating. Sometimes people will also include a subtle clue or hint as to their true identity – or even, if they are feeling particularly dastardly, a piece of misinformation – in the missive as well. Any and all are fair game.

2.3 Obtain The Wine
You can either buy a bottle or give your recipient a bottle from your own cellar. In either case, the value of the wine should be at least $50.00, before taxes and before any shipping costs. The value can be more but should not be less. Sending someone multiple, cheaper bottles is not “against the rules,” per se, but generally people opt to send one $50 bottle as opposed to two $25 bottles. Sometimes people will send something with a cool backstory, will include a homemade liqueur, etc. This is definitely fine and Christmasy and warm and fuzzy. Feel free to be creative! Whatever you decide to do, please just bear in mind the general value rule of $50.00 so that it’s fair for everyone.
Pro Tip! Often, you can order a wine from a retailer who is local to your recipient. This can cut down on your shipping costs (and is also an effective way to conceal your identity).

3. SHIP THE WINE TO YOUR RECIPIENT (and receive a shipment of your own!)

3.1 Make Your Shipping Arrangements
Choose a shipping carrier to send the wine on your behalf. If you are shipping through a retailer, ask which shipper they’re using. When making shipping arrangements, please be mindful of any unavailability dates, shipping restrictions, or any other pertinent information specified by your recipient on their registration form. Then, stick that puppy in the mail!

3.2 Ship Before The Deadline
The shipping deadline is Monday 12/1/23. Seriously people, you must have your package shipped by this date. This should ensure that everyone gets their package by Reveal Day. That gives you two weeks between the assignment of recipients and the shipping deadline. So no excuses! Get those happy packages sent!

3.3 It’s SECRET Santa, Remember?
To the extent that you can, conceal your identity on the shipping label and inside the package. For a lot of people, the guessing game part of the event is the most fun, so keep your real identity a secret! Again, ordering from a local retailer can often accomplish this. Just make sure they don’t include your name on any receipts or shipping manifests.
Having said that... if your package does end up being totally and completely anonymous, we encourage you to include some sort of hint so that people don’t have to guess totally blindly.

Pro Tip! People get devious with this. It is not uncommon for people to give (or even ship) their package to a friend, relative, or even another CT member and potentially even another SS participant, and have that person ship it to the recipient. Very sly. In any case, again, do whatever you can to keep it a truly Secret Santa – but remember to be kind with the hints if necessary when it comes time for the guessing.

3.4 Get A Tracking Number
It bears repeating, so I will. Get a tracking number. This is the only way to find out what happened if something goes wrong and someone doesn’t receive their wine. It’s very important that you not ship without a tracking number, so please, once again, make sure to get a tracking number.

3.5 PM Your Head Elf With Your Shipping Info
Once you have shipped your wine, send your Head Elf a PM with the following information:
1. The name and vintage of the wine you’re sending
2. The carrier you’re using
3. The tracking number for the package
4. The date you shipped the package
Posting in the forums that you’ve shipped something doesn’t count. There are a lot of people participating in this thing and the forum posts move quickly. There’s no guarantee that your Head Elf will see that you shipped something, and in any case we need your shipping info. So you have to send your Head Elf a PM.
We will compile all the wines that people have sent into a Secret Santa 2023 cellar on CT.

3.6 Receive Your Own Package
When you get your own delivery from your Secret Santa, do not open it. Wait! Not yet! Instead, send your Head Elf a PM letting him know that you got your package and the date it arrived. Then, stare longingly at that box for days on end, stretching on interminably, even more interminably than this post, until at last Reveal Day comes.

4. REVEAL DAY AND THE GUESSING GAME

4.1 Reveal Day
Unless there are extenuating circumstances that force us to move the date, Reveal Day will be Saturday 12/16/23. We usually start at 12:00 noon EST (but no worries if you need to open later). When the appointed time comes, open your gift! Merry Christmas everyone!

4.2 The Reveal Day Threads
Assuming we have two groups of participants, on Reveal Day a new thread will be started for EACH group. The first post in each thread will list who’s in that group. We’re going to ask that you please, please, do your utmost to post only in your own group’s thread. There is a lot of posting traffic and the threads move very quickly. Feel free to follow the discussion in both threads, but we are asking that you exercise as much restraint as you can muster from hitting the “OK” button on that super-witty rejoinder you were just about to post in the other group’s thread.
When the Reveal Day threads open, you should post what wine you got and send out some thanks to your Secret Santa, whomever he or she may be. It’s by no means necessary that you drink your wine right away; however, if you do decide to drink your wine, feel free to post a tasting note in your thread too.
Then, it’s time to...

4.3 Guess Your Santa!
People will start trying to guess who gave them their wine. People will use shipping information, will try to analyze clues others have dropped, will look at other people’s cellars, will look at past years’ threads... whatever it takes, man. Whatever it takes. Sometimes a Santa will post a hint if they see their recipient struggling. You as a recipient may also ask for a hint, and hope that your Santa takes pity on you. In any case, as a common courtesy, if someone guesses you as their Santa, please post whether or not they’re right. It will help make the guessing game go a lot more smoothly. Also, if someone guesses you, please post the true answer (i.e., don’t lie to try and confuse them further).
Note: Some people really LOVE the guessing game part; others are more into this event just to give and get a new bottle of wine in a fun way, and don’t follow the guessing game antics much. Both approaches are welcome! But, please, at least check in on the threads periodically to provide hints, confirmations, denials, etc. if they’re being requested of you.

As guesses are made and people are identified, the Head Elves will update the initial posts in their respective threads with info on who’s been ID’ed.
When all the smoke clears, everyone will be a bottle of wine richer, and will hopefully have a nice story to attach to it!

CONCLUSION
So, that should just about cover it. If there are any questions, nuts and bolts issues, etc., feel free to PM ChrisinCowiche. I’m really looking forward to helping with this event again, and I hope everyone enjoys the continuation of this fun and unique tradition. Above all, have a good time with it, and all the best to everyone!
- Chris (inCowiche)

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 11/29/2023 9:21:59 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173
Post #: 1
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 10/27/2023 2:58:25 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Post # 2 - List of Participants.

1. ChrisinCowiche
2. crispino
3. dad300
4. oskiwawa
5. Ralphs Bar
6. markandsusanw
7. Hollowine
8. yogi8938
9. Wine Gopher
10. Tpety
11. ern1
12. Claymonster
13. Rossodio
14. daviladc
15. wadcorp
16. recotte
17. vinopkm
18. Endodr
19. River Rat
20. Slye
21. jrockman
22. arthrovine
23. jlop
24. mgriffith

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 11/19/2023 4:56:55 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 2
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 10/27/2023 3:57:25 PM   
dad300

Just sent my info in.
This is soo much fun!

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

Post #: 3
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 10/28/2023 10:24:00 AM   
oskiwawa

I am in. Info on the way

(in reply to dad300)
Post #: 4
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 10/29/2023 1:21:31 PM   
markandsusanw

In and thanks to Chris for picking up the pointed head elf cap, always look forward to this exchange to kick off the holiday season.

Ho, ho, ho!

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 5
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 10/30/2023 1:48:02 PM   
yogi8938

In again. It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Post #: 6
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 10/31/2023 12:39:24 PM   
Tpety

Looks like it's been nine years since I joined the SS program- Count me back in! I will send info over.

(in reply to yogi8938)
Post #: 7
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/1/2023 6:15:15 PM   
daviladc

Chris,

I love this event! Count me in!

Sending info in the morning.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to Tpety)
Post #: 8
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/1/2023 6:40:44 PM   
ern1

That time of year again! I will be in again as well.

Chris

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 9
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/3/2023 6:21:09 AM   
Claymonster

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm game. Registration PM incoming, Chris.

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 10
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/4/2023 9:32:51 AM   
Rossodio

In again! Hopefully I will not be the last to guess my SS again and have to wear the dunce elf hat next year...

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

(in reply to Claymonster)
Post #: 11
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/4/2023 3:06:27 PM   
wadcorp

Just added my info as well.

Let the guessing begin!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to dad300)
Post #: 12
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/5/2023 7:49:27 PM   
recotte

I'm in!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 13
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/5/2023 8:07:33 PM   
Slye

I am in!!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 14
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/6/2023 8:10:52 AM   
crispino

In and info sent. Many thanks to Chris for being able to take the sleigh reins this year, I appreciate it!

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 15
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/7/2023 9:05:15 PM   
vinopkm

In, I have to keep the tradition alive with Scott.

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 16
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/12/2023 10:28:16 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Bump! good group shaping up, I'll sort and assign Santa's this time next Saturday, then we'll be off to the races! Ho Ho Ho!

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 17
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/14/2023 6:44:57 PM   
Endodr

I missed last year
This year I’m in!
Thanks Chris

Post #: 18
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/15/2023 6:15:13 PM   
jrockman

Slow to respond this year, but in again!

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 19
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/15/2023 8:14:41 PM   
arthrovine

I’m in!

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 20
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/18/2023 1:13:41 PM   
jlop

Sounds like a ton of fun!

(in reply to arthrovine)
Post #: 21
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/19/2023 8:38:39 AM   
mgriffith

Well, feck!

"Missed it by *that* much!" - Maxwell Smart

Meant to check-in before now, but the chaos around here got in the way. Perhaps next year.

(in reply to jlop)
Post #: 22
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/19/2023 4:57:52 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Final list with a couple of Late Bloomers. Matches have been sent via PM. Next step is to pick a wine and get it shipped/ordered/otherwise delivered to the person named in the PM you just received. I'll have to refresh myself on the CT Santa trick for private cellars. Look for those instructions soon if you have a private cellar or your recipient does.

If you have any other questions give me a holler.

quote:

1. ChrisinCowiche
2. crispino
3. dad300
4. oskiwawa
5. Ralphs Bar
6. markandsusanw
7. Hollowine
8. yogi8938
9. Wine Gopher
10. Tpety
11. ern1
12. Claymonster
13. Rossodio
14. daviladc
15. wadcorp
16. recotte
17. vinopkm
18. Endodr
19. River Rat
20. Slye
21. jrockman
22. arthrovine
23. jlop
24. mgriffith

Cheers,
CiC

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 11/21/2023 10:26:57 AM >

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 23
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/20/2023 4:31:32 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Santa, we have lift off. If you have not yet shipped your wine, you are late.

Post #: 24
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/22/2023 6:30:06 AM   
ern1

I need to turnoff all these great college basketball games and focus on the task at hand…..finding an acceptable bottle of wine for my recipient!

Post #: 25
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/22/2023 7:09:48 AM   
crispino

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche
Santa, we have lift off. If you have not yet shipped your wine, you are late.

He really cracks the whip, this guy.

CT Secret Santa Compendium
CT Santa Profile

Post #: 26
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/22/2023 7:28:14 AM   
jcosindc

Hey, folks!! I'll be missing this year's SS. Didn't think it'd be right to sign up when I know I'll be out of the country from just after Thanksgiving until right before Christmas. I will miss the shenanigans and know that everyone will have a good time with SS.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!

Cos

(in reply to crispino)
Post #: 27
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/22/2023 10:20:13 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: ern1

I need to turnoff all these great college basketball games and focus on the task at hand…..finding an acceptable bottle of wine for my recipient!

Meh. That sounds like work. I’m sending a bottle of Boone’s and calling it a day.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 28
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/25/2023 1:17:50 PM   
oskiwawa

Wine selected. Maybe shipped….. Maybe not

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 29
RE: Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! - 11/25/2023 5:03:37 PM   
River Rat

After pouring over my recipients cellar, notes and forum posts I hope that, like Indiana Jones, I have “Chosen Wisely.” I guess I’ll find out in 3 weeks.

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Secret Santa 2023 - Sign Up HERE!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI