CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Shipping policies hurting wineries do business

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Shipping policies hurting wineries do business Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/10/2023 2:26:21 PM   
Eduardo787

After a few years of not ordering a wine that I love I received an email with an offer that I couldnt resist as the wines were offered with a good discount that made them enough attractive to buy from the again ( price from this winery went up 100% in from 2012 vintage to 2021 vintage). The only drawback was that they said that they would start shipping early spring. All of us that live in places that are hot as hell know that even in February we can have temps in the upper 90s ( this year mid february in Monterrey and many places in Texas got almost to 100f for several days). I am not willing to spend double their shipping for a 2nd day air as the wines do not deserve royalty treatment. So, I wrote to them asking if the wines could be shipped sooner and of course the answer was no because of how they are organized...whatever.

So, my rant here is that with global warming and with places that hit very hot temperatures VERY early into the year it would be wise for them to reorganize and start shipping sooner. All of you CTers that live in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, etc know that our shipping window ends with the month of March if we want to play it safe or with a LOT of luck maybe even count March, but we know that mid November to mid February is when we can sleep in peace if our wine is shipped ground. My only suggestion here would be to say to wineries that they could be losing some business if they are shipping late, yes, it might be a small loss, but every dollar counts.

My order albeit not incredibly lucrative was going to be of almost $1,500 but I decided to be zero because they could not send wine soon enough.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/10/2023 2:56:26 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

You could have them shipped to my house. I'll keep them "safe" until you visit the PacNW again or until we make it to Monterrey.

I do get the gripe though, wineries should be able to cater to any customer need for shipping a semi-fragile product. Other than Turley from California, all of my direct purchases come from local wineries/vendor so shipments are easily timed, or I get delivery or pick-ups.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/10/2023 3:01:40 PM   
KPB

Eduardo, you just ship to one of the many “store, pack and reshipping” companies anywhere in California. They collect bottles for you, hold them in climate controlled storage, then arrange to ship cases at your request. For this you pay a small fee.

For you, they could accumulate 25 cases. Then you talk your friend into flying to Napa, load them into his cargo area, perhaps enjoy a day of visits and tastings and a three star dinner, and fly back. Worst case you then run into a customs inspector at the private airport in Mexico… but that can be solved with a handful of twenty dollar bills and a bottle of wine…

< Message edited by KPB -- 11/10/2023 3:04:07 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/10/2023 4:28:41 PM   
Eduardo787

For example right now I have a shippment of wine in transit, I ordered the shippement to be sent on a Monday so it could arrive on Friday. Well, it didnt made it and I will recieve it now on Monday. Right now temps are perfect and there is no danger whatsoever, but around here weather can be perfect for those 4 or 5 days while the wine is in transit but then can be dangerous. Right now TX is the mid 50s but next week by Thursday or Friday its again in the mid 80s. Imagine a shippment inside a closed truck in the sun for the entire weekend in 80s temps while inside the truck it can reach much higher temps. Thats our problem with shippments in March or April and thats why we only have basically December till February for peace of mind. While 2nd day air might be a great solution for expensive wines, I would never pay $100 for shipping a case of a $30 bottle of wine.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 4
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/10/2023 4:47:41 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

There are so many good wines out there that I would just pass and buy from somebody more willing to accommodate your shipping needs.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 5
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/11/2023 6:37:29 PM   
WineGuyCO

I have been eliminating buying from retailers based on increased shipping costs. Also those that charge me tax. I’m only buying from retailers with low prices, no tax and low shipping costs.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 6
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/14/2023 11:40:33 AM   
BenNoir

Shipping costs can impact supplier choices.

Some winery direct clubs want to ship 3 bottles 4 times a year.
Their logic may be people want wine every once in awhile, or they just want to clear the warehouse quickly after bottling.
But I've seen shipping costs hit $13/bottle for these small packages, and if you're in a sales tax state like Washington, then you also pay sales tax on that shipping.

I have arranged custom once a year case deals with several producers resulting in lower per bottle shipping costs.
When I enter the cost of a bottle in Cellar Tracker, I enter the total cost of that bottle including shipping and tax.

"Water is for the Garden"
"Wine is for the Man"

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 7
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/14/2023 5:48:58 PM   
DoubleD1969

I just paid $10 ground shipping on a 3-bottle order from zachys warehouse just north of NYC. No brainier as the tolls alone would have been $16.

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 8
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 11/15/2023 9:25:30 AM   
WineGuyCO

I buy from B-21 a lot because the package gets to CO in 3 days and it’s $12 shipping for 6 bottles.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 9
RE: Shipping policies hurting wineries do business - 12/13/2023 7:49:51 AM   
annerk

I have all shipments held outside of the second week of December through mid-March. It's a short shipping window, but it's the only time I can be sure that it's not going to be about 80-ish.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Shipping policies hurting wineries do business Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI