CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/11/2023 2:30:00 PM   
grizzlymarmot

One issue is that the wine business is not in the business of increasing the education of the consumer. Is it the ignorant consumer who comes to your house with a nice bottle of Burgundy that is actually a Beaujolais? How many people really know that there is a difference between St Emilion Grand Cru and St Emilion Grand Cru Classe - or maybe the big joke is on people who think there is a difference. New World - Shiraz or Syrah, I think that the wine maker can decide.

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 31
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/11/2023 4:45:43 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

At a wedding last night, at the bar they had one red (Bordeaux) and one white (Burgundy). I said to the bartender, "I'll have the Montrachet." She said, "which one?" I said, "the Burgundy. The white Burgundy." She said, "all we have for whites is chardonnay."

I thought to myself, that was a fun exchange. I now have another entry for my thread.

I find that bartenders typically know their mixed drinks and beer.....but know nothing about wines. Of course it depends on your establishment.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 32
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/11/2023 4:50:30 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

At a wedding last night, at the bar they had one red (Bordeaux) and one white (Burgundy). I said to the bartender, "I'll have the Montrachet." She said, "which one?" I said, "the Burgundy. The white Burgundy." She said, "all we have for whites is chardonnay."

I thought to myself, that was a fun exchange. I now have another entry for my thread.

I find that bartenders typically know their mixed drinks and beer.....but know nothing about wines. Of course it depends on your establishment.

And if this was a catered event, the "bartender" was probably a pourer, not an actual mixologist, and likely knows less about wine than the typical bartender.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 33
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/11/2023 8:31:55 PM   
Sourdough

So what does one conclude from “Blanc de Noir”?

The Chevalier de Blanc is a white is a classic!

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 34
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/13/2023 6:42:37 AM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: River Rat

At a large tasting event in Napa at Greystone, I said to the pourer “This wine is corked”
Her reply, “I know, I pulled the cork myself”
Me, “No, it’s flawed”
Her, “Everyone else seems to like it.”

I attend an event every year where a man who knows almost nothing about wine always tries to "educate" the arm candy he brings along. He's always wrong. One year I suggested he try the special wine being kept behind the pouring table. It was kept there as it was hideously corked. He got a glass of it and told me it was fantastic wine, thanks for the tip.

You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 35
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/17/2023 7:49:41 AM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: River Rat

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

RISE-ling from Germany
ree-DELL glasses
People who ask if I'm going to open a Burgundy (after we finish a Puligny-Montrachet)
Palette (and Palet)
Varietal

And Pallet
And burgundy refers to the color, Gallo has had it for decades.

What is strange to me is an otherwise well-written note will still have such a basic error. This one just came up on my home page:

Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 82 pts because it checks some of the elegant chardonnay boxes.

Appearance: Bright pale lemon color without haziness.

Nose: Came off as a canned dry English Apple cider, with its metallic self-evident. A backtone of wet sock funk infused comingled with fresh pie crust with Bartlett Pairs.

Palette: Palatte was less offensive than initial nose. Doesnt taste corked (good given its a synthetic cork...). Orchard and citrus fruit predominate.

Showed a touch of Pétillant/effervescence plus volatile acidity (VA).

Conclusion: I suspect secondary fermentation occurred in the bottle.

82 pt or score withheld

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 36
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/18/2023 2:44:57 AM   
Paul852

quote:

ORIGINAL: grizzlymarmot
Is it the ignorant consumer who comes to your house with a nice bottle of Burgundy that is actually a Beaujolais?

Or perhaps one who concurred with CellarTracker, where Beaujolais is categorised as a sub-region of Burgundy?

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 37
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/18/2023 8:37:36 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852
quote:

Is it the ignorant consumer who comes to your house with a nice bottle of Burgundy that is actually a Beaujolais?

Or perhaps one who concurred with CellarTracker, where Beaujolais is categorised as a sub-region of Burgundy?

The geographic delimitation of AOC Bourgogne Passe-Touts-Grains includes the Beaujolais region. It's an option for what a Beaujolais grower can do with grapes they want to declassify or sell, though it would have to be blended with some pinot noir. I doubt it happens much.

In the past the Burgundy wine region was clear that it included Beaujolais. You routinely see it on maps of the Burgundy wine region, such as the one in the Wikipedia article on Burgundy wine.. Villefranche-sur-Saone traditionally marks the southern end of Burgundy. But today the official website of the Burgundy wine region makes no mention of Beaujolais, nor shows it on its maps. It makes sense to market them separately.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 38
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/18/2023 9:19:33 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

quote:

quote:

The geographic delimitation of AOC Bourgogne Passe-Touts-Grains includes the Beaujolais region. It's an option for what a Beaujolais grower can do with grapes they want to declassify or sell, though it would have to be blended with some pinot noir. I doubt it happens much.

In the past the Burgundy wine region was clear that it included Beaujolais. You routinely see it on maps of the Burgundy wine region, such as the one in the Wikipedia article on Burgundy wine.. Villefranche-sur-Saone traditionally marks the southern end of Burgundy. But today the official website of the Burgundy wine region makes no mention of Beaujolais, nor shows it on its maps. It makes sense to market them separately.

Apologies for encouraging the thread drift, but am I remembering correctly that there is a local wine that is a combination of pinot noir and gamay? Traditionally for the vineyard workers if I remember. But I may be making all of this up!

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 39
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/18/2023 9:32:39 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

quote:

quote:

Apologies for encouraging the thread drift, but am I remembering correctly that there is a local wine that is a combination of pinot noir and gamay? Traditionally for the vineyard workers if I remember. But I may be making all of this up!

Yes, B passe-tout-grains.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 40
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/18/2023 9:41:48 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

quote:

Bourgogne Passe-Touts-Grains is a blend of those two grapes, with at least 15% gamay and at least 30% pinot noir. Can also include up to 15% of local white grapes, and can also be made as a rosé.

It's an AOC, which has a degree of prestige. It's not much seen on the export market. But the ones you do come across, at least here, tend to be from good producers and you wouldn't exactly call them cheap. I've never tasted one.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 41
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/18/2023 10:20:45 AM   
Slye

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bourgogne Passe-Touts-Grains is a blend of those two grapes, with at least 15% gamay and at least 30% pinot noir. Can also include up to 15% of local white grapes, and can also be made as a rosé.

It's an AOC, which has a degree of prestige. It's not much seen on the export market. But the ones you do come across, at least here, tend to be from good producers and you wouldn't exactly call them cheap. I've never tasted one.

Oh for those of you in Seattle, Le Caviste (a small wine bar in downtown Seattle that serves reasonably priced French wines) has had it before. That is where I first heard of and tasted it. I can't recall the producer however.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 42
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 12/18/2023 10:32:56 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh for those of you in Seattle, Le Caviste (a small wine bar in downtown Seattle that serves reasonably priced French wines) has had it before. That is where I first heard of and tasted it. I can't recall the producer however.

Probably Bouchard Ainé

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 43
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 1/1/2024 2:43:10 PM   
JaynPam

OK, my eye rolling question is "What is your favorite wine?"
I mean, so many factors go into what wine I am currently drinking: Who am I with (Is it someone worthy of a 10 year old bottle)? What am I eating? What time of day is it? What is the temperature outside (I tend to drink differently in the summer than the winter)? Is it a first or second bottle?
Sure, I have some "go to" wine, but I love all my children equally.

The statement that makes my eyes roll is some version of: "I love wine, but I only like Reds".
I mean really???? If you love wine, then you ought to have some white in your repertoire. Also, so sweet as well. I understand a preference, but not to the point of complete exclusion.

Post #: 44
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 1/1/2024 3:42:47 PM   
eyewino

quote:

ORIGINAL: JaynPam

The statement that makes my eyes roll is some version of: "I love wine, but I only like Reds".
I mean really???? If you love wine, then you ought to have some white in your repertoire. Also, so sweet as well. I understand a preference, but not to the point of complete exclusion.

When someone follows "what kind of wine do you like?" with a comment like "I only like big reds"...
What I hear in my head is "What kind of music do you like?" "Loud."

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to JaynPam)
Post #: 45
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 1/10/2024 2:17:48 PM   
GoodToGrape

At a business dinner a few years ago, there were probably 20 of us in a private room at a large table. A guy I had known and worked with for years had always been a bit of a blowhard know-it-all type, but he had recently gotten a minor promotion so he was in an especially "take charge" kind of mood. Trying to impress everyone and acting like quite the wine expert, he took the liberty of ordering wine for the group (not uncommon for this to be done in a business setting, usually with mid-level bottles of both whites and reds to satisfy everyone). Although the wine list was extensive and had some great choices at reasonable prices, his selection for the white was Kendal Jackson Chardonnay, and he began extolling the virtues of it because it was the "Vintner's Reserve". When it came to a red, he pointed to the wine list and requested 4 bottles of Pinot Noir which he shortened to just Pinot, you know...like a wine expert. But he pronounced it Piñot (Peen Yo) with a slight Spanish accent, and continued to pronounce it that way throughout the evening. Once or twice during the dinner, he further demonstrated his extensive wine knowledge by describing the famous California wine region of Napa and "Williams Sonoma".

< Message edited by GoodToGrape -- 1/10/2024 2:53:48 PM >

(in reply to eyewino)
Post #: 46
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 1/10/2024 2:50:04 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Funny, but everyone knows Oregon produces the best Peen Yo. https://www.harryanddavid.com/h/fruit-clubs/wine-clubs?

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 47
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 1/10/2024 3:42:10 PM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

Funny, but everyone knows Oregon produces the best Peen Yo. https://www.harryanddavid.com/h/fruit-clubs/wine-clubs?

Pairs well with piñon nuts.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 48
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 1/10/2024 3:48:14 PM   
Wine Grove

quote:

I mean, so many factors go into what wine I am currently drinking: Who am I with (Is it someone worthy of a 10 year old bottle)? What am I eating? What time of day is it? What is the temperature outside (I tend to drink differently in the summer than the winter)? Is it a first or second bottle?

I'm sorry but you just made me eye roll

(in reply to JaynPam)
Post #: 49
RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. - 1/10/2024 10:46:27 PM   
nwinther

quote:

I love that question!
Because it lets me go on a rant about the multitude of wines that are my favourites, while also getting to talk about how I rarely come across a wine that I dislike outright.

If I were pressed to answer in one sentence, I'd say "the one with alcohol".

But I find it to be a great conversation-starter.

Full disclosure: I love hearing myself talk.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to JaynPam)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: This is meant to be fun, albeit a bit catty. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI