CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Growth in wine theft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Growth in wine theft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Growth in wine theft - 12/8/2023 6:26:17 AM   
Echinosum

This article discusses the growth in theft of expensive wine, from high-end restaurants and merchants.

The second half of the article retreads some of the stories of wine fakery. At the end, it suggests that Kurniawan, now released from prison and deported to Indonesia, has got himself to Singapore, and is trying to attract the attention of wine drinkers there.
Post #: 1
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/8/2023 10:05:21 AM   
Claymonster

Thanks for sharing. Will read it this weekend.

RE: Kurniawan, I just listened to a WE podcast where they followed up on his whereabouts and dealings. Seems as if his blending/forgery skills are still in demand. Kind of like a parlor trick for people with money to pay for it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-153-where-is-wine-counterfeiter-rudy-kurniawan-now/id1168716155?i=1000634046889

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 2
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/8/2023 10:05:22 AM   
skifree

The article looked interesting but I could only read the first couple of paragraphs before I ran into a pay wall, fyi.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 3
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/9/2023 3:16:33 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

The article looked interesting but I could only read the first couple of paragraphs before I ran into a pay wall, fyi.

I didn't suffer a paywall and I'm not subscribed to anything. But I observe I was reading with a GB-tagged URL, which is what I have linked to.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 4
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/10/2023 7:29:04 AM   
DoubleD1969

I wonder if the vast majority of these thefts are inside jobs.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 5
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/10/2023 9:15:28 AM   
fingers

All I know is that destroying the evidence would be a blast!

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 6
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/11/2023 5:34:17 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Especially now that people can see almost real time values, critics wine scores and then go sell stuff online at auctions for good prices.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 7
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/13/2023 7:42:40 AM   
annerk

Because the thief received calls while he was in the act, I'm going out on a limb to say that he was operating for someone who was telling him exactly what to take, and where to find it. Someone who was likely intimately familiar with that room. Who knew how to avoid anything that would set off the alarm. Either an employee, owner, or customer who had spent a great deal of time there.

It reminds me of the French Laundry heist.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

Post #: 8
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/16/2023 9:52:12 PM   
hadukla

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Especially now that people can see almost real time values, critics wine scores and then go sell stuff online at auctions for good prices.

Auctions? or private buyers... I would hope auction houses are verifying provenance. Sure, verifying that the bottle of 1806 d'Yquem came from a restaurant that was robbed could qualify as provenance but would that house really risk that?

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/16/2023 11:00:05 PM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadukla
Auctions? or private buyers... I would hope auction houses are verifying provenance. Sure, verifying that the bottle of 1806 d'Yquem came from a restaurant that was robbed could qualify as provenance but would that house really risk that?

Auction houses have a pretty spotty record with verifying provenance, especially back in the days of Hardy and Rudy.

(in reply to hadukla)
Post #: 10
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/17/2023 12:07:17 AM   
Rich64N

I've seen articles in the past few weeks of New York City (NYC) wine storage places stealing wine to put into their retail upstairs https://nypost.com/2023/12/14/news/new-york-wine-crisis-1000-bottles-in-times-square-basement/ . Plus wine Ponzi schemes to the tune of $99M https://nypost.com/2023/12/16/metro/uk-man-arraigned-in-brooklyn-court-on-fine-wine-ponzi-scheme-feds/. As a reminder, one of the Koch brothers (I don't hate them, and he is now dead) started the major investigations into wine fraud over a dozen years ago and had the deep pockets to make a case.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 11
RE: Growth in wine theft - 12/17/2023 8:21:28 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rich64N
As a reminder, one of the Koch brothers (I don't hate them, and he is now dead) started the major investigations into wine fraud over a dozen years ago and had the deep pockets to make a case.

The Koch brother that started the investigation into wine fraud is Bill Koch and he is still alive. Even though he is part of the same Koch family, he is not one of the two brothers commonly referred to as the "Koch Brothers" in political circles (that would be Charles and David).

< Message edited by BenG -- 12/17/2023 8:22:45 AM >

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Growth in wine theft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI