CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Decant or not......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Decant or not...... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Decant or not...... - 12/22/2023 3:22:34 AM   
Finewinelad

I'm interested to know the feedback on opinions to decant or not old wines.

Usually I don't decant old bottles, I take them from the wine cabinet and stand them for a few days and pop and pour (very carefully), leaving the last half a glass of sediment.

Below are the wines I have picked for our family Christmas.
Interested in views to decant or not.....

- 1992 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real
- 2004 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape (XMAS lunch backup)[image][/image]
- 1970 Château de Pez (Planned with XMAS Lunch, level low)
- 2005 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Cellar Reserve
- 2006 Clarendon Hills Grenache Clarendon

Happy Christmas (Happy Drinking)

https://www.cellartracker.com/m/my/profile
Post #: 1
RE: Decant or not...... - 12/22/2023 5:44:26 AM   
DoubleD1969

In your situation and with these wines, I will generally not decant on purpose with the exception of the 2006 Aussie Grenache. I enjoy letting the wine aerate in the glass, but if CT notes say otherwise I will follow the suggestion.

You may not have a choice with the Pez. Hopefully you have an ah-so to make the cork extraction easier. If the CUNE smells funky after opening, I might decant it if you're serving it first. I couldn't find this wine in CT - not sure if it's the Reserva and if the vintage is a different one.

Welcome to the forums.

(in reply to Finewinelad)
Post #: 2
RE: Decant or not...... - 12/22/2023 6:52:36 AM   
daviladc

At the last Charleston Off Line we decanted almost every one of the older wines and for extended periods. I was afraid the two older bottles I brought would fade from a decant. But surprisingly the 1967 Fiorina Barbaresco and 1976 Leroy both got better as the night went on.

I would decant if possible.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Decant or not...... - 12/22/2023 7:14:57 AM   
BenG

Every now and then older wines I open don't show well enough to pour for other people, so I like to pour out a little bit to test a few hours before. If it smells as expected I will pour it back in (or have a quick tipple) and recork (with a different cork if needed).

If it smells a bit funky, I will pour out a bit more so that the bottle is at shoulder level and then come back to it every half hour to see if the funkiness has blown off. If the funkiness hasn't blown off after a couple of hours, I'll get out a replacement bottle and recork the original bottle. I'll keep that original bottle for another day or two to see if it comes around and it will become a high-end weekday wine.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 4
RE: Decant or not...... - 12/22/2023 9:17:10 AM   
jmcmchi

+1 on decanting the Clarendon. If similar to the ‘05, there will be a bit of sediment, and it is still fresh enough to benefit from an hour of air

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 5
RE: Decant or not...... - 12/22/2023 12:30:21 PM   
Finewinelad

Yes my plan was to pop an pour with the Pez, yes I have an Ah-so but i did ask the wife for a Durand for Christmas with will make the job much easier.
If the Pez is ok (Level mid shoulder) for Christmas day, will prob decant the Baucastel for later. Will also decant the Penfolds I think.
The CVNE is for Christmas eve, was an auction buy so will take my chances, with the Clarendon in reserve.

Thanks for the welcome

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Decant or not...... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI