CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Dry January 2024

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Dry January 2024 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 7:25:21 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

Day 8 today, this gets easier each year as it feels like a path well trod. 1/3 of the way through my shortened dry January.

Yesterday was funny though, I was flying back from Denver to Seattle after visiting a friend. A young man sat down next to me in the middle seat, very tall. He could not wait until the seat belt light went off to use the restroom, so of course I let him out. When the drinks cart came, he tried to buy me a (can of) red wine for my kindness. I declined. He insisted. I told him no thanks, explained about dry January. Are you kidding?, he asks. No. Just pretend it's February, come on, have a wine. No thanks, it's a promise I make to myself and my wife. Oh, he says, it's because of your wife. He buys two cans of wines and we "cheer" with his wine and my orange juice. I *think* he had had some wine before he got on the plane. We did have a nice conversation while he enjoyed his wine.

Nothing makes me want to NOT drink like when someone tries to force, repeatedly offer or coerce me into drinking alcohol. That was literally about 50% of college....having people trying to get you to do what they wanted to do.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 31
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 7:33:10 AM   
KPB

I find that sort of thing really weird and wrong. I wouldn't push people to drink and I don't want anyone pushing me.

But there is one social conflict issue that arises. In European households, good manners require you to offer to pour wine for everyone drinking it at the table before taking more yourself. You can sort of skip a person who has a remaining half glass, but below that, you are forced to ask.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 32
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 8:36:07 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

We are not doing Dry January, but had an uncomfortable tasting room experience on Saturday sorta related. We picked up some wine at Rotie Cellars in SoDo and did want to taste the wines we had already bought, so sat down for a tasting. The server kept bringing us extra wines, pouring both glasses beyond normal sample size, no dump bucket, and in addition would not leave us alone to taste/enjoy the wines. He must think we wanted (for about the 3rd or 4th time since we've met him before) his entire life story and everything he knows about the history of Rotie Cellars. At one point he remarked they were slow due to Dry January and rolled his eyes. We eventually told him to stop pouring and we left without adding to our case, which is a fairly uncommon occurrence. I was tempted to send a note to the owner, but left it alone. I really thought about how more annoying it would have been to pick up without tasting, and have them be as snide as this guy was about being Dry. We have dropped wineries due to poor tasting room experiences, but we get a great discount at Rotie and enjoy all their wines so we decided we would just try to avoid Rotie/SoDo, or at least avoid that particular young man. Annoying.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 33
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 10:28:14 AM   
BRR

quote:

Day 8 today, this gets easier each year as it feels like a path well trod. 1/3 of the way through my shortened dry January.

Yesterday was funny though, I was flying back from Denver to Seattle after visiting a friend. A young man sat down next to me in the middle seat, very tall. He could not wait until the seat belt light went off to use the restroom, so of course I let him out. When the drinks cart came, he tried to buy me a (can of) red wine for my kindness. I declined. He insisted. I told him no thanks, explained about dry January. Are you kidding?, he asks. No. Just pretend it's February, come on, have a wine. No thanks, it's a promise I make to myself and my wife. Oh, he says, it's because of your wife. He buys two cans of wines and we "cheer" with his wine and my orange juice. I *think* he had had some wine before he got on the plane. We did have a nice conversation while he enjoyed his wine.

Sounds like a great seatmate (unless he talked your ear off the whole flight). Way to stay strong. Probably easier to do so when declining a free airline can of wine than if he was offering you a glass of, say, Clerc Milon or something.

Cheers!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 34
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 12:00:32 PM   
RedRedMoreRed

Definitely a dry January here. And my lawn looks terrible. Now excuse me as I have an '05 Brane-Cantenac breathing in the decanter.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 35
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 1:45:32 PM   
GoodToGrape

I'm doing dry January partly to jump start a 35 lb weight loss goal, and partly as a transition step away from craft beer and back to red wine. Over the past few years, I kind of got sucked into a craft beer obsession with group of guys I play golf with. IPA during the round, something crafty in the clubhouse, then a few nice beers at home or out for dinner...it adds up fast. In the process, I pretty much threw caution to the wind with carbohydrates and gained 35 lbs along the way.

So it's dry January for me, and trying out carnivore. I'm on day 9 now, and down 7 lbs. Not missing the alcohol at all, and not really missing the carbs & sugars too much either. Not my first rodeo though, so like others I knew the landscape ahead of time. Feeling generally good at the moment. Sleeping better, energy is solid, mental acuity is on point.

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 36
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 2:32:36 PM   
wadcorp

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 37
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 3:52:33 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

quote:

Sounds like a great seatmate (unless he talked your ear off the whole flight). Way to stay strong. Probably easier to do so when declining a free airline can of wine than if he was offering you a glass of, say, Clerc Milon or something.

He was an interesting guy, professional soccer player (minor leagues) who blew out his knee two years ago. Was originally from Eritrea. I showed him a video of my grandson scoring on a direct kick in a soccer tournament Friday night, and he knew exactly which field he was on at Starfire.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 38
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/9/2024 8:13:56 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedRedMoreRed

Definitely a dry January here. And my lawn looks terrible. Now excuse me as I have an '05 Brane-Cantenac breathing in the decanter.

No worries here. Just received about 5 inches of slush in this "winter storm". I do not recommend shoveling slush....it's wet & heavy as sh##

I need a beer.....

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 39
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/11/2024 9:24:38 AM   
Ibetian

10 days in the books, 3 weeks to go and still staying strong!

A 5k race Sunday, my first since the pandemic. My goal is to break 40 minutes, which used to be my goal for 10k. I’ll be among the youngest in the 70+ category, but folks still running at 70 were faster than me at 20, 30,40,50,60 and today. My primary hope is to avoid injury.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 40
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/11/2024 9:45:10 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

10 days in the books, 3 weeks to go and still staying strong!

A 5k race Sunday, my first since the pandemic. My goal is to break 40 minutes, which used to be my goal for 10k. I’ll be among the youngest in the 70+ category, but folks still running at 70 were faster than me at 20, 30,40,50,60 and today. My primary hope is to avoid injury.

40 minutes for a 10k? The f***?!? Impressive!

Cheers!

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 41
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/11/2024 12:36:10 PM   
Ibetian

40 minutes for a 10K was my goal 30 -40 years ago, but I never got there. Came close a couple of times and did hit 20:00 for a 5K. I was in great shape and ran a couple of marathons, but never had the foot speed of really good runners. And I’ve gotten steadily slower. My all out sprint speed these days is about equal to my slow jog speed back in the day. Just glad to put one foot in front of the other now…

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 42
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/11/2024 2:25:24 PM   
KPB

What bugs me is that just when you celebrate the end of dry January, I'll still have most of a week to go (because I started when my sense of smell and taste briefly went wonky, due to a virus -- but that was a few days late)

Ken Birman

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 43
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/11/2024 5:02:44 PM   
WineGuyCO

Another idea instead of an entire month of no drinking is to take off one week a month or every other month etc. If you were to take off one week every three months that is an entire month of not drinking for the year. Just like dry January. Take a week off drinking every other month and that’s two entire months dry. Take a week off every month and that’s three months dry. I know this group is not into not drinking but sometimes it’s a challenge just to see if you can. Lol.

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 1/11/2024 5:03:21 PM >

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 44
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/12/2024 7:09:01 AM   
wineismylife

My routine is to never drink two days in a row. That way half of the year I'm not drinking anything but water and coffee. The other half I drink what I want. Mostly wine. But I do try to limit myself to 1 cocktail before dinner, 1 good sized glass of wine with dinner. "One and done" is my motto. Am I successful? Not always. But without a doubt I feel and sleep a lot better and I've lost weight slowly but surely over the past 3+ years. Just need to get a bunch more off.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 45
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/12/2024 8:05:31 AM   
fingers

12:00am - 11:59am. Dry
12:00pm - 11:59pm. Drink up

See, I'm also dry half the year

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 46
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/12/2024 8:26:15 AM   
wineismylife

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 47
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/12/2024 7:32:07 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

My routine is to never drink two days in a row. That way half of the year I'm not drinking anything but water and coffee. The other half I drink what I want. Mostly wine. But I do try to limit myself to 1 cocktail before dinner, 1 good sized glass of wine with dinner. "One and done" is my motto. Am I successful? Not always. But without a doubt I feel and sleep a lot better and I've lost weight slowly but surely over the past 3+ years. Just need to get a bunch more off.

Coravin?

I'm usually two glasses with dinner, and that's most days of the week, but not all. The key for me is too NOT drink before my meal....I save the wine for the food.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 48
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/14/2024 7:28:42 AM   
Ibetian

Today is the end of week 2 of Dry January. So far so good, but the next week to ten days will present a test.

I finished my 5K in 35:57, good for 6 of 11 in men 70-74. Mediocrity, c’est moi!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 49
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/14/2024 9:01:34 AM   
BornToRhone

Nice run! "No running here" says my right knee.

Dry January Day 14 update - Successfully no alcohol, Keto diet, intermittent fasting, no food on Mondays (36 hr fast).
SH and I both lost 7 pounds each so far. Only 17 more days (and 15 more pounds) to go!

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 1/14/2024 9:02:25 AM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 50
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/14/2024 11:48:24 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

Today is the end of week 2 of Dry January. So far so good, but the next week to ten days will present a test.

I finished my 5K in 35:57, good for 6 of 11 in men 70-74. Mediocrity, c’est moi!

That's awesome and inspiring. Much more than mediocre for your age group.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 51
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/14/2024 6:17:19 PM   
KPB

I honestly have no idea how you lose weight by not drinking! I’m still dry (10 days?) and aside from missing wine with dinner, not suffering. But I’m not losing weight.

Ken Birman

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 52
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/15/2024 6:18:17 AM   
Ibetian

Well, assume you shared a bottle of wine with someone every day. That’s about 20 glasses of wine per week, or about 2500 calories. 4 1/2 weeks about 11,000 calories, or about 3 pounds.

Many folks also seem to exercise more and pay closer attention to their diet during DJ. Some might retain a bit less water when not drinking for an extended period.

Add it up, and weight loss is often 5-10 pounds, sometimes more.

Of course if you ordinarily drank less wine or didn’t diet or increase exercise the amount would be less. And 2 weeks is a pretty short sample, scales are not perfect, and maybe you’ve got something else going on, like recovering for illness and regaining water weight from dehydration.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 53
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/15/2024 8:08:55 AM   
WineGuyCO

Day 15 of no drinking & no carbs. Will do a “weigh in” on 2/1 to see how it’s going.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 54
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/15/2024 11:37:44 AM   
GoodToGrape

Day 15 of carnivore plus no alcohol, and I was down 10.4 lbs at my AM weigh-in. This represents 5% of my total body weight, and assuming 30% body fat, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% fat loss (admittedly some is water weight loss). Clothes fit a little better, and cravings are under control. I opened my first bottle this morning because the braised short ribs I'm preparing required 2 cups of dry red wine, so I grabbed for a bottle of "Walgreen's finest" that a well-meaning dinner guest presented us with. This way, I'm not tempted to sneak a glass from the remaining 1/2 bottle that will most likely find its way to the sink.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 55
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/16/2024 10:15:29 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

Day 15 of carnivore plus no alcohol, and I was down 10.4 lbs at my AM weigh-in. This represents 5% of my total body weight, and assuming 30% body fat, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% fat loss (admittedly some is water weight loss). Clothes fit a little better, and cravings are under control. I opened my first bottle this morning because the braised short ribs I'm preparing required 2 cups of dry red wine, so I grabbed for a bottle of "Walgreen's finest" that a well-meaning dinner guest presented us with. This way, I'm not tempted to sneak a glass from the remaining 1/2 bottle that will most likely find its way to the sink.

Like you, to avoid temptation, I've purchased two cans of white wine this month that I used specifically for cooking. The rest went down the drain, and it wasn't too hard considering the can of wine cost $3.99.

Cheers!

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 56
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/16/2024 4:54:54 PM   
Ibetian

Today is DJ hump day - half behind us and half yet to come.

So far, so good, but based on prior experience, the next week to 10 days will provide challenges.

We’ll see. Perhaps I should ask my wife to tie me to the mast to resist the Sirens’ call? 😉

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 57
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/16/2024 5:22:24 PM   
skifree

Two-thirds of the way through my shortened dry January. The last 8 days were way harder than the first, to be honest, the cold weather here made a glass of hearty red wine or some brown liquid seem attractive. My substitute, Pellegrino, seemed less attractive than usual.

On to my home stretch.....

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 58
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/16/2024 10:05:39 PM   
BenG

If you're after brown liquid, I recommend fake Guinness.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 59
RE: Dry January 2024 - 1/17/2024 7:18:22 AM   
KPB

Well, I don't routinely weigh myself -- one of those other habits successful people have that somehow I never really adopted. Sometimes I've done it when on a serious diet (but once the diet was over, obsessively checking my weight was like the very first thing to go!)

But your analysis is encouraging. I guess I'm significantly reducing my calorie intake right now. In fact this has been a very easy time to skip wine. Nobody to drink with in any case, and I don't like to be drinking wine outside of social contexts.

The comments about buying a can for cooking, then dumping the rest have me wondering if I'll start drinking a glass with dinner once or twice in a row, but then dump the rest. Right now my habit has generally been to not dump out great wine. Coravin seemed to be the magic answer until I realized that in some subtle way, it doesn't seem to really work. Hard to put a description on the issue, but just the same, those bottles don't work as well for me and it becomes evident within a few days.

So the question does become one of pouring out half a bottle, perhaps of a very good wine.

Ken Birman

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Dry January 2024 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI