CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Back after a decade+ in the wilderness.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 9:44:10 AM   
GoodToGrape

Hi CT friends, old and new. I was fairly active back in the day when I had just built a new home with a 500 bottle cellar, and was frantically trying to fill it up. I enjoyed the learning, the lively discussion, the fun, and even the drama (remember the Pavie Princess dethroning?). I took an active role in the very first Secret Santa. Boy that was fun and I'm happy to see it's still going strong. I see lots of names from those days still active here. And saddened by the loss of a few that I was in regular communication with. RIP Drycab and The Colonel.

FF 1.5 decades, and I'm happily retired, moved from Chicago to TN to enjoy lots of golf, very little snow, and even less taxes. I knew I would be making the move, so about 5 years before retirement I allowed my 500 bottles to slowly dwindle down to about 150 primo bottles. 100 of them made the move, but 4 cases disappeared, presumably into the back of a rusty pickup truck driven by the guys who I hired to unload. I need to update my CT inventory some day as it still shows lots of bottles I no longer possess.

It's good to be back, and I hope to reengage in all the fun here.

Here's the question for y'all. As I gradually rebuild, I will no doubt be looking, researching and asking here. But for now, let's talk Bordeaux. My current collection is solid but pretty much stops at 2005. So I've got a huge gap to fill. Finding recent releases is easy, but which vintages between '06 and say '18 would you focus on that are still relatively available, and also represent decent value? Also note, I'm in a wine desert, and typically drive to Atlanta where supply is plentiful.

Thanks all!

< Message edited by GoodToGrape -- 1/9/2024 9:53:10 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 10:17:24 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Hi GtG, good to see you again, and it probably goes without saying, but avoid Tennessee "wine" unless it is high octane and has been filtered through charcoal. I really like the booze from Belle Meade distillery in Nashville.

There are a few Nashville area posters on here these days, and I saw sastewart mentioning going back to Chicago to shop for wine. If you are in East Tennessee, ATL is likely a bit closer. Buckhead/Marietta seems like a target area, but I don't know specifics, mgriffith about the only semi-regular ATL poster lately.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 1/9/2024 12:50:44 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 2
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 12:46:09 PM   
dad300

Welcome/welcome back..
Having just left TN you are correct it can be a wine desert.. that being said if your on the eastern side one of my favorite shops is/was Metro in Asheville.. great shop. Owners and staff are awesome and they pull some pretty cool stuff in for a relatively small shop.

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 1:09:44 PM   
grafstrb

Hi GtG,

Nice to see you here again! Welcome back.

The answer to your question is 2014 and 2019. 2016 was also an incredibly excellent vintage, and there are still many wines available in the market at relatively reasonable prices from that vintage, too.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to dad300)
Post #: 4
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 1:24:55 PM   
Wine Grove

+1 for Bordeaux years 2015-2019. They are approachable vintages generally speaking, and will still have many years to be enjoyed.

I'm drinking some of my 2015s and 2017s now. I know, to some of you that is infanticide!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 5
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 2:30:03 PM   
Claymonster

Hello GtG. +1 on 2019. Are you ever back in Chicago? If so, check out Internet Wines and Spirits. Their 2019 BDX menu is great and their prices are significantly cheaper than anyone else right now.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 6
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 4:08:55 PM   
skifree

Welcome back! Always happy to opine about Bdx.

2016 is a fantastic vintage for red wines, and the yield was so plentiful that they are quite easy to find. Not only are the classified growths great, but the satellite appellations were also terrific. But I am not a fan of the whites or Sauternes from that vintage.

2017 was a vintage where the classified growth on the left bank did quite well as they were not affected by the frost in April due to their proximity to the Gironde. Some deals to be found here, it is an under-appreciated vintage for reds. But the real winners in this vintage were the dry whites and Sauternes.

As others have noted, 2019 was an excellent vintage for both whites and reds.

I saw several 2020's in the Issaquah Costco today. Larrivet rouge was $35.99 and Dauzac was $44.99. !!!

Good luck and have fun restocking.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Claymonster)
Post #: 7
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 5:00:30 PM   
Ibetian

Welcome back, GtG!

I’m surprised no on has mentioned 2009 and 2010. True, these have gone up in price and will be harder to find, and some might prefer the leaner style of 2014. But I’ve enjoyed Batailley, Dom de Chevalier, Pichon Baron and others in 2009. 2010 needs more time, I think.

+1 on 2016 and 2019. Like most great vintages, the less prestigious wines can be great values.

I like 2018. Modern in style, but if you like that these are good and some are ready to drink already.

Good hunting!

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 8
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/9/2024 8:27:33 PM   
khmark7

The only vintages I might avoid would be 2013 & 2017. 2017 seems early to mature and your money would better be spent on better vintages with better structure like 2015, 2016 & 2019. 2020 was ok..... 2018 is being compared to 1986 or 1990....not an early drinking vintage but since the pandemic cancelled the UGC tastings I never was able to try the wines in their youth to make my own opinion.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 9
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/10/2024 2:39:06 AM   
lockestep

Welcome back.
Tennessee does allow wineries to direct ship to consumers. That will not help with the Bordeaux search but could help with filling the racks.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/10/2024 1:56:17 PM   
sastewart

Great to have another wine lover in Tennessee! It sounds like there are a lot of similarities in our stories - It looks like we are about the same age and I am also from Illinois and moved to Nashville 6 years ago after we retired. Much better for fishing, golf, very little snow, and even less taxes! As Chris mentioned I still go back to Chicago to visit friends, family and some of my wine (I still have about 700 bottles of mostly younger vintage Bordeaux stored there). This also gives me an opportunity to pick up wine I order online from Chicago Wine Co., Flickinger, Vin and Binnys. If you find a good retailer in Atlanta or Chicago you can order as you see things and pick up when you visit since a lot of stuff may not get to the shelves.

You are right about Tennessee being a relative wine desert. There are a few decent stores in Nashville but the selection of old world wines and pricing are not as good as what I was used to but as DAD300 noted you can have wine shipped from wineries and I order from a couple of Oregon wineries. (Tennessee really frowns on out of state retailers shipping wine here)

I drink a little less Bordeaux down here with the warmer weather but I own a lot and we still drink more of it than any other wine. As others have said, there are a number of excellent vintages out there. As futures the 19's and 14's came out at great prices but I'm not sure if there is still better value in those vintages. If I were you I would focus on 14, 15, 16, 18, and 19 with an emphasis on 16 and 19. There are still a few 09's and 10's out there although they are pricier.

I was hoping you were in the Nashville area but it looks like you are in Chattanooga. In any case it is only 2.5 hours away so if you want to come up this way let me know and we will share some good Bordeaux!

Cheers,
Scott

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 11
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/10/2024 2:49:34 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart
...As futures the 19's and 14's came out at great prices but I'm not sure if there is still better value in those vintages. I...

Cheers,
Scott

There is, but the extra value has steadily been diminishing, and will eventually disappear altogether. They're two really nice vintages, too.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 12
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/10/2024 3:18:38 PM   
CranBurgundy

Hi there!

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape
But for now, let's talk Bordeaux.

Oh well, I'm out.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 13
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/11/2024 4:40:28 PM   
GoodToGrape

quote:

In any case it is only 2.5 hours away so if you want to come up this way let me know and we will share some good Bordeaux!

Scott, might just take you up on that. A round of golf pairs very well with Bordeaux . DM me if you ever want to get something on the books.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 14
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/12/2024 12:12:05 PM   
sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

quote:

In any case it is only 2.5 hours away so if you want to come up this way let me know and we will share some good Bordeaux!

Scott, might just take you up on that. A round of golf pairs very well with Bordeaux . DM me if you ever want to get something on the books.

Sounds good, We will be down in Florida for a month or so...hopefully by the time we get back the weather will be better!

Post #: 15
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/12/2024 1:16:10 PM   
oskiwawa

Gtg, I am late to the game in seeing this one. Great to see an old CTer back again. I agree with the buy ‘09/10 strategy. This should be coming into their prime over the next 5 years and drinking well for many after that.

Post #: 16
RE: Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. - 1/12/2024 6:40:22 PM   
musedir

Welcome home! It has been a while.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Back after a decade+ in the wilderness. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI