CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: BD 15

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: BD 15 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 10:19:29 AM   
markandsusanw

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonboy74

Don't miss EMH Black Cat offer, its Merrill's last year to participate. She has vintages going back to 2013 for $60/btl plus flat $50 shipping regardless of quantity. I ordered 2 cases. These are great deals esp the 2013 as its already 11 years old!

There was an aged wine offer on MC I bought several bottles off of.

Also ordered both of Sabelli-Frisch offers, hard to argue with $150 for a case of wine including shipping! The mission grape ones are great discoveries! Very well made wines.

The Cabot sparkling wines with no dosage are excellent especially the 2014, and they are only $50 each. I have a bunch of these already, but went for a 6 pack of his various Zinfandels.

Scherrer goes live tomorrow, I'll get a case of his Zin as well.

Still TBD if I'll order any meat...

This is another I jumped on, despite my (clearly fading) resolve. The EMH wines are excellent and this is a killer deal. I've still got a couple cases worth already in my cellar, but couldn't resist adding more. They're that good, and definitely a loss that Merril is no longer making them. Drinks like a Napa cab 5x their price.

(in reply to jonboy74)
Post #: 31
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 10:28:19 AM   
ImUrHuckleberry

PSA for those that didn't have early access yeaterday - rumor is that the Goodfellow offer is about to drop. Unless Brig is pulling our leg, which is possible.

(in reply to markandsusanw)
Post #: 32
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 10:33:48 AM   
CranBurgundy

Went in for a 4 pack of EMH Classic. A friend and fellow wino ordered the 2019, and I ordered the 2016. We'll swap 2 bottles at our next dinner.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 33
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 11:30:49 AM   
markandsusanw

Personal curiosity ... Any idea why so many long-time participants saying it's their final Berserker Day participation? I figured with EMH, since I know Merrill hasn't made the Black Cat in a while, she'd just gone through her library. But noticed Virage said the same thing and it just made me wonder if something about the way they're doing the event now has shifted?

Regardless, those (+ JB Neufeld) are two of my favorite wine finds from this event.

Just those three wine orders for me so far—Neufeld, Virage and EMH—and some backup Grassl 1855s, but lots of good deals out there that I'm still sorely tempted by (Jean Edwards, Chiron, Stereophonic, Extradimensional), but trying to stay strong and resist. Had some Jean Edwards over the holidays and it's just so great!

By the way, if you're looking at the beef offers, can't recommend both Morgan Ranch and Flannery highly enough. Both are great people to work with, and always go above and beyond. Had an absolute comedy of errors (none their fault) with Morgan Ranch shipping a few years back, and they not only made it right, but went so over the top doing so I honestly felt bad about it. They've become a go-to for us, all year long. (And, knock wood, not a single shipping issue since.)

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 34
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 11:50:07 AM   
WineGuyCO

Minimal damage and I think I’m done with two Grassl 1855 glasses and a six pack of Vincent 2016 Armstrong Pinot. The Goodfellow 17 Temperence Hill was already gone. Thanks Huck

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

Post #: 35
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 11:57:14 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: markandsusanw

Personal curiosity ... Any idea why so many long-time participants saying it's their final Berserker Day participation? I figured with EMH, since I know Merrill hasn't made the Black Cat in a while, she'd just gone through her library. But noticed Virage said the same thing and it just made me wonder if something about the way they're doing the event now has shifted?

Emily (Virage) lost her property in the Glass Fire in 2020. Merrill, I believe, has sold her property and is retiring.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 36
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 12:04:14 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Had some Jean Edwards over the holidays and it's just so great!

Resistance is futile. Just order some. I just went in for the 3 pack "Red Zone" of 74-41. Their Rutherford 2013 "Lombardi Trophy" was quite the deal given the quality of that wine and it's readiness to drink immediately.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 37
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 12:07:20 PM   
markandsusanw

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

Emily (Virage) lost her property in the Glass Fire in 2020. Merrill, I believe, has sold her property and is retiring.

Oh no, I knew about Merrill retiring, but had no idea about Virage. That is awful!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 38
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 12:11:18 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

quote:

Oh no, I knew about Merrill retiring, but had no idea about Virage. That is awful!

Didn't know about Virage either. Emily was always a pleasure to deal with, either via email or on the phone. The last couple bottles of her 2012 (1 Barrel Select / 1 Napa Blend) in my cellar have just been elevated to Special Status.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 39
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 12:17:13 PM   
recotte

Emily is absolutely delightful, and the fire truly tragic. There was a thread on WB about it at the time; if you do a search, I’m sure it will come up.

Post #: 40
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 12:30:27 PM   
markandsusanw

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Had some Jean Edwards over the holidays and it's just so great!

Resistance is futile. Just order some. I just went in for the 3 pack "Red Zone" of 74-41. Their Rutherford 2013 "Lombardi Trophy" was quite the deal given the quality of that wine and it's readiness to drink immediately.

You are correct, I completely caved. So, yeah, make that EMH, Virage, JB Neufeld and Jean Edwards purchased today. Restraint? I don't know her.

Wines I am not buying (for real this time!), but only because the state frowns on filling your children's closets with wine bottles, Chiron, Stereophonic, Scherr and Fine Disregard. Those are good wines, at good prices. Other people should buy them. If only to keep me from doing so.

Post #: 41
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 12:50:10 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Those are good wines, at good prices. Other people should buy them. If only to keep me from doing so.

If I had anymore room in my signature, that would be a worthwhile quote to add.

quote:

Prudence? I don't know her.

FIFY.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 1/26/2024 12:52:09 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 42
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 12:51:16 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I added a newbie, Moshin, Chenin and Pinot Noir. We were thinking about a visit to Sonoma but I saved lots of money by buying from Boheme and Moshin from the frigid comfort of my own home.

I am way over budget and done... I might bid on an item or two, but hopefully I'll win some of the Unicorn loot or another freebie or two drawings that I've entered by posting in threads.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 43
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 3:25:57 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

Today: a Sabelli-Frisch white+red case for me, filled out with a bottle of the Biograf Syrah, and with a Biograf Picpoul swapped in for one of the Missions (upon request).

Tomorrow: Veleta olive oil, Tercero Rose, Lagier Meredith Syrah, a couple of lamb loins and hanger steaks from Flannery...

Updated.

The Lagier Meredith case was a bit of a splurge for me, but it's really good, and I know that I'll be happy with a stash of these. I'm sorry to hear they're ending production.

There are some tempting offers still out there, but I'm totally tapped out and need to be done.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 44
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 5:43:09 PM   
markandsusanw

So, apparently, what I meant when I said I wasn't going to buy any wine today is that I was going to buy a whole lot of wine, but all for really good "reasons"

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 45
RE: BD 15 - 1/26/2024 5:43:37 PM   
ericindc

I kept going back and looking, but I couldnt really find anything new that was interesting to me. I might just get a 1/2 or full case of Veleta sparkling (both rose and white are quite good).

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 46
RE: BD 15 - 1/27/2024 12:14:43 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

My final damage:

JB Neufeld - Cab -12 bottles mixed case - local pick up
Virage - Cab Franc and Blends - 12 bottles total mixed
Lagier Meredith - Syrah 12 bottles vertical and Tribidrag 6 bottles vertical
Boheme - Pinot Noir - 6 bottles mixed
Moshin - Chenin Blanc 6 bottles and Pinot Noir 6 bottles
Patricia Green - Pinot Noir - 6 bottles Corrine - pick up in Newberg
Grosgain - Syrah/Rhones - 6 bottles - pick up in Walla Walla
Orr - Chenin Blanc - 12 bottles and Merlot/Vineyard Workers Red - 12 bottles. - pick up in Woodinville
Sabelli Frisch - Mission and others - 12 bottles.

8.5 cases total. Maybe I’ll add another 6’ers somewhere to make an even 9.

Dick’s - Large

Won a $100 gift card from JJ Buckley (already looking at Brunello) and still might win another raffle bottle or two.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 47
RE: BD 15 - 1/27/2024 1:48:26 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

My final damage:

JB Neufeld - Cab -12 bottles mixed case - local pick up
Virage - Cab Franc and Blends - 12 bottles total mixed
Lagier Meredith - Syrah 12 bottles vertical and Tribidrag 6 bottles vertical
Boheme - Pinot Noir - 6 bottles mixed
Moshin - Chenin Blanc 6 bottles and Pinot Noir 6 bottles
Patricia Green - Pinot Noir - 6 bottles Corrine - pick up in Newberg
Grosgain - Syrah/Rhones - 6 bottles - pick up in Walla Walla
Orr - Chenin Blanc - 12 bottles and Merlot/Vineyard Workers Red - 12 bottles. - pick up in Woodinville
Sabelli Frisch - Mission and others - 12 bottles.

8.5 cases total. Maybe I’ll add another 6’ers somewhere to make an even 9.

Dick’s - Large

Won a $100 gift card from JJ Buckley (already looking at Brunello) and still might win another raffle bottle or two.

Very nice.

I ended up with 2.5 cases Goodfellow, 2 cases Vincent, and half a case Perkins Harter.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 48
RE: BD 15 - 1/27/2024 1:53:52 PM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

I just snagged some Flannery ribeyes, and with that, I may just try to ignore BD for the duration.

May.

That went about as well as I expected. I'm sucker for Cab Franc/Merlot blends, and Virage does them so well. Only minor damage was done; a 3 pack of Virage, and a 3 pack of Cab Franc.

But now I'm really done.

Really.

Spoiler alert: I wasn’t really done.

I purchased some Bennuaine glasses (specifically designed for whisk(e)y and other spirits). I’m excited about these; they look like amazing glasses. They also had a drawing, and I was one of the winners, three bottles of Matthiason wine, plus a bottle of vermouth from them. So, yay!

Now I’m really done.

Unless I don’t win some auction items I have bids on over on winebid, in which case I’ll probably circle back and get some Goodfellow before they close out tomorrow.

And then I’ll be really, really done.

Really.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 49
RE: BD 15 - 1/27/2024 2:19:38 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

So, apparently, what I meant when I said I wasn't going to buy any wine today is that I was going to buy a whole lot of wine, but all for really good "reasons"

quote:

Really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnnDA6OGqvY

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 1/27/2024 2:20:43 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 50
RE: BD 15 - 1/28/2024 7:40:36 AM   
fingers

Goodfellow sparklers 6-pack
Sandler 6 and 4 pack mixed red/white
Ladd Chardonnay 6-pack
Tercero rose 6-pack

Not very adventurous, since I have the plenty Goodfellow, Sandler, and Tercero already.

Post #: 51
RE: BD 15 - 1/28/2024 7:59:30 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Not very adventurous, since I have the plenty Goodfellow, Sandler, and Tercero already.

At this point in our wine journeys, we know what we like. There's nothing wrong with staying within your tried & true boundaries.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 52
RE: BD 15 - 1/28/2024 9:15:08 AM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Goodfellow sparklers 6-pack
Sandler 6 and 4 pack mixed red/white
Ladd Chardonnay 6-pack
Tercero rose 6-pack

I was going to grab some Tercero since I bought a mixed case recently and have enjoyed many of the bottles, but his offer said no shipping to NH. I guess he probably would have found a way, but I didn't want to be a nuisance so I moved on.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 53
RE: BD 15 - 1/28/2024 5:13:47 PM   
jonboy74

Correct on Merrill - she sold her property in Calistoga, her last vintage was 2019. The house wine at the Four Seasons in Calistoga is made with her grapes now but that may change with the buyer of the property. We love her wine so much it's my single biggest holding at just under 200 bottles. No brainer for me to get 2 more cases of 2012 and 2013. These things can age awhile so no rush, but they also are accessible with a good 2-3 hr decant if you can't wait.

I suspect we may see one last inventory blow out on the forum, maybe as a MC offer, unless she just does a bulk sale of the remaining inventory.

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 54
RE: BD 15 - 1/28/2024 7:46:23 PM   
Hollowine

One last purchase today...had to get some of those Whisk(e)y glasses Eric was talking about, so grabbed the mixed 4pk.

Going to have a freezer full...
* Flannery
* Morgan Ranch
* Papa Waygu
* Dicks Potato Chips
* Bennuaine (Spirits Glasses)
* 2x $100 Donations to Love146 raffle - netted us 1x $100 JJB gift card and 4x 4-pk of Repour wine stoppers

Pretty good savings on a lot of Waygu and Prime Steaks. Planning to do some head to head showdown to see how the meats compare.

And while not related to BD15, but figure it was just the good karma in the air... Got a call from my local liquor store while I was in the middle of a web meeting and screwing around perusing BD offers...my name had been drawn in the raffle and I got first pick at 4 of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles they had just received. Grabbed me the W.L.Weller in a hot second, no brainer.

(in reply to jonboy74)
Post #: 55
RE: BD 15 - 1/29/2024 7:09:31 AM   
wineismylife

My final damage:

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 56
RE: BD 15 - 1/29/2024 1:11:28 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

half a case Perkins Harter.

Well, I added this too to fill out my 9th case. Gives me another pick-up and tasting destination in Willamette which I'll visit in February.

Then I and Emily miscommunicated and screwed up my Virage order, so instead of a 12 bottle case, I now have 15 bottles of that one.

9.25 Cases. Not going back again!

I promise!

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 57
RE: BD 15 - 1/29/2024 4:35:15 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

quote:

half a case Perkins Harter.

Well, I added this too to fill out my 9th case. Gives me another pick-up and tasting destination in Willamette which I'll visit in February.

Then I and Emily miscommunicated and screwed up my Virage order, so instead of a 12 bottle case, I now have 15 bottles of that one.

9.25 Cases. Not going back again!

I promise!

I visited in 2022 after "meeting" her on the berserkers forum. We were there for 5 hours! My buddy got lit, while I had to be the responsible one. I really enjoyed meeting Shelby and her husband Peter - good people. I plan to visit again assuming I can make it in for Vincent's grand opening of his new property this coming summer.

< Message edited by ImUrHuckleberry -- 1/29/2024 4:36:52 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 58
RE: BD 15 - 1/29/2024 4:46:12 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnnDA6OGqvY

Well, I won most of my auction items, so I was good and did not go back to the BD well. If I had, it would have been for the 6-pack of bubbly from Goodfellow that fingers picked up.

Post #: 59
RE: BD 15 - 1/30/2024 12:17:25 PM   
skifree

I looked yesterday, and ended up with - zero! Hello, Dear Prudence

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: BD 15 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI