CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey. Share your story!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey. Share your story! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey. Share your ... - 1/22/2024 11:09:14 AM   
Rossodio

I was inspired to write this exceedingly long post to share my overall wine story with anyone who cares for a long read about it, and to tie it into my Cellartracker experience. I was inspired by this thread that was put up by Ibetian recently: 18 Years on CT. I was also inspired by BobMiltons Wine Wake thread that made me reflect that life is too short to sit on your bottles, and that even in moments of sadness wine can honor all kinds of situations. I may have written something similar and much more brief as an introduction when I first joined CT. What better time than the present day to update things and catch this corner up on my journey?

Please share your life's wine story here, too. We are all sickos, and it is only proper to share in our pathology together!

I joined CT 2007 at the age of 25, about 2 years after I decided I would get into wine. Cellartracker has been absolutely integral for me, starting with learning how to budget my purchases and track how much monetary value I get out of them; so many wines I have and have had would have cost me a fortune as restaurant purchases or if I had bought them at peak drinking window rather than at release to retail vendors (or occasionally as futures, though the value of this nowadays is questionable). I have bought and still buy wine only as an investment for myself and my family - to be drunk and shared, not sold. When I die I am sure I will pass my collection on to family who will do the same. CT has also helped me immensely in deciding when in my wines' evolutions to drink them through peoples' notes and recommended drinking windows. I have tended to buy one or two bottles of given wines, more recently 4 or 6 bottles of certain wines, along with a smattering of Magnum purchases. Without CT I would have drunken many of the wines I have had too early or too late. CT has helped me judge whether or not a wine purchase makes sense through valuation, etc. Finally, CT has helped me organize my now 550ish bottle cellar much, much better than I ever could have without it. The forums here have helped me out with pairing and restaurant recs, and I have enjoyed Secret Santa for many years as well which has introduced me to wines I otherwise never would have seen or had. CT has enhanced my life in so many quantifiable and unquantifiable ways... I have nearly no regrets in my wine journey so far. I have exercised financial restraint in my wine life and as a result have learned how to purchase in the sweet spot of $15-50/bottle and find an incredible number of earth shatteringly good wines and appellations that otherwise I would never have found. Without CT, it would have been impossible.

My journey with wine altogether started in 2005 when I was invited to an engagement party in a city - Huntsville, Alabama - where I was born and where I had not lived in since I was 5. The engagement party was for the daughter of dear old friends of my parents who was getting married. The only people I knew at the party were the bride to be and her parents. I had not spoken with anyone else in that city aside from a once in a blue moon passage through town to see a small group of my parents and family's old friends since my family moved away when I was 5.

My family was invited to the engagement party to act as hosts at an exceedingly wealthy family's home who knew the bride's family and also knew my parents well but had not met me. For varying reasons, my parents, my older brother, and my younger brother could not go on the family's behalf. My parents didn't even ask me initially as I was in a summer course at the beginning of my second year of medical school. When no one else could go from the family, they did ask me, and it happened to be one of maybe two or three weekends the entire summer when I could reasonably go. A flight was booked.

A blind date was arranged for me by the bride's family and we immediately knew during the car ride heading to the party that there was no chemistry between us even to hang out and socialize for the duration of the party. When we arrived she split off with her friends. I opted to mosey around the gorgeous $5M+ property, eat incredibly intricate and elaborate catered food, and watch people whom I don't know get very drunk while I sipped on bourbon. It was like being a wedding date for a bridesmaid, but umpteen times better since I had even less personal connection to most of the people there and didn't have a date.

The owner of the house, a man in his mid 50's with a glass of wine in hand, noticed me walking around by myself, introduced himself, and exclaimed "You're Papa and Mama Rossodio's son, aren't you?! So glad to have you here. If you'd like to, come on downstairs - the boys and I are shooting pool and opening some great wines." I had been into cooking and baking for some time and already enjoyed fine and practical simple dining both, but my experience with wine was probably 2 or 3 glasses of red or white in my lifetime and a few glasses of sparkling over the years. I wandered downstairs to the ground floor of the home where there were a few guys in their 20's and 30's shooting pool on a 9 foot Brunswick billiards table. All of them had glasses of wine sitting on the tables. There were maybe 200 bottles of wine on a rack outside of a large cellar door along with a bunch of cardboard box cases of wine that were presumably for parties and the like. I wandered into a walk in actively cooled cellar around 30x30 feet with a 12 foot ceiling and racks on all 4 walls from floor to ceiling. An island in the middle of the room had underneath the countertop slide out case storage, 2 cases deep and 3 or 4 rows high, with probably 80 cases of wine laid within. I would estimate maybe a 2-3000 bottle cellar, but not entirely sure. The home owner and about 4 or 5 others were in the cellar, with someone else occasionally wandering in and out. The home owner apparently traveled the world visiting wineries and collecting wine with a strong Italian, Spanish, White Burgundy, and California collection that he was talking about in there. He opened Brunello, Barolo, Amarone, white Burgs, and some Napa cabs that I can recall, many of which in retrospect were heavy hitter labels - at least looking back on it, I remember seeing Gaja, Quintarelli, Heitz, and Silver Oak labels. Much of the lineup was a blur to my wine virgin mind.

The smell was intoxicating and I remember after taking my first sip of good wine having an instant revelation that it would marry so well with certain foods and that food and wine could elevate each other. That first glass was a Brunello I recall. I stayed in that cellar for the best part of 2 1/2 hours. I was enamored by the transience of wine - that every bottle is its own individual living entity, every bottle slightly different, and every day waited on to open a bottle was another incremental evolution of that wine. I was enamored by how I looked at a vintage on a bottle and it would take me back to that year in my life and in world or local events. He opened a 2000 vintage wine there and I thought of graduating high school, my breakup with my high school sweetheart, and starting college. I thought of the sweltering heat wave in Italy when he opened an '03 of some sort and recalled reading randomly in the news previously about how so many wine workers died servicing vineyards that year. I was enamored by the toxic and inviting nature of the nose of wines especially - I had not really figured out the proper technique of smelling wine but that night I remember putting my nose in the glass, inhaling gently, and naturally almost closing my eyes and getting lost in the perfumed cloud hitting my brain, oblivious for a few seconds or longer to the world around me otherwise. Just getting lost in the moment. I was enamored by the thought of the technical and scientific/chemical parts of winemaking, the process of resting wines in barrels, sorting grapes, and the like. I was intrigued by the home owner's personal descriptions of the vineyards, his orated tasting notes of the wines, and how some of them had changed with years since he purchased certain bottles he served. The differing palates and finishes of different types of wines had me intrigued as well. I was hooked.

On my flight home the next afternoon I vowed when I got home I was going to start exploring wine and learn about it on my own. I searched everywhere trying to figure out the best text to seek out and ended up settling on buying Kevin Zraly's Windows on the World wine course textbook. I followed it as closely as I could on my own, studying and enjoying as I went. I went to the local Total Wine in Charleston, SC where I was in school as I did not know where else to go. I within a few months had read the book cover to cover. I will never forget my first Cotes du Rhone and one of my first ever purchased bottles of wine being a Guigal from the early-mid 2000's. A breakthrough came when I took a woman I was dating to one of the highest end restaurants at the time in the city. During the meal they served bread with far and away the best extra virgin olive oil I have ever had to this day. I asked for the manager where they sourced it since I wanted to get some for my kitchen. They mentioned a wine and cheese store about 15 minutes away. I went there to explore the olive oil but when I showed up I was greeted by the owner of this small shop, a woman 12 years older than me who was friendly and seemed passionate about the store and everything within, including teas, wines, and cheeses. I decided to tell her about my trying to get into wine and she offered me a glass of something she was pouring for some customers. I sat with her that evening and we chatted for about 30 minutes about wine. She had a heavily old world based collection, maybe 85% of what was in the store. From that point I went to the weekly (later twice weekly) tastings she would have at her store of 4 or 5 wines at the cost of $5 (later $10) per tasting almost every week for the remaining 2 1/2 years or so of medical school. I would talk with her and learn from her about the wines every week and would often stay afterwards, hang with her, she would open another higher end bottle from her wares, and chat with her. Sometimes her assistant would stay with us and sometimes her husband would come by after he was done with his own work at a local law firm. I would help her close the store often on many of those nights and we became good friends. Three bottles stand out from time spent with her - a magnum of 1970 Pomerol she opened for her 40th birthday party in 2010, chateau Domaine de l'Eglise (I later got an '05 of it that I opened in the last couple of years); a bottle of 2005 Volnay les Santenots by Alex Gambal (tight as a drum at the time; my first "nice" wine purchase ever at around $50 in ~2007; I opened the bottle Christmas of 2023 to go with a beef Wellington I made and it was heavenly); and 1996 Coudelet de Beaucastel which was 12 years old when she got ahold of a parcel of it in 2008 that taught me that even lowly appellations like CdR could be incredible and potentially age well. I would be remiss to not mention that I discovered Gary Vaynerchuk and Wine Library TV around 2006 or 2007 as well which helped me open my mind to all kinds of under the radar appellations worldwide. I also found what is still my #1 retail outfit that I purchase from, another operation out of New York, around that time.

Now 3 years into my wine journey, I moved on to residency and fellowship in New Orleans and was there for 6 years. By that point I was literally hosting wine tastings for co-residents at my condominium and getting others into wine. People at the tastings were blown away that if you know what you are doing you can find hella good wines at the $15-40/bottle range. I was at a different local wine tasting in the city by myself in my intern year and talking with someone from the shop about a wine when a man walked up to me who was unbeknownst to me a prominent collector there. He mentioned that I sounded like I knew what I was talking about with wine and he and I chatted for a while. He mentioned a wine shop about 10 minutes from downtown where folks would "brown bag" wines on Saturdays. I was now 27 years old and living on a meager resident salary. He mentioned the price of admission was at least something around $50/bottle and gave me an informal invite to this informal weekly event. I went to a local store and picked up and decided to show up with something in the $50-75 range - a bottle of 2002 Pavillon Rouge from Chateau Margaux, mainly to see how what such a great label would do with such a poor vintage. I showed up to a room of men and a couple of women ranging in age mostly from 50 to 75, including one of the most hard nosed and strict attending physicians in my residency program who recognized me immediately as one of the interns. He was trashed and immediately made sure I felt welcomed into the group. I made damn sure to not rotate as one of his interns or residents while I was in the program and he and I shared a deep mutual respect for one another for the remainder of my time in the program. The group of typically around 10 people at these informal tastings would do brown bagged blind tastings of wines brought from their/my collections (sometimes "triple blinded" - poured into dark cups after having been at their homes double decanted into different bottles - for example, a Bordeaux being poured into an Alsace bottle to hide its identity further) and the owner of the store would join in with his own bottles, we would buy bottles from the store while tasting as well... it was about 70% Burgundy there, with healthy doses of Bordeaux, Riojas, other Spanish wines, occasional Italian wines, and only very rarely new world selections - though there was one local successful physician who had a prolific Penfolds collection and would bring old St. Henri, Grange, and the like from time to time. The guys in there especially with Burgundy could often name the vintage, producer, and appellation. They could do the same at times with certain other regions (Bdx and Lopez Riojas in particular). It was incredible. I recall having the oldest wine I have ever had while there - a madeira from the 1860's. I was introduced to how great and varied Calvados can be there, and Cognac and Armagnac as well. I recall the first time a California wine ever fooled me for a Bordeaux - it was a 1990 Dominus. I thought it was a 1990 Paulliac. So I had the vintage correct but otherwise was so far off. I was given a bit of a pass on the $50+ price of admission every time I came in given they knew I was living on a resident/fellow salary. I would bring in ringers, Mercureys/Vire Clisses, wines from Southwest France, Madirans and the like, and other outside the box selections and such, to stand up against their big boys. I was there often enough and challenged there enough in my six years of residency and fellowship to the point where I was able to start guessing producers, appellations, vintages on many wines.

I since then left and am practicing medicine in South Carolina. Married, with two children, now 5 and 9. New friends in our demographic all in our 30's to late 40's now, so many interested in good food and good times, often look at me as the guy who knows old world wine (and cognac/armagnac, calvados) more than they but them knowing many other boozes, beers, mixology, certain types of cuisine and cooking, and other such ventures and other aspects of the good life moreso than me. I love nothing more than sharing my wines and wine knowledge with them and learning from their fortes, and trying to get them to catch the wine bug like I have. Sharing with my wife and in laws and seeing how much more enjoyable moments are with the help of fine juice enriches my life and theirs. It is so much fun. I don't hesitate to find excuses to open my own interesting or well aged bottles or to prepare good food to share with it, never with pretentiousness, or to send my wife off to a meetup with her girlfriends with a cool bottle. A now second year medical student who shadowed me for a year at my office when he finished college I have gotten into wine as well and he has thus spread his interest with his own friends and I hope strongly that I am seeding my city and many future groups that will move elsewhere with interest in the universe of wine. I have heard from him secondhand of my indirect influence on the up and coming older Gen Z'ers/youngest millenials and hope that they learn to enjoy wine more as a result, in addition to my own older millenial/younger gen X demo. I have through random encounters and good fortune wound my way to where I am in my wine journey, old world heavy (should be obvious why after reading how I cut my teeth on wine) but still appreciative of and enjoying new world offerings; I am passing it forward to younger generations, and cannot wait until some day in the future when I am sharing the joys of wine with my own children and that up and coming class of physicians and their own friends.

Wine is an endless pursuit even for the most deep pocketed and open scheduled, and new experiences occur every week with wine for me still. I enjoy the simplest and most interesting wines both, so long as served with good company, and intend to continue for as long as I am able.

< Message edited by Rossodio -- 1/22/2024 3:55:20 PM >

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

Post #: 1
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 11:38:19 AM   
DoubleD1969

Thanks for sharing your wine journey! What a fun read!

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 2
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 12:05:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

My boss yelled at me for "goofing off on wine forums" and I was only halfway into the story. :-(

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 1:19:38 PM   
Ibetian

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for starting your own thread.

I wonder if a general thread on wine life stories might be of interest to forum members?

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 3:09:32 PM   
wadcorp

Fantastic account of your wine “journey”.

I'd do something as well, but my tale is nowhere as interesting.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 5
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 3:52:50 PM   
Rossodio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for starting your own thread.

I wonder if a general thread on wine life stories might be of interest to forum members?

I believe I may rename this thread and encourage folks to share their CT or general wine life stories here. Folks who actually get to the point of creating active forum accounts at a site like this at the least are uber passionate about wine. We all have our stories and sharing them here and reading them should add enjoyment to all of our wine lives.

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 6
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 3:53:30 PM   
Rossodio

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Fantastic account of your wine “journey”.

I'd do something as well, but my tale is nowhere as interesting.

You might think your story is boring but I can assure you that many of us here would disagree. Share away!

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 7
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 4:20:34 PM   
CranBurgundy

My story is quick & simple (just like me, which is why my wife married me). Way back to my first apartment at 22 years old, there were always Chiantis and Cabs on my small wine rack because I always ate beef and Italian food. As my taste got more sophisticated, I discovered better producers. Arrowood and Shafer became my go-to brands for Cali Cab, and Ruffino or Felsina were my choices for Chianti. I didn't expand on brands, I went up the ladder in quality with those brands, and eventually started making case purchases. Overdrive kicked in when I met a fellow wristwatch collector who also happened to be a Master Sommelier. He helped my learning curve IMMENSELY in return for my advice on vintage watches. Both hobbies simultaneously drained my wallet, and then meeting Charlie at Wine Works in Marlton NJ really put me over the top since he invited my wife and I to his wine club. I've oscillated back & forth between hobbies ever since. As I like to say, all my expenses start with the letter "W": Wine, Watches, and my Wife Windy.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 8
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/22/2024 4:29:25 PM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cran burgundy
As I like to say, all my expenses start with the letter "W": Wine, Watches, and my Wife Windy.

😂 pretty good

Post #: 9
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey. Share y... - 1/22/2024 6:41:07 PM   
fingers

Great post, Ross. Those are some very special moments to experience and remember.

You can probably count on something wine-related to make a living if the doctor thing doesn't work out

Cheers!

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 10
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey. Share y... - 1/23/2024 2:36:15 PM   
BenG

Excellent thread and it's great that you are passing on your enthusiasm to the next generation.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 11
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey. Share y... - 1/23/2024 4:28:54 PM   
DoubleD1969

My Wine Journey

My family and I immigrated to the States in the late 70s. I didn’t grow up with a family who drank wine. So my wine journey started in my 30s. Like many of you it began with a trip to Napa with a work colleague and a tasting at Beringer in 1999. Their 1997 Chardonnay Reserve was the switch that turned the light bulb on. A year later at Opus One I bought a 3-pack of their 1996 flagship wine, the first wine I would store in the coolest part of the basement for many years and the most expensive item I would purchase that year!

I picked up a Wine Spectator magazine that featured tips on wine collecting. Then a 2-yr subscription. I remember finding a 6-pack of 2001 Concha y Toro Don Melchor cab at Binny’s in Chicago for $35 per bottle while on a work training. I was excited about the purchase because it was rated 95 points and cost under $50. I opened one a few weeks later, and it confirmed I made the right purchase. For the older folks, I brought the wine home as part of my carry-on!

Life events - family illnesses, a long-distance relationship, weekly work travel - pushed the wine hobby to the side. It would be another 5-6 years before the wine bug bit me again.

I joined the Wine Spectator forums and met some great people there. I initially used their website and entered a dozen or so wines I had. The software was very limited, and a forumite, in one of a topic discussion I don’t remember, suggested I check out Cellar Tracker.

The rest is history. A shout out to Deborah who initiated one of the first offlines I attended with CTers and met more fantastic people.

I can’t imagine having a more richer life experience if I had not gotten into wine. Cash poorer, yes. The memories will always remain - a bunch of dudes renting a house for the long weekend and drinking about a hundred bottles of wine, visiting Tuscany and the Rhone with friends, countless offlines, attending a live Zachys auction and trying a d’Yquem for the first time.

Although my CT scores don’t show it, these wines would be 100 pointers in retrospect:
1. 1989 Lynch Bages (Jan 2019)
2. 1989 Chateau Margaux (Aug 2017)
3. 1961 Leoville Las Cases (Jul 2016)
4. 1990 Leoville Las Cases (Mar 2020)
5. 1990 Vega Sicilia Unico (Oct 2017)
6. 1987 Vega Sicilia Unico (Mar 2020)
7. 1966 Leoville Las Cases (Aug 2017)
8. 1989 Beaucastel (Jul 2019)
9. 1993 Grange (May 2013)
10. 1990 Lafite (May 2013)
11. 1996 La Mouline (Mar 2017)
12. 1983 d’Yquem (Dec 2013)
13. 1989 Ridge MB (Jan 2017)
14. 1996 Rayas Pignan CdP(Dec 2017, May 2018)
15. 1996 Rayas CdP Reserve (Dec 2017)
16. 1984 Diamond Creek Lake (Aug 2016)
17. 2004 Didier Dagueneau Pur Sang (Nov 2010)

I am down to about 125 bottles from a peak of 300+. Half of what remains needs at least another 5 years, I think, to be in its peak window. One-quarter probably needs an additional 5 years. That’s a good number for me. I don’t live in a wine desert, and I can pick up decent daily drinkers any time.

The 3 wines I’m looking forward to tasting one day are 1) 2011 DRC La Tache, 2) 2006 Soldera Brunello Riserva, and 3) 2014 Henschke Hill of Roses.

And my number one goal for this year is to open my neighbors’ eyes and palate to fine wine and have them start their journeys. I’ve already opened a Sandeman 40-yr Tawny and a 1983 Grahams VP - both soliciting some oohs, aahs, and raised eyebrows.

< Message edited by DoubleD1969 -- 1/25/2024 5:46:25 AM >

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 12
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/25/2024 5:34:57 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

My story is quick & simple

I forgot to add the part about the first serious bottle of Burgundy I had. It was at Bern's in Tampa with my friend the Master Sommelier: 1993 Ponsot Clos de la Roche. I couldn't look back after that, and sold off a decent portion of my cellar to buy Burgundy. After some experimentation, we found we're partial to Chambolle-Musigny, next to the appellation Clos de la Roche is within (Morey-Saint Denis). This was the EXACT point in my wine journey that twisted the expense knob to 10.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 13
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/26/2024 6:12:33 PM   
khmark7

Another fan here of the Windows of the World wine book that I purchased in pharmacy school. It was my initial textbook for wine, which at the time I could not afford....just dream. Initially in college my sweetheart loved wine, so the two of use cooked dinner and would explore cheap wines from Germany, Australia & California while joking about how ignorant we were of the basics. I vaguely remember drinking a Jadot Burgundy once in college but it's quality was wasted on us....or maybe the other way around. Fast forward to after pharmacy school and my life as an "adult" i have always wanted to explore food & wine and create a cellar that I always dreamt of having. More important than the wine itself was the memories that we shared together back then and in recent years the memories with friends who enjoy the wines I've brought to gatherings.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 14
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/26/2024 7:37:51 PM   
KPB

I really like these threads! But the Cran left out the part where he tricked the Macdonald brothers into thinking he was fronting for a Philadelphia protection racket, leading to him getting the largest allocation of that wine in the country….

< Message edited by KPB -- 1/26/2024 7:38:32 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 15
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/27/2024 2:32:43 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I really like these threads! But the Cran left out the part where he tricked the Macdonald brothers into thinking he was fronting for a Philadelphia protection racket, leading to him getting the largest allocation of that wine in the country….

Hey Ken, youze ain't doing yourself no favors by runnin' your mout. One phone call and bada bing, bada boom.... no KPB no more. Capeesh?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 16
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/27/2024 8:17:05 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Hey Ken, youze ain't doing yourself no favors by runnin' your mout. One phone call and bada bing, bada boom.... no KPB no more. Capeesh?

No judge, I ain't seen nuthin.....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 17
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/27/2024 9:03:55 PM   
MindMuse

Rossodio, your post is fantastic. One of my favorite ever. My CT journey is 18 years, but my wine journey began so long ago maybe your parents hadn't even met.

I always thought you thoughtfully used our forum for many specific practical life events. "Hey, I having this for dinner with these folks this week. Here are the dishes, their preparation and sauces and accompaniments. Here are some wines I'm thinking of, but here's a link too to everything in my cellar. What bottles do you recommend?"
This is fun and engaging, as it is a window into your own life within the context of something we all ask ourselves many times. You asked us as trustworthy friends, who maybe had some useful advice. Even though maybe you'd never met any of the respondents. It's a frame of mind I like: "I value thoughtful perspective, and would appreciate if you would like to share yours."

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Post #: 18
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 1/28/2024 11:25:03 AM   
Claymonster

I have also enjoyed reading these wine journey posts. Thank you to everyone for taking the time to write them. If you'll all indulge me, I'll try to be quick with mine.

Now in my early 40s, my experience with wine is marked by starts and stops. The first start was in the early 2000s when I lived in the Basque Country for a year. Having really only drank cheap stuff on the American market up to that point, Rioja seemed like a revelation. But when that year was up and I left, I didn't return to wine for some time. I did some travelling in the late 2000s, notably to Georgia and Armenia where I rediscovered how good wine can be. Again, after that trip, wine fell off my radar. Well, that's not true. It's more accurate to say that good wine fell off my radar. I had very little disposable income and nobody in my circle of friends or family drank much wine, let alone good wine. So I drank mostly cheap Rioja for a good decade. A couple years ago, after finishing a particularly poor bottle of Crianza, my wife and I had a conversation about expanding our wine horizons and budget. We were both now working and were able to afford to take a step up on the price ladder. Still, although we said we should do it, we didn't actually follow through until after Christmas 2022. That's when my mother-in-law sent us $200 cash as a Christmas gift. We called and said thank you but that we didn't want or need the money. She replied and said consider it like a universal gift card. Go get yourself something that you wouldn't normally buy. So my wife and I agreed we would buy a really nice bottle of wine but not for immediate consumption, something for 20-25 years down the road. Properly aged wine is foreign to us. Well, we ended up getting two bottles - a 2016 Giacomo Borgogno Barolo Cannubi and 2018 Leoville Barton (we asked our one friend who has pretty decent knowledge of wine what he would buy and those were his recommendation).

It was only after we procured the wines did we realize that we probably shouldn't just put them in our unfinished basement and forget about them for decades. It can be somewhat warm down there in the summer, so I decided to make a very, very small passive cellar to hold a 15-25 bottles. That was just over a year ago. And since we had two bottles but excess capacity, and because we were expecting a nice tax return in 2023, we thought why not take the windfall and fill it up? That is when I made my first post to this board asking for recommendations for what to stick in there. I intend to go back to that thread soon and post an update.

That thread really kicked off the real journey for me. Reading the replies and following up on the recommendations, I was amazed at the collective knowledge of this community. I spent hours on CT looking up different wines, prices, etc. That hasn't really stopped. In the last year I feel as if I've increased my wine knowledge exponentially, yet I know I've only scratched the surface. I've become adventurous and curious with purchases, I've written over 100 TNs on CT, read the Wine Bible, consumed countless hours of YouTube and podcast content, participated in this most recent CT Secret Santa, and learned a ton from this community. Thank you all so much!

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 19
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/3/2024 1:15:21 PM   
lockestep

My wine journey began in 1980. I was just out of college and trying to decide what to do with life. Needing money I went back to the liquor and wine shop I had worked a few summers and took a part time job to go along with some substitute teaching. The shop had a very large wine department and wine experts to guide the clientele. I was basically schlepping cases and stocking shelves but the wine guys would let me taste whatever they were opening. I started taking notes and saving labels in a spiral notebook. It leaned to the sweeter side at first (1979 Falkenberg Flonheimer Spatlese; 1978 Alexander Valley Vineyards Chenin - though I did have the sense to dislike the Gallo Johannesburg Riesling). One day one of the owners gifted me a bottle of 1974 Mondavi Cab, and it lit the fire. Here was a wine that improved by holding on to it.

Soon the notes in my books began to fill with better reds, and my collection began to fill. BV, Jordan and Lafite (yes it was affordable back then) replaced the sweet whites. I worked my way up to the manager of the wine department, doing all the wine buys and working with collectors. Part of the job was going to the tastings. And since my store was a high volume location, the invites were quite good. My highlights were a Krug tasting at the French Embassy, a harbor cruise on the Pride of Baltimore hosted by Mumms, and the Wine Spectator Grand Experience at Windows on the World.
It was at Windows in 1991 that a double epiphany occurred. First, I tried a Burgundy that rocked my world - a Daniel Rion Vosne-Romanee Beaux-Monts. The siren was heard and I was not lashed to the mast. The second occurred a few hours later at an after party in Soho at (name drop time) Andy Worhol's loft. He had passed away three years before that, and I have no clue who owned it at the time, but the stuff I saw was amazing. And that is when I realized that with no ownership stake in a business, I was never going to be able to afford the fine dining and fine wine that I loved.

So I exited the wine world, put my education to work, and got into the world of Fortune 500 companies. Add in a wife and children, and the wine kind of back-burnered for a while. I kept a cellar but it dwindled over the years as the really good bottles came out for holidays and birthdays, and were replaced now and then. Fast forward to about 2005, when at a store tasting my wife and I ran into one of her high school friends and his wife. He had an excellent caller centered on older Bordeaux, we began doing dinners, and the fire was lit again. The cellar began to expand, from about 80 bottles up to around 200 by 2011. And I began looking for information on when to drink some of my older wines. A google search led me to this web site where people added their own reviews, and gave suggested drinking ranges. I joined up. And here we are a dozen years and many, many bottles later.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to Claymonster)
Post #: 20
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/3/2024 1:55:50 PM   
DoubleD1969

Great stories gents! Thanks for sharing.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 21
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/3/2024 2:22:57 PM   
Jenise

I've loved all these stories, so I'm going to share mine. Here goes.

My story begins in California. My earliest wine memory was Annie Green Springs in the back seat of a jacked up Chevrolet while cruising Whittier Boulevard. I was about 17.

Eventually I met my first husband, who was nine years senior, and made my first wine tasting trip to Napa Valley before I was 21. Freemark Abbey, Heitz and Sterling were my favorites. Time passed. In the E & C side of the oil business, we eventually moved to Saudi Arabia where we made our own wine out of German grape juice in 5 gallon jerry cans--each batch was 30 days from start to finish. We could only make one batch at a time due to lack of closet space so we weren't able to get very far ahead, but if you visited our little tin can trailer-house sitting on pipes three feet off the desert floor in a construction camp outside of Dhahran in October and we served you vintage April, you knew you were special. As soon as we got back to the U.S. I filed for divorce.

In my single years afterward in Newport Beach, I primarily drank white wine socially. I advanced from French Columbard to Chardonnay--in 1.5 liter bottles, natch. Hardly a geek, but among the crowd I ran with I was thought of as a snob because I would spend the extra bucks for Mondavi Woodbridge vs. other brands. My observation was that I was the only one who could tell the difference.

Then I met Bob. He funded our life and I had nothing to spend my salary on, so I lavished him with my cooking and wine from the local (Irvine, CA) Albertson's. That store had the silly habit of clearing all the 'old' vintages off the shelf to a sale bin to make room for the new stuff. And the slow sellers--Bordeaux, Burgundy and other imports--were the usual culls. I pounced on them, and my standards went way up real fast. A few months later on our honeymoon in Paris, a Client gave us a wedding gift of dinner--bill paid--at Yves St. Laurent's restaurant. I recall foie gras and duck breast with a sauce made of fresh red currants and other berries. For our wine, the sommelier chose a minerally Fontaine Gagnard Chassagne Montrachet (blanc). EPIPHANY. I lived in California, and I thought I knew Chardonnay. But I'd never experienced anything like the kaleidoscope of flavors in that white burgundy. I'd been drinking plain glass, and now I knew diamonds. I came home on fire to find out the rest of what I didn't know. (The label from that bottle, framed, hangs in my cellar today.)

A few years later we moved to Alaska where we were going to have a lot of disposable income and time on our hands on those long winter evenings to match. On the plane to Anchorage we met a guy who asked if we were into wine, and he recommended wine tastings in the back room of a local liquor store. As soon as we unpacked I signed up. The leader of those tastings, a dentist-importer who was welcomed annually for tastings at DRC just for instance, adopted me as his #1 mentee. When we moved away five years later I was president of the Denali Wine Society which held monthly tastings for 100-120 people in the ballroom of the local Sheraton. All our friends were wine people, and I had started building a cellar.

In Alaska, of all places, wine became my life and it's been my life ever since.

I'm still a Europhile. But I now live in Washington state and have an industry to help support, and for reasons we all know the gap between here and there isn't what it used to be. I buy a lot of local wine but my cellar remains about 50% old world. Currently we have 1400+ bottles but deliberately are down from a peak of around 2000. I have cycled through many favorites over the years. My usual line: depends on what I'm eating. But my current obsession is Lopez de Heredia blancs which might have a lot to do with scarcity. One thing for sure, I'll never find enough to tire of them.

< Message edited by Jenise -- 2/5/2024 11:37:31 AM >

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 22
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/3/2024 4:28:27 PM   
KPB

Jenise, what a great story! I have a friend who runs a research lab in Saudi Arabia right now. He is from Portugal, huge wine and VP drinker, and with incredible taste. His options are… not good. I’ll urge him to try your method…

But this was a really cool trajectory. Literally : Anchorage must not often be a warm place.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 23
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/3/2024 8:16:54 PM   
eyewino

Jenise - Bravo! Great story/journey.

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 24
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/4/2024 8:12:39 AM   
DoubleD1969

Excellent story Jenise! I’m not surprised with Alaska being welcoming to wine people. Great weather for making rich stews that are perfect for big bold reds.

(in reply to eyewino)
Post #: 25
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/4/2024 11:05:23 AM   
Jenise

Yes, the wine scene in Alaska was really strong. I very quickly got on the inside track with the major local retailer and all the distributors, plus Alaska's a place a lot of industry people from the lower 48 and abroad want to visit. They arrive with a suitcase full of wine and are grandly hosted--we got invited to a lot of those dinners.

I remember one night my doorbell rang and there stood Ed Selyam (of Williams Selyam) delivering my first allocation (I'd applied to the mailing list some time before and my name had finally come up. It was only two bottles but wow, personal delivery by the man himself!) Another fun memory was Dick Arrowood, an avid fisherman who regularly came up to the Kenai for king salmon. A whole bunch of us bought a whole bunch of his wines, and we'd have annual dinners to check on the progress of those bottles. We called those Dick Nights. :)

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 26
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/4/2024 12:18:29 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Another fun memory was Dick Arrowood, an avid fisherman who regularly came up to the Kenai for king salmon. A whole bunch of us bought a whole bunch of his wines, and we'd have annual dinners to check on the progress of those bottles. We called those Dick Nights. :)

It's no secret I'm an Arrowood guy. I've even hosted a few "Dick Nights" from my cellar, and have an autographed magnum of '93 Reserve Speciale. Does that make me a fan of Dick?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 27
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/4/2024 2:56:08 PM   
wine247365

Cran, we'll have to ask your boyfriend!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

Post #: 28
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/4/2024 5:20:00 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

Does he also serve a Big Bag of Dicks ( Potato Chips) ?

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 29
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/4/2024 10:40:11 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

I can vouch that Cran is a fan

< Message edited by fingers -- 2/4/2024 10:41:59 PM >

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey. Share your story! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI