CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far (very long post)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far (very long post) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/5/2024 7:48:10 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

Cran, we'll have to ask your boyfriend!

I can vouch that Cran is a fan

That's coming from a guy who's screen name is "fingers". Hmmmm, wonder how he got that moniker?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 31
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/5/2024 8:35:31 AM   
bacchus

i am putting dick tracy on the case which should put an end to this escapade into forbidden territory.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 32
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/5/2024 10:09:35 AM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: bacchus

i am putting dick tracy on the case which should put an end to this escapade into forbidden territory.

In an attempt to get back to the spirit of the OP, I’d also like to thank everyone for sharing their stories! They’re great journeys!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 33
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/6/2024 11:55:36 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

I've loved all these stories, so I'm going to share mine. Here goes.

My story begins in California. My earliest wine memory was Annie Green Springs in the back seat of a jacked up Chevrolet while cruising Whittier Boulevard. I was about 17.

Eventually I met my first husband, who was nine years senior, and made my first wine tasting trip to Napa Valley before I was 21. Freemark Abbey, Heitz and Sterling were my favorites. Time passed. In the E & C side of the oil business, we eventually moved to Saudi Arabia where we made our own wine out of German grape juice in 5 gallon jerry cans--each batch was 30 days from start to finish. We could only make one batch at a time due to lack of closet space so we weren't able to get very far ahead, but if you visited our little tin can trailer-house sitting on pipes three feet off the desert floor in a construction camp outside of Dhahran in October and we served you vintage April, you knew you were special. As soon as we got back to the U.S. I filed for divorce.

In my single years afterward in Newport Beach, I primarily drank white wine socially. I advanced from French Columbard to Chardonnay--in 1.5 liter bottles, natch. Hardly a geek, but among the crowd I ran with I was thought of as a snob because I would spend the extra bucks for Mondavi Woodbridge vs. cheaper brands. My observation was that I was the only one who could tell the difference.

Then I met Bob. He funded our life and I had nothing to spend my salary on, so I lavished him with my cooking and wine from the local (Irvine, CA) Albertson's. That store had the silly habit of drastically reducing prices on 'old' vintages to make room for the new stuff regardless of producer. And the slow sellers--Bordeaux, Burgundy and other imports--were the usual culls. I pounced on them, and my standards went way up real fast. A few months later on our honeymoon in Paris, a Client gave us a wedding gift of dinner, bill paid, at Yves St. Laurent's restaurant. I recall foie gras and duck breast with a sauce made of fresh red currants and other berries. For our wine, the sommelier chose a minerally Fontaine Gagnard Chassagne Montrachet (blanc). EPIPHANY. I lived in California, and I thought I knew Chardonnay. But I'd never experienced anything like the kaleidoscope of flavors in that white burgundy. I'd been drinking plain glass, and now I knew diamonds. I came home on fire to find out the rest of what I didn't know. (The label from that bottle, framed, hangs in my cellar today.)

A few years later we moved to Alaska where we were going to have both a lot of disposable income and time on our hands on those long winter evenings. On a flight to Anchorage we met a guy who asked if we were into wine, and he recommended wine tastings in the back room of a local liquor store. As soon as we unpacked I signed up. The leader of those tastings, a well-connected dentist-importer who was welcomed annually for tastings at DRC just for instance, adopted me as his #1 mentee. Things progressed. When we moved away five years later I was president of the Denali Wine Society which held monthly tastings for 100-120 people in the ballroom of the local Sheraton. All our friends were wine people, and I had started building a cellar.

In Alaska, of all places, wine became my life and it's been my life ever since.

I'm still a Europhile. But I now live in Washington state and have an industry to help support, and for reasons we all know the gap between here and there isn't what it used to be. I buy a lot of local wine though my cellar remains about 50% old world. Currently we have 1400+ bottles, deliberately reduced from a peak of around 2000. I have cycled through many favorites over the years. My usual line: depends on what I'm eating. But my current obsession is Lopez de Heredia blancs which might have a lot to do with scarcity. One thing for sure, I'll never find enough to tire of them.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 34
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/6/2024 2:30:08 PM   
DoubleD1969

For those who have written about their journeys, have you found your Holy Grail? For me it was the 100-pt wines (in retrospect) I mentioned. I didn’t have a specific wine I sought in the beginning of the journey, but I wanted to know what a perfect wine would be like.

Also, which wines in your cellar are you most looking forward to trying?

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 35
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/7/2024 8:36:12 AM   
Claymonster

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

For those who have written about their journeys, have you found your Holy Grail? For me it was the 100-pt wines (in retrospect) I mentioned. I didn’t have a specific wine I sought in the beginning of the journey, but I wanted to know what a perfect wine would be like.

Also, which wines in your cellar are you most looking forward to trying?

I'm still new to this so haven't found a Holy Grail yet. Will I ever? Remains to be seen but I'm certainly going to keep looking. Regarding the one in the cellar I'm most looking forward to, that'd probably be the 2019 Lynch Bages or 2011 Fonseca VP with another 25-30 years of age. Not the most expensive bottles ever, but I have very high hopes for those two.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 36
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/7/2024 10:00:36 AM   
DoubleD1969

It’s hard to go wrong with those two bottles but it will require A LOT of patience.

(in reply to Claymonster)
Post #: 37
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/9/2024 3:47:27 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

For those who have written about their journeys, have you found your Holy Grail?

Yes, if you can possibly have one from each variety. These are the producers and vintages we believe are WAY above the rest of their peers and even better than other vintages from themselves, plus are a great experience every time we open one. If I could fill my cellar with ONLY these, I would consider myself insanely lucky.

Reisling: J.J. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich, either 1983 Auslese or 2001 Spatlese.
Vin Santo: 2004 Felsina (OMG, if you've never had this with biscotti / cantucci, you just aren't desserting properly!)
Vouvray: 2002 Huet Clos du Bourg Moelleux
Sauternes: 2001 Chateau Suduiraut
Vintage Port: 1986 Graham's Malvedos (but their 1985 Vintage Port will probably surpass it in time)
Cab Sauv: 2002 Lokoya Diamond Mountain & 2001 Arrowood Reserve Speciale
Burgundy: 1993 or 2002 Ponsot Clos de la Roche, followed very closely by 1995 Ponsot Chapelle-Chambertin and 2001 Comte de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru

I think one or two of these should be open when Windy & I go to Valentine's Day dinner.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 38
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/9/2024 6:34:52 PM   
DoubleD1969

Great list Cran! Was the Felsina drunk in Italy?

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 39
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/13/2024 9:22:12 AM   
KPB

Thinking about this "wine journey" concept.... it has me wondering how to wind-down the "cellar building" part of my path through the world of amazing wines. I'm not so young, and I don't really want to have a cellar packed with bottles I'll never get around to drinking...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

Post #: 40
RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far... - 2/13/2024 3:53:44 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Great list Cran! Was the Felsina drunk in Italy?

I wish! Passyunk Avenue in South Philly mostly during restaurant week. That neighborhood is like the Little Italy of Philadelphia

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: 17 Years on CT, and my life's wine journey thus far (very long post) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI