CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Where to buy aged wine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Where to buy aged wine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 5:38:34 AM   
MB1991

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything outside of discussions if you should buy new or aged wine.

So.....what are your favorite sites to buy aged wine that seems to be reliable / reasonably priced / at least good from a retailer standpoint?

I bought a few bottles from Baron Wines, and though they sent me a wrong bottle they made it right by refunding me for their mistake while letting me keep the wrong bottle.

Benchmark wines seem to be well priced, but shipping is fairly pricey.

Someone recently said Cellaraiders was good.

Any other suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 6:02:25 AM   
DoubleD1969

What state do you live in?

Most people here use wine-searcher.com for starters.

In the past, I’ve used auctions (K&L, Zachys) and haven’t had any problems with the bottles. Some great value if you’re not chasing points or popular names. Make sure you factor in the buyer’s premium.

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 2
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 6:19:28 AM   
jmcmchi

Winebid can be useful also

Sometimes wineries sell off old stocks (at varying relation to the release price). Chateau Ste Michelle is currently offering a range of single vineyard varieties of 10+ years of age

< Message edited by jmcmchi -- 1/23/2024 6:20:15 AM >

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 6:50:20 AM   
MB1991

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

What state do you live in?

Most people here use wine-searcher.com for starters.

In the past, I’ve used auctions (K&L, Zachys) and haven’t had any problems with the bottles. Some great value if you’re not chasing points or popular names. Make sure you factor in the buyer’s premium.

North Carolina. I do use wine-searcher a good bit, problem I run into is 1 bottle is on 1 site, another is somewhere else etc. and now shipping gets tripled.

Post #: 4
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 7:05:44 AM   
DoubleD1969

Auctions are your best bet. The challenge with older bottles is that it becomes harder to find multiple bottles unless it’s Bordeaux. But they do show up.

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 5
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 7:23:07 AM   
KPB

I like Benchmark. But also sign up for mailings from Saratoga Wines and Spirits, and Wine Cellerage. Both source stuff carefully and operate with the slimmest imaginable markups, although you may need to buy six bottles for the best pricing. You won’t find ancient bottles, but you certainly would find things like 2010 Bordeaux.

I agree that for really old stuff, auction sites are best, including WineBid. But for a fancy event where a bad bottle would be a crushing letdown, a better choice is probably the Rare Wine Company, or the a Chicago Wine Company (which, by the way, is also an especially good auction house). For older Italian wines, on the west coast, I’ll add DVNO to the list. You could email to Will Nuncio there, and I bet he could find all sorts of obscure stuff for you, at fair prices.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

Post #: 6
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 10:12:09 AM   
recotte

The answer is also going to be a little different based on how "aged" you're looking for, as well as region. Finding wines from the 2000's and 2010's is going to be easier at both retail and auction than wines from the 1940's, '50's, or '60's.

Chambers Street Wines comes to mind as a retailer with a pretty good selection of older stuff. For auction, in addition to those already mentioned, also check out Hart Davis Hart and Brentwood Wine (which is the auction arm of Benchmark).

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 7
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 3:19:35 PM   
CranBurgundy

It was probably me who brought up CellaRaiders (Ben). Some good recommendations so far, of which I've used Benchmark (used to be Madeline but she left), Saratoga wine, TCWC / The Chicago Wine Company, and Hart Davis Hart. When we visit Florida, we sometimes order from Naples Fine Wine or B-21. I'll add Sokolin in NY, Belmont Wine Exchange (Susan and Stephen), and Old & Rare Wine Company (James). Sokolin has been my go-to source for my favorite Sauternes - Chateau Suduiraut.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 1/23/2024 6:18:04 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 8
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/23/2024 8:58:54 PM   
ericindc

I'll echo the others on auctions. I've found K&L auctions a good place to find pretty solid older bottles. Small lots so its a bit more expensive, but much lower buyer fees (5 or 10%). But overall, if you are looking at 1980s or older Burgundy, prepare to go hard cause I will try to crush you.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 9
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/24/2024 3:36:56 AM   
daviladc

I've been a big fan of Scott Torrance at Chap4 for a long time. I've bought about 4-5 cases of back vintage wine from him over the years and the quality of the wine has always been stellar. Almost all of the wines I've brought to the Charleston Offline have been sourced from Scott.

https://chapfour.com

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 10
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/24/2024 7:52:30 AM   
Chip Merlot

+1 on Chambers Street Wines, although the inventory is very hit or miss based on what they've picked up from estates and other sources they have. I worked down the street for a few years and was often amazed at the things that would pop up on the shelf -- and of course they'd be gone the next time I was there.

As far as finding certain labels more reliably, Winebid is excellent at that but the quality IN MY OPINION/EXPERIENCE is a roll of the dice. I've received some sublime juice from them and some that maybe didn't have the kind of storage that it allegedly had because it was undrinkable.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 11
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/24/2024 7:59:26 AM   
WineGuyCO

Saratoga Wines has tons of aged wines depending on what you consider aged.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 12
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/24/2024 9:02:22 AM   
MB1991

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

The answer is also going to be a little different based on how "aged" you're looking for, as well as region. Finding wines from the 2000's and 2010's is going to be easier at both retail and auction than wines from the 1940's, '50's, or '60's.

Chambers Street Wines comes to mind as a retailer with a pretty good selection of older stuff. For auction, in addition to those already mentioned, also check out Hart Davis Hart and Brentwood Wine (which is the auction arm of Benchmark).

Fair, I should have elaborated. Essentially, I'm looking for old world wines in their prime drinking window. Barolo's from the late 90's or 2000. Bordeaux's from 90's to mid 2000's. Rhone from the mid 2000's. I'm not looking for 1st and 2nd growth bordeaux's that are 40-50 years old or chasing unicorns. Mainly I want to truly understand some of the great varieties that need decades to hit their prime window, at reasonable price points, to learn more about them and see what makes them great.

At 32, I'm starting my wine journey and want to see where I want to invest time, and resources, and generally learn.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 13
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/24/2024 11:01:40 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: MB1991

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Fair, I should have elaborated. Essentially, I'm looking for old world wines in their prime drinking window. Barolo's from the late 90's or 2000. Bordeaux's from 90's to mid 2000's. Rhone from the mid 2000's. I'm not looking for 1st and 2nd growth bordeaux's that are 40-50 years old or chasing unicorns. Mainly I want to truly understand some of the great varieties that need decades to hit their prime window, at reasonable price points, to learn more about them and see what makes them great.

At 32, I'm starting my wine journey and want to see where I want to invest time, and resources, and generally learn.

Very cool. Definitely a great way to figure out what you're "into" as you start building your cellar now to have what you want when it's ready. Lots of great suggestions upthread for you, and you'll find plenty of wines in those age ranges. You'll find something, if not everything, you're looking for in pretty much any auction, and also have some decent success at retail.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 14
RE: Where to buy aged wine - 1/24/2024 12:13:57 PM   
skifree

I will put in a plug for Flickinger's in Chicago. I receive their daily email, and they are often buying wine from the 1990's forward from negociants. Often they are cases or half cases, but some single bottles. The prices are competitive, and they are very reliable and honest about provenance.

PM me if you want to get contact info for the sales guy I deal with.

Good hunting!

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Where to buy aged wine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI