CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa Barbara

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa Barbara Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa Barbara - 2/9/2024 5:00:12 AM   
davo22

Hi there. Going to be in the Santa Barbara area for a family event at the end of March. Taking an extra couple of days to check out some of the local producers and was thinking a day around Paso Robles and a day around Santa Barbara. Any recommendations for winery visits? My preference is small boutique producers and a more personal winery visit where someone knowledgable can discuss the wines and answer questions. Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 8:29:42 AM   
BobMilton

If you get to Los Olivos in the Santa Barbara area, visit Tercero. The owner/winemaker Larry Shaffer will talk your ear off telling you lots about how he makes his wines. Well wort the visit.

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 2
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 8:52:09 AM   
DoubleD1969

Los Olivos is less than hour away versus 2 hours to Paso. Lots of tasting rooms in Los Olivos. Just be careful driving with lots of police presence although this observation was many years ago.

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 3
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 9:06:26 AM   
Wine Grove

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...
If you are in the Los Olivos / Santa Ynez area....get yourself a reservation to eat at SY KITCHEN

Wineries in that area:

Tercero wines are great
Carhartt
Dragonette
Brewer Clifton
Story of Soil

There are so many other good ones to.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 4
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 9:29:22 AM   
braddehn

First time Paso Robles visit for wife and I last weekend. Friday was Fulldraw, which ended up being top wines for weekend. Very nice private type tasting in production facility. Saturday was all day at Tin City....started at Jacob Toft which we also enjoyed, well worth the tasting. Then Nicora and finally Levo. All tastings were sit down table based. All were very much worth the visits with Toft being top and Levo second. Quality of wine list would start with Fulldraw, then Toft, Levo, Nicora. With this stated we still purchased some good wine from Nicora.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 5
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 9:52:32 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

We visited Paso a couple years ago. https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/fb.asp?m=511373

My memory on where I'd go back are Turley and Herman Story. Both BIG wine makers, but fun tastings and locations.

Los Olivos is fun as others have mentioned. A Food recommendation near there is Industrial Eats in Buellton... https://industrialeats.com/

Santa Barbara area has some good wineries. Jaffurs is my favorite IN SB. A bit of a trek (opposite direction of Los Olivos/Paso) is Ojai. Ojai winery is in downtown, with a very eclectic feel. Good wines and good tasting.

I'd actually recommend NOT doing Paso in a 2-day window with SB as a base. It's a long hike from SB, and there is a whole lot of good winery choice closer in.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 6
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 12:19:32 PM   
Ralphs Bar

Paso is quite a ways north of Santa Barbara wine country so factor in at least a 2 hour drive each direction. Is it worth it? That depends on what wine you want to try.

In Santa Barbara proper (city rather than Santa Ynez Valley) a few of my favorite spots are Whitcraft Wines (booking ahead required), Carr, and Au Bon Climat. Lots of other tasting rooms to choose from, Melville, Samsara, and Grassini are also good.

Happy to proffer dining recommendations in town as well :)

In Santa Ynez, I highly recommend Tercero, Kaena and also Future Perfect (for their methode champenoise).

< Message edited by Ralphs Bar -- 2/9/2024 12:20:02 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 7
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 1:14:16 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove

I've said it once, and I'll say it again...
If you are in the Los Olivos / Santa Ynez area....get yourself a reservation to eat at SY KITCHEN

And I can second this, having been there last October.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 8
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/9/2024 1:28:51 PM   
wine247365

If you use the Search function at the top, you can find additional info in other previous threads. Happy Hunting!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 9
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/10/2024 8:47:36 AM   
daviladc

In Passo, we loved Linne Calodo.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 10
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/10/2024 11:00:42 PM   
davo22

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralphs Bar

Paso is quite a ways north of Santa Barbara wine country so factor in at least a 2 hour drive each direction. Is it worth it? That depends on what wine you want to try.

In Santa Barbara proper (city rather than Santa Ynez Valley) a few of my favorite spots are Whitcraft Wines (booking ahead required), Carr, and Au Bon Climat. Lots of other tasting rooms to choose from, Melville, Samsara, and Grassini are also good.

In Santa Ynez, I highly recommend Tercero, Kaena and also Future Perfect (for their methode champenoise).

Yes aware it's a couple of hours north of SB. If I do go to PR I'll do an overnight stay there. Thanks

(in reply to Ralphs Bar)
Post #: 11
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/12/2024 4:04:30 PM   
prasm

In Los Olivos I would recommend Liquid Farm and Holus Bolus in addition to the previously mentioned Dragonette and Story of Soil. It's also worthwhile visiting the Lompoc Wine Ghetto (https://explorelompoc.com/lompoc-wine-ghetto/), about 25 miles west of Los Olivos. There are some nice wineries there including Sandhi (Rajat Parr), Chanin, and Pali.

If you want to visit actual wineries in SRH there are also dozens of other options. Ones I've been to and recommend include: Babcock, Melville, Sanford, Tyler, The Hilt, and Domaine De La Cote.

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 12
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/12/2024 4:23:25 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: davo22

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralphs Bar

Yes aware it's a couple of hours north of SB. If I do go to PR I'll do an overnight stay there. Thanks

btw, what style of wine do you prefer?

If big, proto-typical PR high octane wines...Herman Story, Epoch, Law Estates (big but balanced and sexy),

For wines trying to have a bit more finesse, try RN Estate, Denner, L'Aventure, Clos Solene, Tablas Creek (responsible for Rhone variety expansion in Cali), Justin (Bdx style) and a new one I just tried last month, which is Copia. They were nicely balanced, acidic, and fresh...definitely more old world and with their new owners, their price is more attractive. Will also suggest another new one, which is Guymar who's been there ~25 years and exclusively dry farms his vines. He's a grower/maker so can also provide great perspectives on the entire wine making process. His prices were attractive and the tasting was done at the dining table in his home, as Roger at RN does. Has two Newfoundland dogs too! Look those up as I'd never seen one before!!! Highly recommended! Guyomar is about 1/2 mile beyond the Turley tasting room, which I think has already been mentioned. They've been in business for many years and have amassed vineyards across the state. They make great wines and their Juvenile or Old Vine zins are no-brainer purchases every year for summer barbecues. Off the charts QPRs. Two other fun tastings in DTPR are the Justin tasting room and LXV (yes, do the cheese & spice pairing and they may stay open until 7 pm!) Happy Hunting!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 13
RE: Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa B... - 2/16/2024 3:05:16 AM   
diphthong

Frankly, there are enough great wineries and plenty to eat/drink in the Santa Ynez Valley that Paso Robles would need to/should be a separate, 2 day trip.
Good stuff in Paso but, imho, Santa Ynez/Santa Maria Valleys offer just a bit more variety. Plus, less driving for you and more grub and grog! Realize I'm leaving out dozens of wineries but some faves off of the top of the head: Jonata, The Ojai Vineyard, Voyz'n, Foxen, Walson Holland, Storm, Andrew Murray, Tatomer and Tyler.

< Message edited by diphthong -- 2/16/2024 3:06:35 AM >

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Winery Visit recommendations - Paso Robles, Santa Barbara Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI