CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/27/2024 8:08:15 PM   
Eduardo787

I dont know if this is the greatest thing since sliced bread or one extra gadget that will be great for a few weeks and then gone to the garage.

Any opinions ? SOme of you are great cooks !

https://seergrills.com/

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/27/2024 10:13:41 PM   
nwinther

This AI-marketing gimmick is getting out of hand.
Everything is "AI" now. Basically just repacked "E-" whatever.

Just because you put in an IC does't make it AI.

I feel like your first instinct is correct. Garage spacefiller.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 8:28:03 AM   
KPB

I need one of these!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 3
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 8:51:36 AM   
DoubleD1969

haha ... garage filler for sure

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 4
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 8:58:39 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Yard sale within a month. We have just about every indoor and outdoor cooking appliance on the market, and this one would never get used, looks cheap, like an $80 microwave (which is one we don't actually own any more).

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 9:29:36 AM   
fingers

But Chris, it's $900 off!

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 10:34:10 AM   
recotte

I am not the least bit opposed to innovation in cooking. That said, for me, cooking, including and perhaps especially grilling, is a hobby, something I derive pleasure from, both the art and action of the activity and the end result. Not to mention the social aspect of standing around a grill flipping burgers and drinking beer with friends. This device takes that away. I'm no longer cooking, I'm pushing buttons.

Assuming this thing actually works as advertised, I suppose it's great for people who just want to push the buttons and have their food. Not my jam.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 7
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 1:12:12 PM   
Blue Shorts

I remember when the Air Fryer craze started. A buddy of mine looked at me and said......."looks like a marketing breakthrough to sell convection ovens"

I think that this device will be at garage sales all over America.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 8
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 1:38:02 PM   
grizzlymarmot

*Like with any grill, avoid Perfecta™ in wet or snowy conditions.

Weather rarely stops me from outdoor cooking.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 9
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 2:00:44 PM   
KPB

Looks unsafe for indoor use, too!

Ken Birman

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 10
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 2:05:28 PM   
Eduardo787

I read with interest all your responses. I have to confess that I like the idea mostly because it seems extremely convenient. Imagine coming from work and you put there a fat juicy ribeye prime from Costco and in 2 minutes you are enjoying it ! I have 2 grills in my house, one is an infrared grill the other one is an Argentinian churrasqueria style charcoal grill. Purists always say that gas grills are for city slickers while real bbq is with charcoal. Both grills have their use in my house but at 100f I dont want to fire up a charcoal grill so I prefer and use much more the infrared. This gadget seems to take cooking to another level, the level that it is faster to cook a steak than to make a sandwich ! I would love to buy one but at $2,600 with discount included its a little bit expensive. If it were $1,500 I would jump in and say what the heck, but $2600 is not pocket change.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 11
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 2:21:19 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Not sure I understand the desire to grill a steak in 2 minutes, regardless of appliance. We almost always have a potato or other veggie and a salad with a grilled steak. The potato bake is the constant time element, 50 minutes at 450 F. Our Weber gas grill can get to 500 F in about 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak, 5-7 minutes on each side, a 5 minute rest, and a perfect medium rare steak is ready. So 20 minutes at the last half of the potato bake, make the salad during the first half, and it works to hit the plate at the same time. Takes an hour, which includes a beer or first glass of wine. You can rush the potato by using a microwave, but like I said above, we don't have one of those.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 12
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 2:31:44 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Imagine coming from work and you put there a fat juicy ribeye prime from Costco and in 2 minutes you are enjoying it

It does sound great, but I'll wait for some independent reviews. All I can find are the claims from the manufacturer.

2 minutes sounds unreasonable for a thick steak. Heck, it takes more time than that for the steak to settle before you can even cut it. But even 4 or 5 minutes to cook is very fast...another 4 or 5 to settle. I'm also interested in what is required to clean and maintain that grill.

IF you do get it, please write back to let us know what you think.

Edit: I went back to the Seergrill site and noticed some things that were missing from their descriptions:

They say that it cooks a thick steak in under 2 minutes, but no mention about the actual thickness of the steak. I consider a "thick" steak, to be 1-1/2 - 2 " thick. The video shows a steak that appears to be under 3/4 inch.

There is no mention of any warranty

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 2/28/2024 3:29:18 PM >

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 13
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 3:03:16 PM   
eyewino

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I am not the least bit opposed to innovation in cooking. That said, for me, cooking, including and perhaps especially grilling, is a hobby, something I derive pleasure from, both the art and action of the activity and the end result. Not to mention the social aspect of standing around a grill flipping burgers and drinking beer with friends. This device takes that away. I'm no longer cooking, I'm pushing buttons.

Assuming this thing actually works as advertised, I suppose it's great for people who just want to push the buttons and have their food. Not my jam.

^^This^^

Well said! I'm with you, Recotte!

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 14
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/28/2024 7:37:27 PM   
WineGuyCO

Zero chance. My Ooni gets to 950 degrees F and if I wanted could cook a steak in it but don’t need to cook a steak that hot. Nor am I interested in a $3500 anything. Seems just another high priced gimmick.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 15
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/29/2024 4:02:22 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts
I remember when the Air Fryer craze started. A buddy of mine looked at me and said......."looks like a marketing breakthrough to sell convection ovens"

I think that this device will be at garage sales all over America.

Air fryers are qualitatively different from fan ovens, in that the fan is much more powerful. And that makes an important difference.

At least in this country, people who get them mostly seem to use to them and be pleased with them. I was actually recommending my father get one, given he lives alone and his oven is broken.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 16
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/29/2024 4:18:01 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Zero chance. My Ooni gets to 950 degrees F and if I wanted could cook a steak in it but don’t need to cook a steak that hot. Nor am I interested in a $3500 anything. Seems just another high priced gimmick.

I have discovered that I want the interior of my steak to get to 58C. Not 55C, that's too uncooked and tough and bloody for me. Not 61C, that's overcooked. Achieving that on a grill or in a frying pan is a skill that is beyond me. I learned that number from cooking steak sous-vide at various temperatures. And realising how difficult it would be for me to have the judgement to cook it just right like that is why I will continue to cook my steak sous-vide, and sear it in the pan after.

Even those of you who would like their interior steak to be cooked to a lower or higher temperature than I like it, you have the same issue. It's very difficult to cook it to just that right temperature on a grill or pan. It's a difficult judgement when it will be just right. And probably even more difficult on a very high temperature grill or pan, as it will cook much faster and probably now the difference between undercooked and overcooked in the middle is a very small number of seconds.

I suspect that if I could sear my sous-vide cooked steak at a very high temperature and very briefly, that would be good. But if I was to get some very high temperature device, my priority would be a pizza oven. I make pizza regularly, but eat steak on only a handful of occasions in the year.

My sous-vide technique is something I've not read in a book - I use multiple temperatures. I put steak in 56 C and leave it for 4-8 hours, and then turn it up to 58 C for just the last hour. Because I want the tenderisation that comes from a more extended period of being at temperature. But not the kind of over-tenderisation that comes from an extended period at 58 C. While also wanting the degree of done-ness that comes from the interior being at 58C. That is also my technique with leg of lamb, haunch of venison, etc. Venison - at least from the small kinds of deer we get locally - is very tender and turns to paste remarkably quickly with any prolonged time at just 58C. I've also had that with leg of lamb. But I might give that nearer 2 hours at 58 to finish it off.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 17
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/29/2024 4:45:19 PM   
WineGuyCO

I have two Meater digital thermometers and my steaks come out perfect everytime. Anything else I cook comes out perfect too. I usually pan fry my steaks in a Loge cast iron pan to give it an amazing sear on both sides. Sometimes finish in oven and sometimes just finish in the Loge. I make a variety of sauces to go with the steaks…Green Peppercorn, Gorgonzola, Bernaise etc. Meater is a life changer. Not sure what a super high heat source accomplishes really. Other than cooking faster.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 18
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/29/2024 6:23:06 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

quote:

I have discovered that I want the interior of my steak to get to 58C. Not 55C, that's too uncooked and tough and bloody for me. Not 61C, that's overcooked. Achieving that on a grill or in a frying pan is a skill that is beyond me. I learned that number from cooking steak sous-vide at various temperatures. And realising how difficult it would be for me to have the judgement to cook it just right like that is why I will continue to cook my steak sous-vide, and sear it in the pan after.

Even those of you who would like their interior steak to be cooked to a lower or higher temperature than I like it, you have the same issue. It's very difficult to cook it to just that right temperature on a grill or pan. It's a difficult judgement when it will be just right. And probably even more difficult on a very high temperature grill or pan, as it will cook much faster and probably now the difference between undercooked and overcooked in the middle is a very small number of seconds.

I suspect that if I could sear my sous-vide cooked steak at a very high temperature and very briefly, that would be good. But if I was to get some very high temperature device, my priority would be a pizza oven. I make pizza regularly, but eat steak on only a handful of occasions in the year.

My sous-vide technique is something I've not read in a book - I use multiple temperatures. I put steak in 56 C and leave it for 4-8 hours, and then turn it up to 58 C for just the last hour. Because I want the tenderisation that comes from a more extended period of being at temperature. But not the kind of over-tenderisation that comes from an extended period at 58 C. While also wanting the degree of done-ness that comes from the interior being at 58C. That is also my technique with leg of lamb, haunch of venison, etc. Venison - at least from the small kinds of deer we get locally - is very tender and turns to paste remarkably quickly with any prolonged time at just 58C. I've also had that with leg of lamb. But I might give that nearer 2 hours at 58 to finish it off.

A friend of mine is a chef that has mastered the use of SV in his restaurant. He even wrote the local rules for SV use for the county department of health.

I'll ask him if a 2 hour change in temp would be enough time to make a difference and report back. I love the idea and it sounds like something I'd like to try myself.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 19
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/29/2024 6:39:54 PM   
WineGuyCO

The problem I have with SV is eventually you have to sear the meat after SV. So what temp do you SV first? Because searing after SV cooks the meat more. I’m sure those who use SV for meat can tell you. Temperature done temps are what they are regardless of whether you SV or cook the meat to temp using a digital thermometer. I have a SV but don’t use it for meat. Maybe it makes it more tender? Don’t know. Most high end steak houses use high heat infared burners, not SV. I’d like to know the advantage of SV if any.

< Message edited by WineGuyCO -- 2/29/2024 6:41:32 PM >

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 20
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/29/2024 7:00:06 PM   
daviladc

Here is the chart used at the restaurant. His steaks are SV and then seared in a scorching hot plancha, with the exception of the dry aged steaks. Those are not cooked SV.

Searing the meat is only 90 seconds to 2 minutes at high heat. It doesn't overcook the meat in that timeframe.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 21
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 2/29/2024 7:08:52 PM   
daviladc

The prime rib was cooked SV. The ribeye was not.

You can see the "bullseye" on the steak cooked over high heat from Le Bon Georges.

Meanwhile the prime rib was seared on my Lynx at 900° after SV to the perfect temp and there is no overcooked edge.

< Message edited by daviladc -- 2/29/2024 7:10:31 PM >

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 22
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 3:40:34 AM   
mutwonmax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

I dont know if this is the greatest thing since sliced bread or one extra gadget that will be great for a few weeks and then gone to the garage.

Any opinions ? SOme of you are great cooks !

https://seergrills.com/

In my opinion it's only a matter of time until somebody hooks this thing up to the internet and it finds a way to grill for us all!

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 23
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 9:50:41 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

You can see the "bullseye" on the steak cooked over high heat from Le Bon Georges.

Dinner at daviladc's!!!!!!

Seriously, that is some great looking food. You even salted the potato.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 24
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 9:53:43 AM   
sastewart

I Sous Vide my steaks for 2.5 hours at 128 degrees then sear mine for 30 seconds a side. Perfect every time.

(in reply to mutwonmax)
Post #: 25
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 10:31:48 AM   
KPB

Visiting my sister, who just got told to eat low fiber for a week or two. This thread has me planning one of our dinners!

Ken Birman

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 26
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 11:14:17 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

I Sous Vide my steaks for 2.5 hours at 128 degrees then sear mine for 30 seconds a side. Perfect every time.

Every time! Fool proof!

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 27
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 11:17:32 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

quote:

Dinner at daviladc's!!!!!!

Seriously, that is some great looking food. You even salted the potato.

Just say when!

PS: Olive oil rubbed with French grey sea salt, wrapped in foil and then baked. 🤌

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 28
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 1:48:25 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

Is there some textural advantage to doing this other than cooking to a perfect temperature? It takes longer for sure. I guess I’ll just need to try it sometime.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 29
RE: SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? - 3/1/2024 6:34:40 PM   
daviladc

quote:

quote:

Is there some textural advantage to doing this other than cooking to a perfect temperature? It takes longer for sure. I guess I’ll just need to try it sometime.

The meat is more tender because fat renders at 128° and the longer it's at 128° the more it will render. Compared to direct heat cooking, the outside (gray area) is at 140 to get the center to be 128. That is what I'm trying to show with my picture above showing the bullseye. Cooking that way, the center is at 128° for only a short period of time and the fat never renders, never allowing the meat fibers to soften.

< Message edited by daviladc -- 3/1/2024 6:35:28 PM >

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> SEER Grills....is this awesome or what ??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI