CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/8/2024 3:30:37 PM   
WineGuyCO

I’m in the process of building back my Barolo wine inventory and have been out of it for quite some time. Since 98,99 and then 05,07 were my last purchases years ago. My favorite ones back then were Aldo Conterno Cicalas in 05 & 07. They were more Medium bodied but layered with flavor and nuance.

I bought some 15 Azelia San Rocco recently and it’s really a lightweight Barolo. Nothing wrong with it but I’m looking for more structured wines or Medium body with lots of nuance.

Many newer wines are modern so there is that. I bought some Elio Grasso Gavarini Chiniera & E Pira Chiara Bochis Mosconi but honestly have no idea what either will be since they are pre-order and have never tried. I am loving my 15 Produttori Riserva Barbarescos I bought but looking for more structure. Grazie per i tuoi consigli. Burlotto is out of my price range.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.
Post #: 1
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/9/2024 3:49:32 AM   
khmark7

Barolo is a region lacking in my cellar, and they are wonderful with some age on them. As I shift away from modern Bordeaux this is an area I should explore. Sorry i can't be of any help here.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 2
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/9/2024 7:26:19 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO
Many newer wines are modern so there is that. I bought some Elio Grasso Gavarini Chiniera & E Pira Chiara Bochis Mosconi but honestly have no idea what either will be since they are pre-order and have never tried. I am loving my 15 Produttori Riserva Barbarescos I bought but looking for more structure. Grazie per i tuoi consigli. Burlotto is out of my price range.

I haven’t had the Paolo Scavino Rocche dell'Annunziata Riserva in a long time, but the 1996 at Year 15-20 (not exactly sure) was terrific. Definitely made in the modern style and concentrated. I’ve had the 2014 Elio Grasso and Chiara Bochis which are also modern style, as you have noted, but definitely less intense than the Rocche dell'Annunziata Riserva from my recollection.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 3
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/9/2024 9:35:37 PM   
jmc167

I am a new comer to the world of Barolo as well, but if I am understanding your ask WineGuyCO, I would recommend looking at tasting notes for the following:

Burzi Barolo Vecchie Viti Capalot - I tasted at the estate in November of last year this may be a bit on the high side at just under 100 a bottle in he US, but you may want to explore some of the other Burzi as well. I remember them all as being well structured.

Luigi Pira Barolo Margheria - Also from the November 2023 trip, another well-made Barolo that definitely lets you know what is in your mouth.

Fratelli Alessandria Barolo del Comune di Verduno - I find this to be a great Barolo value, and urge you to try it, but it may not be as big as you are looking for.

La Spinetta
- As you mentioned, this is a modern producer, but if you are looking for big, here is where you will find it

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 4
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/10/2024 7:57:40 PM   
WineGuyCO

Alessandria is on my list. I’m afraid that I’ll just need to try 10-12 producers myself to figure it out. Such is usually the case with wine folks.

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 5
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/11/2024 10:10:30 AM   
daviladc

I was in Barolo with our Italian wine importer and chef/owner friend 18 months ago and spent quite a bit of time going between the old school and newer style.

Old school would be the use of neutral oak. Where the new style is all new French oak.

I wouldn't say the new style of La Spinetta is more extracted. It's just more oak forward and MASSIVE tannins. We tasted through their new releases and you needed a crystal ball to guess where that wine would end up in 10+ years because it's not approachable now. We couldn't see how adding it to a restaurant list would be helpful as it would take years to cool down the oak on the nose.

As for the color of La Spinetta, it was consistent with the old school producer we also visited, Sordo. In addition , I wouldn't say the fruit of either wine was bigger as well. The main difference was the astringency of the oak used.

In the end, we decided to go with Sordo because it was 1000% more approachable in the restaurant setting in the near term as compared to La Spinetta. That said, you may not look for wines in the same way we were. But, this type of side by side really opened my eyes to the differences between new vs old style practices in Barolo.

That said, I do have La Spinetta from 04, 05 and 06 that is drinking well right now but I wouldn't even look at or touch the 14's and 15's I have. If I'm buying La Spinetta now, it has to be back vintages or hold for 15+ years.

Meanwhile I've got 2013's from Sordo that are spectacular right now. We even opened a 1999 Sordo Gabutti Riserva at the last Charleston off-line that had tons of structure and acidity in spite of the use of only neutral oak.

I hope you guys have as much fun as I did finding out what you like!

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 6
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/11/2024 10:45:06 AM   
thesternowl

Elio Grasso was mentioned above as being modern; they are not. Aside from their Roncöt Riserva, which does see some French barrique, their other Barolo's have long macerations and are aged in botti grande. They are delicious though.

Otherwise, as some have said, it might be worth trying La Spinetta or maybe Elio Altare or Aldo Conterno.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 7
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/12/2024 7:21:36 AM   
WineGuyCO

Just bought 6-2015 Fratelli Alessandria San Lorenzo di Verduno Barolo to try. Pre order from Saratoga so won’t be here until Summer sometime. A new Producer in my Barolo adventure.

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 8
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/12/2024 5:24:19 PM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

Elio Grasso was mentioned above as being modern; they are not. Aside from their Roncöt Riserva, which does see some French barrique, their other Barolo's have long macerations and are aged in botti grande. They are delicious though.

Thanks for the correction!

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 9
RE: Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers - 3/13/2024 6:41:03 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Just bought 6-2015 Fratelli Alessandria San Lorenzo di Verduno Barolo to try. Pre order from Saratoga so won’t be here until Summer sometime. A new Producer in my Barolo adventure.

I really like this producer. They sort of straddle traditional and modern though they lean a bit more towards the traditional.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Big, Bold & Extracted Barolo Producers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI