CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 1:40:05 PM   
CranBurgundy

Graeme MacDonald is the winemaker, and the plot is the former Thorevilos vineyard near Howell Mountain and St. Helena now called Ecotone. How can you go wrong? Roy Piper even recommended joining this mailing list, so of course I did! Allocations went live earlier. At first, I bought the 3 pack. Then after thinking about it, I went back for another 3 pack. Unfortunately, the 1.5L mags were gone by then, but I have high hopes (Hey Bob....notice I didn't say "fingers crossed"?) for one on my Wish List.

Anybody else on the new bandwagon?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23
Post #: 1
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 1:41:53 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Ecotone. How can you go wrong?
The gloves don't fit?

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 2
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 1:47:44 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche
The gloves don't fit?

Then you must acquit.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 1:53:47 PM   
KPB

I decided the price is beyond my comfort zone!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

Post #: 4
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 2:33:19 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I decided the price is beyond my comfort zone!

....aaaaaaand Ken is going to pass on the next MacDonald, which will result in him kicking himself.

....then PMing me if I would swap a bottle with him once the FOMO hits in full force.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 2:42:46 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Graeme MacDonald is the winemaker, and the plot is the former Thorevilos vineyard near Howell Mountain and St. Helena now called Ecotone. How can you go wrong? Roy Piper even recommended joining this mailing list, so of course I did! Allocations went live earlier. At first, I bought the 3 pack. Then after thinking about it, I went back for another 3 pack. Unfortunately, the 1.5L mags were gone by then, but I have high hopes (Hey Bob....notice I didn't say "fingers crossed"?) for one on my Wish List.

Anybody else on the new bandwagon?

I hope you're high too, Dennis

Post #: 6
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 10:16:18 PM   
Hollowine

Gotta love all of the CT duplicates already. You'd think by now winemakers would "seed the batch" to ensure specificity in the original entries.

Infinite Monkey theorem 2.0...if you had an infinite number of monkeys with Chromebooks and scarce allocations...

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 7
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/12/2024 10:53:01 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Infinite Monkey theorem 2.0...if you had an infinite number of monkeys with Chromebooks and scarce allocations...

Wait a sec..... are you saying Shakespeare is on the 001 mailing list?

EDIT: If William Shakespeare was still alive, he'd certainly use a MacBook Pro.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 3/12/2024 10:54:25 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 8
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 5:58:00 AM   
brettlaurvick

I thought pricing was fair. Better than I anticipated. The shipping though…another story. $57 for a 3 pack via UPS Ground. FedEx was a little better but our FedEx is not good with wine

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 9
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 9:49:12 AM   
Scott W

Thought about it for a minute but Galloni's note about it being a tannic beast needing time plus my old age decided not to purchase. Will keep buying Macdonald tho

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 10
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 12:15:18 PM   
wine247365

Seriously thought about, then checked my cellar and I have 36 '19 Napa Cabs and 46 of the '18's. Need to not buy any of those vintages!!!

I liked how they priced it fairly though, especially in light of the many and often significant price increases across the Napa Cab price spectrum. Will most likely buy their '21's when released.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

Post #: 11
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 3:08:41 PM   
BRR

With respect, how is $225 per bottle with a 3-pack minimum, "Fairly priced?" That seems awfully high to me. Yes, there is a superstar winemaker working with fruit from a supposedly good vineyard but, to me, $225 for a wine with no track record whatsoever isn't fairly priced.

Cheers!

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 12
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 4:37:15 PM   
wine247365

With respect, that's a fair retort. My "fairly priced" thoughts were along the lines of "superstar winemaker" making an equivalent wine. Yes, with it being the inaugural release it is a punt, but my guess is that he'd want to continue earning that classification with this next venture. If he does, I'd expect the $225 per price to increase after a few years. The 3-pack requirement doesn't bother me as it seems more common than less with "better" wines.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 13
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 5:22:58 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

With respect, how is $225 per bottle with a 3-pack minimum, "Fairly priced?"

Let's count the ways.....
The hottest Winemaker in Napa (Graeme MacDonald)
One of the most successful and respected names in the wine industry overseeing the vineyard (Jack Bittner)
A high end vineyard (Ecotone) that produces grapes which were harvested for $450 bottles from the last brand (Abreu)

If that doesn't convince you, then look at the prices of MacDonald Cab. When I got my first allocation, it was $150 per 750ml bottle. It's now up to $195 a bottle. You'd be extremely hard pressed to find a bottle from any vintage under $600 on the secondary market. Many sell for a hundred or two more.

Lastly, look at the price of some other ultra high end Napa Cabs and this becomes a bargain.

Oh, and if you know who Roy Piper is, then you know his recommendation means quite a lot.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

.... to me, $225 for a wine with no track record whatsoever isn't fairly priced.

But there is a track record with all the separate factors in this equation: the vineyard producing great grapes in Abreu's Thorevilos bottling, and the viniculturist producing great wines for several popular brands including Ovid and Cliff Lede, plus the winemaker producing great wine for MacDonald and Blankiet. Do the math here and $225 is a bargain. I don't jump on many bandwagons, but this is a no-brainer. I'd be willing to bet that by the second or third release, these bottles will be more than double their mailing list price on the secondary market. Anyone wanna wager against me?

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 3/13/2024 5:24:41 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 14
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 5:56:33 PM   
CranBurgundy

One other thing: MacDonald Cab was a greater risk because Graeme wasn't known as a winemaker, just a third generation grape farmer. He proved himself by risking his family's name on the bottle, using grapes from a Napa-equivalent First Growth vineyard that he could have sold for thousands of dollars. Here he is making wine from grapes sourced at another First Growth vineyard, with established his skills, and people are saying it's a risk? I don't get it. If you did the math from the equation in my last post, they could easily charge $300+ per bottle and people would pay it.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Post #: 15
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 7:15:02 PM   
brettlaurvick

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

One other thing: MacDonald Cab was a greater risk because Graeme wasn't known as a winemaker, just a third generation grape farmer. He proved himself by risking his family's name on the bottle, using grapes from a Napa-equivalent First Growth vineyard that he could have sold for thousands of dollars. Here he is making wine from grapes sourced at another First Growth vineyard, with established his skills, and people are saying it's a risk? I don't get it. If you did the math from the equation in my last post, they could easily charge $300+ per bottle and people would pay it.

You forgot to add only 307 cases produced.

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 16
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/13/2024 7:34:32 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: brettlaurvick

You forgot to add only 307 cases produced.

Which is even less than MacDonald's roughly 500-ish cases recently (except for 2020).

Maybe I'll go wish list a few cases so Ken can get all hot under the collar a few years in the future when he can't get his hands on any and I've got so much I'm brushing my teeth with it.

Just kidding Ken! Luv ya brother!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 17
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/14/2024 7:45:17 AM   
KPB

Actually, I passed because of Antonio’s review, not just the price point. I buy other wines at that price. And my age, too… will just have to live with my choice…

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

Post #: 18
RE: 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! - 3/14/2024 9:23:08 AM   
BRR

Touched a sensitive spot, eh Cran?

I get what you're saying and, obviously, I am and was already aware of all that you cite. I guess it's relative. I just don't see how "bargain" can enter the vernacular when there is really outstanding wine for quite a bit less. Furthermore, using secondary market prices is moot because, let's face it, you and I aren't going to sell wine like this. Who cares what some sap pays for it on the secondary market?

Fairly priced among its peers? I guess, sure.

Cheers!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 001 Vintners inaugural release is LIVE! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI