CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 8:18:12 AM   
Wine Grove

Anyone have any great experience recommendations for the wineries in the STA RITA HILLS from a visit/tasting perspective?

I'm thinking about going to THE HILT when we go into town. Or Melville. Has anyone visited either of those, or have a strong recommendation?
Post #: 1
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 9:15:29 AM   
jmcmchi

Definitely Melville

Dragonette (unless my geography is wrong)

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 2
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 10:25:31 AM   
Jenise

Have you had The Hilt wines or are you going off of something you've heard? They call it that for a reason--it's well-named. Not intending offense, but if that's the style of pinot you prefer then you wouldn't like most of my recommendations.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 3
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 10:30:43 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

Definitely Melville

Dragonette (unless my geography is wrong)

This is my short list too, along with Ojai, not sure what the geography looks like either for visits/tastings. Dragonette tasting room is in Los Olivos, Ojai is in... Ojai.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 4
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 10:37:26 AM   
BRR

My wife and I had a great tasting at Melville. I remember excellent stemware, too, which is nice. Additionally, they make a very good Syrah in a sea of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, so the change-up is nice.

Cheers!

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 5
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 11:59:57 AM   
vinorog

Been a while but had mixed experiences with Melville wines, although their tasting room staff are very nice. Suggest a trip up 101 to Los Olivos, a cute little village with several very good wine tasting rooms, e.g. Stolpman for one.

Roger

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 6
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 2:22:13 PM   
Wine Grove

We've been all around the valley a bunch through wineries and tasting rooms in Los olivos, buelton, SY, etc, but have never done the actual Santa rosa road and Sta Rita Hills AVA and vineyard visits. Just looking through maps, wineries, reviews, CT reviews of said wineries' wines, etc, my research led me to Melville (I've had their wines) and Hilt (have not had their wines and that includes Jonata), those two both jumped out but I'm open to other suggestios.

(in reply to vinorog)
Post #: 7
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/15/2024 6:28:35 PM   
KPB

Vinous has a nice article on that area, from two years ago.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 8
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/16/2024 8:17:15 PM   
WineGuyCO

Foxen & Foxen 7200.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 9
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 3/18/2024 9:13:40 AM   
nebhc

Would second the Dragonette recommendation. It was in an urban garage environment, but nice people and good wine tasting.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 10
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 4/15/2024 2:57:41 PM   
bularry

If you can do a Stolpman tasting on their property, it is really fantastic. Not sure how often they do those, but last time I was in the area they were offering them on the weekends I think. A pretty amazing property to tour and see all the various things they are doing in their vineyards.

I'm sure Hilt is a good experience, but I'm pretty neutral on their wines. I think there are many superior in the area, but of course that's a matter of preference

(in reply to vinorog)
Post #: 11
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 4/16/2024 3:12:08 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: bularry

If you can do a Stolpman tasting on their property, it is really fantastic.

Have to second the idea of stopping at Stolpman.

We did their in-town tasting & they instantly won us over. Each wine we had was better than the last.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to bularry)
Post #: 12
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 4/16/2024 5:52:50 PM   
Wine Grove

Appreciate the Stolpman recommendation, I will definitely look into that. Trying to nail down the idea for tasting(s) , committed to physically visiting the STA Rita Hills AVA (Versus tasting rooms in Los Olivos or Buelton, etc).

We will be hitting SY kitchen and the Brothers @ Red Barn for the dinners.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 13
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 4/17/2024 6:03:56 PM   
bularry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove

Appreciate the Stolpman recommendation, I will definitely look into that. Trying to nail down the idea for tasting(s) , committed to physically visiting the STA Rita Hills AVA (Versus tasting rooms in Los Olivos or Buelton, etc).

We will be hitting SY kitchen and the Brothers @ Red Barn for the dinners.

I really liked SY Kitchen but my favorite meals in the greater area were Bar le Cote, Industrial Eats and Bread of Life for a unique experience. Have fun!

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 14
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 4/18/2024 4:23:48 PM   
prasm

My wife and I visited both The Hilt and Melville last year around this time. Both poured nice wines, but I found The Hilt to be a little more uppity and stuffy. Melville was one of the best experiences we had during our week long visit. If you go to Melville, it might be worth visiting their next-door neighbor Babcock. It's very down to earth and their wines are pretty good also.

As others have already noted Dragonette is great also. You can make a reservation at either there tasting room in Los Olivos or their winery in Buellton. We did both. It's a little less formal at the winery but we did get the opportunity to meet and talk with owners John and Steve Dragonette during our cellar visit. I highly recommend spending at least a day visiting the tasting rooms in Los Olivos. Besides Dragonette, recommendations there include Liquid Farm, Holus Bolus, and Stolpman - all are within a stones throw of each other. There are at least another two dozen tasting rooms in town, many of which we visited and none of which I would recommend you avoid.

One place we didn't make it to that's still on our list is the Wine Ghetto in Lompoc. There are over 20 wineries there including Raj Parr's Sandhi. Two other wineries we visited in SRH that I recommend are Tyler and, of course, Sanford & Benedict.

Have fun there, it's my favorite wine region to visit in the U.S.

(in reply to bularry)
Post #: 15
RE: Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences - 4/20/2024 7:42:26 AM   
maliblue

Live Santa Rita Hills. A couple of tasting experiences that are cool/memorable and have good wine…Pence and Babcock. Eating in the area Industrial Eats in Buellton or Hitching Post II. Enjoy

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sta Rita Hills tasting exeriences Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI