CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

2024 Okanagan, BC, Canada Tour - how to get around safely & where to eat?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2024 Okanagan, BC, Canada Tour - how to get around safely & where to eat? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2024 Okanagan, BC, Canada Tour - how to get around safe... - 3/17/2024 9:44:42 PM   
#winewithryan

For those who have done the Okanagan, Similkameen, Oliver Wine Regions....we are staying at Burrowing Owl Winery end of June 2024.
How do people get around safely without driving (while wine tasting) and where are the recommended eateries/restaurants?
Are there any scenic sights or places that are a "must" visit even if just for a moment to get a photograph?
We know nothing of the area...looking for any tips to help plan.

We've mapped out a good bunch of wineries and their wine offerings...searched reviews and made notes of what we want to buy vs what we won't...only in the effort to save time browsing when there with limited time.

Any other tips or hints are welcome...we have 3 days in the Burrowing Owl area....

Ryan & Cindy
Post #: 1
RE: 2024 Okanagan, BC, Canada Tour - how to get around ... - 3/18/2024 8:54:28 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Hi Ryan and Cindy, I have only visited once, many years ago, but my memory was of a pretty laid back rural area, where limos or taxi or Uber unlikely to exist. Maybe something has changed, but I'd advise spitting a lot and one of you being a designated driver.

As far as scenery, the whole area is gorgeous, Lake Osoyoos in particular, and I remember the high mountains around Similkameen Valley being something out of a storybook. Very dramatic, and steep with a flat river plain below. The "Bench" areas where most of the vineyards and wineries sit also storybook wine country views. You will have no trouble finding plenty of photo opportunities.

Your comment of a list wines to buy seems odd to me, since that is always my purpose when tasting, i.e. to decide what to buy. I always like to have a general plan but rely on convenience or on the ground referrals, i.e., the new guy down the road is doing good things, to fill in some tasting time.

As far as dining, I have very little memory of where we ate, we were camping, so much of our food likely we ate at our campsite, and maybe ate out once or twice. I vaguely recall a big breakfast with poutine. Poutine is a must for us while in Canada.

Have fun!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to #winewithryan)
Post #: 2
RE: 2024 Okanagan, BC, Canada Tour - how to get around ... - 3/18/2024 12:55:01 PM   
Jenise

Actually, Chris, there are a number of wine tour outfits operating in that area, and I'm sure the hosts at Burrowing Owl would have some to recommend. What Ryan may not like is that these guys may have their own list of wineries (from whom they'll receive kickbacks, natch) that they want to take you to vs. working from your list. Easy to check into, though.

As for wineries and eateries: #1 don't-miss place to go is a two-fer, Mirador restaurant which is on the grounds of the most excellent Tinhorn Creek Winery. At considerable elevation, the views from up there are spectacular. Book a table in advance. Pretty much up that same road is Culmina (whose gruner veltliner I adore) and Checkmate, I think it's called, who basically make two wines, merlot and chardonnay, which are like $100/bottle. Probably not on your dance card (wouldn't be on mine either). I gave you other recommendations in a previous thread you started.

I just want to warn you to not overplan. The tendency (and all of us started this way) is to cram in as much as you can. The result may be more wines at more wineries, but the quality of your experience goes down as the numbers go up. And these days, most wineries book tastings by appointment. It started in Covid and hasn't exactly gone back to the previous normal.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: 2024 Okanagan, BC, Canada Tour - how to get around ... - 3/18/2024 2:04:59 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Actually, Chris, there are a number of wine tour outfits operating in that area

Glad to hear this Jenise!

My valley, Yakima, has had a few wine touring companies, but like you say, hard to guide them, rather than visa versa. The more effective one here, as least last I looked, was a "Beer Hopper" bus. 3-5 breweries in a loop, and you can self select where you get off and how long you stay. You eventually have to get home, though, so even with that too tipsy is a risk.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2024 Okanagan, BC, Canada Tour - how to get around safely & where to eat? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI