CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Santa Ynez Valley visit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Santa Ynez Valley visit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/3/2024 10:40:57 AM   
davo22

First I wanted to thank everyone that provided recommendations in a previous post prior to my trip. They were all very helpful and got me pointed in the right direction.

First off for dinner - SY Kitchen is a must. Amazing food, fabulous pasta in particular.

I was incredibly impressed by the winemaking happening in the valley. I will readily admit to being turned off of California over the last few years primarily due to the Napa influence (which is the bulk of what we get here). Just only so much of the Napa cab and chard style that you can drink at astronomical prices before you are turned off.

Driving over the pass into the valley from Santa Barbara on the 154 sets you off to a great start. The views are incredible. There is a clear division of labour between growers and producers in the valley - from my discussions driven primarily by land value that pushes small producers (the majority from what I witnessed) into grape contracts and purchasing instead of vineyard ownership and farming. Though there are exceptions where producers hold contracts on specific vineyard blocks and are actively engaged in the vineyard and vine management. The bigger multibrand producers are certainly capable of vineyard ownership.

The soil, rock, altitude and climate differences across the valley are extreme which leads to some fascinating results in the wines. The number of varieties being played with is highly impressive, and I really enjoyed seeing how the producers experiment with the same single varietal across different terroir. It provides a tasting dream for a wine nerd with an interest in terroir. The French influence is definitive, particularly the number of producers leaning into Rhone styles. And there is such a connection with the farming and preservation of the land and what it produces - so much leaning in on sustainability, biodynamics, and low intervention winemaking.

The standout producers for me were Dragonette and Story of Soil. Absolutely incredible wines. I also went to the Hilt so was able to taste 3 variations of Pinot from the Bentrock and Radian vineyards, and also Syrah from the same cool climate vineyard (all owned by the Hilt). Both Dragonette and Story of Soil source Pinot and Syrah from those Hilt vineyards, so between the 3 producers you get some really interesting style variation. I did a library tasting at the Hilt and was blown away by their Jonata Sangiovese from 2005. But I probably liked the Dragonette and Story of Soil Pinots more than the Hilt version from the same vineyard.

Holus Bolus was also good, though for a small producer probably spread a little thin across multiple brands. Their Joy Fantastic wines were most impressive, but I also think that the vineyard costs out close to the ocean are making it a potential economic liability to the winery, so it may have an end date not far off. I was less than blown away by Tercero and found a lot of their wines have a really poor finish. Clearly he's going at a funkier style that wasn't really working for me.

Los Olivos is a convenient spot to taste a lot of wine on foot with all of the small tasting shops - a definite bonus for this region.

Overall an impressive region that is now added to my "to follow" list. I'll be back.
Post #: 1
RE: Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/15/2024 2:54:15 PM   
bularry

Excellent notes.

I have visited the area a few times from my home in Houston and it is my favorite place to visit. The wife and I just love the vibe from the winemaking community and there are enough quality food/coffee options to keep us satisfied.

The only 'clubs' I remain in are in that area; Liquid Farm, Chanin, Stolpman and the list for DdlC. Quality wines that have stayed at attainable price points for the working wine lovers like myself.

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 2
RE: Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/18/2024 6:19:50 PM   
prasm

During two visits to the area the past couple years my wife and I visited Dragonette three times, Holus Bolus twice, Story of Soil twice, and The Hilt once – I specifically avoided Tercero based upon recommendations from others. Two years ago, my wife and I did appointments at The Hilt, Holus Bolus, Story of Soil and Dragonette (in their Los Olivos tasting room). We ended up joining the wine clubs at Holus Bolus and Story of Soil, purchasing a half case from Dragonette and a few bottles from The Hilt. We really enjoyed The Hilt but found their price/quality ratio to be a deal breaker – great wines, but correspondingly high prices. Last year we returned and re-visited Story of Soil, Holus Bolus, and Dragonette at both their Los Olivos tasting room and their winery in Buellton. In the year in between we had consumed several bottles from each through club deliveries (Holus Bolus & Story of Soil) and our tasting room purchases (Dragonette). We had decided we were definitely going to sign up for Dragonette’s club as we had really enjoyed their wines, in particular their Black Label Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. We had a similar experience with the 2019 Holus Bolus Pres’quile Syrah. Plus, I’m really intrigued by the possibilities of the Joy Fantastic vineyard, neighbors of exciting Rajat Parr’s Domaine De La Cote vineyard. But failed to have a single Aha moment with any Story of Soil bottles including their Larner Syrah, Ampelos Pinot, Donnachadh Chardonnay or Slide Hill Grenache – none were bad, but none were memorable either. We ended up dropping Story of Soil. Dragonette is my favorite because their wines are the most balanced due to a judicious use of oak, Holus Bolus is a little more oak averse, but does use it in limited quantity – usually second or third year. Story of Soil is focused on “place” and attempt minimal intervention and are essentially completely oak averse – only minimal use of completely neutral oak. I don’t think any vineyard in the SRH has evolved to express its best sense of place yet and doesn’t benefit from at least a little assistance from a talented winemaker. While I admire what Story of Soil stands for in their winemaking, I think it’s preventing them from making the best wine they could currently.

(in reply to bularry)
Post #: 3
RE: Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/19/2024 7:58:42 AM   
davo22

quote:

ORIGINAL: prasm

We ended up joining the wine clubs at Holus Bolus and Story of Soil, purchasing a half case from Dragonette and a few bottles from The Hilt.

I would sign up for Dragonette and Story of Soil subscriptions in a flash if only shipments north of the border were possible and without me paying a good portion of the bottle price again on import duties. But alas I was limited to returning from my trip with only the 2 bottles I am permitted to bring back in my luggage.

(in reply to prasm)
Post #: 4
RE: Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/19/2024 10:45:29 AM   
Wine Grove

Thanks for sharing.

Dragonette, Story of Soil and Carhartt are always the spots to visit when in Los Olivos. And glad you took me up on SY Kitchen... it's the best!

I'm going up there early May and have been trying to decide on where to go tasting in STA RITA HILLS. I've really been wanting to drive around these vineyards area, I think I will go to the HILT, especially after seeing your post!

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 5
RE: Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/19/2024 11:06:56 AM   
jayhawk

The Hilt is a beautiful tasting room and there are many vineyards worth visiting up that way. The only two clubs I belong to are Chanin and Ddlc but those tasting rooms aren't out in the vineyards and in the lampoc wine ghetto area. Melville is another nice vineyard I have been to several times.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 6
RE: Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/20/2024 6:28:56 AM   
DrBad

I took a quick overnight up there last month while working in LA with some time off. Similar impressions with Dragonette. Their Radian and Black Label Pinot Noir were excellent and the Black Label Chardonnay was magnificent. The Sauv Blanc was also nice. I wound up joining.

Terre et Sang was also interesting. Mother and son team with some interesting wines and a hopping tasting room. A few were hit and miss for me but the Kissing Vipers Grenache from Bien Nacideo Vineyard was outstanding, worth the stop for that alone.

(in reply to jayhawk)
Post #: 7
RE: Santa Ynez Valley visit - 4/20/2024 7:52:14 AM   
davo22

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove
I think I will go to the HILT, especially after seeing your post!

I've seen others call The Hilt uppity and the barn is certainly more upscale than the Los Olivos tasting rooms. But I found the people very laid back and easy going, very informative, and the service was impeccable. I didn't find the wine prices too out of line with others making high end wines in the valley. And after having been to Dragonette and Story of Soil and hearing about the Radian and Bentrock vineyards, it was meaningful to see them in person and to taste The Hilt variants from the same vineyard.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Santa Ynez Valley visit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI