CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

CT Secret Santa...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> CT Secret Santa... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

CT Secret Santa...

$20
  0% (0)
$30
  26% (11)
$40
  21% (9)
$50
  45% (19)
$60
  7% (3)
Other (Please Comment)
  0% (0)

Total Votes : 42

(last vote on : 10/11/2019 11:39:04 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CT Secret Santa... - 10/14/2009 8:54:09 PM   
Hollowine

So I'm sitting at my client heads down on some design specs or some other mundane task today and hear them talking about needing to organize the departmental Secret Santa gift exchange this year. As with all things I pretty much ignored it as background noise, but then as I got on and was reading forum posts I pondered, "Hmmmm, a CT Secret Santa program...."

(For those that don't know, Secret Santa is you pull a name out of a hat and then buy that person a gift. Someone else will have drawn your name. You set a spending cap so it levels the playing field, then typically everyone gets together to open their gift together and find out who their Secret Santa was.)

UPDATE:

Here is the list of those who have said that they are in already. This is just preliminary to get a better handle on the interest in this and then we can work out the logistics and ground rules of it all when it gets closer.

TexasWineGeek has already offered to moderate and be an objective third party who can work through the assignment of Secret Santa's (randomly of course) and whatever other little things that might pop up around that.

jhannah27
Hollowine
RoundersRob
pjaines
GoodToGrape
gbm
YoDaddyO
pbm
vinopkm
cgrimes
drycab
fingers
petitblanc
rwine
tjib13
ikkaariainen
arcprise
clintsf

Gift Value was set at $50 +/-

FOR LATE INTEREST - PM TexasWineGeek - He is gathering interest for some additional Inclusions.  Just send him a PM and that will keep the participants somewhat veiled based on late arrivals.

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 10/26/2009 2:37:38 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/14/2009 8:56:56 PM   
jhannah27

Intriguing. Depending on how this would work, I world be interested. I just have no idea how to make it work.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 2
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/14/2009 9:25:26 PM   
GoodToGrape

Seems to me that the easiest way would be for an objective 3rd party to volunteer to "moderate" the exchange - ideally someone who would not be participating in the exchange to avoid any sense of impropriety.  Each person who wants to participate would PM the the moderator with their shipping info.  The moderator would in turn conduct a virtual hat pull, randomly determining each person's secret Santa.  The moderator would them PM each participant, letting them know who they are secret Santa for. 

Here are a few potential issues:

1)  Because shipping is involved, this would unfortunately necessitate US only participation...otherwise it could become cost prohibitive.
2)  Since we are all pretty much aware of each other's location, when you receive your bottle from your secret Santa, some minor deductive reasoning would easily reveal the identity of your secret Santa.
3)  CTers of non-Christian traditions could be thinking "who is this Santa cat?".

Beyond the logistical challenges, a very cool idea!

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 3
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/14/2009 9:35:29 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

3)  CTers of non-Christian traditions could be thinking "who is this Santa cat?".

LMAO at that line...

Good comments and pretty much some of what I thought too. As to #2, you might be able to deduce your Secret Santa, but no one else would know until we all posted on a given Date, and you could just refuse to open the box until the unveiling postings.

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 4
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/14/2009 9:45:02 PM   
tacman

Is this just a clever attempt to get me to mail you that DRC?

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 5
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/14/2009 9:55:37 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

Who doesn't like Santa?

-- Jeremy

Post #: 6
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 6:40:57 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

Is this just a clever attempt to get me to mail you that DRC?

Busted It was all a devilishly cleaver plan whereby all participants would have been told I was the recipient they had "drawn" and on the unveiling day I would have had a wonderful mini-cellar and you would all be living in Whosville! Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa!

Seriously... I'm guessing any Secret Santa where the giving threshold could include a DRC would have very few participants, and anyway, I'd much rather share the bottle with you than try to appreciate it alone.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 7
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 6:48:31 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Tough one to get to work, but neat idea.
Could start with a "virtual" SS: what you would have bought them, if only you could :)
Look upon it as a dry run.
Just need a limit, spomeone to decide who gets who and then (trickiest) a way of publishing the "virtual" gift, intitially anonymously.
L.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 8
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 6:56:05 AM   
Serge Birbrair

Shipping is NOT a problem. We just buy wine in the country of the recipient and have it delivered there. Wine Searcher is a good source of the stores outside of US. C'mon, guys, this is 21st century, time to start thinking globally :)

tsk....

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 9
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 6:57:55 AM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

quote:

Who doesn't like Santa?

we all like Santa!

tsk....

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 10
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 7:01:58 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

(trickiest) a way of publishing the "virtual" gift, intitially anonymously.
L.

I think that is easiest. I would envision we set a package opening on a specific date (say Dec 20) and then we post a new thread on the Forum. As each open their gift they post the "surprise" to the thread and who their Santa was. If we so choose, the moderator would be the only one to know how many and who were participating, so it might be fun to see on the 20th who all threw their hat in the ring,

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 11
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 7:02:19 AM   
arcprise

I think it's a great idea, albeit logistically challenging... BTW, does that mean i would need to buy someone 8 bottles for Hidden Hannukah?

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 12
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 9:14:46 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serge Birbrair

Shipping is NOT a problem. We just buy wine in the country of the recipient and have it delivered there. Wine Searcher is a good source of the stores outside of US. C'mon, guys, this is 21st century, time to start thinking globally :)

I was just thinking this same thing, and I think that this is the best way. We can order online through a local vendor and put the "customer" name and address as the recipient. That way, until they actually open the shipping box and see the billing name and address, they would not know who it was from.

Logistics solved in my opinion.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 13
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:08:33 AM   
pault

When I did smoke cigars, and part of the Fuente Board,  we set a price , names went out prior to like Nov 15th, And cigars needed to be on their way  by early December. Open it up right away or stick in Humidors if you  had room and wait, most opened em.

Some people went overboard, or gave accessories, esp if it was someone they were acquainted with. We did have regional get togethers, the same as what goes on here.

You need to figure at least $10 SH,,  or if your lucky a local pickup.

I am not sure I would participate.

member #55326 , cellar ID=grngnt

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 14
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:14:44 AM   
RoundersRob

I'll do it.. could be fun.

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 15
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:28:06 AM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

i'm not sure in what way?  I mean, I guess it could be nice to receive a bottle that you wouldn't otherwise buy/get with the flipside of hopefully giving something to someone else that values it above what they paid to participate.  But I could also go over to the store and tell the guy, "Here's $50.  Go pick out something for me" and get the same results. 

< Message edited by fingers -- 10/15/2009 10:31:40 AM >

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 16
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:30:41 AM   
Hollowine

So there seems to be some interest, and the good thing is there doesn't have to be any set # of participants. Any ideas on target value? I was thinking somewhere $30-50?

Post #: 17
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:30:42 AM   
TexasWineGeek

I will throw my hat in the ring as moderator, unless someone objects, since I am new and really don't know any of you personally

What dollar limit do you want to set?

Should each participant specify the kind of wine they like or is this going to be a totally random  
      selection by the secret santa?

All participants need to be identified by Nov 20 by PM their contact info for shipping.
       I will set up a random number generator to match participants.  I will then send the information to participants
       identifying who they are purchasing wine for with that persons contact information. 

When each secret santa purchases wine for their match each secret santa should
       contact me with the information about the wine they purchased and the date shipped.

On December 20th I will initiate a thread asking for the secret santas to identify who they are and 'who they think' their secret santa is.  Once this is accomplished we will then expose the secret santa to their partner.

What do you think?

No offense taken if you don't want to approach it this way or prefer another moderator, just thought I would offer.

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

Post #: 18
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:32:15 AM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

i'm not sure in what way?  I mean, I guess it could be nice to receive a bottle that you wouldn't otherwise buy/get with the flipside of hopefully giving something to someone else that values it above what they paid to participate.  But I could also go over to the store and tell the guy, "Here's $50.  Go pick out something for me" and get the same results. 

I dunno.. it's just something different. I would hope that people would get creative... I'm bored right now and anything seems exciting to me.

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 19
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:34:56 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

I'm bored right now and anything seems exciting to me.

+1 brother...

Post #: 20
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:56:08 AM   
jhannah27

The fun part would be trying to pick who was your Secret Santa. If everyone sticks to something (e.g., region, varietal, or even a specific wine) that they have discussed at length here, or that others might know you have knowledge of, then this is where the guessing can begin. For example, I am someone who drinks a lot of Rhone wines and pinots, and I have discussed at length my love for these wines.

Not that this gives away what I might send someone, but those would be the cues that I would key on.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 21
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 10:58:03 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexasWineGeek

Should each participant specify the kind of wine they like or is this going to be a totally random  

See above, I think it would be better if the guessing game was trying to choose the person based on what they send. Although I know people who have allergies to certain types of wine, so if there are any issues there, then those should be communicated.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 22
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 11:00:26 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexasWineGeek

See above, I think it would be better if the guessing game was trying to choose the person based on what they send. Although I know people who have allergies to certain types of wine, so if there are any issues there, then those should be communicated.

I think I would agree.  So we would post a list of who all the secret santa's are once the participants send their information and then 'let the games begin'.

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 23
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 11:07:54 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

The fun part would be trying to pick who was your Secret Santa. If everyone sticks to something (e.g., region, varietal, or even a specific wine) that they have discussed at length here, or that others might know you have knowledge of, then this is where the guessing can begin. For example, I am someone who drinks a lot of Rhone wines and pinots, and I have discussed at length my love for these wines.

Not that this gives away what I might send someone, but those would be the cues that I would key on.

Well, If we are all somewhat predictable I guess that will take the effort out ofguessing who sends me the '45 Ch. Mouton...

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 24
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 12:04:53 PM   
treetops

So, it was you who sent those kids round to that wine store!

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 25
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 12:09:32 PM   
pjaines

If people are willing to take in other countries, then I'd be up for this. As Serge says, the internet is a wonderful thing - It would be easy for me to order for one of you chaps.

Besides, the US is the home of Echo Falls. I wouldn't be stuck for choice.

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 26
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 12:29:07 PM   
GoodToGrape

As with giving any gift, one should do a little bit of research to find out what the recipient might like.  Take a look at past posts here...peruse their cellar on CT if it's public.  If they have all reds, then you can assume that they prefer reds and you can gift accordingly.  If they indicate a liking for an occasional robust Aussie Syrah, but you notice their cellar doesn't have many...that would be a thoughtful gift. 

Also, I appreciate the "get with the 21st century" sentiment, and I do like the convenience of online shopping - but there is something personal about giving a gift of a bottle that has been lovingly cared for in your own cellar.  If I happen to draw a fellow Yank, I will likely send something of mine that falls within the value parameters.  If I draw someone for whom shipping myself is logistically impossible, I will do it online. 

So yeah, count me in.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 27
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 12:34:12 PM   
pjaines

I think a recommended price limit would be sensible to avoid any uncomfortable discrepencies in gift giving,

Post #: 28
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 12:36:47 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

Besides, the US is the home of Echo Falls. I wouldn't be stuck for choice.

...well, you would have to decide if it is worth paying the shipping on a 6L of EF, remember you have a price target to meet.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 29
RE: CT Secret Santa... - 10/15/2009 1:29:06 PM   
gbm

I'm in...Sounds like fun.

Greg

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> CT Secret Santa... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI