CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What BEER are you drinking?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What BEER are you drinking? Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/19/2016 6:06:13 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: cartey

Critical mass? Far from it! Small boutique breweries are popping up almost every day, not to mention the enormous number of home brewer enthusiasts. Beer is much easier to be made at home than wine, after all. :p

Carter, I guess it sounded like I was describing the brewers blowing themselves up. We are on the same page, so to speak - I see a confluence of brewers, brewing culture, public enthusiasm, and distribution that is coming together well, and to me it seems a relatively recent thing. There have been "microbreweries" around for a long time, but just in the past few years I've really been blown away by quite a few products from CA, OR, WA, CO and as you mentioned, Canada. Add in MI, TX, NY, and a strong streak across the midwest - WI, IL, OH, PA and some outliers I've had from UT and AK, and it feels like this whole realm has really become prominent and exalted of late.

(in reply to cartey)
Post #: 2281
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/19/2016 10:02:53 AM   
BenNoir

Goose Island Matilda in 12oz bottles.

I bought a 4 pack a few months ago, and stashed it in the beer fridge in the garage. Drank one then but wasn't that impressed.
Then last week, pulled one out after some hard work outside to drink while watching a little football. It was so good and smooth. Utterly refreshing compared to the thicker winter barley wines and bourbon aged stuff I had been sampling through the holidays.

Well, I picked up a couple more four packs when I was at Total Wine. After watching Carolina spank the Seahawks in the first half last Sunday, I left the second half to the DVR and retired to the shop to make some sawdust and brought another Matilda with me. She helped make me feel better.

ben

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2282
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/23/2016 2:04:26 PM   
lockestep

Terrapin cinnamon roll'd w-n-b Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2283
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/24/2016 9:24:16 AM   
Ricardo

Interesting all the comments re. Goose Island - the IPA is widely available here and I tried a few bottles, and I have to say I don't care for it at all! Different strokes etc. etc.

Currently I'm drinking Orval April 2015 bottling..brett in a glass, doesn't sound like it but fantastic stuff! I remember a thread a year or two back comparing Orval with Duvel, very unfair, you might as well compare Michelle Pfeiffer to Penelope Cruz (excuse the totally non-PC comparison if found to be offensive).

I'm beginning to think that most of the really interestimg beer stuff resides in Belgium....maybe one day I'll take to lambics...on the other hand, probably not....

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 2284
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/24/2016 10:06:45 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night tried the new Cloudburst Brewery next to Pike Place Market. Tried three tasty treats, all excellent on a rainy, cool Seattle night: Boom Roasted Coffee Porter, Aw Shucks Oyster Stout and Cure All Nitro Milk Stout. Was going to try more but they close at 10:00. Going back soon to try their 4 - 5 IPA's. Cheers, Ed

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 2285
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/24/2016 1:18:28 PM   
BornToRhone

Even though it is sunny and 60F here today, I am currently drinking a Rahr Bourbon Barrel Winter Warmer with my cheese and charcouterie while watching the AFC Championship.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 2286
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 1/24/2016 2:21:47 PM   
mapleglo330

Had a Dogfish Pennsylvania Tuxedo last night. That's a pale ale brewed with spruce trimmings. The spruce was subtle. The beer was excellent.

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 2287
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/15/2016 8:26:24 AM   
musedir

(Bump).

Wow! Page 8!

Anyway, last night at our fav Thai Resturant, a new addition to beer offerings.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mapleglo330)
Post #: 2288
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 4/15/2016 4:53:17 PM   
khmark7

Page 8 is a shame....

Attended a huge beer tasting 2 weeks ago and found some nice brews from locals places that are doing a top notch job at it. Still have a few stouts and porters from the fall/winter but now have a mixed case or two of white ales, pale ales, IPA's and summer golden ales to hold the fort down until the fall.

If anyone has a chance check out Revolution brewing from Chicago. Some nice stuff from there.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 2289
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/1/2016 9:47:03 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night with a good smoke, Elevation Fanboy Double IPA, aged in new oak barrels. Outstanding !!! Ed
P.S. If you like stout, try their Oilman Stout, out now. I buy it at our local Whole Foods. Heavenly...

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2290
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/1/2016 6:43:02 PM   
mtpisgah

Today I had a River Rat Hazlenut Brown. A great beer from some guys in Columbia, SC. This is one of the few SC breweries I have sampled from that I actually like.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

Post #: 2291
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/14/2016 11:08:20 AM   
khmark7

Dogfish Head - namaste - white beer brewed with orange slices, lemongrass, coriander...blah blah blah...

This is bland as crap. Very disappointing.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 2292
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/17/2016 1:30:37 PM   
ShawnM789

I was in Portland Maine and had multiple great beers from two brewery's

Foundation Brewery

http://foundationbrew.com/welcome/

Bissell Brothers

http://www.bissellbrothers.com/

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2293
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/17/2016 10:19:19 PM   
BenNoir

Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig.

Yes, I visited Santa Rosa.

ben

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 2294
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/20/2016 10:01:46 PM   
champagneinhand

I made 4 1 L reusable glass bottles of ginger beer with champagne yeast. I'm really impressed how easy it was to make and how it's mellowed over the past 2 months. I actually like it better than Goslings no ABV Ginger Beer plus it's ABV is about 9%.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 2295
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 5/26/2016 5:09:43 PM   
fasteddie35

Last week was Beer Week here in Seattle. We did major tasting. The highlight was Goose Island Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Stout on draught. Absolutely stunning mouthful of flavors. Going back this weekend to see if it still exists. YUM !!! Cheers, Ed

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 2296
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/2/2016 5:16:40 PM   
Old Doug

Wild Trail Pale Ale. 9.8. Nearly perfect, and I say "nearly" because it runs along the ragged edge of several vectors, skirting so close that I cannot tell which way it should go, and the entire sensory process is enough that in the end the question is moot.

Said it before but the American craft-brewing movement is putting out some friggin' dynamite stuff these days. On tap at a steakhouse in the butt end of Charleston, West Virginia, this IPA presents as a medium dark Amber, not much on the nose but with agitation you can smell the bitterness. There is a true perceived structure as you taste it, a massive floor of rolling, layered hoppy bitterness, then an ethereal lifting with aromatic, coniferous resins and citrus notes, buttery aftertastes, and a perceived microfine carbonation - you wonder if it's really there. Delightful.

Look, if you don't like bitter hops, and pine tree taste mixed with grapefruit, you shouldn't be drinking India Pale Ales in the first place.

And, even when you do, some of you will not totally agree with me, but dayum, this is one fine one.

Post #: 2297
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 8/2/2016 6:29:57 PM   
Eddie

Doug, let me know if you're going to pass through here. You'd appreciate the Lexington craft beer scene.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2298
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 9/13/2016 5:28:57 PM   
Eddie

**** Great Beer Alert ****

Tilquin Gueuze 2012. WOW.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 2299
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 9/15/2016 12:49:00 PM   
ShawnM789

Ok to quote my own quote??

Love how this thread came back alive. My below post back in May is STILL my two favorite places to go. They are just killing it...

I keep tasting others and I KEEP going back. If your ever in Maine check them out you will not be disappointed, that good.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShawnM789

I was in Portland Maine and had multiple great beers from two brewery's

Foundation Brewery

http://foundationbrew.com/welcome/

Bissell Brothers

http://www.bissellbrothers.com/

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 2300
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 9/27/2016 7:12:43 PM   
Old Doug

Shawn, my mom lives in Maine, will check them out.

Lately:

Guinness Nitro IPA (right now). Had high hopes - the packaging makes it look like it should be, uh, something special. Yeah, maybe I should have learned that lesson a few decades ago. 7.0 Not "bad" but nothing to do again; tastes like a middle-of-the-road IPA mixed with Pilsner mixed with Guinness. Unmistakable dry coffee-cocoa-chalk aspect (that would be the Guinness part).

Lagunitas IPA. Have had it before, didn't think it was quite top-rank, but a couple weeks ago, on tap in a bar on the north side of Albany, NY, just glorious. Had to think hard to find any flaw at all. 9.7 Just a bit too sweet/caramel/molasses - and just a hint of that, but in an IPA does not take much of that to throw things off, IMO. Overall, awesome.

Goose Island IPA. Last Sunday, on tap at a Primanti Brothers (famous for their enormous, one-of-a-kind sandwiches in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area). The Goose is a steady performer, always near the top o' me lists... And a second one, these are the big, 22 ounce glasses. 9.6 always so good. Yes, I put it 96% of the way to the top of the beer spectrum.

Was not going to stray from the Goose, but saw "Big Timber Double Bit IPA" from Big Timber Brewing in Elkins, West Virginia. Well, I'd never had it before, and so ordered one, though I caught myself thinking, "Those hillbillies can't match the Goose...."

Well. Huh. I was wrong, and I don't think I've ever given a perfect score to a beer, but this was a 10.0. A rolling, variegated, infinite plain of herbal hop goodness, with elegant, floral, bright and bouncing citrus tastes and just the right amount of piney/coniferous aspects, which to me means fairly well restrained, rising to the heavens and on the way going to the top of your mouth and your olfactory centers, a miracle of whimsical, scintillating, spiral architecture. Man, I was one with the universe.

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 2301
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/25/2016 9:24:07 AM   
musedir

Mini-tasting of two Köisch beers while in Cologne...where else?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2302
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/25/2016 2:11:42 PM   
Eddie

That's Kolsch, not Koisch...

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 2303
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/25/2016 11:19:06 PM   
musedir

Every writer needs an editor.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 2304
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/26/2016 8:35:29 AM   
Old Doug

Rapscallion Honey American Pale Ale. 8.8 points.

On tap in the bar in the Comfort Inn & Suites, Sturbridge, Massachusetts, and brewed right in that same tiny town. Took me by surprise; never had anything like it. "Honey" is involved in the making, but the brewing microbes turn that sugar into alcohol, and the resultant brew is not sweet. Only 4.5% alcohol, exceedingly smooth, lightly malty, and with a back-end bitterness that I found unusual. I know that "APAs" are supposed to be different from "IPAs" but wow this deal was like nothing I ever had before. I'm used to IPAs, some of which clobber you with bitter hoppiness, and it's always when you first taste it, followed by the pine, citrus, etc., making themselves apparent. Rapscallion Honey is thus very underwhelming at first, but there are subtle things, perhaps a little spiciness, hints of fruit, that may be pleasing to the patient, focused imbiber. A little finishing bite of bitterness set it all off quite nicely, in my opinion. Massively easy to drink.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 2305
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/26/2016 11:36:30 AM   
musedir

Bitburger draft.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2306
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/26/2016 3:16:04 PM   
khmark7

Lately...

Goose Island - Green Line - APA
Two Brothers - Atom Smasher Oktoberfest
Boon - Framboise(raspberry lambic)
Two Brothers - Wobble IPA
New Belgium - 1554

All very solid - repeat purchases.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 2307
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/30/2016 10:37:05 AM   
Old Doug

Peroni draft in an Italian restaurant, Peabody, Massachusetts. Peroni is a popular Italian mass-market beer favored by some members of the Italian family into which I married - I've had many a bottle. Always liked it all right, but thought it a little skunky a la Heineken. On tap it was better, quite a bit better, darn good, nice lager, malt and hops in the background. 9.0

Food and Wine magazine has a list of the "Best IPAs in America," state by state. I clicked through them all, and good grief - I have had none of them, and only have heard of 2 or 3, including California's Pliny the Elder. You just can't keep up with it all....

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2308
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/30/2016 4:48:45 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Peroni draft in an Italian restaurant, Peabody, Massachusetts. Peroni is a popular Italian mass-market beer favored by some members of the Italian family into which I married - I've had many a bottle. Always liked it all right, but thought it a little skunky a la Heineken. On tap it was better, quite a bit better, darn good, nice lager, malt and hops in the background. 9.0

Food and Wine magazine has a list of the "Best IPAs in America," state by state. I clicked through them all, and good grief - I have had none of them, and only have heard of 2 or 3, including California's Pliny the Elder. You just can't keep up with it all....

These days we could have our very own IPA thread and discuss the best IPA's and still leave some out.

My favorites: Dogfish Head 60 minutes, Ale Asylum Ballistic & Hopalicious, Zombie Dust. Lately i've tried some great Double IPA's

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 2309
RE: What BEER are you drinking? - 10/31/2016 7:52:56 AM   
Byteme94

Just popped an Alchemist Focal Banger, might even like this 7% younger brother more than the 8% heady topper.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 2310
Page:   <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What BEER are you drinking? Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI