CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 8:28:19 AM   
TexasWineGeek

Ok boys and girls, Only 10 days to go until SS day so, Santa has asked for a show of hands, via PM's to Santa's helper, as to who has NOT recieved their present as yet.  PLEASE, Santa needs a response if you have not received your present or heard that it has been shipped.

If EVERYONE has received their present by this weekend we may, yes I said 'may', open presents early i.e. Sunday.  So, again

PLEASE reply via PM if you HAVE NOT RECEIVED or HAVE NOT BEEN NOTIFIED that
your present shipped.

Santa's Helper / as per Santa's request

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~
Post #: 1
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 9:26:12 AM   
fingers

Like Harry Potter learning of his magical heritage, I am ecstatic with validation!  You see, Santa delivered not one, but two bottles down our chimney.  They're still all wrapped up so I don't know what they are, but I must have been a really good boy this year

(that, or since we have 2 chimneys, he screwed up)

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 2
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 10:44:10 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Like Harry Potter learning of his magical heritage, I am ecstatic with validation!  You see, Santa delivered not one, but two bottles down our chimney.  They're still all wrapped up so I don't know what they are, but I must have been a really good boy this year

Uh, excuse me, how do you know there are 2 bottles? hmmm............didn't open? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 3
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 10:47:07 AM   
TexasWineGeek

After receiving a couple of PM's it appears that the final shipments won't arrive at their destinations until Dec 16 and one has been lost in transit and sent back to the shipper. 

Hopefully, we will be able to get UPS the correct address before the package is returned and re-route to the proper address.  Wish me luck.

So, it appears that we will remain with Dec 20th for the revealing of SS and opening of the packages.

Santa's Helper (and now UPS's helper)

TWG

Post #: 4
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 11:05:45 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexasWineGeek

quote:

Uh, excuse me, how do you know there are 2 bottles? hmmm............didn't open? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

A two bottle shipper is twice the size of a one bottle one. 

I suppose there could be one bottle in a two bottle shipper, which puts Bob back on the hot spot.

-- Jeremy

Post #: 5
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 11:08:58 AM   
fingers

It was a 3 bottle shipper, among two other 3 bottle shippers I picked up that day.  I was expecting a single shipper but, (un)fortunately Santa was smart enough to brown bag each bottle.   I'll wait 'til the 20th

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 6
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 11:16:06 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

It was a 3 bottle shipper, among two other 3 bottle shippers I picked up that day.  I was expecting a single shipper but, (un)fortunately Santa was smart enough to brown bag each bottle.   I'll wait 'til the 20th

Now, now son it will all be ok   It won't be long now and you will get your surprise, be it one, two or more bottles.

Remember, however, you signed a contract stating that if more than one bottle arrived the overflow would be forwarded to Santa's Helper....hmmmm....that be ME

My address is ....

TWG

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 7
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 3:40:17 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

Hey, did they drop down the chimney like a Chimney Rock?

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 8
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 5:18:41 PM   
Hollowine

I couldn't wait...I'M WEAK!!!!

Seriously, Santa, you shouldn't have! Please tell me where you found them for $50, I'd like to get another 100 or so...

Post #: 9
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/10/2009 9:03:17 PM   
smigdiggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Seriously, Santa, you shouldn't have! Please tell me where you found them for $50, I'd like to get another 100 or so...

Dude, thats totally wierd, I opened mine tonight and I had the very same thing in my package...This Secret Santa thing Rocks...

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 10
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 5:54:47 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

Now do you REALLY expect me to fall for that?   Remember, I already know what you received

TWG

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 11
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 7:28:42 AM   
cgrimes

I received a nice package today from SF.  Thank you Secret Santa!
Craig

Post #: 12
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 8:28:39 AM   
TexasWineGeek

OK boys and girls here is the deal.

It appears that everyone has shipped and that everyone has received except one.

It turns out that there was an issue with UPS and the package was returned to SS and once re-shipped won't arrive until after the 20th.    The actions of UPS leave allot to be desired in this situation but it is what it is.

I just knew it was going waaaaaay toooooo smoothly

Consequently we will still leave the revealing date as 20 Dec.

Santa's Helper

TWG

Post #: 13
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 8:52:14 AM   
Hollowine

From a sufferingly selfish point of view, the 20th is fine by me. I've had a head cold for going on 9 days, the last two of which were utter miserable, and I just now feel I might be turning the corner on it. Hopefully by mid-next week I will be back to enjoying the vino, this really sucks.

Post #: 14
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 8:56:40 AM   
ikkaariainen

To bump the thread back up top and to give a gentle reminder - everyone and I mean EVERYONE associated with this CT SS program needs to just nicely walk away from all those packages as they come in until the 20th...

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 15
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 5:47:52 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ikkaariainen

To bump the thread back up top and to give a gentle reminder - everyone and I mean EVERYONE associated with this CT SS program needs to just nicely walk away from all those packages as they come in until the 20th...

OK - I can wait until the 20th, but I have done a little investigating.  There are TWO bottles in my package.  It is big enough to hold two bottles, but it was very well balanced, so I picked up the package in one hand and a single bottle in the other.  Either Santa gave me a box full of rocks or I've got two bottles.

Now I'm really curious.  But I can wait.  Le Bernardin on the 19th and then this on the 20th.  Going to be a busy weekend for me.

Greg

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 16
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 8:24:53 PM   
ikkaariainen

Could be that box of rocks buddy, you just never know with Wine Santa...

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 17
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 11:27:25 PM   
Hollowine

So I'm curious, how many still have no idea of their SS or gift? My wife is mildly amused at the whole thing, and has sequestered the package so I couldn't accidentally see the shipper address. She even said she may open the package and decant the wine without me knowing what I'm drinking, making me field a guess on both the wine and the SS. Who knows, we will see what transpires, as of now I'm still totally in the dark.

Post #: 18
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/11/2009 11:34:37 PM   
vinopkm

Do you decant white Zins? 

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 19
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 12:24:38 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

So I'm curious, how many still have no idea of their SS or gift? My wife is mildly amused at the whole thing, and has sequestered the package so I couldn't accidentally see the shipper address. She even said she may open the package and decant the wine without me knowing what I'm drinking, making me field a guess on both the wine and the SS. Who knows, we will see what transpires, as of now I'm still totally in the dark.

After you flexing your blind tasting skills at Houston's when you were down here, if there is anyone who could guess it, I would have my money on Scott.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 20
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 5:29:16 AM   
gbm

quote:

Not a clue as to what I have. I know it came from California, but it was shipped FedEx and the return address is "Shipping Department." I looked at the city, but I don't remember it. There are a lot of you California folks on here and I'm not really trying too hard to figure it out.

Greg

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 21
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 6:45:24 AM   
Hollowine

Don't forget you all, I'm a road warrior and could have posted my package from nearly anywhere in the country...well, assuming some nefarious baggage handling @ss didn't jack your gift.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 22
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 6:49:24 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

Do you decant white Zins? 

Only in Orange County, where they are customarily paired with Skittles to bring out their acidity.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 23
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 6:49:31 AM   
ikkaariainen

quote:

I for one have no idea what the wine is, where it was shipped from or who the generous SS is. I got my wife to take a peak yesterday to let me know if she thought I'd like it, not that helpful of a move since she said she'd never heard of the wine but then I did set up CT for her and she reports that other fellow CT'ers have been rating that wine 91 - 92 points so definitely looking forward to the 20th...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 24
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 6:51:39 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

quote:

After you flexing your blind tasting skills at Houston's when you were down here, if there is anyone who could guess it, I would have my money on Scott.

Doubt lightning will strike twice. However, I might have a chance at guessing the SS if the wine happens to be an '05 Lanessan

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 25
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 9:51:07 AM   
jhannah27

LOL! IF I were your SS...I would never be so predictable!

I know this is discussed more on the other thread, but might I make a suggestion that might make the opening and consumption of these a little easier? Perhaps we make the drinking window open starting Friday night (like we do for the Virtual tastings) so that people can have the whole weekend to taste?

Just a thought. I hate to throw a wrench in the machine this late in the game.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 26
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 10:15:25 AM   
vinopkm

I agree- Sunday isn't always the best night to be polishing off bottles.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 27
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 10:44:51 AM   
Blue Shorts

I got mine. I think mine is two bottles, too The box says 7 pounds, and since each bottle is usually around 3 pounds.... I gots 2 bottles.

Mine also came from "shipping department". The wine, or whatever is in the box, is resting nicely in the wine cellar.

I can't wait much longer.... must.... resist.....

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 28
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 11:41:32 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ikkaariainen

I got my wife to take a peak yesterday to let me know if she thought I'd like it, not that helpful of a move since she said she'd never heard of the wine...

TWEEEET!! Flag, Penalty, Flase Start, No. 86, Defense.

10 Bottle penalty, repeat first down.

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 29
RE: SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN - 12/12/2009 11:45:06 AM   
vinopkm

The ruling has been challenged and is going up to the booth... ... ... and the penalty is confirmed.  It will cost you a bottle of your finest 2005 Bordeaux! 

Please send all penalty fees to vinopkm.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> SECRET SANTA COUNTDOWN Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI