CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 10:13:42 AM   
socidelvino

On Pro Reviews, clicking on link to one of the external sites navigates directly there (which is cool) but have to page back to get to grapestories again. Please have link open a new window. thanks.

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 61
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 10:36:52 AM   
babnik

Tough to find if this has been addressed yet...

I spent about 15 minutes stubbornly trying to figure out how to post a Tasting Note on another forum with Grape Stories and finally gave up and used CellarTracker.  This brings up perhaps the biggest problem I have so far with Grape Stories (besides the name): navigation and "where to find things" is not intuitive so one spends forever trying to find a feature you figure exists and in the end, can't decide whether the feature is gone or you just can't find it.  But it is Beta so I'll keep trying but it at least after a few hours, Grape Stories seems to be a Round Hole and I am a Square Peg.

I assume Eric knows that the "Share" button is not functional: it creates a permalink to the same wine #1 no matter what, email doesn't send, and twitter indicates it is linked to "mattdente" account.

Randy Sloan
Match Vineyards

(in reply to socidelvino)
Post #: 62
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 12:17:37 PM   
dsGris

When clicking on the classic view, all the happens is the rt. panel disappears and the field expands in width, but stays the same height, 1" on my screen.  Info is not condensed.  I do like the up to 500 list instead of multiple pages.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to babnik)
Post #: 63
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 12:43:44 PM   
petitblanc

After saving a search, I am taken to a blank page.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 64
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 12:50:48 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: petitblanc

What browser are you in?

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to petitblanc)
Post #: 65
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 12:58:40 PM   
superbarre

Why has the drink date in the wines ist has a seperate column header but appears under the valuation?

IE does not seem to highlight the focussed wine (chrome does), they all have the same shade

Also, it's hard to replace focus on my Iphone.I can click on the drinking window (since the iphone formats this a tel.nr hyperlink), which resets focus, but then I need to cancel trying to phone the 'number'

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 66
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 1:13:16 PM   
PSUSteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

quote:

What browser are you in?

I have had the same problem on both searches I saved. I am using IE8.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 67
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 1:18:46 PM   
Eric Guido

When I click on "My Cellar" I see bottles in my home cellar, mixed with bottles that are pre-arrival (as if I have them already). What I don't see are bottles I have in offsite storage.

Basically, according to "My Cellar" I have about half the inventory I really have and a 1/4 of it hasn't actually arrived yet.

(in reply to Old_Winyards)
Post #: 68
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 2:10:25 PM   
GraemeG

quote:

ORIGINAL: ksmith

Graemeg,
Click on Community notes first, then Show All. The two lists are separate, just as in CT

No, on the wine record in CT, I would see ALL my tasting notes on the wine, then beneath that, the first 25 (or 50, was it) community notes. All together, all on the one screen. Haven't found a way to display all my notes, together with a decent quantity of others notes ont he one screen yet.
Graeme

(in reply to ksmith)
Post #: 69
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 2:59:07 PM   
brianngibson

Not sure if this is already on this list . . .

When using the Drinkability feature, I cannot edit the dates. I added new wine, then went to this page. The blanks show up to input them, but their is no "Save" or "Update" button that I see.

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 70
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 3:40:38 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: babnik

Tough to find if this has been addressed yet...

I spent about 15 minutes stubbornly trying to figure out how to post a Tasting Note on another forum with Grape Stories and finally gave up and used CellarTracker.  This brings up perhaps the biggest problem I have so far with Grape Stories (besides the name): navigation and "where to find things" is not intuitive so one spends forever trying to find a feature you figure exists and in the end, can't decide whether the feature is gone or you just can't find it.  But it is Beta so I'll keep trying but it at least after a few hours, Grape Stories seems to be a Round Hole and I am a Square Peg.

I assume Eric knows that the "Share" button is not functional: it creates a permalink to the same wine #1 no matter what, email doesn't send, and twitter indicates it is linked to "mattdente" account.

Known that share is not functional. I removed it in fact until it is ready. Note publishing will likely be linked from there. The current UI is to click the BULK EDIT button. Then you can select notes and choose to publish from the Bulk actions. In general, I will adding MANY different bulk actions, so hopefully people will learn to toggle on bulk actions when they want to do thinks with a list of search results.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to babnik)
Post #: 71
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 3:41:14 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: brianngibson

Not sure if this is already on this list . . .

When using the Drinkability feature, I cannot edit the dates. I added new wine, then went to this page. The blanks show up to input them, but their is no "Save" or "Update" button that I see.

This report has not been overhauled yet. I thought that would be obvious to people. Obviously I was mistaken.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to brianngibson)
Post #: 72
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 3:42:19 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: superbarre
Also, it's hard to replace focus on my Iphone.I can click on the drinking window (since the iphone formats this a tel.nr hyperlink), which resets focus, but then I need to cancel trying to phone the 'number'

Please do not bother with the new site on the iPhone or other mobile devices. It is not meant to work. I will be creating a specially optimized mobile site.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to superbarre)
Post #: 73
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 3:58:39 PM   
petitblanc

quote:

quote:

What browser are you in?

IE8

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 74
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 4:05:01 PM   
Eric

OK, back to work. I appreciate all of the feedback. Obviously there are some larger concerns around having a more compact, spreadsheet-like search view. Got it. Message heard. I will be digging in with the designer, and we will come up with something.

Some good old fashioned bugfixes and tweaks so far today:
  • Made some performance tweaks that seem to be helping a lot. I have more to do. Yesterday had VERY, VERY heavy load (5x normal actually), and the site did not handle it well.
  • Clicking on the comments link from a user's homepage was not filtering correctly. Now you should see their comments properly.
  • Many links that were not implemented now throw up an alert to say they are not implemented. I figure that people would just sort of get that if a link didn't work I knew. Apparently not. 90% of the emails and reports I am getting are on NYI links.
  • I also removed the static SHARE dialog in favor of the prior NYI treatment. The real dialog will be back soon.
  • Scrollbars were showing up in FireFox for the three modal popup dialogs (wine rating assistant, tasting note assistant, share dialog). Fixed. I need to sanity check the other browsers, and may switch to a different modal dialog codenase as the one I amusing is a little touchy.
  • The signin pop dialog no longer juts off the edge of the screen on smaller displays when you click the SIGN IN link at upper left. I am going to try to come up with a general fix to make sure that no dialog EVER pops off the bottom or right edge of the screen.
  • When drinking a bottle or adding a tasting note, if the note/bottle are defective then the LIKE/DISLIKE radio buttons are now disabled, and of course you are not forced to make a LIKE/DISLIKE choice.
  • When multiple people commented on a tasting note AND specified whether or not the note was helpful, there was duplication. So with three comments and helpful votes on the notes, you would see each comment three times. Four comments and four helpful votes, each comment shown four times. Fixed.
  • I made some webkit (Safari & Chrome) specific style fixes to the search controls to fix some sizing and alignment issues.
  • I fixed the IE accelerator XML to actually link to GrapeStories and properly use UTF8.
  • The Twitter control when drinking a bottle now says "Drinking" instead of "Tasting".
  • Some people were seeing issues on a user profile page where paging through fans/friends etc. would not work. This was due to NYI links. If you followed a non-functional link this would sometimes add a # to the end of the hyperlink. And that broke the paging script. Anyway, since the NYI links are fixed people won't hit this.
  • I cleaned up the NYI notifications box on the homepage so that the signup date is formatted correctly and so that the link to the Alerts & Notifications settings is shown below rather than in the heading.
I have made another 15-20 changes since last night. I'm spacing on them all and feeling a little busy/tired and want to keep bugfixing rather than poring through code diffs to explain the fixes.

NEXT UP tonight:
  • I will add a new default to the POPULAR WINES box on the homepage and wines landing page. IF you have wines in your cellar the site will default to showing you notes from other users on wines in your cellar. This is probably the #1 issue that people are running into. (Not realizing that it is just not the default.) In general I will be cleaning this up as well to add a more/less toggle to let you see more notes, maybe just a couple of lines per note, but with easy inplace toggle to lengthen a note.
  • Will try to sort out the dialog positioning to always keep them onscreen.
  • A bottle of 1989 Haut Brion and a steak. I need a treat. It has been a long, tiring, exciting and challenging few days.
In general, I have a long list of items to fix, keep working on etc. I am going to base the order of those tasks on the level of squawking and user value/impact.

Let me again say thank you. The feedback and criticism is very helpful. This is a beta, a work in progress. I am putting it out there now specifically so that I can get the kind of feedback that I am.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 75
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 4:07:03 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric Guido

When I click on "My Cellar" I see bottles in my home cellar, mixed with bottles that are pre-arrival (as if I have them already). What I don't see are bottles I have in offsite storage.

Basically, according to "My Cellar" I have about half the inventory I really have and a 1/4 of it hasn't actually arrived yet.

Huh? Link please. The results, AS WITH CELLARTRACKER TODAY, show all wines, instock and pending. But it makes no sense to me how the site could show a subset with some locations excluded. I don;t even have that kind of query feature on the site.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to Eric Guido)
Post #: 76
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 4:08:05 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: dbp

Might as well consolidate a list here instead of having tons of threads.

When I'm viewing someone's profile, if under "Fans of whoever" I click on more, all it does is seem to refresh the page... doesn't actually show me more fans of that user. Oh, I just tried again and this time it just brought me back to the root, www.grapestories.com/  Likewise, when I'm on a user's profile and click on "Fans", I get nothing... Seems most of the "more" buttons don't do anything (same with "most active people"). Oh wait, the more button on active people just worked! I clicked on it, and about 20 seconds later it finally shows me the more people... hmm.

When I'm viewing my whole cellar I can still organize the list by score, but only the cellartracker score. Previously I could sort by any of the professional scores as well. Is that an option here?

When I'm on Eric's profile, it says he has left 6 comments. When I click on comments, it brings me to a page that says "0 Comments"

Another general vibe I get is just that navigation is kind of slow... I know the old site was crazy simple, but it was also really snappy. I mean both in responsiveness, and also in getting to the data that's meaningful (takes more clicks, more waiting now). I may be in the minority of users, but I'd prefer the snappy simple feel than the busy feel of the new site.

David

All fixed or more obviously marked as NYI.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to dbp)
Post #: 77
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 4:08:45 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgibbard

On the old site when I create a tagged list the maximum price and note fields for that list show on the wine page. In the new site you cannot see that information on the wine page, you can only see it by clicking through to the list itself. If you have a large list you then have to do a lot of scrolling and hunting to find that wine on the list, and then back out to the wine page to continue working on the wine. It's less efficient than it used to be.

Just an ovesight. Will fix shortly.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to bgibbard)
Post #: 78
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 4:10:26 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: smigdiggler

I found that, but from the home page, I saw Pending deliveries ...and said.  oh that makes sense let me handle it there...  but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Eric had to make it difficult.   Just kidding Eric, although it would be nice to take delivery of pending orders from the pending orders link  on the home page.

Once I get the bulk mode hooked up for accepting pending I will have a direct link from the expected spot on the home. Great call!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to smigdiggler)
Post #: 79
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 5:12:50 PM   
Eric Guido

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric Guido

Huh? Link please. The results, AS WITH CELLARTRACKER TODAY, show all wines, instock and pending. But it makes no sense to me how the site could show a subset with some locations excluded. I don;t even have that kind of query feature on the site.

Eric, I think I figured this out and what it comes down to is that I never paid attention to this total on the original cellar tracking. The total at the top is referring to individual wine names (I think). With the actual total at the bottom of the page. If anything, the only part of my original comment that is valid is that it's not obvious from this list, which of my wines have not yet arrived.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 80
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 5:59:39 PM   
speedmac

Sorting by price is a tool I used often in the old CT> it is not a sortable field currently. There are so many moving parts to the new site it will take us a while to get comfortable with all the tools but it looks great so far. Thanks Eric.

(in reply to socidelvino)
Post #: 81
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 6:10:46 PM   
PSUSteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: speedmac

Sorting by price is a tool I used often in the old CT> it is not a sortable field currently. There are so many moving parts to the new site it will take us a while to get comfortable with all the tools but it looks great so far. Thanks Eric.

You can sort by price in an advanced search but I can't figure out how to sort by valuation.

(in reply to speedmac)
Post #: 82
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 6:28:00 PM   
Eric

The sorting UI for all columns,multi-key sort etc is not in place yet. I have a few column headers exposed but am not done yet.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to PSUSteve)
Post #: 83
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 6:33:51 PM   
ed

When bulk entering a number of different wines it would be nice if the list on the right put the last wine entered on top rather than bottom for visual feedback.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 84
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 6:36:40 PM   
ed

When entering multiple bottles from multiple producers I notice the purchase information applies to all wines in the list. It would be nice if we had the ability to set the source for each type of wine in the list.

(in reply to ed)
Post #: 85
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 6:40:44 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: ed

When entering multiple bottles from multiple producers I notice the purchase information applies to all wines in the list. It would be nice if we had the ability to set the source for each type of wine in the list.

I tend to use "Winery" as my store name to keep life simpler in general. If you need more customization you can toggle from the bulk entry mode to a chained entry mode where it will take you through each purchase in your cart, can add individual bins etc.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to ed)
Post #: 86
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 6:43:17 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: PSUSteve

quote:

quote:

What browser are you in?

I have had the same problem on both searches I saved. I am using IE8.

Wow, cool and gnarly bug of the day. In JQuery 1.3 the submit event can't be dynamically trapped in IE: http://api.jquery.com/live/#typefn
I have a workaround I am going to post shortly, but this glitch might be causing all manner of bugs in IE. Going to do a deeper code review.
The good news is that JQuery 1.4 is out and fixes this. I was holding off moving, but I think this gives me very strong impetus.

Quickie code review shows I am using this event for:
  • Saved searches
  • Bulk actions such as drinking and relocating from the individual bottle screen. Bulk tagging of wines.
  • Adding food tags.
  • Much of the label image functionality such as tagging vintages or removing an image.
  • Changing note display options (toggling whether or not to show score-only notes)
  • Posting a public message
  • Toggling to individual bottle display
  • All of the advanced search popup forms
Now several of these work out OK since they intend to submit the form and do a full-page refresh. Nonetheles, this was a great catch. IE-specific.

Time to move to JQuery4.

< Message edited by Eric -- 2/28/2010 6:52:00 PM >

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to PSUSteve)
Post #: 87
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 8:02:59 PM   
mocamro

sorry to pile on...when I am looking at the recent tasting notes of my wines (on homepage or the "wines" page), my favorite tasters are not identified with stars, like they are on the wine page or the individual tasting note page

Milos Cam-Robb

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 88
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 8:32:41 PM   
gestep

I got "trapped" by in the like/don't like loop too.  Accidentally clicked on of the links, and found no way to say "Oops, I didn't mean to do that".  Blockbuster has the same usability issue related to their movie ratings system (Please, don't belittle me too much, I've been meaning to switch to Netflix, but would rather spend my time drinking wine than moving over a movie queue.  )

--
Greg Estep

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 89
RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... - 2/28/2010 8:38:30 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: mocamro

sorry to pile on...when I am looking at the recent tasting notes of my wines (on homepage or the "wines" page), my favorite tasters are not identified with stars, like they are on the wine page or the individual tasting note page

That's not piling on. It's a bug. Thank you! Twill be fixed.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to mocamro)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: A running list of issues seen with GrapeStores... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI