1. zylmanj

2. Snoot Doggie Dogg

Snoot Doggie Dogg

3. kevindoc21

kevindoc21

• This is just a really good wine. In my opinion this is a wine I would want to bring to a party where people appreciate really good wine. The aroma is like blackberry pie in a pleasant way. It tastes good. Fruit forward but balaned and smooth with velvety juicy tannins that are very enjoyable. I had it by itself but I can't wait to try it with a grilled steak. I am very impressed with Cakebread's efforts to create an enormously pleasing mouthfeel. Well done. Their merlot also offers a similar mouthfeel.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• I passed through Omaha, NE on another cross country trip and made a point at stopping by a steakhouse for dinner. Omaha... steak... cow... The choice of wine was obvious. Cabernet Sauvignon!!

I had heard about Cakebread through The Great Courses class "The Everyday Guide to Wine" where the winery's influence on Napa Valley was discussed. I saw it on the menu and was intrigued, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to give it a try.

And I was NOT disappointed!! What a wine! Dark ruby in color, this was moderately aromatic with a rich nose full of ripe red and dark fruit as well as the hefty musk of earth. There was also some oak notable in the background as well. Upon sipping I was met with moderate acidity and gripping tannins overlaying a velvety texture. I want to emphasize, VELVETY texture! It was silky-smooth and massaged the tongue with its suppleness. Very flavorful, the profile was full of black currants, leather, earth, blackberry and cherry. The retronasal smell was earthy with cherry, and it had a long, dry finish.

I enjoyed this wine with some prime rib, and I'll tell you, it was a GREAT pairing! The tannins were softened by the protein of the steak, creating a harmonious balance between the meal and the wine. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

As usual, I include my wife's expert opinion: "It tastes like cherry rhubarb pie that someone put in the back of the fridge and forgot about for three weeks." Mmm. Sounds great!!

All in all this was a perfect pairing! The tannins were rather heavy, but this is after all a young wine. I can see this improving spectacularly with age as those tannins settle down. Definitely recommend getting a bottle of this and giving it a few years!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Further to my Note of July 8 2020: We returned to the bistro for another bottle--same facts. Consistent notes, thoroughly enjoyable once again but wondering how this will age. With that said, my approach to such questions is to check back vintages on CT and see how recently I can find consistent notes of enjoyment--one of the substantive values of CT if folks provide careful, thoughtful notes. On that basis, the basic Cakebread CS seems to hold up well over 10-15 or more years. I wonder if storage will be an issue for these bottles, but I'm unlikely to find out: we plan to return soon to order their last (of 3) bottle.

• Bought for 50 during half-price night at a local partially opened bistro (wine list price is 100, best US Searcher Pro today is 70). No true decant but opened 30+ minutes before serving. Dark purple; fragrant blackcurrant nose, some blackberry, some oak; deep and prominent fruit-forward flavors, some oak, some complexity, very good mouthfeel; good persistence. Delicious. Held back a glassful for one day with vacuvin and saw a significant falling off, almost unpleasant: wonder how this would age. Would not buy at retail but would at restaurant discount. My evaluation: For me, scores on a "100-point scale" are misleading. I use a 4-category scale (perhaps with +/-)--not including flawed--which runs outstanding/notable/drinkable/poor. This is notable+ when considering quality, age, and discounted restaurant price.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Clear deep ruby/purple with extracted colourful legs; clean medium plus nose of jammy cassis, jammy blackberries, vanilla, cocoa and baking spices; dry; medium plus acidity; medium plus tannins; high alcohol; full body; pronounced flavour intensity; pfn; medium plus finish; drink now or in 5 years; wished for a little longer finish, but otherwise delightful