1. dmcentaffer

2. Jbarryleonard

Jbarryleonard

3. MJP Hou TX

MJP Hou TX

• Smooth and elegant. Nice control of the tannins at this young age. Red and black fruit with some spice and herbal notes in the background. Lots of potential to improve with time. Delicious!

• This raw and layered Cabernet still needs a few more years to settle down, but it has the density and balance to be something special (even in a vintage that produced very few special wines). I've never tasted such density and character from this vineyard, but this bottle needs a lot of air if opening now (i.e., double-decanted 12 hours beforehand, followed by two hours of traditional decanting).

Dark red in color and full in body, the wine offers aromas of sour cherry, anise, and spice cake. Flavors of boysenberry, gravel, and graphite, with a layered and grainy finish. 14.8% alcohol. 94 on the first day, and 95 on the second, when it seemed to improve on every front: more floral in aromas, more silky in mouthfeel, and more integrated in flavor, with new notes of pie cherry, leather, and eucalyptus. This has tremendous upside in 2024 or later, with the greatest potential of any Napa 2017 I've tasted.

This wine had far more class and balance than two 2017 LPVs tasted at the same time (Fait-Main and Memento Mori), wines that came across as sweet and empty in comparison. To elevate this vineyard in this vintage is a tremendous accomplishment, which is one of the many reasons why Kinsman Eades is the most exciting young project I've come across in the last few years in Napa.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (6)

• Update from last night’s bottle (24 hours in But I did decant initially so it’s not a slow ox 24 which for sure had an impact). Little less than half bottle re-corked, no gas... I should have drank more night one. Drank outside MonkeyPod due to no Rez long wait. Oh well I have certainly drank in worse places... anywhoo wine still had a great mouthfeel (not as voluptuous as night one 2+ hours in) less straight cassis frontal allowing for more nuances (earth and mineral) but... the more nuances offsets last night’s blunt presentation which in this instance I prefer (not always the case). So my prognosis for my preferred window would be 2-3 more years before opening (‘16 will out live the ‘17) based on this haphazard experiment/tasting.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• What wine does one open for the first night in HI from a BMF selection... well can’t choose a 10 year old wine due to the blender like conditions from being stored at the bottom of the plane so... something 2016 or more recent it is.

I brought a wine from a new favorite winery albeit a vineyard and vintage that is not up there with my favorites- so it will be harder to be disappointed if all doesn’t go as planned.

No notes as kids were way over tired and a long travel day but impressions will have to do. 30 minute decant and then back in the bottle to take to an Italian restaurant on Maui. First 30 minutes (assume an hour decant by then) was just like a typical 2017 from the winemakers I enjoy- linear, boring, no where close to the price point but... this wine came off with more density than others I have had from the same vineyard which was a plus (for my palate anyway). I actually just left it in my glass for another 30 minutes (now going on 1.5 - 2 hours) more from a ‘lost interest kids and wife driving me nuts’ than from a ‘can’t wait to see what this will become with some more air’ - but when I did reach for the glass more to drown out my sorrows than looking forward to a great glass of wine- I must have done what could only have been described as whiplash from the other patrons. It went from a 89 typical boring 2017 to something delicious! The wine grew in depth with wonderful concentration of cassis and other goodness even if lacking a bit of structure (I assume a result of the vintage). now I look forward to paying more attention and enjoying again tomorrow (which is a surprise as I have some gems I am really looking forward to but they will have to wait).

I will add this to my handful of yummy 2017 which I can still count on one hand (La Pelle, Kinsman Eades and Maxem (not sure if that counts since non-cab but it’s my list so I guess I can do what I want).

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (19)

• Beautiful wine. Elegant and refined. I agree that this will certainly get better but I see no reason not to have one now. I loved it with a 4.5 hour splash decant.

• By Antonio Galloni
    2017 & 2018 Napa Valley In Depth (Jan 2020), 1/1/2020, (See more on Vinous...)

(Kinsman Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Sleeping Lady Vineyard Napa Valley Red) Login and sign up and see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    2017 & 2018 Napa Valley In Depth (Jan 2020), 1/1/2020, (See more on Vinous...)

(Kinsman Eades Cabernet Sauvignon Anjea Sleeping Lady Vineyard Napa Valley Red) Login and sign up and see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    Napa Valley’s Extraordinary 2016 Cabernets (Dec 2018), 12/1/2018, (See more on Vinous...)

(Kinsman Wines Cabernet Sauvignon Anjea Sleeping Lady Vineyard Napa Valley Red) Login and sign up and see review text.