1. Omar Khayyam

2. ct1

ct1

3. bugles

bugles

• Very good; needs at least 45 minutes of aeration prior to service if you want a better showing. Firmly situated in a secondary phase, with good vitality of fruit, and plenty of fresh acidity. As always, the tannins are sweet, perfectly fine, and the finish is long. No doubt this will continue to evolve, though its early tertiary aspects are at least 3-5 years from this point. Very classy, elegant. 13,5% abv., natural cork. highly recommended

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Needs air, and drinks a little young. Recognizably southern Italian. Outstanding wine, though, and had I not popped and poured but decanted for an hour the showing would have been even better. Was looking forward to the 2003 to follow, which exceeded my expectations.

• Agree with Tim Heatons note from 2017 - possibly that it now has even more elegance on the palate with cold coffee, some dried tobacco leaves, and a milk chocolate smoothness on the attack and finish. It has fruit, depth, with some slight leather aromas, smooth texture, freshness and elegance (i.e. not too big) and a structured finish that makes me think this will hold up for a while longer. I really like these wines from Silvia Imperato, taming the wild side of Aglianico without going all the way to the luxurious oaky exuberance of Maremma Bordeaux blends.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• My first experience with this wine, completely agree with SLOFred’s notes. If scoring, I would also give it a similar mid-to-high 80’s score, but I realize that this profile is what many are after so didn’t want to affect the composite score. We prefer something bolder and more fruit forward.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• I don't get how this wine scores so highly. I last tasted in 2014 and laid down my remaining 8 bottles in hope it would get better. No chance. This wine remains very shallow. It has a nice color, sparkly, but not deep as I expect for aglianico. Little nose, no fruit up front, totally missing mid and back palate. I don't get what people see in this wine. (and I really like aglianico). I really expected sooooo much for from a $57 wine. Too bad I still have 8 bottles left. This wine has no "come hither" at all.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (8)

• By Antonio Galloni
    Central And Southern Italy: A Wine Lover's Paradise (Feb 2013), (See more on Vinous...)

(Montevetrano Montevetrano) Login and sign up and see review text.