1. As-Is

As-Is

• From a half, acquired three years ago. Extra maturity has added some roundness compared to the March 2017 note. Hence improved score though losing some fizz.

• Was just in Champagne a few weeks ago and stayed in Rilly, which is the village directly west of Chigny. As we drove through Chigny several times, I wondered what houses might make it to the US West Coast and I guess I have my answer now. It was cool to see this bottle show up on the table, as it made sense now from a site standpoint where the fruit was originating. We drank this next to the Jacquesson 740, which was superior to me; however, the pursuit last night was not to declare a winner of the pair, only to enjoy them both so my comment is just to provide some context. Made with equal parts Chard, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier. I perceived the dosage here, and when tasted next to the 740, the dosage expression is distinctly sweeter in this Gardet. Caramel nose, which I suspect is some influence from the oak this is raised in. The acidity comes across as both tangerine/citrus and sweetish lemon-lime, with the influence of the Pinot fruits giving the wine a black cherry/raspberry fruited quality, too. I thought this wine got better with air but overall was on the sweeter side for my low to no dosage preferring palate.

• Very nice value here. Won't knock you socks off but it has all the pieces. Light gold color. There's a light rye bread and must aroma, interesting. Lemon rind and a big blast of citrus flavors. Medium weight and good complexity. Very long finish, excellent. There's also a light honeycomb note. Good stuff for the money.

• Two thirds Pinot Noir and Meunier and one third Chardonnay. Rather slight and somewhat dull. A mild disappointment.

• Pale gold, fine mousse; lemons, limes, bread dough, minerals; dry, apple, yeasty, light body, tart, decent finish
    Lightly flavoured with citrus, apple, bread, some minerals and tangy acidity. Went well with fresh figs but expected more.

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com.