1. suburbanfrog

2. Leomania

Leomania

3. hosscrow

hosscrow

• I'm always torn when it comes to "delicious wine" vs. "tastes like a wine made from this grape/region should". The notes from users lespaul and hosscrow from earlier this year provide ample insight into these perspectives; I agree with both on the flavor profiles, and I could go either way on punishing or rewarding via my rating as they did. Since IMO it's an enjoyable wine and it has evolved nicely, and it's not like I didn't know what style James makes when I bought the wine, I can't complain after the fact. It was damned good, and consistent with the winemaker's intent.

And to ya'll who are still holding, honestly, I doubt that it's going to get better than it is right now. If you haven't opened one in a while, I suggest you do. You'll enjoy it in any case.

• All McPhail Pinots are delicious. This one from Anderson Valley is my favorite. Medium ruby red moving away from the rim. Highly aromatic notes of bright red cherries, tea, clove, forest floor. Inviting. Medium to full bodied, soft texture, but full of flavor. Tangy acidity mixed with red fruits and spice make for a mouth filling experience. Beautifully balanced on the extended finish with lots of flavors. Well-made and complex, this wine was even better on the second day. Hold for a few more years.

• I was excited about this wine on release, and hoped it was a harbinger of Macphail's working more with Anderson Valley fruit. But unfortunately the heavy-handed house style (which I'm sometimes in the mood for) overwhelms any nascent AVA or vineyard characteristics. Big, dark, brooding, viscous, oaky California Pinot Noir. Very good as an example of that winemaking style, but not distinctive.

• very nice

• Jimmy Laube missed the boat on this one. Now way 89 points.

Burghound

PinotReport

NOTE: Some content is property of Burghound and PinotReport.