1. dmitchell4

3. Ace5glassesinthesky

Ace5glassesinthes…

Full Pull

• By Paul Zitarelli
    Full Pull A Serious Crush, 4/10/2017, (See more on Full Pull...)

(Result of a Crush Red Wine (Black Label)) Hello friends. Sometimes you’re lucky and sometimes you’re good. Today’s offer represents the former. Last autumn, I tasted two Result of a Crush wines from the Reynvaan sisters: the ’14 Christmas Cuvee that we could offer for $25 TPU and the new black-label red wine, a more serious effort that we could offer for $35. I loved both wines, but we only had space for one around the holidays, and the decision wasn’t too difficult, considering one of them literally has “Christmas” in the name. So we slotted in the Xmas Cuvee for November, and I had a note to return to the black-label in springtime. Well, here we are in springtime, and the winery has moved onto selling the 2014 vintage of the black label, so there’s increased interest in moving through the remainder of the ’13 kicking around Seattle. And by increased interest, I mean that we were able to commit to a volume level that secured us as competitive a tariff as we’ve ever had on a Result of a Crush wine. It’s considerably lower than $35. And just to be clear, despite the fact that our price for this wine is lower than our most recent Christmas Cuvee offer, this is clearly the more serious of the two wines. You can tell by the packaging (note: this is the label for the 2014 vintage), and you can tell from the juice inside, of which “the vast majority is declassified Reynvaan juice,” according to the family’s Seattle wine reps. Here is a quick reminder about the winery from the Reynvaan family, in case we have some list newbies who haven’t taken the plunge on our previous RoaC offers: Since 2011, sisters Amanda Reynvaan and Angela Reynvaan Garratt have been producing approachable red blends and Rosés from elite vineyards throughout the Walla Walla Valley and Columbia Valley in conjunction with their brother and consulting winemaker, Matt Reynvaan. The family started out in the wine business in 2004, launching Reynvaan Family Vineyards in Walla Walla, which quickly developed into a Washington State cult winery. With the Result of a Crush project the family aims to produce wines that are distinctive, affordable, consistent in quality and showcase the owners’ sometimes whimsical attitude toward wine. This particular bottling is an 85/10 blend of Syrah and Viognier, and if you’re noticing that doesn’t add up to 100%, well then you’re a mathemagician, and I’ll go ahead and tell you that last 5% is declass Reynvaan Cabernet Sauvignon. This clocks in at 13.5% listed alc and begins with an outrageous nose: ham hocks and rare roast beef, braising greens and olives, wildflowers and marionberries. The palate is a super-savory umami bomb, but it doesn’t overwhelm with richness; it contains a real sense of freshness that can sometimes be the missing element in Syrahs from this special part of the world. I would have felt completely comfortable offering this at $35 (especially considering that the single-vineyard Reynvaan Syrahs command $70-$100), but today’s tag is silly, and there’s nothing that leads me to believe we’ll ever see this pricing again.

NOTE: Some content is property of Full Pull.