1. MD20/20

1 Tasting Note

2. kkoshkin

3. Qventoid#11

• Dark purple with a red tinge. Nose of hoisin and soy sauce with black and red berries. This was another delightful bottle. Plenty of depth, complexity, and mouthfeel for anyone to enjoy. This had a lot of bacon fat, and smoked meat elements. Took me back to last summer's Cote Rotie trip... This really hit all of the notes and I'm kicking myself for not buying more last go 'round. Next time I won't make that mistake.

• Extremely hiigh-toned, infantile, primary, and almost impossible to rate given the time allowed for this to try to open up. Decanted in a wide-bottomed decanter for over three hours. It barely budged. It was nowhere enough time; it seemed like it was eons away from becoming anything even remotely accessible for at least a couple of years. This of course is my fault for popping this too early, but I was really surprised at how standoff-ish this bugger was even considering its youth. It actually reminded me of a top shelf Cote Rotie that needed a decade to chill out.

Some tart red and black fruits, with hints of smoke and Italian herbs, all masked in chalky, mouth puckering acidity and tannins.

I've absolutely loved Myriad Cabernets for some time now and can't say enough great things about what Mike Smith does with that varietal. This is my first go-around with his Syrahs, so keep that in mind. I don't have any experience or comparative insight with Myriad Syrahs specifically. But as Syrahs go, this was crazy tight.

I'm holding out hope this Halcon will become noteworthy in a few years. For now, I'll reserve any scoring. Hold until 2019.

• Delicious, waiting 12-18 months will reward you with a more mature, better integrated bottle.

• Gave this about 4 hours of slow ox, then into decanter for another 10 hours. Drank alongside a '14 Quivet Las Madres (Hulda).

This was the "frutier" of the two, but in no sense a fruit bomb - just less of the smokey/gamey qualities of the Quivet. Deep, dark purple. Medium + weight with some real liveliness on the palate. Finish was smoother than the Quivet right now. Would also note that the Myriad was in a big "wide bottomed" decanter so I was able to slosh it around quite a bit more than the Quivet (which was in a smaller decanter). I think the agitation might have helped the Myriad open even further.

Certainly needs lots of air right now, and will only get better.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (3)

• Pre-release look at and a much anticipated taste. I feel a special connection to this wine as it was at a Syrah night at my home where Paul and Mike met and this marriage of vineyard and winemaker was born. First off I have to comment on the color. The color purple is envious of this wine. I don't ever remember a Syrah with this deep purple hue. The color extraction is unreal. I have had this open for three days and it still has not busted fully out of its shell. Day 1 was sweet ripe black fruit with a leesy edge to the nose. Tonight it gives way to violets, intense blue and black fruit, smoky meat and peppery spice. A big acidic backbone looms in the background but three days has not been long enough to coax it out. Big, structured, showing off the small berries of this high elevation vineyard plus a rustic earthy edge. This is a candidate for the back of the cellar and an extended rest. You cannot give it enough air at this point in time. Kinda big boned like the '12 Scarlett Cab Sauv. The '15 version has 50% whole cluster and I think it will greatly benefit from the stem inclusion.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (2)