2014 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard 'Elysian'

Cabernet Sauvignon

Auction price: Register or sign-in to see quarterly averages or visit the Wine Market Journal
Drink between: 2020 - 2033 (Add My Dates)

1. DaButtah

2. WestUAg

3. River Rat

River Rat

• Last minute pull. PnP was a little hot with fleeting beams of sweet black cherry and black raspberry. Great wild and pure red, black, and some blue-ish/purple berry fruit, but just a bit overrun by the liqueur heat. Still smooth and silky on the back end; a good push of flavor on the immediate attack, but slightly flatter mid-palate, seemingly due to the sweet alcohol immediately following the core fruit flavors. Never astringent or biting; super quality juice that was fighting a bit with its transition past adolescence. Savory all day long, but also wonderfully backward in its initial delivery. This how this wine behaved for almost three hours.

On the final sips, it began to find its place in the world and reminded me why I’m always drawn to this wine. The heat dissipated and the fruit dropped into a much more purposeful and delineated glide.

Hold this for another year or two (I should’ve followed my own advice from my TN last year). Still a rockin’ wine, but one needing to finish college before it starts looking for a job. A “splitting hairs” tasting note, as this wine is in the upper echelon of Napa Cabs exactly where it belongs. I just figure it will best “boom” sometime in 2019/2020+. 95-96+ points with upside in a couple of years.

Side note: I drank the heck out of this bottle and though I tried to be studiously diligent and stupidly scientific about following this wine throughout consumption, I just simply gulped this down when I had the chance. Thankfully my other half paced me here and there which allowed me to evaluate it over a few hours. So if you "have to" open a bottle, decant for 3-4 hours first. Otherwise, hold for now.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Reluctantly, it’s probably too early to drink, but noticed enough notes to try. The wine is not hot or overly oaky, but is lacking in structure or complexity. Really disappointing. Seems like a love it or hate it wine. Not scoring.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (3)

• What a great wine, huge dark fruit on the nose and on the palate. Brooding and a little chewy this had everything you would love about a new style Cali Cab...the bottle lists 15.1% alcohol but I could not tell at all, the fruit was a little sweet but not overwhelming and it had just enough acid in there to balance it all out.

• Tasted at pop and pour and at an hour then after two. Paired with grilled beef and savory veggies, consumed over another 2 hours.

For both of us this was a bit cloying, over ripe and sugary. Air and time led to more flabbiness. We did not finish it.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• 3rd night since pulling the cork. Red currant and dark cherry abound. Purity, purity, purity, what a great mouthfeel to this wine. Rich but not as dense as the RM Panek. Leaning to a dark red berry profile, creamy with a touch of cedar and tar. Exceptional balance with not a hint of the 15.1% alc. Very layered, long and satisfying. Just a tremendous bottle of wine.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• By Antonio Galloni
    Napa Valley Trilogy: 2014, 2015 & 2016-Part1 (Dec 2016), 12/1/2016, (See more on Vinous...)

(Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Elysian Napa Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

NOTE: Some content is property of JebDunnuck.com and Vinous.