Community Tasting Notes (3)

• My second of two. Disgorged Sept 2017, 100% Chard and 1 g/l of dosage. I has a mixed feeling on the previous bottle, as I thought the wine was lean and tight. This one is similar, as it has structure, a minerally kind of thing, competing with the fruit that is here. I don't mind this racier expression, provided there is fruit to back it up. There is fruit here, which comes through as juicy apple, lemon/grapefruit and a drizzle of honey before the structure kicks in. This is not on the same plane as Marguet Les Bermonts or Marie-Courtin Eloquence, which are both 100% Chard, farmed clean like Falmet, and no dosage. Those wines for me, especially the latter, bring fruit/balance to the overall texture and resulting wine, whereas this Falmet is just struggling some to find a bit more fruit, or perhaps given the other components, maybe a touch more dosage, dare I say that. Good, not great.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• This showed very young and one dimensional as the mid palate dropped off quickly. Lean and edgy with strong acid, apple on the attack, salinity with citrus flavors at the finish.

• First of two, this was really coiled up. 100% Chardonnay, 1 g/l dosage. This took some coaxing to get the wine to release, as it was squarely about the soil for me. Aromatics of white flower and crushed rock, along with apple, saline, brisk lime and lemon. My closing notes that I scrawled during the party were 'taut and precise'. Needs air and lots of time, and sharing the same space as the NV Mousse l'Extra Or, which showed better.

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com.