1. Sheila62

2. Bob H

Bob H

3. paulg936

paulg936

• Cellared since my purchase..Ripe fruit with soil tones balanced by an almost perfect acidity and good minerality. I purchased these for 26 and that is good value. Great barbera that impressed me with its balance.

• I posted on this wine in Aug '15. I was not impressed with that bottle, even less with this one. Color: good, dark at the edge; Nose: muted, difficult to find fruit; Body: not particularly pleasant, rustic, hard to find fruit; Finish: nothing worth noting. Once again, I let this wine breathe for about 3h before trying it and saved enough from the first night to try it over four days. It never developed, and ox was imposing by day 4. I'll repeat my earlier comment: "I am generally cautious with better Piedmont red wines because I cannot know how long to let them breathe." My storage conditions: Stored carefully in dark basement with 50-55 humidity; corks do well, though I've had a few break on older bottles stored 10+ years closer to the dehumidifier. My evaluation: I'm tending not to give scores on a "100-point scale" as I've become less convinced that they can be meaningful to others. I'm inclined to use a 4-category scale (perhaps with +/-)--not including flawed--which runs outstanding/notable/drinkable/poor. I consider this '04 Conterno to be drinkable- when considering quality, age, and price.

• Dark cassis and smoke on the nose. Unctuous mouth feel, big fruit and some tar. A beautiful barbera.

• Just uncorked for a dinner tonight; translucent ruby in the glass, with ripe red & black fruits on the nose.

Sweet & tart red & black fruit on the palate, elevated acidity - if you like the flavor profile of a Barbera, this is drinking very nicely this morning! Nice length on the finish, with just a slight touch of alcoholic heat to distract at the end.

• VERTICALE CONTERNO BARBERA CASCINA FRANCIA: Il frutto inizia a terziarizzare e perde la carnalità che rende unica la Barbera.
    Profilo più stanco, autunnale e decadente. Mi aspettavo tutt' altro.

• By Antonio Galloni
    Giacomo Conterno: Barbera d’Alba Cascina Francia 2000-2010 (Mar 2014), (See more on Vinous...)

• By Antonio Galloni
    Italy’s 2001 Barolo and 2001 and 2003 Barbaresco vintages (Oct 2006), (See more on Vinous...)

• By Antonio Galloni
    Barolo 2002: New Releases (May 2006), (See more on Vinous...)