1. mtolerico

JLuch1

3. jenmermaidia

jenmermaidia

Community Tasting Notes (5) Median Score: 96 points

• No notes, just wrote down score for this.

• Checking in on this having not had a lot of the 17 vintage and this being my first Dr. Crane. Pour half the bottle in to a decanter and another half in to a storage bottle for tomorrow.

On pnp, nose was expressive with sweet maraschino cherries, floral and reminiscent of edleflower liquor. Palate was fairly primary and dominated by big dark berry fruit, dark chocolate chunk and heat. Was too hot and disjointed on pnp so placed decanter back in the cellar for a couple hours.

Much better after the decant, nose fairly similar but incredibly expressive and wonderful. Palate was also more expressive. Creamy mouthful, dark berries/blackberry, anise, St. germain, dark chocolate, dark earth. Finish was long and not cloying after the decant. That said, I would recommend decanting for a couple hours for best results at this time. I will check in on the second half of the bottle tomorrow and report back.

Day 2

Returned half bottle in to decanter, similar notes to day 1, but a little smoother and toned down comparatively. However, my wife who is arguably more of a wine snob than I, commented on how delicious it was and specifically paused after 30 seconds of tasting it and said "wow, the finish is still lingering." So perhaps I was having an off day.

Things to note during the day 2 tasting: Wine had decent grip day 1, but was generally smooth/sweet day 2, so not sure you would need to age this wine to make it more approachable. Furthermore, the acidity is there but there is also a fair amount of sweetness to the wine, so it is hard to say where this wine will go as it integrates further. That said, if you want the high octane version of this wine, drink it now with a decant.

Based on this tasting, I preferred this wine after a 2 hours decant.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (3)

• I did an experiment last night, tasting both the ‘08 and the ‘17 Myriad Dr Crane. A better scientist would have taken notes, so unfortunately I only have less detailed impressions to share.
    First of all, both were excellent. Much to my surprise, the ‘17 was by far better and very drinkable. I know everyone talks about opening these Mike Smith wines young and can’t keep them around long enough to age, but I really didn’t get it until now. There is something about that bright, ripe, luscious yet fresh fruit that doesn’t stick around for more than a year or two.
    In the case of this ‘17, it also had some beautiful spicy notes, like Christmas cloves and chocolate together. Many layers, round in the mouth, great acidity, some heat but not distracting, and I didn’t notice the tannins which probably means they were pretty smooth.
    This is so good right now, I feel like it would be wrong to hold my other bottles but I’m honestly not sure what to do. And then there is the magnum.... anyway, a good problem to have and this far exceeded expectations for me, given all the poor reviews for this vintage.

This ‘experiment’ challenged a number of my assumptions:
    1. A wine with a few years on it will always be preferred to a super young one (esp Cabernet)
    2. Napa cabs are always better with air vs PnP. In this case, both wines were at their best immediately after opening.
    3. There were no great wines in ‘17, just ‘good considering the vintage.’ I think the ‘17 Dr Crane qualifies as a great wine regardless.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (9)

• I have only tasted a few 2017s thus far and this offering was just outstanding. It was, unfortunately, the 1st good/great bottle of 2017 that I have had. When you drink this, you can forget about the year and concentrate on the wine.

Dark purple with slight red notes, a nice sweet (but not too sweet) smell, rich, luscious and creamy Mike Smith style that not over the top; just right. Lot's of purple and red fruit, notes of chocolate and coffee, and signature earth and gravel from the Dr. Crane Vineyard.

I coravin'ed a glass but it was so good, I opened it up and finished it off!

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (3)

• Mike Smith 2018s & 2017s - Myriad, Quivet, Scarlett, Becklyn, and others (Saint Helena): The standard Myriad Crane offers well-balanced flavors of black cherry yogurt, red and black licorice, and some gravelly earth notes. Faint dirt and soil notes can also be found running around in the profile as well, adding to make for a more complex experience overall. Finishes medium, with the red and black cherry notes repeating. Some alcohol is present on the tail, but not carrying much heat with it (which is a good thing!). As with most of the 2017s, hold for a while longer to get some heft going here.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

JebDunnuck.com

NOTE: Some content is property of JebDunnuck.com.