1. Guilz

Guilz

• Golden yellow colour tending towards old gold and orange. Cloudy. Unusual, intense odour. Not exactly flattering. Somewhat yellow-fruity, apple, mirabelle plum, but clearly on the crumbly side. Dried orange peel. Ginger. Unfortunately, horse stables and wet hay cover up the fruit, which is not fresh anyway. Even with air, this doesn't really go away.

Tart tannins on the palate, a third of the wine was fermented on the skins, but with a surprisingly lean body. After the first loud impression, there is a lack of substance. Bitter flavour, citrus peel again. Some lemon and grapefruit, sour but also watery. The finish is not too long. Unfortunately, it doesn't come across as pure.

What can I say about a wine like this without being disrespectful to the work of the winemakers? Having already tasted a red wine from the estate a year ago and having given it a positive review (2015 Joschuari), I was very open to this one. I was keen to find positive aspects, but in the end I have to say that after more than an hour the rest of the bottle ended up in the sink. I find it hard to explain the huge discrepancy. I'm happy with a natural approach, but the end result has to be a high-quality product. It shouldn't be a product of chance. In my opinion, this wine should have been labelled as faulty and should not have been allowed onto the market.