1. lkatz

RunningMonkey

JancisRobinson.com

Garagiste

• By Jon Rimmerman
    5/6/2008, (See more on Garagiste...)

(GABY Colombier Crozes) Hermitage #2 Dear Friends, I’m up late doing research on the emerging Bulgarian organic movement and I’m glad I stayed awake - Florent Viale has just graced us with a small allocation of his prized 2006 Cuvee Gaby and (despite my egalitarian principles) I’m keeping at least 6 bottles for my own “research”. I’m usually last in line for an allocation but I’m making an exception this time. This wine is simply amazing. It lies somewhere between Crozes and Hermitage for a price that puts it in rarified air for the very upper-crust of 2006 Northern Rhones. The regular Colombier Crozes may be the wine of the vintage (certainly in its price point) but the Cuvee Gaby should not even be considered Crozes. Culled from the very best barrels from 4-6 separate parcels of old-vines, It’s like getting the essence of 2006 Hermitage jr for a very good price.+. Smoke, intensity, cracked pepper, massive red fruit on a balanced, floaty and almost weightless (although still incredibly dense) frame, this low-alcohol dynamic Syrah is exceptional and the price is a laugh. You could have 10-15 bottles of this or one bottle of 2006 Chapoutier Ermite and that’s one of the easiest decisions I could ever make. I will be shocked if this doesn’t make many of your top ten lists of 2008. This wine is extremely limited so I’ll leave it at that...less than 100 cases for the entire US This parcel is directly from the winery cellar with perfect provenance: 2006 Colombier Crozes-Hermitage “Cuvee Gaby&rdquo Thank you, Jon Rimmerman Garagiste Seattle, WA Rhone8370

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com and Garagiste.