1. Barsacpinci

2. datorr

datorr

3. Hornetsmd

Hornetsmd

• Well guys and gals. I am not so sure I adhere to my prior comments on this cuvee. What a difference in opinion that my most recent tasting of this cuvee has caused me to express. Popped my most recent bottle for family New Years Eve fondue dinner with filet, chicken breasts, and shrimp (and a variety of dipping sauces horseradish or scallion based). Wow. This cuvee at 60ish degrees and bought directly from Don and properly maintained by me thereafter was fabulous. Tasty right upon popping the cork but even tastier after about 30 or so minutes in the decanter. Well balanced pronounced flavors of berry, spices, coffee, minerals, and black cherries. Long aftertaste.

• Not at all over the hill (assuming perfect cellaring from release) and flavors/profile consistent with great Harlans. Just not as much as the big boys. Would be an excellent wine if you didn't have to pay cult prices. Drink anytime, but wouldn't wait much longer.

• Deep ruby color with slight bricking on edge. Nose of cedar and leather. I wasn’t expecting much as I recall the first bottle I had of this ten years ago didn’t deliver. I opened at a dinner for non wine geek friends who’d be impressed with a cult wine but wouldn’t know a good wine from a beer. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and so were my guests. Very powerful black fruit with a hint of mint. So well balanced and showed multiple notes as we sipped it. Drinking beautifully right now. Maybe it just needed time! Went great with prime rib.

• Wine was good but did not meet expectations. Fell more into a fruit bomb category, and we enjoyed the Tor 2009 more that evening. We consumed half the bottle after 2-4 hours of being opened (no decanter), and revisited the bottle 20 hours later (did not cap the bottle) still drinking well, but it wasn’t anything special.

• My last notes on this wine still hold true except I will decant my next bottle only about 15 minutes and then start to enjoy. The nose is plentiful in delight upon opening but the pronounced scents start to fade at about the hour stage. Same holds true for the tastes.

JancisRobinson.com

• By Antonio Galloni
    Cellar Favorite: 2000 Harlan Estate (Aug 2015), 8/1/2015, (See more on Vinous...)

(Harlan Harlan Estate Napa Valley) Login and sign up and see review text.
  • By Stephen Tanzer
    June 2010, (See more on Vinous...)

Vintage Tastings

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2003, IWC Issue #108, (See more on Vinous...)

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2002, IWC Issue #102, (See more on Vinous...)

Decanter

The World of Fine Wine

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    9/6/2012, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 94 points

(Harlan Estate) Very dark red violet color; cassis, light menthol, mint nose; tasty, poised, cassis, light menthol, mint palate with sweet tannins; medium-plus finish
  • By Richard Jennings
    7/24/2004, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 94 points

(Harlan Estate) Lovely berry, cassis nose; berry, cassis, cherry palate with sweet tannins; medium finish

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com and Vinous and Vintage Tastings and Decanter and The World of Fine Wine and RJonWine.com.