1. FourCorks

2. Bosbevok

Bosbevok

3. Wineteacher

Wineteacher

• Bright blood red with a very skinny brick rim. Still quite young with juicy berry fruit on the nose. Slightly more complex on the palate with red fruits and white petals. Excellent integration of fruit, tannin, alcohol and acidity. I’m sorry it’s my last bottle purchased in 2008. Still has a couple of years before maturity reached. But needs to have been stored properly.

• Still dark with a slightly warmer color but very deep. The bouquet was dried fruit and spices with some leather. The taste is consistent with the bouquet. Complex with notes of maturity but in great shape. At the peak of maturity now displaying much of the character of a mature Bordeaux wine. This claret style of California Zinfandel is very appealing. This is an excellent wine. I should also note that this wine was cellar on very cool cellar temperature which may have helped preserve this wine and account for its excellent and improved condition.

• Drank with a fine filet on Labor Day.

• Has sacrificed some freshness to time, but still rich and well-integrated, an old friend.

• After drinking the first glass of this wine last night, I was convinced that it had devolved just as I'd expect a fruity, high-ABV CA Zin might after 10+ years - dry, woody, semi-unbalanced and lacking fruit. Then I had a second glass and found myself somehow enjoying it with my dinner. I reflected on the acidity and how it seemed to help carry it in that food pairing scenario. Now an evening later, I'm sipping a glass and expecting to wish I didn't have to drain this bottle after a hard day's work uprooting a tree, wanting (or expecting to want) something more befitting my manly toils. But after 20 minute I looked down and the glass was empty, and I realize that there's a good reason. The wine is actually quite well balanced and a joy to drink. It has a kind of rhubarb fruit, and the flavors are well developed and expressive. I taste pine and forest floor/redwood bark, and truffle even. I think I have to say this wine has stood the test of time and come out the other side better than it was a decade back. I wouldn't expect that from a highly rated CA Zinfandel from the mid 2000's. I think 95% of wine drinkers would find this bottle as easy and enjoyable a drink as I am myself surprised to find.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

WineAlign

• By John Szabo, MS
    9/23/2009, (See more on WineAlign...)

(Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel, Sonoma County red) Login and sign up and see review text.
  • By David Lawrason
    8/26/2009, (See more on WineAlign...)

Winedoctor

NOTE: Some content is property of WineAlign and Winedoctor.