1. andreaskoeberl

andreaskoeberl

• This was my second bottle and although I didn’t take notes last time I’ve had it about 1.5 years ago, this bottle was quite a notch better. Slow oxed for about 6 hours, followed by a 2 hour decant. It needed all the air it was given. Very interesting nose of rose petals, iron, cedar wood, cherries, and blood orange. Refined palate with fully resolved tannins and medium acidity. Flavors of iron, blood, red berries, red cherries, and a hint of italian herbs. Long finish. What a treat, finding a bottle in perfect shape.

• Annual Tasting Group Holiday Party (I Nonni, St. Paul, MN): Medium crimson red color, moderately cloudy, with a 3-4mm bricked margin. PNP, drank 1 + glass over 2.5 hours. Another really nice bottle following one Siggy brought about a year and a half ago. Not quite as absolutely ethereal, but simply wonderful. I love the complexity and perfume here, just a ton of potpourri and dried floral notes, earthy, red fruits, plenty in minerality - a suggestion of iodine, but a bit different I would say, a touch of roast meat, orange peel, and leather. The palate is medium bodied and quite fine, crushed red cherry, cranberry, orange peel, leather, dried earth, porcini mushroom, and some graphite on the deep finish. This was getting better all night long. There was a bit of a lull an hour in where I thought it might fade, and then it took off again. If I had the chance, I would have decanted this off the sediment and used cheese cloth as well. As Chablis28 noted. It is important to try to pour these the same way to avoid stirring up the sediment. With the amount of fine sediment here, I think it was still going to be comewhat murky anyway.

• Really fun aged Barbaresco drinking pretty well. Translucent (cloudy) crimson & amber edges color. Really intriguing! I'd like to taste one of these with the sediment fully resting on the bottom of the btl. Sediment not only effects color but also flavors to some degree. Our local group is pretty bad about pouring btls like this too with pours coming from every label direction, further disturbing the sediment. A guy at Chambers told me that its very important to deal with sediment in old Barolo & Barbaresco for best results. That said, a real treat! This evolved through out the night and actually got better after sitting in glass for around an hour.

• Dinner at Home (San Francisco, CA): Opened with Durand and double decanted with plan to slow-ox for 8 hours. Light amber with bricking; nose is amazingly aromatic, wafting out of the glass with floral perfume, rose, cinnamon, spices, tar, unbelievably aromatic and complex; palate is light bodied, fully integrated tannins, surprisingly plenty of integrated red fruit that gives the palate body and density, medium-plus to high acid wonderfully integrated to give freshness with not a hint of shrillness, elegant and ethereal throughout; finish is long and clean but also with density of flavor. I agree with Rocknroller's note from 6/30/16: The first thought is wow, and the second thought is wow. This is easily the best Nebbiolo I've ever had, and it may be the best wine I've ever had. I really hope I haven't ruined it by opening it too soon for our dinner... put the cork back in and will cross my fingers. 99-100
    Slow oxed 8 hours: It definitely didn't need it. I had put the cork in to try to reduce the oxidation. Still has wonderful complexity throughout the nose and palate, but now more palate than nose and has developed a bit of caramel on the palate which is new. Nose is still aromatic with spice, tar, very nice. Though maybe because of the air or because the shock of how good this is has passed, it's now merely exceptional. 96-98

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• Sadly my bottle was not kept in pristine condition. It was plummy with leather, dirty socks, mushroom, metal and chinese herbs. Abundant secondary and plummy flavors on the palate.